Train To Laos From Cm Possible?

james24

You can ask many tour agencies in ChiangMai to do visa run with van, leave in the evening Chiang Mai to Vientiane by van and come back next day or next two days I am not sure.

You can also take the bus from Chiang Mai to Udontani , then you can take the bus from Udontani - Vientiane.

There is also bus line from Chiang Mai-Luangpabang.

• Like 1

How does a bus get from Chiangmai to Luang Prabang without going through Vientiane?

New Chiang Mai-Luang Prabang bus route

January 20, 2012Richard Barrow

724_2492.jpg

A second class air-conditioned bus route opened Thursday from Chiang Mai to Luang Pabang as the 8th route linking Thailand with the Lao PDR. The route opening ceremony took place at the Chiang Mai Arcade bus terminal. The 44-seater air-conditioned bus departs once a day from Chiang Mai province and makes a stop in Chiang Rai before crossing the border to Louang Namtha, Oudomxay and Luang Prabang provinces of Laos. The journey takes 18 hours and the fare is 1,200 Baht. Once the fourth bridge across the Mekong River from Thailand, linking Chiang Khong with the Lao PDR’s Huay Xai, is finished next year, first class air-conditioned buses will replace the second services with a fare of 1,500 Baht.

In related news, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Transport Silapachai Jarukasemrattana said the high-speed train project from Bangkok-Chiang Mai should be ready for service in 2017. He said currently a study is beng carried out to see which route is to start first. Apart from the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route, two other preliminary routes are in the project: Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima and Bangkok-Hua Hin. The high-speed rail journeys are expected to link the entire country within 3-4 hours, Mr Silpacha said.

Sources: MCOT and NNT

cool link but they leave from Pai, oh no hold on is Chiang Kong the Laos border at Nong Khai or is the one at the Golden Triangle? I have to get a new visa, not a stamp

Edited by james24

You can ask many tour agencies in ChiangMai to do visa run with van, leave in the evening Chiang Mai to Vientiane by van and come back next day or next two days I am not sure.

You can also take the bus from Chiang Mai to Udontani , then you can take the bus from Udontani - Vientiane.

There is also bus line from Chiang Mai-Luangpabang.

Also possible, take the bus from CM to Khon Kaen.

Get your visa from the Lao consulate in KK

And then step in the direct bus from KK to Vientiane...........

And for those who love trains, connecting to the express from Bangkok there is a direct train to Lao, crossing the friendship bridge into Lao.

Get your visa beforehand, although I was told you can get a Lao visa on the station in Lao

Edited by hansnl

How does a bus get from Chiangmai to Luang Prabang without going through Vientiane?

New Chiang Mai-Luang Prabang bus route

January 20, 2012Richard Barrow

724_2492.jpg

A second class air-conditioned bus route opened Thursday from Chiang Mai to Luang Pabang as the 8th route linking Thailand with the Lao PDR. The route opening ceremony took place at the Chiang Mai Arcade bus terminal. The 44-seater air-conditioned bus departs once a day from Chiang Mai province and makes a stop in Chiang Rai before crossing the border to Louang Namtha, Oudomxay and Luang Prabang provinces of Laos. The journey takes 18 hours and the fare is 1,200 Baht. Once the fourth bridge across the Mekong River from Thailand, linking Chiang Khong with the Lao PDR’s Huay Xai, is finished next year, first class air-conditioned buses will replace the second services with a fare of 1,500 Baht.

In related news, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Transport Silapachai Jarukasemrattana said the high-speed train project from Bangkok-Chiang Mai should be ready for service in 2017. He said currently a study is beng carried out to see which route is to start first. Apart from the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route, two other preliminary routes are in the project: Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima and Bangkok-Hua Hin. The high-speed rail journeys are expected to link the entire country within 3-4 hours, Mr Silpacha said.

Sources: MCOT and NNT

I thought the Chiang Mai-Luangpabang bus was going to be first class. Guess I will have to wait.

About the train are they only going to service at high speed from Chiang Mai in the north to Hua Hin in the south. That is probably only half the distance from one end of the country to the other end. How much longer to get to the southern provinces. Not that I will be going there but we do go as far as Nankong Si Thamarat. Would love to do it with a high speed train.

Hubby and I took the trains from CM to Nong Khai -- there's a train you can get at the station Nong Khai that goes across the bridge into Laos.

It isn't necessary to go all the way to Bangkok to switch from the northern line to the northeastern line. You can make the transfer in Ayutaya. Plan at least two days for a one way trip.

What about Myanmar? Anyone tried there? It's closer to CM.

Definitely no trains to Myanmar.

Sorry, I didn't mean trains to Myanmar. I was just wondering if anyone had done visa runs there.

Typically the run to Myanmar (Burma) through Mae Sai to Tachileik is for an entry stamp ie: you already have a dual (or more) entry visa, you leave Thailand and reenter to start the next visa. The Thai embassy in Yangon is over 1,000 km from CM but, Vientiane is a little over 600 km. Personally, I have not seen or heard of anyone going to Yangon for a visa, not sure if it's possible. You might want to read up on the differences between entry stamps, permission to stay, and visas. It's good info to have filed away in mind. Have a look at: http://www.thaivisa....d-work-permits/

Edited by DowntownAl
  • Like 1

Im sure you can get a bus from Udon straight to the border and then straight on into Vientienne. I got it last time on the way out just not sure if it runs in... anyone done this, I think its called the international bus...?