What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

Cheap life time memberships are probably part of the problem.

Annual fees are a more sustainable business model so overtime fees can increase in line with general costs.

Of course these cheap life time memberships are a quick way to generate immediate cash flow but at the expense of longer term financial returns.

I don't think they lose by offering lifetime memberships in a place like Pattaya. Most of the lifetime members probably wouldn't have joined at full price and there's a huge drop out rate.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annual fees are a more sustainable business model so overtime fees can increase in line with general costs.

Of course these cheap life time memberships are a quick way to generate immediate cash flow but at the expense of longer term financial returns.

I don't think they lose by offering lifetime memberships in a place like Pattaya. Most of the lifetime members probably wouldn't have joined at full price and there's a huge drop out rate.

True, and in whole honesty, I admit I paid 15k for a life time membership and I only went twice goof.gif This was 'bout 3 years ago.

Maybe you are right hard to say really and i am only speculating.

I have always been put off by the loud music coming out of their gyms and the pushy sales staff. Not my style. It could be a number of factors like, poor management, low memebership levels, highly leveraged and unable to pay interest on debts etc

Maybe you are right hard to say really and i am only speculating.

I have always been put off by the loud music coming out of their gyms and the pushy sales staff. Not my style. It could be a number of factors like, poor management, low memebership levels, highly leveraged and unable to pay interest on debts etc

Yet it is/was the best gym in town by a long shot... of course the competition is dismal, making first place easy.

All gyms have pros and cons. In Pattaya you have to find the one with the least number of cons. Loud music is not difficult to get used to. Pushy sales staff are not an issue once you've joined. Having said that, the music had been a lot quieter of late.

I spoke with the AVE manageress today who I've known for years - I would not count on it reopening unless they come up with a load of cash. They're not worried about the legal process as their lease agreement is in their favor.

I am sure CA Wow finances were somewhat running smoothly when they first had their 2-3 fitness centers in Bangkok, but I think they over extended themselves with new openings (3 more?) in BKK,and Pattaya. --Just my guess. The fitness center in Pattaya would most likely make their profit from the short time user that vacations in Pattaya for a week or a couple months; whereas, the members in BKK are more permanent.

I think what the manager that runs the Avenue fails to realize how CA Wow was a magnet to bring in customers for the sport shops, Villa supermarket, Alan Bolton real estate and other businesses that are left in the empty quarters.

Another sad part of this are the ones who worked there who now have to look for another job...or some Thai members at CA Wow that had to save a long time to purchase their ONE year membership.

Went to check out Castra today and too far inside for me and not really what I am looking for. As Tropo mentioned Calwow is by far the best facility in town and trying to find a new place to workout will be a step down for all of us and not an enjoyable adventure.

So what are the alternatives ?

Castra gym: dark and almost no cardio, music is loud but they don't know that gym music is electronic music and not hard rock. They close too early and their location is so bad.

Tony: double pricing, you are considered like shxt and pay more than Thai

Dusit hotel: 30000 thb a year

Any other hotel gym ?

Why no Fitness first at Pattaya ?

Castra gym: dark and almost no cardio, music is loud but they don't know that gym music is electronic music and not hard rock. They close too early and their location is so bad.

Any other hotel gym ?

We obviously vary in our needs. I don't care about music, whether it's dark or not or double pricing. I care about the equipment and the air conditioning. Training at Tony's is like training in a sauna. You'd think he would have woken up by now and realized why his new plastic tent gym is so quiet. It's been open now for 2 1/2 years and no one goes there.

The sad fact is, there is nothing remotely close to California. We're all going to take a dive no matter where we go (if it doesn't reopen). It's not surprising it was so busy.

The best combo of air-conditioning with decent equipment I've seen so far is Fairtex - and after training there for over 2 hours on Saturday I discovered it's nothing special.

Edited by tropo

I am sure CA Wow finances were somewhat running smoothly when they first had their 2-3 fitness centers in Bangkok, but I think they over extended themselves with new openings (3 more?) in BKK,and Pattaya. --Just my guess. The fitness center in Pattaya would most likely make their profit from the short time user that vacations in Pattaya for a week or a couple months; whereas, the members in BKK are more permanent.

I think what the manager that runs the Avenue fails to realize how CA Wow was a magnet to bring in customers for the sport shops, Villa supermarket, Alan Bolton real estate and other businesses that are left in the empty quarters.

Another sad part of this are the ones who worked there who now have to look for another job...or some Thai members at CA Wow that had to save a long time to purchase their ONE year membership.

It's not the manageress doing this it's her Bangkok head office calling the shots.

Any other hotel gym ?

We obviously vary in our needs. I don't care about music, whether it's dark or not or double pricing. I care about the equipment and the air conditioning. Training at Tony's is like training in a sauna. You'd think he would have woken up by now and realized why his new plastic tent gym is so quiet. It's been open now for 2 1/2 years and no one goes there.

The sad fact is, there is nothing remotely close to California. We're all going to take a dive no matter where we go (if it doesn't reopen). It's not surprising it was so busy.

The best combo of air-conditioning with decent equipment I've seen so far is Fairtex - and after training there for over 2 hours on Saturday I discovered it's nothing special.

From what I understand the AVE can take possession of all inside CAWOW under the lease so don't be surprised if nothing changes except the name and owner.

Any other hotel gym ?

From what I understand the AVE can take possession of all inside CAWOW under the lease so don't be surprised if nothing changes except the name and owner.

I wouldnt be surprised to see all the calwow equiptment at the new Tonys on Buakow that is due to open sometime next month

Any other hotel gym ?

Royal Cliff Hotel has a fitness club

I wouldnt be surprised to see all the calwow equiptment at the new Tonys on Buakow that is due to open sometime next month

I would be. There is no way that they will liquidate that equipment for the price Tony would want to pay for it.

Any other hotel gym ?

Again, the equipment probably won't relocate just a change of name and owner of centre is more likely. Noticed that the number of security guards at yesterdays afternoon muster had significantly increased.

Edited by seadoo

Again, the equipment probably won't relocate just a change of name and owner of centre is more likely. Noticed that the number of security guards at yesterdays afternoon muster had significantly increased.

You mean they had more old ladies and disabled pensioners in place?

I take it from the lack of joy, that the situation remains the same.

Great pity, good value for money,maybe too cheap when you look at what others offer for higher fees, my membership expires August so I can't complain as I've had my money's worth, feel sorry for those who have recently renewed or joined though

Just had a phone call from my trainer at CAWOW, dialled from his mobile number, to tell me that they hope to have the power on ASAP and he will call me again as soon as he can confirm!

So it would appear they are working on it, otherwise, why bother to call!

Edited by Oink

Just had a phone call from my trainer at CAWOW, dialled from the main number, to tell me that they hope to have the power on ASAP and he will call me again as soon as he can confirm!

So it would appear they are working on, otherwise, why bother to call!

Thanks for the update. It sounds very promising. Please keep us updated.

I would be. There is no way that they will liquidate that equipment for the price Tony would want to pay for it.

I would never underestimate Tony's capabilities and connections n Pattaya. He also owns a lot fitness facilities now so he would seem the perfect buyer

Edited by ericg1953