What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day off today. We'll just have to standby for reports. If I don't hear anything I'll swing by there early this evening.

It's not looking good.

I am going in within the hour, if it is closed will have to drop in to Tonys, need to work out.... if this si the end of CW is there more besides tony's and those ones I see that are open to the roads :)?

I was there about half hour ago...it is still closed. Same sign as before (re: opening Tuesday morning).

Maybe they mean next year? I am ever hopeful. ermm.gif

Noted that Villa Supermarket and The Avenue carpark almost deserted. I guess the gym did generate some traffic for The Avenue after all.

The more I think how this closing (temporarily or permanently)of CA Wow, the more disgusted I become. You would think the "powers at be" could give a professional explaination of what is happening. Forget all the hip posters, and trendiness of the place, how one deals with customers is important also. (I bet their employees are in the dark also)

The more I think how this closing (temporarily or permanently)of CA Wow, the more disgusted I become. You would think the "powers at be" could give a professional explaination of what is happening. Forget all the hip posters, and trendiness of the place, how one deals with customers is important also. (I bet their employees are in the dark also)

They have posted on their website the notice about Major pulling the plug on them,o do which is something I guess as wasn't there yesterday.

For Major to do this at all the Cal Wow sites must be some serious bad debt and issues, Not a decision made lightly to affect such a large company, employees & customers

Was at the Pattaya gym an hour ago and as some have said the gym is still closed. The sign outside is shown below. (Click to enlarge)

post-1736-0-09192900-1340787589_thumb.jp

As you can see the notice is now out of date. A Thai lady with husband who was there had spoken to their call centre in Bangkok on 027893222 (haven't checked to see if this is existing number or new number) . She was advised that the gym would be opening next week. How up to date that info is I don't know but it does not bode well for those who wish to return to exercising in their preferred gym any time soon.

As someone who worked in customer service for 35 years I can only comment that CAWOW and their customer services department have done nothing to instill confidence in any possible new recruits by remaining quiet until today on their website about the problems with their gyms. A total lack of decent communication has been displayed by management. Whether or not they open up again I would think they have alienated some possible newbies to a gym that I have been happy to be a member of.

I am hopeful that my membership will continue with their Pattaya location.

Edited by dalmatian

Well I went to Tony's today, didnt like it as much but it will have to do, seems to be a mixture of old and new machines but you go to travel around the complex to find them. The Ancient AC units arent great but thas life.

One interesting thing is I met a Personal Trainer from California Wow working out. I asked him about it and he said California Wow is finished, zero money, says it is closed forever unless someone else chims in and buys it.

Edited by krey

Well I went to Tony's today, didnt like it as much but it will have to do, seems to be a mixture of old and new machines but you go to travel around the complex to find them. The Ancient AC units arent great but thas life.

Which Tony's gym did you train at? Was it 220 baht?

I'm going to slum it at Castra for awhile. It's like going back in time 30 years - kind of nostalgic actually. Just a warning to anyone considering this option. Unless you're really into free weights, don't bother. The machines are archaic. DB selection is excellent, although they are a bit bulky for their weight... up to 185 lb'ers would you believe. I gave the 155's a go the other day. Getting them out from under the rack was the hardest part. I don't think many people use the 115 - 185lb'ers.

Someone a few pages back asked me about their cardio machines: 1 rower (it's not a Concept2 rower), 2 recumbent bikes, 3 upright bikes, 3 cross trainers (elliptical) , 3 tread mills and 2 steppers. They're all domestic standard.

There are no ab machines, so you'll be doing it tough the old fashioned way with a sit-up board and leg raises.

It's just an honest old style gym with no frills and friendly staff.

Edited by tropo

Which Tony's gym did you train at? Was it 220 baht?

I'm going to slum it at Castra for awhile. It's like going back in time 30 years - kind of nostalgic actually. Just a warning to anyone considering this option. Unless you're really into free weights, don't bother. The machines are archaic. DB selection is excellent, although they are a bit bulky for their weight... up to 185 lb'ers would you believe. I gave the 155's a go the other day. Getting them out from under the rack was the hardest part. I don't think many people use the 115 - 185lb'ers.

Someone a few pages back asked me about their cardio machines: 1 rower (it's not a Concept2 rower), 2 recumbent bikes, 3 upright bikes, 3 cross trainers (elliptical) , 3 tread mills and 2 steppers. They're all domestic standard.

There are no ab machines, so you'll be doing it tough the old fashioned way with a sit-up board and leg raises.

It's just an honest old style gym with no frills and friendly staff.

I'm not really bothered about cardio, I have a pool for that. I try to train with free weights as much as possible (aside from pulldowns and leg press) so it looks ideal!

I don't know Pattaya that well, but the gym looks quite far out. What's the quickest way to get there and how?

WOW was 10 mins walk from me so it was perfect.

if you think Firtex is a plastic gym for posers you obviously know nothing about training...have you actually ever been there and worked out?..Just hope people from CW dont influx on the place.

Been there once - crap... Full of prima donna's wanting to show off their "sport wear"

There is however a lot of other good facilities there it has to be said.

Prices for membership are also too high for going 3 or 4 times a week for 40-50 minutes.

9K annum with pool isnt expensive....early morning no prima donnas, clean towels, saana, good staff, shamppo etc in showers, great gym.

LOL for anyone who hasn't visited the California Wow website, here are screen shots of the latest two "slider" images on their home page. What a difference a day makes. At least someone in Marketing was still there yesterday!!

cawowmessages.jpg

The second image has been there well over a month

i've heard that CW will open in 1-2 days. Hope so....

Not according to the Manageress of the AVE - I had a meeting with her today - also long time friend and there's not much of a chance unless they clear their debts.

Not according to the Manageress of the AVE - I had a meeting with her today - also long time friend and there's not much of a chance unless they clear their debts.

That is also what I think, however if they can get a court ruling, and that is what I think they are trying right now, they will open regardless of how stubborn and powerfull Avenue management is.

That is also what I think, however if they can get a court ruling, and that is what I think they are trying right now, they will open regardless of how stubborn and powerfull Avenue management is.

Without even realizing, but in my opinion Avenue is shooting itself in the foot and butt.

Without WOW, the whole place is a deserted, sooner rather than later, smaller retailers will be closing its doors and moving.

The sports shops, i am sure be gone immediately, and the rest will follow.

In case you don't know Avenue has been dead for years, fitness or not.

Hey, does anyboy knows REFRESH FITNESS near the cheap Italian restaurant on THAPPRAYA road ? (Danon maybe ?)

I cannot fin their website.

Is it good ? Do you know the price ? Opening hours ?

Thanks.

Without even realizing, but in my opinion Avenue is shooting itself in the foot and butt.

Without WOW, the whole place is a deserted, sooner rather than later, smaller retailers will be closing its doors and moving.

The sports shops, i am sure be gone immediately, and the rest will follow.

Don't think so that retail space has an option on it already.

In case you don't know Avenue has been dead for years, fitness or not.

Hey, does anyboy knows REFRESH FITNESS near the cheap Italian restaurant on THAPPRAYA road ? (Danon maybe ?)

I cannot fin their website.

Is it good ? Do you know the price ? Opening hours ?

Thanks.

For someone who KNOWS so much, i am puzzled how you do not know about Refresh FItness, their hours, prices and condition.shock1.gif

Also can not believe you do not know the name of the restaurant, the cheap Italian one next to itsaai.gif

Yes but as you can see i now know about Refresh and I was right that the italian is Danon, so I still think that many people should buy a brain before postind stupid things on this board :-)

Sure, I remember so many shops moving into The Avenue, but sadly I recall as many moving out after a few months.

Wasn't there the great change plan which was announced one and a half year ago, and which you also defended so much on this forum as the ultimate plan,where they created a foodcourt, made it a mobile or IT mall and a night market and whatever more.

Where is all this these days?Did the foodcourt even function for 6 months? I don't think so,more like 6 weeks

We all know that The Avenue was a deadborn child, but as of lately you hear an echo from your footsteps while just walking around there.

Yes but as you can see i now know about Refresh and I was right that the italian is Danon, so I still think that many people should buy a brain before postind stupid things on this board :-)

i agree, you should take your own advicethumbsup.gif

I'm not really bothered about cardio, I have a pool for that. I try to train with free weights as much as possible (aside from pulldowns and leg press) so it looks ideal!

I don't know Pattaya that well, but the gym looks quite far out. What's the quickest way to get there and how?

It's a long way out. You'll need your own transportation as it's east of Sukhumvit - maybe about 2km. There's a Google map linked back in this thread.

You better get back into squats because the leg press is pretty rough.

if you think Firtex is a plastic gym for posers you obviously know nothing about training...have you actually ever been there and worked out?..Just hope people from CW dont influx on the place.

Been there once - crap... Full of prima donna's wanting to show off their "sport wear"

There is however a lot of other good facilities there it has to be said.

Prices for membership are also too high for going 3 or 4 times a week for 40-50 minutes.

9K annum with pool isnt expensive....early morning no prima donnas, clean towels, saana, good staff, shamppo etc in showers, great gym.

I don't know if the 9.6K gym only membership includes the pool.

The gym is not great, it's barely adequate in fact. It's small and there's only one of everything, so expect long waits when there's more than a few people in there. The DB area becomes crowded with more than 3 people and the squat rack is cluttered with junk on both sides.

It's a long way out. You'll need your own transportation as it's east of Sukhumvit - maybe about 2km. There's a Google map linked back in this thread.

You better get back into squats because the leg press is pretty rough.

Ok thanks, I do squats as well as leg press on leg day. Looks like Tony's is my only option for convenience then, I live near soi 9 on 2nd rd.

Edited by TingTong187

---------------------------------------

I am not impressed with the "Manageress" of the Avenue, she probably ranks with the poor management of CA Wow the attitude she has. Look at how that The Avenue has degraded the past couple years. And you think she would try her best to negotiate a way to HELP CA Wow to stay open since this fitness center is a magnet for bringing in customers to the various shops and Villa Market. But seeing how the "manageress" runs things there, this would be out of her comprehension.

Sure, I remember so many shops moving into The Avenue, but sadly I recall as many moving out after a few months.

Wasn't there the great change plan which was announced one and a half year ago, and which you also defended so much on this forum as the ultimate plan,where they created a foodcourt, made it a mobile or IT mall and a night market and whatever more.

Where is all this these days?Did the foodcourt even function for 6 months? I don't think so,more like 6 weeks

We all know that The Avenue was a deadborn child, but as of lately you hear an echo from your footsteps while just walking around there.

Yes correct this was all leased out to a group of thais who set it all up and suddenly disappeared under circumstances which let everyone down including all the shop owners that paid their security deposits. So nothing to put on the AVE apart from a group that leased out an area promoted it and took off.

---------------------------------------

I am not impressed with the "Manageress" of the Avenue, she probably ranks with the poor management of CA Wow the attitude she has. Look at how that The Avenue has degraded the past couple years. And you think she would try her best to negotiate a way to HELP CA Wow to stay open since this fitness center is a magnet for bringing in customers to the various shops and Villa Market. But seeing how the "manageress" runs things there, this would be out of her comprehension.

the less tenants the more time to sleeptongue.png