What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

i've heard that CW will open in 1-2 days. Hope so....

Not according to the Manageress of the AVE - I had a meeting with her today - also long time friend and there's not much of a chance unless they clear their debts.

---------------------------------------

I am not impressed with the "Manageress" of the Avenue, she probably ranks with the poor management of CA Wow the attitude she has. Look at how that The Avenue has degraded the past couple years. And you think she would try her best to negotiate a way to HELP CA Wow to stay open since this fitness center is a magnet for bringing in customers to the various shops and Villa Market. But seeing how the "manageress" runs things there, this would be out of her comprehension.

Actually to the contrary she has managed to bring in new restaurants, like oshi and others, managed to get the roof underway, and quite a few other things such as the new staging areas and hopefully a couple of new major fast food outlets - the decision to cut off CAWOW is not from her but her bkk head office but I guess you already knew all that didn't you.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think so that retail space has an option on it already.

Sure, I remember so many shops moving into The Avenue, but sadly I recall as many moving out after a few months.

Wasn't there the great change plan which was announced one and a half year ago, and which you also defended so much on this forum as the ultimate plan,where they created a foodcourt, made it a mobile or IT mall and a night market and whatever more.

Where is all this these days?Did the foodcourt even function for 6 months? I don't think so,more like 6 weeks

We all know that The Avenue was a deadborn child, but as of lately you hear an echo from your footsteps while just walking around there.

Yes correct this was all leased out to a group of thais who set it all up and suddenly disappeared under circumstances which let everyone down including all the shop owners that paid their security deposits. So nothing to put on the AVE apart from a group that leased out an area promoted it and took off.

Maybe that group of Thais opened their eyes,hence they ran for cover, something the Avenue management should do also.As other posters said already,Cawow was a magnet for many shops on life support in the Avenue, let's see what happens with those in the near future

Is anybody of you now going to Universe? Just 80Baht for one session, 4000 for one year...

Good idea - I should head down there for a look as I haven't seen inside there for about 5 years. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Is anybody of you now going to Universe? Just 80Baht for one session, 4000 for one year...

Good idea - I should head down there for a look as I haven't seen inside there for about 5 years. I'll have a look tomorrow.

So, who knows, maybe we'll se us (at the moment I dunno who u are but maybe if I see you :D ) It's not that bad, i think (have been there 2 times now), good value for money...

Edited by Lukizatrus

Well I went to Tony's today, didnt like it as much but it will have to do, seems to be a mixture of old and new machines but you go to travel around the complex to find them. The Ancient AC units arent great but thas life.

Which Tony's gym did you train at? Was it 220 baht?

I'm going to slum it at Castra for awhile. It's like going back in time 30 years - kind of nostalgic actually. Just a warning to anyone considering this option. Unless you're really into free weights, don't bother. The machines are archaic. DB selection is excellent, although they are a bit bulky for their weight... up to 185 lb'ers would you believe. I gave the 155's a go the other day. Getting them out from under the rack was the hardest part. I don't think many people use the 115 - 185lb'ers.

Someone a few pages back asked me about their cardio machines: 1 rower (it's not a Concept2 rower), 2 recumbent bikes, 3 upright bikes, 3 cross trainers (elliptical) , 3 tread mills and 2 steppers. They're all domestic standard.

There are no ab machines, so you'll be doing it tough the old fashioned way with a sit-up board and leg raises.

It's just an honest old style gym with no frills and friendly staff.

Yes I went to the Tony's on Third Road, both sides, to check it out, I dont hate teh gym, I just dont like it as much as where I was going. Find the equipment old, laid out all over the place and I am not a big fan of crossing the street to go to other machines. The swimming pool is a nice bonus but I already got one at my place, I just needed a place for working out and cardio. Yes it was 220 baht to drop in. I been told this is the best Tony's which makes me not want to visit the rest:) I give Wow for what I do about an 7 or 8 out of 10 and Tony gets a 4 or 5.

Personally I dont even care if there is prima donnas in any gym, i am there to work out i dont pay attention but even at Wow sure there are a few big guys but they never bothered me.

Edited by krey

Yes I went to the Tony's on Third Road, both sides, to check it out, I dont hate teh gym, I just dont like it as much as where I was going. Find the equipment old, laid out all over the place and I am not a big fan of crossing the street to go to other machines. The swimming pool is a nice bonus but I already got one at my place, I just needed a place for working out and cardio. Yes it was 220 baht to drop in. I been told this is the best Tony's which makes me not want to visit the rest:) I give Wow for what I do about an 7 or 8 out of 10 and Tony gets a 4 or 5.

Personally I dont even care if there is prima donnas in any gym, i am there to work out i dont pay attention but even at Wow sure there are a few big guys but they never bothered me.

I've never even considered the idea of crossing the street during a workout to use different machines. That's dedication, but you'd lose the feel having to walk that far between sets.

That's exactly the way I see Wow. People think because I'm so pro-Wow that I think it's the best gym in the world. No, it's not - but it was by far and away the best we've had in Pattaya (until it closed). I'd give Tony's a grade a bit lower than yours - about 2. He'd be higher if he used the air conditioning, but you can't have good workouts in a sauna so it negates the benefits of having a decent amount of workable equipment.

I just can't justify spending 220 baht for a casual workout at Tony's. It's just not worth it.

Edited by tropo

Bangkok Ekamie etc. is still closed. Makes sense that they would put their limited funds into getting Pattaya back open as they can argue that Paragon etc. is still open for business. I was there today. Triple the usual wanke_rs playing with their cell phones sitting on the machines for 20 minutes. And I'm not exaggerating in any way.

Edited by ricklev

I remember there is negative news about every start up in Pattaya.

But California Wow is not your normal 'start up' company is it?

More like an international franchise like McD? 7-11? etc?

The irony is maybe that McDonalds hold a significant amount of shares in Cawow.

ACK - for a while the telemarketers from CW called every time after i ordered delivery at McD !!! sick.gif

I've never even considered the idea of crossing the street during a workout to use different machines. That's dedication, but you'd lose the feel having to walk that far between sets.

That's exactly the way I see Wow. People think because I'm so pro-Wow that I think it's the best gym in the world. No, it's not - but it was by far and away the best we've had in Pattaya (until it closed). I'd give Tony's a grade a bit lower than yours - about 2. He'd be higher if he used the air conditioning, but you can't have good workouts in a sauna so it negates the benefits of having a decent amount of workable equipment.

I just can't justify spending 220 baht for a casual workout at Tony's. It's just not worth it.

I had no plans on spending 220 on each workout but I was starting to check myoptions on new gyms cause i wasnt sure about Wow (it was a test phase), if they were going to re open, I crossed the street cause I wanted to get an idea on what they had on both sides. Just dont find Tony's is laid out well and bigger size doesnt mean better gym. In any case just worked out at Wow and felt much better, I hope they stay open. I noticed two different Thai girls signing up for memberships, have to admit it would be risky to join this quickly. Hope it stays open... if not I will check out others... only time will tell

I remember there is negative news about every start up in Pattaya.

But California Wow is not your normal 'start up' company is it?

More like an international franchise like McD? 7-11? etc?

The irony is maybe that McDonalds hold a significant amount of shares in Cawow.

ACK - for a while the telemarketers from CW called every time after i ordered delivery at McD !!! sick.gif

I have to admit the telemarkerts and sales girls are a little too agressive. They called my ex girlfriend every day for two months and always ran out when they saw us together using tactics such as dont you want your girlfirend to be with you in gym adn stuff like that She just didnt want to go:) we ended up having to go in and talk to the manager at the time to get them to stop calling, though that was 2 years ago, not sure how agressive they are now.

WOW!!!

Great news, crisis over for the time being smile.png

Until June's electricity bill is overdue for payment anyway.

That's absolutely correct - June's electric bill is due mid month in July same as all the shops if not paid by then you have till end of month plus interest to pay or they cut you off without warning.