What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

Until June's electricity bill is overdue for payment anyway.

That's absolutely correct - June's electric bill is due mid month in July same as all the shops if not paid by then you have till end of month plus interest to pay or they cut you off without warning.

From the information we've been given, the landlord disconnected the electricity. I think the problem is bigger than just electricity - it's a matter of paying rent.

I'm really concerned now because due to the bad publicity caused by this short closure it will be even more difficult to generate cash flow.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!

Great news, crisis over for the time being smile.png

That's absolutely correct - June's electric bill is due mid month in July same as all the shops if not paid by then you have till end of month plus interest to pay or they cut you off without warning.

It is clear that there already was a court ruling about that issue, and that The Avenue thought they could take law in own hands, after which Cawow got there ruling enforced by the court.

I'm sure the Avenue will be in hot water if they try again to cut off the electric in mid next month.

Even in Thailand there seems to be a court protection against creditors when in the process of bankruptcy filling.

Edited by pipo1000

Why all the negative discourse?

There seems to be a group of people who want California Wow to fail.

You're right Tropo - led by PP and FB - people who either don't use CaWOW, or gyms at all, but seem to get a kick out of having a dig at the place, disparaging the people that work-out there, and gloating when it closed. Very odd.

I'm back in Pattaya on Sunday and looking forward to my daily visits - and thanks for the updates.

So anyone still interested in lifetime membership with gold card? still for salesmile.png

How much? Are they transferable?

I am pretty sure can be transferred,they might charge few hundred baht for it. price is open to offers.smile.png

PS. Selling because i can no longer train due to injury and surgery

for those with an interest in this i am happy its open again

personally i hated it simply for all the telemarketing calls i got from them

however the best bit about it re-opening for me is that Tony will have to eat a big slice of humble pie

in that his new radio advertising campaign is offering a 10% / 20% discount on his gym memberships on production of a membership card from the 'other big gym that has just closed''

now that's a moment to savor........

however the best bit about it re-opening for me is that Tony will have to eat a big slice of humble pie

in that his new radio advertising campaign is offering a 10% / 20% discount on his gym memberships on production of a membership card from the 'other big gym that has just closed''

Was that 10 or 20%?

Was that 10 or 20%?

10 annual 20 lifetime

I am glad it is open, a regular visitor when I am in Pattaya.

I am not sure just how viable CW Pattaya will prove to be. I would like to see it taken over and run as a standalone Pattaya gym. If run for its members, and run as a business and not as a piggy bank, it would prove to be successful and useful part of the community here.

Good news for members, however; caution is the operative word for those considering new membership.

Yes, but if they don't make a huge push for new members, there's no chance for survival.

Good news for members, however; caution is the operative word for those considering new membership.

Yes, but if they don't make a huge push for new members, there's no chance for survival.

perhaps reasonably priced short term memberships would bring in some loot?

Yes. Currently they charge 1000 baht for a casual workout, which is just like saying - "we don't want you here".

Whatever they do, the only way they have any chance of succeeding is by totally revamping the tired old franchise business model which has failed miserably. I don't see any strong management making tough decisions.

They have 4 huge escalators running full time. How much power could they save by putting in activating beams?

A very good idea would be to turn the top floor into a cardio only area and increase the size of the 2nd floor weight training area. Downstairs they could lose office space and put in a health restaurant, coffee shop and juice bar.

The place has huge potential.

• Like 1

Maybe they've been given the opportunity to trade out of their financial predicament. And I wish them well.

But this membership model of business has a definite leveling out phase. The company reap a fortune during the early days, but once they've milked the area for memberships their cash flow becomes non existent.

Just this week I saw an article about Fitness First close to collapse in Australia. They're closing down many centers.

I wouldn't touch a membership with a ten foot pole. And life time memberships can't be taken seriously.

Does the owner still have his mansion north of Phuket and stable of Ferraris?

Take the money and run... seems to be the Thai attitude toward doing business--not in it for creating an estabilished, reputable business. I guess that is why there are so many international chains surviving in this country.

Maybe they've been given the opportunity to trade out of their financial predicament. And I wish them well.

But this membership model of business has a definite leveling out phase. The company reap a fortune during the early days, but once they've milked the area for memberships their cash flow becomes non existent.

Just this week I saw an article about Fitness First close to collapse in Australia. They're closing down many centers.

I wouldn't touch a membership with a ten foot pole. And life time memberships can't be taken seriously.

Does the owner still have his mansion north of Phuket and stable of Ferraris?

You can't compare Pattaya with a typical Australian locale. The population is very transient here. Life time memberships for the right price have made them a lot of money.

Even in a normal city, at least 90% of members don't continue on training. In Pattaya I suspect the fall out rate may be far higher.

If you're a regular visitor to California Wow you'd notice that a large percentage of members are in the over 50's age bracket. They're not the type which would be interested in training at sub standard Tony's type establishments unless they had absolutely no choice. California Wow caters to a gap in the market place. These people are smart enough to realise that you don't sweat your way to fitness and that you need good quality equipment in a cool environment in order to get into shape.

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic, Not about Tonys
  • Like 1

The life time membership thing can work for both the biz and the person. The money should be used to set up the club and then the residual invested, not squandered. This will provide an ongoing source of funding for the company, something that can tide it over during those lean days every business experiences. A "life-time" membership can mean 50 years or nothing. People die, people move, people lose interest. In a place like Pattaya more so. Start with a gaggle of lifers, then move to annual membership, all properly managed and you will be happy all the way to the bank.

California wow's remaining branches are closed this weekend as they seek a court order against the landlord to reconnect power ans water. They claim the landlord is in contempt of court. Things are getting dirty.

http://www.thaivisa....l-wow-branches/

California wow's remaining branches are closed this weekend as they seek a court order against the landlord to reconnect power ans water. They claim the landlord is in contempt of court. Things are getting dirty.

But the Pty branch is open?!

It was today.

Amen to that, and may it stay open forever and ever.rolleyes.gif

Funny as I was in Tony's yesterday and they was an ad stating reduced membership for CAWOW members due to the gyms closure. A limited offer of 20percent off or something.

There was only about 5 people in Tonys around midday.

And it was absolutely stinking hot.

I think things are very clear as to this companies financial situation, would steer clear unless they do a PAYG, may be there a good deal for PAYG if you are prepared to haggle?

Funny as I was in Tony's yesterday and they was an ad stating reduced membership for CAWOW members due to the gyms closure. A limited offer of 20percent off or something.

Which Tony's were you in? The 20% is for lifetime memberships and there's a discount of 10% for normal memberships.

Which Tony's were you in? The 20% is for lifetime memberships and there's a discount of 10% for normal memberships.

Tonys World or whatever it is called next to the Muay Thai training place.

I dont mind the gym there. If it was cooler I would be quite happy. I am finishing up in Singapore next month and I am going to be in Pattaya full time for awhile so I will have to look around at the other options. It is just too uncomfortable to train there on a regular basis.

Very quiet this morning for a Monday, seemed a bit warmer than usual, but still comfortable and the TV's appear to be on cable rather than True(?) there were fewer staff around than normal so maybe they are trying to cost down on a few costs, not a criticism just an observation.