What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. What did you think of the cardio stuff at Castra

Wasn't impressed. Looks like most of it is domestic quality but I'll have a closer inspection later on. For now I'll pass on that and use the weights.

Bit confused by castra, website says 109tb daily 5999 yearly (I think) picked up a leaflet in the Gym and quotes 99 and 4999 repectetively.

Not over impressed with equipment, but will do at a pinch

Either way, it's fairly reasonable pricing. I didn't realise just how far ahead of all the competition California was until I was forced to check it out.

Edited by tropo

Bit confused by castra, website says 109tb daily 5999 yearly (I think) picked up a leaflet in the Gym and quotes 99 and 4999 repectetively.

Either way, it's fairly reasonable pricing.

They have been warning of a price rise at the start of June since the beginning of the year but at the moment have delayed putting it in place - not sure if/when it will happen now.

Either way, it's fairly reasonable pricing.

They have been warning of a price rise at the start of June since the beginning of the year but at the moment have delayed putting it in place - not sure if/when it will happen now.

Now would be the best time for them to raise the price.smile.png

Hi everybody.

I and my friend Paid 20000 bath 2 days ago... Shoot!!!

Two years we haven't known any problems with caliwow.

How if it was closed did you pay?

Easy. He posted this comment on June 23, therefore he paid on June 21 when it was still open.

A quick BKK update from today (June 25). As reported already by others, Ekamai was shuttered when I went this morning. Went to Sukhumvit 23 (Asoke) branch. Open, but almost no staff there (one person at door, one at towels, one woman cleaning -- absolutely no training or gym staff). The place was a mess. No air conditioning. No water or any drinks for sale. About 8 people using the machines downstairs.

you sure you will find out what is really going on at CW, I doubt it very much. They have closed down venues and the provisions for those who had long term memberships have been non existant, bet not even a refund has been made to anyone.

Why would they need to make refunds? Members that trained at clubs that are now closed are offered to exercise at other clubs in the same city.

If the manufaturer of your television,car or motorbike goes broke, do you also expect a refund?

I think it's safe to assume that if a company goes belly up, they're hardly in a position to give refunds.

However, I think there's a big difference between the car/motorbike/television situation you mention and a service industry. In the cases of the vehicles or TV, you actually received the goods, but in the case of California Wow, you didn't actually receive what you paid for.

A quick BKK update from today (June 25). As reported already by others, Ekamai was shuttered when I went this morning. Went to Sukhumvit 23 (Asoke) branch. Open, but almost no staff there (one person at door, one at towels, one woman cleaning -- absolutely no training or gym staff). The place was a mess. No air conditioning. No water or any drinks for sale. About 8 people using the machines downstairs.

That was how it went down in Pattaya on Friday.

I think it's safe to assume that if a company goes belly up, they're hardly in a position to give refunds.

However, I think there's a big difference between the car/motorbike/television situation you mention and a service industry. In the cases of the vehicles or TV, you actually received the goods, but in the case of California Wow, you didn't actually receive what you paid for.

A gym membership is a bit different. Imagine how you'd feel if you paid the full membership the day before it closed.

It used to be this way in Australia, but they have stricter regulations now after a big chain went broke back in the 80's leaving everyone high and dry with lifetime memberships.

Gym memberships are a gamble in Thailand. There's no way around it.

If it opens again soon, when will it close for a while again, I would be searching for a new place to work out.

Thanks for the advice. I will not be searching for a new place to work out until I find out what is going on, and even if I do need a new place to work out at, having lived and trained here for 6 years I'm (painfully) aware of the selection of gyms available.

As with a lot of these companies - they take big loans based on business then pay themselves huge salaries for a couple of years then the company defaults on it's loan obligations and goes under

Well, Tony has just announced that he will give 10% off memberships and 20% off of lifetime memberships for people that sign up at his gyms in Pattaya if they show their membership card from Cal. He also has a large new place opening up on Soi Buakhao in July. About the size of his Sport World place.

Edited by Avarius

On the website it says they are doing repainting and renovations at some clubs. I hope for all concerned that this was happening in Pattaya although it is not mentioned on the websites. Also they are advertising New Extended Operational hours in locations including Pattaya, Pinklao, Paragon, Chiangmai, Ekkamai and Esplanade.

Am sure Pinklao closed down

Of all the people I know that are lifetime members, they have constantly worried for the past few years if they would get their moneys worth.....if youve had a run for 3 or 4 years suppose you break even..

I had a good run of 5 years! If they put their hand out to lifetime members for a "rescue" surcharge, I'd be happy to cough up say 2k or 3k. They have 140,000 members of which 7,000 are in Pattaya (per their 2011 annual report). Even if only half the membership paid the surcharge, they'd have quite a tidy sum. They can even structure it so that those who have been there longest (hence extracted most benefits) can pay more than say a one year member. Some transparent, viable rescue plan may instill some confidence and attract new members? One thing is for sure, that silly lifetime membership with 100baht per annum fee needs to change into something more realistic.

Oh, and leaving the staff, managers and members in the dark is not a good look!

Edited by doggie888888

Hi everybody.

I and my friend Paid 20000 bath 2 days ago... Shoot!!!

Two years we haven't known any problems with caliwow.

How if it was closed did you pay?

Easy. He posted this comment on June 23, therefore he paid on June 21 when it was still open.

Okay got that, but me as a avid reader of TV would have had second thoughts about it being as it has been well documented on here that they are having major problems. Unlucky to the poster who lost that money and did not really get a chance to use the club.

I don't think it will open again.

Just finished another sad workout this afternoon at Castra...

There's was a new sign posted on the door of California this afternoon. I'll get it off my phone and post it here shortly.

Of all the people I know that are lifetime members, they have constantly worried for the past few years if they would get their moneys worth.....if youve had a run for 3 or 4 years suppose you break even..

I had a good run of 5 years! If they put their hand out to lifetime members for a "rescue" surcharge, I'd be happy to cough up say 2k or 3k. They have 140,000 members of which 7,000 are in Pattaya (per their 2011 annual report). Even if only half the membership paid the surcharge, they'd have quite a tidy sum. They can even structure it so that those who have been there longest (hence extracted most benefits) can pay more than say a one year member. Some transparent, viable rescue plan may instill some confidence and attract new members? One thing is for sure, that silly lifetime membership with 100baht per annum fee needs to change into something more realistic.

Oh, and leaving the staff, managers and members in the dark is not a good look!

I'd go along with that too. I'd even consider a re-negotiation of membership. Unfortunately there is zero communication with members and no one seems to have a clue what's going on so who could trust them.

They just don't have a clue with regards to customer relations. A smart operator would have posted a staff member at the door over the weekend and today explaining to the hundreds of members what's happening. A lot of members are already assuming the worst.

Edited by tropo

No kidding. Why wouldn't they send an SMS? I suppose that, realistically, existing customers who have paid in advance mean little to them. They are just a resource drain.

They need to keep their existing customers happy, because not all of them are lifetime memberships. Sooner or later they will renew. They are a valuable asset to the company and need to be treated as such.

What always amazed me was how much space the administration staff used. Surely they could have made a lot of extra money with a protein/drink bar - they had the space.

Cheap life time memberships are probably part of the problem.

Annual fees are a more sustainable business model so overtime fees can increase in line with general costs.

Of course these cheap life time memberships are a quick way to generate immediate cash flow but at the expense of longer term financial returns.