Traffic Lights - Turn Left On Red - Warning

smedly

it seems that there are still some idiots in Pattaya who think that a sign saying "Turn Left Waiting Light" means go ahead and drive through the red light.

Hi Spalpeen;

I don't consider myself as an idiot wink.png but I am not a native English speaker, and the first time I saw this sign I was really perplex about it. The way I first understood it was "you can Turn Left at the Waiting Light"... Wrong!

In fact I even took later a picture of this panel and ask an English friend about it. For me it's not clear at all; rather like they want to confuse me... A "No Turn Left at Red Light" whould have been a lot simpler/clearer for me.

Edited by Pattaya46

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems that there are still some idiots in Pattaya who think that a sign saying "Turn Left Waiting Light" means go ahead and drive through the red light.

Hi Spalpeen;

I don't consider myself as an idiot wink.png but I am not a native English speaker, and the first time I saw this sign I was really perplex about it. The way I first understood it was "you can Turn Left at the Waiting Light"... Wrong!

In fact I even took later a picture of this panel and ask an English friend about it. For me it's not clear at all; rather like they want to confuse me... A "No Turn Left at Red Light" whould have been a lot simpler/clearer for me.

My apologies if I offended any non English speakers. The guy who ruffled my feathers was an idiot not because he couldn't understand the sign, despite being an English speaker, but because he followed me to a car park, jumped out of his car and wanted to start an argument. In any country, that really is idiocy.

Hi Spalpeen;

I'm also not English native but have no understanding the sign.

Turn left wait(ing) light as in wait for the green light

Maybe we can get someone like HM or TD to do a story on this ?? And maybe they can convince City Hall to change the signs by just adding a "No" or maybe some TV members can organize and one day hit all these signs with a Permanent Marker ??

Edited by MJCM