Traffic Lights - Turn Left On Red - Warning

smedly

I was waiting on 3rd to turn left into pattaya thai,and this truck honked me to turn,i pointed up to the sign,she told me to <deleted> move,i told her to wash her mouth out lol,she got to my right and turned across me to turn left,silly woman.

To be honest though i had no confusdion whatsoever as to whatr the sign meant.Just because it wasnt there the day before no excuses for missing it.

Same deal for me last night, on a bike turning left from Pattaya Tai to 3rd Road. I had to wait in the right lane because you cannot get in the way of cars wanting to (illegally) turn left.

If you are in a car blocking the turn you could end up with some real problems if some aggressive Thai drivers were being held up.

You can't win here.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from this "new" situation, there is also the new situation at every T-juntion with Sukhumvit.

If you would like to turn right into North Pattaya Road, Central Pattaya Road and South Pattaya Road, you must wait at the red light. There is a sign "Stop here at red light!" and there are road markings.

I heard that there is even a law here that says, you have to stop at red traffic lights.Didn't really notice that on my trip between Pattaya and Laem Chabang today,or any other trip for that matter in fact.

Aside from this "new" situation, there is also the new situation at every T-juntion with Sukhumvit.

If you would like to turn right into North Pattaya Road, Central Pattaya Road and South Pattaya Road, you must wait at the red light. There is a sign "Stop here at red light!" and there are road markings.

I heard that there is even a law here that says, you have to stop at red traffic lights.Didn't really notice that on my trip between Pattaya and Laem Chabang today,or any other trip for that matter in fact.

It's pretty rough that people don't stop at red lights, but let's put this into perspective. In developed countries (Australia) red light cameras are necessary to ensure compliance. Without strict enforcement they're never going to take red lights seriously. The responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of the police.

What we're seeing in Pattaya is probably what used to be the situation back home 60 years ago. There's a lot of catching up to do. It takes time to go from jungles to civilized cities. Taking them off horseback (elephants, buffalo) and putting them into powerful new cars requires an adjustment period. When developed countries were thinking up road rules the cars weren't as powerful. It's dangerous times.

Edited by tropo

It's pretty rough that people don't stop at red lights, but let's put this into perspective. In developed countries (Australia) red light cameras are necessary to ensure compliance. Without strict enforcement they're never going to take red lights seriously. The responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of the police.

What we're seeing in Pattaya is probably what used to be the situation back home 60 years ago. There's a lot of catching up to do. It takes time to go from jungles to civilized cities. Taking them off horseback (elephants, buffalo) and putting them into powerful new cars requires an adjustment period. When developed countries were thinking up road rules the cars weren't as powerful. It's dangerous times.

Yes,but what bothers me the most is that those MIB are posted at a traffic light and stop everybody who doesn't wear a helmet and fine them. while at the same time at the same traffic light tourbuses with 50 human lives seated inside accelarate when the traffic light 50 meters ahead switches to red.An aal this without a blink of the MIB.

Regarding traffic light camera's that there was a news topic several years ago that they did a test with 10 traffic light camera's in bangkok for 1 month.I recall that in that month they registered 76.000 offenders.

That's actually a good thing. At present if you stop at the line you'll have a whole mass of traffic barging past you and stopping out in the middle of the junction. However, I still think the police here are more interested in collecting money than changing behaviour. It's the same in the UK where they recently started prosecuting people who flash their headlights to warn other drivers of a speed trap ahead.

It's the same in the UK where they recently started prosecuting people who flash their headlights to warn other drivers of a speed trap ahead.

Serious? They just started doing this? It's been illegal to warn other drivers by flashing headlights in Australia for decades.

Yes,but what bothers me the most is that those MIB are posted at a traffic light and stop everybody who doesn't wear a helmet and fine them. while at the same time at the same traffic light tourbuses with 50 human lives seated inside accelarate when the traffic light 50 meters ahead switches to red.An aal this without a blink of the MIB.

You've just got to let it go. It's not going to change. I'm horrified daily over what I see here.

It's the same in the UK where they recently started prosecuting people who flash their headlights to warn other drivers of a speed trap ahead.

Serious? They just started doing this? It's been illegal to warn other drivers by flashing headlights in Australia for decades.

Nah, they try it on every now and again. Almost everything you do in the UK is illegal. If you flash your lights to warn oncoming drivers of an oil spill or a loose horse on the road you're breaking the law. In Thailand, light flashing or horn blowing only ever means one thing - "Get out of my way'.

As for Australia, I'm not surprised. It's been a police ever since it was first set up as a prison colony.

• 4 months later...

I've revived this thread for general information. The grammar may not be perfect, but it seems that there are still some idiots in Pattaya who think that a sign saying "Turn Left Waiting Light" means go ahead and drive through the red light.

This is the problem - the poor grammar leads to ambiguity. I am told the Thai version basically says you cannot turn left on the red light (not a literal translation). Why Thais cannot read these signs I don't know.

The blue sign at the junction of Second Road and Klang is clear and unambiguous. Every body knows about it and there is no problem. Someone in City Hall needs to address the quality of these signs and replace the "Turning Left Waiting Light" signs.

Nah, they try it on every now and again. Almost everything you do in the UK is illegal. If you flash your lights to warn oncoming drivers of an oil spill or a loose horse on the road you're breaking the law. In Thailand, light flashing or horn blowing only ever means one thing - "Get out of my way'.

As for Australia, I'm not surprised. It's been a police ever since it was first set up as a prison colony.

But Australians are fairly good at not paying fines, In one state overdue fines currently top A$1billion, will catch up to them when renewing their licenses.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/unpaid-fines-flying-towards-1-billion/story-e6freon6-1226424871566

I've revived this thread for general information. The grammar may not be perfect, but it seems that there are still some idiots in Pattaya who think that a sign saying "Turn Left Waiting Light" means go ahead and drive through the red light.

Why are they "idiots"? As Cruncher says below the wording is ambiguous and most Thai's just ignore them and do what they do at nearly every other junction turning left.

This is the problem - the poor grammar leads to ambiguity. I am told the Thai version basically says you cannot turn left on the red light (not a literal translation). Why Thais cannot read these signs I don't know.

The blue sign at the junction of Second Road and Klang is clear and unambiguous. Every body knows about it and there is no problem. Someone in City Hall needs to address the quality of these signs and replace the "Turning Left Waiting Light" signs.

Agreed that sign is crystal - what I cannot understand is why they have different signs?

On Thursday I was "dutifully waiting" by the "sign" in Pattaya Nua & Third Road junction...An Idiot PEGAS driver behind me started blasting his horn.... (I had no intention of moving)...... my gf rightly said to me "sit tight cos' he won't pay your fine" which is absolutely right .....DON'T GET BULLIED (hey I am not the most patient person but laws are laws)

Last night waiting to turn left at the Third Road & Pattaya Tai Sign....... the lights turn to green...... as usual the light jumpers are still coming across........ then a full 5 to 10 seconds later two OAT buses come thundering through..........

It is worse driving here than in Bangkok

Edited by DD13

On Thursday I was "dutifully waiting" by the "sign" in Pattaya Nua & Third Road junction...An Idiot PEGAS driver behind me started blasting his horn.... (I had no intention of moving)...... my gf rightly said to me "sit tight cos' he won't pay your fine" which is absolutely right .....DON'T GET BULLIED (hey I am not the most patient person but laws are laws)

Last night waiting to turn left at the Third Road & Pattaya Tai Sign....... the lights turn to green...... as usual the light jumpers are still coming across........ then a full 5 to 10 seconds later two OAT buses come thundering through..........

It is worse driving here than in Bangkok

I'm coming from the North sideover 3rd road and am waiting for the red light at the Pattaya Klang section to turn left.The traffic coming from the South side has green light and a policeman is tanding at his usual place obstructing traffic adjusting the light cycle.

At that point a tourist bus comes from the East side and turns left onto 3rd road, through the red light of course and the policeman has to move not to be crushed by the bus, at the same time a motorbike with 3 people without helmet comes from the West side and travels through the red light as if it isn't existing . laugh.pnglaugh.png

Personally I think that turning left against a red light at some of the busy junctions is pretty dangerous. Some people make the left turn cutting up traffic going straight across the junction. I am all in favour of enforcing the law.

I just wish the police would get a bit of publicity going and City Hall would install sensible signage.

Why are they "idiots"? As Cruncher says below the wording is ambiguous and most Thai's just ignore them and do what they do at nearly every other junction turning left.

[

I don't think that 'waiting light' is all that ambiguous. It's hard to read the word 'waiting' as clearance to drive on through a red light. Also, the idiot driver who tried my patience today was a farang resident, not a Thai or tourist. I wouldn't bother commenting on Thai driving habits. This idiot thought that repeatedly sounding his horn would persuade me to drive through a red light. As someone said above, I doubt if he would pay my fine.

<snip>

This idiot thought that repeatedly sounding his horn would persuade me to drive through a red light. As someone said above, I doubt if he would pay my fine.

I feel ya Brother, I had the same thing happen to me today where a Foreigner in his car (I was on a MC) tried to push us out of the way by constantly honking his horn and revving his engine. I just moved to the front of the line of the other lane and let the idiot pass.

You don't wanna know how many middle fingers exchanged hands wink.png

And unfortunately this time there weren't any BiB waiting to fine his b@tt.

Patience is a virtue

[

I don't think that 'waiting light' is all that ambiguous. It's hard to read the word 'waiting' as clearance to drive on through a red light. Also, the idiot driver who tried my patience today was a farang resident, not a Thai or tourist. I wouldn't bother commenting on Thai driving habits. This idiot thought that repeatedly sounding his horn would persuade me to drive through a red light. As someone said above, I doubt if he would pay my fine.

Agreed but "Turn Left Waiting Light" to quote you definitely is - as many others have observed. Simply add "No" in front of it and it is very clear.

I do not disagree on your second point but perhaps he was unaware and unless you had a conversation with him who know's.....

[

Agreed but "Turn Left Waiting Light" to quote you definitely is - as many others have observed. Simply add "No" in front of it and it is very clear.

I do not disagree on your second point but perhaps he was unaware and unless you had a conversation with him who know's.....

Oh he was aware all right. I was at the 3rd Rd/P.Tai junction and the donkey then followed me down the road, into the car park of Friendship supermarket and jumped out of his car to berate me for wasting two minutes of his valuable time by obeying the sign.

Big mistake. Jai yen. Never get into an unnecessary confrontation. He received a quick crash course on road etiquette and the meaning of the words "waiting light".

<snip>

This idiot thought that repeatedly sounding his horn would persuade me to drive through a red light. As someone said above, I doubt if he would pay my fine.

I feel ya Brother, I had the same thing happen to me today where a Foreigner in his car (I was on a MC) tried to push us out of the way by constantly honking his horn and revving his engine. I just moved to the front of the line of the other lane and let the idiot pass.

Patience is a virtue

Do the BiB ever stop cars and fine the drivers for this? Too much like hard work I think, much easier to pull over half a dozen bikes.

<snip>

Patience is a virtue

Do the BiB ever stop cars and fine the drivers for this? Too much like hard work I think, much easier to pull over half a dozen bikes.

Yes they do. Regularly. They have been doing it for some months now.

From what I have seen it is mostly Thais driving anything from old bangers to Mercedes. There seems to be no discrimination.

[

In a place where it's OK to go through some red lights legally then 'Turn Left Waiting Light' is ambiguous to an English reader as it could mean Turn Left (AT) Waiting Light or (NO) Turn Left Waiting Light.

There's also one at the junction of Soi Khao Noi which says 'Left Turn Straight On' which drivers seem to interpret as go through the red light even though there is traffic coming from your right out of Soi Khao Noi. There IS a soi to the left just 20 metres from the lights so the sign may well mean you can go through the red light if you're going to turn left down that soi.

My belief is that the signs in English are made deliberately ambiguous to create extra opportunities for the BiB's to supplement their income.

They also seem to be blocking off more and more right turns around the town with temporary barriers forcing more people to wait at their beloved red lights for half a day. These barriers only used to appear at busy times like holidays and weekends but now just seem to be left in place the whole time which is extremely annoying when traffic is light. Of course the Thai's just u-turn around the end of the barrier and carry on as usual but I have no doubt that the day I copy them and do the same will be the day the BiB is waiting with his "Go Directly to Jail, Do Not Pass Go" card.

My belief is that the signs in English are made deliberately ambiguous to create extra opportunities for the BiB's to supplement their income.

They also seem to be blocking off more and more right turns around the town with temporary barriers forcing more people to wait at their beloved red lights for half a day. These barriers only used to appear at busy times like holidays and weekends but now just seem to be left in place the whole time which is extremely annoying when traffic is light. Of course the Thai's just u-turn around the end of the barrier and carry on as usual but I have no doubt that the day I copy them and do the same will be the day the BiB is waiting with his "Go Directly to Jail, Do Not Pass Go" card.

They are creating a traffic jam on intend with their policies.

If you're on a motorbike intending to obey the sign to wait for the green light to turn left,... good luck. It won't belong before some impatient driver will be honking at you and ready to run you over. If you don't heed the warning it could get ugly as many of these Thai drivers are prone to road rage, especially if a foreigner is inconveniencing them.

You have no other option than to wait in right or middle lane if you intend to wait.

Well fortunately anyone who's read this thread now knows that "Turn left waiting light " means wait for the green, and that the police do lurk around corners waiting to catch you, so the world is a wiser place now.

After reading this topic and this post before I went out in the car today, I was more aware of the rules. At places i would previously have turned left, I asked th g/f if it was OK to turn. She told me, 'No.'

Those signs do read - Turn Left Waiting Light.

That to me is giving us the right to turn left at a red light for onward traffic but it is obviously a bad translation as the Thai tells you differently.

Yet on the other hand some signs do say STOP on turning light.

Very confusing. But now I know better ... thanks to this thread and it may save me a few Baht ;)