Trampsing Around South East Asia Long-Term.

Hi

Can anyone advise me if there are any restrictions ie visa burearacy issues that I need to consider for trampsing/touring around South East Asia

Thailand,Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam Myanmar and Malaysia.

My intention is to use up my visa limit in each destination before moving on to the next country, is there anything preventing me from doing this as I intend to spend a number of years doing this and obviously will be returning back through the countries I would of previously travelled through.

Has anyone here done this?

Watch the number of pages in your passport, some of those countries use a full page visa sticker, and passports can be burned through quickly.

Good point I'll need to discover how I stand on this with the amount of moving about I intend to do.

Watch the number of pages in your passport, some of those countries use a full page visa sticker, and passports can be burned through quickly.

Good point I'll need to discover how I stand on this with the amount of moving about I intend to do.

You dont state what Nationality you are, but as an example, UK you would need to apply to Hong Kong for a new passport, USA can have pages added at their Embassy. The other point is validity, some will need a minimum of 6 months left on arrival, others only for duration of stay.

I did this for 2 years about 10 years ago. Back then, you could just do visa runs and it was no biggie. Now I think they are tracking this and only allow you to be in Thailand for 90 days, then you have to leave for 90 days. I'm not 100% sure on that, but would be worthwhile to figure it out.

Even if this is true, you can work around it easily. I'd get a 90 day visa before you leave your home country. Spend 90 days in Thailand and then move on for 90 days in other countries. Easy to head over to Cambo, then onto Vietnam, then on to either Laos or even China. You didn't mention China, but I love that country. Ok, it's kinda love/hate...but so much to see.

At the end of your 90 days out, head back here. Next time, head south to Malaysia, then on through Indonesia and to Bali. After 90 days, head back here.

As for finances, make sure you have 2 ATM cards from 2 different banks. Nice if you can get one Cirrus and one PLUS. Not sure how it is today, but many years ago, the Philippines only supported one. Same was true in Ecuador. Luckily, I had friends who could send me money via Western Union, but it was a pain. And I've been on travels when one card gets canceled for some crazy reason. Nice to have a backup.

I'd also look at some travelers insurance with repatriation. If you get hurt in, say, the back waters of China, you're going to want to head elsewhere if you can for sure.

Cambo has an evisa service now, so easy there. I've heard Myanmar is heading that direction also. Vietnam and China, you need to get one before you head over. Thailand is visa on arrival, but at land borders, it's only 15 days. Extensions here can be really expensive. And overstays are dangerous.

How old are you? Do you plan to stay in Thailand a majority of your time? If so, maybe a retirement visa would be better????

• Like 1

You dont state what Nationality you are, but as an example, UK you would need to apply to Hong Kong for a new passport, USA can have pages added at their Embassy. The other point is validity, some will need a minimum of 6 months left on arrival, others only for duration of stay.

USA says you cannot add pages to your passport if you have a few (can't remember the number) blank pages left...not sure if they really enforce it or not...to add pages is now $85 usd ..used to be free until a year ago..OP mayl quickly run out of pages roaming around for several years so much better to start off with a big fat passport with lots of blank visa pages.....

• Like 1

"allow you to be in Thailand for 90 days, then you have to leave for 90 days."

This is totally untrue for Thailand, you can technically go back and forth as much as you want, there is no limit, but if you persist they may question if you are actually a tourist. A entry "visa exempt" lasts 30 days, which you get on arrival at the airport, if by land border you'll get 15 days, but again technically you can go out and in as often as you like. If you want to stay in Thailand longer than the visa exempt period its better to get a tourist visa prior to arrival.

"allow you to be in Thailand for 90 days, then you have to leave for 90 days."

This is totally untrue for Thailand, you can technically go back and forth as much as you want, there is no limit, but if you persist they may question if you are actually a tourist. A entry "visa exempt" lasts 30 days, which you get on arrival at the airport, if by land border you'll get 15 days, but again technically you can go out and in as often as you like. If you want to stay in Thailand longer than the visa exempt period its better to get a tourist visa prior to arrival.

You are correct! This was the case a few years ago but seems to have been rescinded. No reports of problems yet, but it's a possibility if you have lots of stamps in your passport.

• Like 1

I would definitely include Indonesia in your travels: you don't want to miss what Jakarta and the island of Java have to offer.

Its probably easiest and cheapest to enter via Batam from Singapore by ferry, or possibly from Malaysia by boat.

Indonesia does a VOA for 30 days, that can be extended in country for another 30 days.

• Like 1

The only real visa "burearacy" (bureaucracy?) issue is with Vietnam. I haven't been there in 2 years but afaik this hasn't changed. if it has I'm sure someone will happily correct me.

There is no VOA. When you apply for your visa you must tell them when you plan on entering. That's the day your visa starts running. You can't enter before then. And if your plans change and you don't enter until a week later, you'll only have 3 weeks on your 30 day visa. VN is the only country I know with this system. Every other country starts your 30/60/90 day visa on the day you arrive.

imo, VN sucks. spend your time elsewhere.

• Like 1

The only real visa "burearacy" (bureaucracy?) issue is with Vietnam. I haven't been there in 2 years but afaik this hasn't changed. if it has I'm sure someone will happily correct me.

There is no VOA. When you apply for your visa you must tell them when you plan on entering. That's the day your visa starts running. You can't enter before then. And if your plans change and you don't enter until a week later, you'll only have 3 weeks on your 30 day visa. VN is the only country I know with this system. Every other country starts your 30/60/90 day visa on the day you arrive.

imo, VN sucks. spend your time elsewhere.

That's a narrow view. You can complete the visa requirements online and show up on the day.

I've been there twice in the last twelve months....its a lovely country with plenty to see.....I will be returning soon!

• Like 1

Sorry I'm a Uk Citizen and passport Holder.

Been doing it since 1981 and still doing it. Back in 1982 i spent 18 months traveling by Bicycle, ( Thailand, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, Tahiti )

Than between 84-87 was in a different country every other month, ( but had a house in Thailand)

Many countries now limit the time u can spend in them ( India is 2 months) Nepal ( without a trekking permit ) is 3mnths in a year

Of course at times u can stop and find a job ( legally) work for a few years and move on, raise a family, and settle down but deep in ur heart always ready for the next trip

Passports can be extended, renewed/have pages added depends on ur country.

The only limit is $$$ but if u take the time out of traveling to work in places (Cambodia u do not need a work permit to work)

you could spend the remainder of ur life ( or till u tire of it) on the road

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Make sure you count the actual number od "DAYS" in your Visa. I had a 2 month Thai Visa. I forgot that some months have 30 or 31 days. Also the 1st day you arrive in a countery counts even @ 11:59 pm. Upon arrival in Nong Khai (en-route to Laos) the Thai Exit Immigration pointed out that I was 1 day over my Visa. I thought I had a day in hand. It is 60 days, not 2 months! Cost me 500 ThB. Vietnam is an expensive Visa.

Make sure you count the actual number od "DAYS" in your Visa. I had a 2 month Thai Visa. I forgot that some months have 30 or 31 days. Also the 1st day you arrive in a countery counts even @ 11:59 pm. Upon arrival in Nong Khai (en-route to Laos) the Thai Exit Immigration pointed out that I was 1 day over my Visa. I thought I had a day in hand. It is 60 days, not 2 months! Cost me 500 ThB. Vietnam is an expensive Visa.

Funnily enough I've just actually managed to run over my 30 tourist visa in this exact scenario.