Two Thai Men Confess To Killing Aussie Michelle Smith For '300 Baht'

webfact

"Gen Chonsit said the National Police Bureau has also asked local police to conclude investigation and evidence collection inn the murder of the Australian travel agent within 15 days so that the case can proceed in court as soon as possible in an attempt to restore confidence among foreign tourists."

Rushing an investigation is hardly the way to restore confidence. Wrapping up a murder case in 15 days to have it thrown out of court because they overlooked something in the rush. Take your time and dot all your "i's" and cross all your "T's".

P.S Foreign tourists do not forget about incidents like this in 2 weeks, it will take longer for confidence to be restored and with another 2 stabbing in the same week justing getting this lone case to court is not going to make all the others just simply vanish. Clean up a few others while your at it and that may help.

I wouldn't jump to a conclusion that bringing something to court is the same as starting a trial. Keep in mind too that the two are likely going to be pleading guilty. Regardless of a guilty plea or not, it is likely going to be some time before the case is concluded. As for people forgetting, people do have short memories and I doubt too many tourists are going to change their plans because of a single murder during a robbery. Anybody coming to Thailand for the first time should have done a bit of research to learn it is by no means a crime free nation and that tourists are at risk of scams.

I am not jumping to any conclusions at all. Having been a copper for 20+ years I am well aware of how to conduct an investigation and how the court system works. I was simply saying that the BIB should not rush the investigation simply to try and restore confidence in tourists.

As for tourists changing thier plans this is happening in Australia as we speak. My father runs a travel agency in Melbourne, Australia and he has already had 17 customers either cancel thier trips, or change thier destination to another location other than Thailand since this incident.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferangled: "Tracking people's movements is too Big Brother for my tastes". You live in Thailand how about 90 day reporting and hotels etc reporting daily on foreign guests is that not Big Brother activity.

You obviously haven't read any of my posts. That quote was Nisa's I believe thumbsup.gif

It was me -- And I agree, I don't like the government tracking people but given the current state of countries (not open borders), I do understand a government wanting to keep up on the address of foreigners .. but don't like it and certainly don't want more tracking and questioning ... especially if it is intrusions such as ID-ing folks on buses in cars (and of course pedestrians and bikes) simply because they want to visit a city such as Phukett. Given the limited access and how it would not be intrusive, I have no problem with have a video of the front and back of vehicles in hopes of picking up the license plate. As for tracking it with readers and putting it into a database, that is too much and serves no purpose but tracking innocent people's movements.

Nisa, Phuket is a province, an island and on this island there happens to be a town/ city called Phuket town...thumbsup.gif

A good example of this technology being used on a wide scale (although not appropriate purpose) would be the congestion charge in central London. It works, it's not science fiction, it doesn't have to be an intrusion of your personal rights or freedom, it could be used simply to monitor vehicles crossing the bridge, flagging up any that have pending arrest warrants.

Phuket has a single road access point, central London has hundreds. It's not rocket science and would be a far better use of tax payers money than vehicle X ray machines etc... it doesn't have to be used to track your movements, it's simple border control and effective policing.

Edit - I believe Simple1 was disagreeing with you by pointing out that far more intrusive systems already exist here...

Simple was stating that intrusive issues already exist for foreigners but I don't think he was advocating her wanted more .. which I agree with.

Just curious, do realize that all your suggestions wouldn't have helped in this case. Recording license plates will only tell you whose car was on the island and not who was driving it or who was in it ... you'd have to go back to your suggestion of checking and recording id's of people in cars and buses to know this and then still this would only help if you knew who you were looking for.

Again such over reactions to an incident of high profile crime that causes others to lose their freedoms is a western thing I am happy to do without.

Anybody find it interesting that given the international nature of this case it's off the front pages today? Thais don't really want tourists to know that you can be killed for a measily $10 whilst visiting this country. Also from what I remember the only mention of Yingluck's personal involvement came after they had located the suspects.

Wasn't it Chalerm that solved the crime anyway, being the super sleuth that he is

Not sure what my point is yet my argument does not stand up, would you like to get of your high horse and read earlier posts that you put your own contradictory knickers in a twist......or have another chang

Edited by stiggy

Anybody find it interesting that given the international nature of this case it's off the front pages today? Thais don't really want tourists to know that you can be killed for a measily $10 whilst visiting this country. Also from what I remember the only mention of Yingluck's personal involvement came after they had located the suspects.

FUNNY POST...when was the last time your countries president or a high ranked politician respond to a normal crime? ....and the crime done is absolutely normal here in Thailand...so what do you want?

FUNNY POST...when was the last time your countries president or a high ranked politician respond to a normal crime? ....and the crime done is absolutely normal here in Thailand...so what do you want?

Unfortunately the current Australian Prime Minister did when a teenager was busted for buying a small quantity of gunja in Bali last year.

• Like 2

typical thaivisa.. immediately assuming there are 'real killers' and that every arrest is some sort of conspiracy, and that the 2 arrested were tortured into confessing.. even though there hasn't been anything to suggest this is happening.. they always find these guys so fast because they have surveillance cameras everywhere and they put 100 cops on every hi-profile case, especially one that involves the killing of a foreign tourist..

And they work really fast if there is a nice fat reward coming.. don't forget that part. I mean who else is going to put up a reward but farangs?

Never heard of cops dividing up reward money for doing thier job. That would not pass where I'm from. It would go into the next pot for the next crook or go to the family at the very least. I don't care if they did solve it. IT IS THIER JOB!

Shows a lack of integrity and a lack of morality. Plain and simple.

And it shows that you know very little about the Royal Thai Police and their habits and practices.

typical thaivisa.. immediately assuming there are 'real killers' and that every arrest is some sort of conspiracy, and that the 2 arrested were tortured into confessing.. even though there hasn't been anything to suggest this is happening.. they always find these guys so fast because they have surveillance cameras everywhere and they put 100 cops on every hi-profile case, especially one that involves the killing of a foreign tourist..

Agree 100%; I also am sometimes am skeptically about Thai police but in cases like this they many times manage to solve and do a good job but many Thaivisa members need something to nag about.

Feel very sorry for the family but my compliments to the police and if they solved the case they can split the money ( saves me my 200 baht on the bike on Friday )

... "( saves me my 200 baht on the bike on Friday )" - Scorpio1949

... for any non-resident farang reading this post, what Scorpio1949 is saying is that Scorpio1949 is stopped and pays THB200 each Friday as a bribe to the Royal Thai Police for some invented traffic violation Scorpio1949 did not commit ... this is routine here for farang who live here.

... so, does that give non-resident farang an idea of just what the Royal Thai Police will do for THB 300,000? ... which is why so many of the resdienct farang who know Thailand are doubtful that justice is being done here with the arrest of the alleged murderers ... the corruption here is to the bone ... understanding that this is all about money, not justice, is difficult for foreigners to believe ... and yes, the Royal Thai Police are absolutely capable of railroading a couple of low-level criminals to save face, protect the parade of tourist wallets (upon which they all prey) and collect a nice fat piece of the reward money.

... once in the clutches of the Royal Thai Police, these two young men, guilty or not, are toast ... and they know it ... I would make no bet that they are the murderers ... maybe 50/50.

Although i have not experienced this weekly 200 bht rip off here on Koh Samui, been coming here for 7 years and living here the last five ! I have no doubt whatsoever that the rest is normal practice for RTP throughout Thailand.

Some people will argue the hind leg off a donkey. I don't care or want to defend anyone if they did it, do them in technicolour. If the guys were from a more known bad area, it would then be up to the police to make it not a so bad area. There is a serious policing problem here, and no getting away from it, while some appear to be doing a decent job, a dozen more will not care, Most are on the take, thus making it impossible to concentrate on crime prevention. All my Thai friends speak honestly about not having much respect for them.

If anyone thinks I'm bashing, all I can add is, if the money they get is not good enough--get out. I would never have a job that would not pay me for what I'm worth. example Nurses put up with lower money -they are worth more-but they are dedicated. The bib seem addicted to cash--EXTRA'S so to speak.

One here pays cash to become a cop, to get the job. Why ? Forget the low wages. whistling.gif
  • Like 1

Tourists vote with their wallets, a bit of crime here and there doesn't sway those who enjoy the climate, the scenery and the other, various enticements. I work here, but when I decide to travel its definitely to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park and any covenient city on my flight path for the farang things that cost too much here or are unavailable in my size(shoes, socks, rain jackets, sunglasses, vitamins, hot chocolate).

Give Montana a try, you will be glad you did.

It's in the U.S so I will pass.wink.png

Me too. sick.gif

Some people will argue the hind leg off a donkey. I don't care or want to defend anyone if they did it, do them in technicolour. If the guys were from a more known bad area, it would then be up to the police to make it not a so bad area. There is a serious policing problem here, and no getting away from it, while some appear to be doing a decent job, a dozen more will not care, Most are on the take, thus making it impossible to concentrate on crime prevention. All my Thai friends speak honestly about not having much respect for them.

If anyone thinks I'm bashing, all I can add is, if the money they get is not good enough--get out. I would never have a job that would not pay me for what I'm worth. example Nurses put up with lower money -they are worth more-but they are dedicated. The bib seem addicted to cash--EXTRA'S so to speak.

I wholeheartedly agree, and would just add one point which echoes your comment on how Thais percieve the police. In Europe, where I have lived in several countries over the years, and in particular in England I am struck by how most average normal people there have respect for the police and most importantly do not fear the police. When living in Thailand and talking to my Thai friends, it is clear to me that they fear the police, even when as my friend did recently, she is a law abiding office worker in Bangkok and was going to the police station to deal with divorce and changing her ID papers after divorce, she was genuinely intimidated, literally shaking, about going to the station even though she is not a criminal. That struck me because it is so different from my home nation, where the people afraid of the police are usually criminals, and normal people like myself are usually happy to to see the police and talk to them.

Obviously there are some very honest and courageous good policemen and women working in Thailand both on patrol and in offices. But there is also a strong undercurrent of corruption and it generates actual fear among normal law-abiding people I have met. I think to deny this reality, or to deny the effect this has in ongoing cases such as the horrendous violent crime in this thread's news story, is actually only to worsen the situation.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla

I wholeheartedly agree, and would just add one point which echoes your comment on how Thais percieve the police. In Europe, where I have lived in several countries over the years, and in particular in England I am struck by how most average normal people there have respect for the police and most importantly do not fear the police. When living in Thailand and talking to my Thai friends, it is clear to me that they fear the police, even when as my friend did recently, she is a law abiding office worker in Bangkok and was going to the police station to deal with divorce and changing her ID papers after divorce, she was genuinely intimidated, literally shaking, about going to the station even though she is not a criminal. That struck me because it is so different from my home nation, where the people afraid of the police are usually criminals, and normal people like myself are usually happy to to see the police and talk to them.

Obviously there are some very honest and courageous good policemen and women working in Thailand both on patrol and in offices. But there is also a strong undercurrent of corruption and it generates actual fear among normal law-abiding people I have met. I think to deny this reality, or to deny the effect this has in ongoing cases such as the horrendous violent crime in this thread's news story, is actually only to worsen the situation.

ermm.gif

Absolutely correct. From talking with my extended Thai family, who all work, except the elderly (who do fear the police), they have have no respect for the Royal Thai Police, some actively dislike them. e.g. Smile, without laughing, when police pay day is due, so short of money & commenting on them going about their tea money collection activities. From my personal experience their are are exceptions in the police, but very few.

EDIT: What behaviour can you expect when police usually have to pay for their promotions.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Phuket Aussie stab suspects denied bail, behind bars

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-16282TiTvAcigeConvBGAfARLbhUSbo.jpg

Australian tourists staying at the Katathani Beach Resort presented bouquets of flowers to Royal Thai Police Commissioner Prewpan Dhamapong to thank police for their quickly arresting the suspects. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

phuket-4-16282wYfPgVxCOvQlOIHooxGvLPRtAQ.jpg

Many tourists on Patong’s Soi Bangla thanked Commissioner Prewpan Dhamapong for quickly arresting the two suspects, and asked for more police to patrol the streets of Phuket to boost tourists’ confidence in their safety. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: The two men arrested for the fatal stabbing of Australian tourist Michelle Smith were denied police bail yesterday and are now being held at the Phuket Provincial Court holding cells awaiting the formal pressing of charges.

Chalong Police officers presented suspects Surasak Suwannachote and Surin Tadthong to Phuket Provincial Court at 11:30 am yesterday.

Surasak has confessed to stabbing Mrs Smith, resulting in her death on June 20, and Surin Tadthong has confessed to operating the motorbike used in the bungled bag-snatch that fateful night.

The court granted the police request to incarcerate the suspects in the court’s holding cells for at least 48 hours while police continue to gather evidence.

“This is a sensitive case. I want to be fair to everyone. However, we are not going to allow police bail for the two men.

“We will collect all evidence and complete our investigation as quickly as possible. Hopefully, we can complete everything within 15 days, then we can submit everything to the court and prosecute them,” Phuket Provincial Police Commander Chonasit Wattanavrangkul said.

“The sooner we can close this case, the better it would be for Phuket's tourism image,” he added.

The news yesterday follows Australian tourists staying at the Katathani Beach Resort presenting bouquets of flowers to Royal Thai Police Commissioner Prewpan Dhamapong to thank police for quickly arresting the suspects.

Commissioner Prewpan received similar thanks from other Australian tourists while he walked the length of Soi Bangla in Patong on Monday night.

Many tourists told him they felt more secure seeing police patrol the streets, especially Soi Bangla, and would like them to do so more often.

During his foot patrol, Pol Gen Prewpan voiced his support for greater use of CCTV in protecting tourists.

“I agree with the idea of adding more CCTV cameras in dangerous and high-risk zones, and not only government organizations installing CCTV around their premises, but also private organizations.

“Setting CCTV cameras in different significant areas is important because when the bad or unexpected happens, the cameras will help police in tracking down the criminals,” he said.

Commissioner Prewpan added that he had ordered authorities in tourist areas to step up measures to better prevent attacks by criminals.

“And not just in Phuket, but in Pattaya and on Koh Samui, too,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16282.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-28

The news yesterday follows Australian tourists staying at the Katathani Beach Resort presenting bouquets of flowers to Royal Thai Police Commissioner Prewpan Dhamapong to thank police for quickly arresting the suspects.

is it just cynical me that thinks this is a very strange behaviour for Aussie tourists to do ? or was this some sort of publicity stunt set up to kowtow down to the pooyai from the RTP by some local official

If the RTP had offered flowers, one could understand this, but giving flowers to the pooyai for doing their job...?....looks more like a Thai on Thai brown nosing session to me

"The sooner we can close this case, the better it would be for Phuket's tourism image,”

Also note no words of sympathy for the victim or her family....just oh no this may stop us getting tourist dollars...we had better fix it..

Edited by Soutpeel

is it just cynical me that thinks this is a very strange behaviour for Aussie tourists to do ? or was this some sort of publicity stunt set up to kowtow down to the pooyai from the RTP by some local official

If the RTP had offered flowers, one could understand this, but giving flowers to the pooyai for doing their job...?....looks more like a Thai on Thai brown nosing session to me

"The sooner we can close this case, the better it would be for Phuket's tourism image,”

Also note no words of sympathy for the victim or her family....just oh no this may stop us getting tourist dollars...we had better fix it..

Remember, tourists do not know/understand how stuff works here. sad.png

Exactly...this is my point, are these tourists being used to facilitate a cheap publicity stunt to try an show all is well in LaLa land ?

• Like 1

Exactly...this is my point, are these tourists being used to facilitate a cheap publicity stunt to try an show all is well in LaLa land ?

Highly probably organized publicity stunt. If Aussies were going to thank the RTP, it would be in private, not with media around. Wounder who informed them?

• Like 1

Highly probably organized publicity stunt. If Aussies were going to thank the RTP, it would be in private, not with media around. Wounder who informed them?

I would bet that a photo shoot was organized by the BiB, that bought their own flowers and asked a few farang to participate. Sorry if l sound off but I........................... sad.png
  • Like 1

Agree with the media there it sounds like a stunt by TAT, just like my wifes sister being given 200 baht to go along to the re enactment of the crime at a specific time.

Be you that they will get a seat sentence without being represented by a lawyer because they can't afford one.

How little you know about the Thai judicial system. Everyone has a lawyer made available to them either a decent paid one or a free one regardless of nationality. By confessing they have basically accepted the guilty charge so that gets their sentence cut in half. They could get a sentence as low as 15 years which if they are clever and make their way up the prison grading system earn higher annual reduction in the Kings birthday. They could be out in less than 6 years.

That said IMO they should be given and serve a full 25 years.

I am very well versed with the way the courts work here.....

If that is true - 'could be out in less than 6 years' - then that would swing my mind towards a much more violent punishment....

True, anyone want to keep on their tails? Maybe bribe a prison officer to let you know when they'll be out...

One reason I love Thailand is the lack of police and government interference in every day life. My obviously facetious comment and view remain unchanged. Tracking people's movements is too Big Brother for my tastes. Lots of places to go if you like living in a police state. Personally I will continue to enjoy Thailand as long as the government and politicians don't respond to high profile crimes by infringing on the right of all people as is becoming a norm in the west.

How do you go with the 90 day reporting, visa runs, work permits and all the other information collecting bureaucracy that non-immigrant foreigners such as yourself are subjected to?

I want to be fair to everyone. However, we are not going to allow police bail for the two men.

Why do they allow Thai Policemen accused of murdering foreign tourists bail then?

Somchai Wisetsingh (who was protected by colleagues in the Thai Police and assisted to escape the country) and Uthai Dechachiwat just two examples.

Could it be the case that just Phuket has developed a serious crime problem, probably down to a few hoodlums?

I struggle to see the likes of sleepy Roi-Et or my little village being anything like this.

Phuket, Thailand: Crime Capital of Asia

If you are headed to Thailand for holidays you will have a great time, with one exception, avoid Phuket at all costs. For fun, investment or business Phuket is far too dangerous for tourists.

Phuket is now the one of the worlds most dangerous destinations for foreign and local tourists and businessmen. Armed gangs, some Tuk-Tuk drivers, some Jet Ski operators, tour operators etc are mostly controlled by criminal elements and Phuket is no longer safe to visit for foreigners or Thais.

http://www.livetradingnews.com/phuket-thailand-crime-capital-of-asia-77733.htm#.T-4dNZJqQrc

The real issue in Thailand is defineing the fuction of the police force, there is no concept or understanding of the term we are all familiar "To Serve and Protect", Thai police simply wouldn't understand what this means, they see themselves closer to supermarket checkout operators "Stop and Fine" generate money for simple petty law enforcement.

This is partly due too - lack of training - culture - and poor salaries, in the west we generally class police officers as professionals - here they are generally traffic wardens with guns (scary)

There is no proactive police work - it is all reactive, they have never heard of the concept "Crime Prevention" because that would have a negative effect on earning potencial - no crime - no money so to an extent they encourage law breaking to generate money - how f'cked up is that

Will it ever change - I can't see it, respect for the law has to start at the top led by example - when the sitting government have no respect for the law and court system - the people will do the same

Throw tourists into the arena and it's not pretty

• Like 2

Be you that they will get a seat sentence without being represented by a lawyer because they can't afford one.

How little you know about the Thai judicial system. Everyone has a lawyer made available to them either a decent paid one or a free one regardless of nationality. By confessing they have basically accepted the guilty charge so that gets their sentence cut in half. They could get a sentence as low as 15 years which if they are clever and make their way up the prison grading system earn higher annual reduction in the Kings birthday. They could be out in less than 6 years.

That said IMO they should be given and serve a full 25 years.

I am very well versed with the way the courts work here.....

Depending on their record, it may be commuted to eternal life, instead of death. Killing tourists is bad for business.