Day Trip To Rayong

hotandhumid

I think Rayong town is a large boring dump, apart from the old area down by the fishing port which is rather interesting to drive around (and easy to get lost in). Nothing much to actually do there though.

The beaches generally are not very nice for sitting on and every time I've been the water has been much too rough for swimming (and none too clean either). Maybe I was just unlucky.

Lots of brand new seafood sala type places down Hat Maerampung Beach (the far side of Rayong). Deserted during the week and heaving with Thais at the weekend, but where isn't?

Edited by Darrel

I think Rayong town is a large boring dump, apart from the old area down by the fishing port which is rather interesting to drive around (and easy to get lost in). Nothing much to actually do there though.

The beaches generally are not very nice for sitting on and every time I've been the water has been much too rough for swimming (and none too clean either). Maybe I was just unlucky.

Lots of brand new seafood sala type places down Hat Maerampung Beach (the far side of Rayong). Deserted during the week and heaving with Thais at the weekend, but where isn't?

Cheers for the feedback. The majority of Thailand is a dump in my opinion so I'm not suprised at all. This will probably be my first first and last trip there so I'm gonna go and have a look anwyay. Will prob head for that beach you suggest then with the seafood joints.

No it wasnt just you being unlucky,had a week there,a month ago,along the beach strip,same same,not many people there,way overpriced Seafood,and tons of rubbish on the Beaches,nice and cool though.plenty of Restaurants to choose from,value for money? it's not!

Cheap Hotel prices this time of year,is one good point in favour.

Edited by MAJIC

Cheers for the feedback. The majority of Thailand is a dump in my opinion so I'm not suprised at all. This will probably be my first first and last trip there so I'm gonna go and have a look anwyay. Will prob head for that beach you suggest then with the seafood joints.

Correct, the majority of Thailand is a dump, they have no respect for keeping their own country clean of litter, just throw is wherever they feel like, any open land is considered a garbage dump, sad really but that's what a lack of education will lead too.

Same with their driving, i went by a wreck today where a child left through the windscreen coz no seatbelt was used, also sad and also due to lack of education. They think it's "cute" to have their sprogs climbing about everywhere but that's just being silly

Have you been to Koh Samet before as it's a lot more interesting than Hat Maerampung Beach. You don't have to pay the fee of 200 baht for a foreigner at koh Samet if you're carrying beachware, Just walk straight past the ticket office. Driving from Pattaya pass the Hat Maerampung Beach turnoff and about 5/10 kilometers later right to Ban Phe and then get the ferry (100 baht return). You can park your car at the ferry terminal. It's about a 60 minute drive and can easily do a day trip.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

If Thailand is such a "Dump" why the "eck" are you here ?????

• Like 1

Correct, the majority of Thailand is a dump, they have no respect for keeping their own country clean of litter, just throw is wherever they feel like, any open land is considered a garbage dump, sad really but that's what a lack of education will lead too.

Same with their driving, i went by a wreck today where a child left through the windscreen coz no seatbelt was used, also sad and also due to lack of education. They think it's "cute" to have their sprogs climbing about everywhere but that's just being silly

Sad to say there is no legal requirement in Thailand for child restraint seats, nor rear passenger seat belts.

Erh, for the whores?

Erh, for the whores?

That's about the most honest statement i have seen on this website yet - good for you mate!

• Like 1

They also drive their motorbikes like Ewoks, with reckless, joyous abandon...as if those motorbikes just fell from the sky yesterday and they're using them for the first time. Apparently Ewok-style driving + Thai "whiskey" + belief in reincarnation = driving conditions similar to Road Warrior on level 5

one of the few redeeming factors in Rayong is Number 43 Italian bistro in the Kantary Bay complex at the beach

the food is simply delightful and better than anything available in Pattaya

True, especially the buffet lunch they do.

Ohh. Am I about to find out something that will change my opinion of Rayong?

Please elaborate.

one of the few redeeming factors in Rayong is Number 43 Italian bistro in the Kantary Bay complex at the beach

True, especially the buffet lunch they do.

Ohh. Am I about to find out something that will change my opinion of Rayong?

Please elaborate.

They have a buffet lunch of Thai and international foods for 300 Baht per person on Tuesday and Saturday.

Not worth a specific trip all the way out to Rayong for though unless you're already in the area.

Bimey... the victrolic!!!!!

Not really sure how to reply. to such scathing replies about Rayong and Thailand.

Personally, and maybe call me an 'anorak' I have always enjoyed Hat Mae Rumpung Beach. I have spent many a pleasant hour under the pine trees after a good seafood meal. Easy to get there and back and lots of reasonable accommodation. No sleaze. Sorry that not many of you do not enjoy it.

Never mind Pattaya is just an hour away if that is your preference Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nothing at all like the Rayong I just spent the last 3 days in.

Beautiful beaches, crystal water, exceptionally clean beaches, fantastic food and cheap hotels. Amazing Thailand !

Cant wait to go back and going to make it a regular trip in my monthly escapes from the boonies.

Edited by CharlieH

uk is also a dump and was even more of a dump many years ago thats why they had the keep britain tidy champaign, cant comment on the rest of the developed world, i can also remember as a kid being unrestrained in the car with my "un-educated" parents thailand is what it is live with it or come back in 20 years time when they have caught up with the west

Incredible thing to say.

The grub there is average at best.

so you went then?

Incredible thing to say.

so you went there then?

obviously not.......

Incredible thing to say.

so you went then?

Of course I went, hence ,my review.