Six Tourists Among 10 Dead In Surat Thani VIP Bus Accident

webfact

So how do you explain the violent shaking 1.5 hours leading up to the accident???? did you drive through that like the bus driver,

Read what the witnesses said before making silly posts.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in a country where life is cheap, where concern and respect for others is secondary to money. Does anyone actually believe that any tour operators here in Amazing Thailand actually adopt proactive vehicle maintenanace or driver training and education. How many tour, transport companies do random drug testing on their drivers, how many impose speed limitations on their drivers or allow factory set governing of vehicles to remain in operation. I would hazard a guess and say none.

This is a terrible waste of life and condolences to families and friends of the loved ones lost but unfortunately its not going to change anything.

I would dearly love to see the wreckage inspected properly and if accident due to poor maintenance/ bad tyres the owners and operators charged with manslaughter.. might send a message through the industry.. but alas Im dreaming

RIP to the lost, this shouldn't have happened

• Like 1

A couple of comments

1. Travelling from Swampy to Mor Chit after a 9 hour flight from Melbourne the taxi driver talked me into letting him drive me 360km to Phetchabun. Long before Sara Buri he was into the servo for some pcik-me-up which didn't work. I asked him if he wanted me to drive to which he answered yes. So, I drove the rest of the distance - about 300km - after a long flight. I was probably in no better condition than he but at least I was in control.

2. Unlike Gohmer, some of us are not lucky enough to have air travel available so are forced to take the bus. We have a beautiful 1st class airport but no schedule flights. After 18 years bus travel I have never had a concern. We do chose the dearer of the 2 alternatives. Having said that I have seen the results of about 4 serious bus crashes over this period.

It's a tragedy and the authorities would be less than resposible if they didn't investigate the cause to the fullest and take remedial steps. RIP

It's sickening to read about someone possibly asking the driver to slow down.

A few years ago TW and more than half the passengers on a 407 bus, Mochit to Buang Khan, pleaded with the driver to slow down on the treacherous road between Saraburi and Korat, the effin maniac would not so most of the passengers got off at the bus station at Korat and refused to re board, apparently there was a big argument between some of the male passengers, bus station manager and bus crew, the bus departed with only one or two pax.

Just shows there is power in numbers and although they lost a few hours the bus station manager arranged for another bus and crew so as they could continue their journey.

• Like 1

It's sickening to read about someone possibly asking the driver to slow down.

A few years ago TW and more than half the passengers on a 407 bus, Mochit to Buang Khan, pleaded with the driver to slow down on the treacherous road between Saraburi and Korat, the effin maniac would not so most of the passengers got off at the bus station at Korat and refused to re board, apparently there was a big argument between some of the male passengers, bus station manager and bus crew, the bus departed with only one or two pax.

Just shows there is power in numbers and although they lost a few hours the bus station manager arranged for another bus and crew so as they could continue their journey.

what appears so odd is, that the bus manager had apparently zero influence on the driver, and he was even permitted to continue...

Sadly I have now started to advise friends not to holiday in LOS. I have been here for 8 years and it is going downhill fast. I now refuse to use buses and only fly. I don't think things will ever change here and after ASEAN ... look out Thailand.

• Like 1

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that a thorough investigation is carried out.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that vehicle maintenance in Thailand is vastly improved.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that public service vehicle drivers are highly trained.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that the Thai authorities crack down on anti-social driving.

If we don't do that, then there will be far more dead, far more people maimed, far more widows and orphans.

So for all those people on the other thread that said let's not turn this into Thai bashing........if this happened in our own countries our press, our people, and our authorities would be all over it in minute detail.

It's not Thai bashing, it's unacceptable practice bashing, and even if this accident was a simple unforseeable tyre burst, it's better for everybody that the Thai authorities investigate it and learn the lessons from it the same way our authorities would.

RIP to the victims, the best tribute would be to work hard to prevent it from happening again, not by becoming Thai apologists.

That helps no one........least of all Thailand.

I couldn't agree more . . . but the only people that can put pressure on the relevant Thai authorities involved are the Embassies and Chambers here, and they never seem to get off their ass and do much about anything from what I've seen.

Sadly I have now started to advise friends not to holiday in LOS. I have been here for 8 years and it is going downhill fast. I now refuse to use buses and only fly. I don't think things will ever change here and after ASEAN ... look out Thailand.

I wouldn't advise my friends to avoid Thailand as it is a wonderful place to live or have a holiday.

One thing I do tell them is to read up on the culture before they come and to be careful when they get here.

None of them have regretted their visits.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

maybe things are better in taiwan, singapore, korea - malaysia?... but from the "typical" competeting beach-holiday destinations in asia, as india and indonesia, busses and transportation in general are ways better in thailand...

Edited by dingdang

The most possible cause for a tyre to burst, is that the tyre is overinflated. When you look at gas stations,there - in most cases - is an air hose without a meter. The connected compressor delivers about 80psi. I see it every day, that Thai drivers and riders just wait until there is no air flux any more when they pump up their tyres, thus driving off with around 80psi pressure inside the tube or tyre, instead of 30psi, as it is recommended for i.e. a Honda Wave, or around 32 to 35 psi for a regular car tyre. And those folks are not aware of the danger involved. I always carry a pressure gauge with me and until today all my offers to others to adjust the tyre pressure using my gauge had been rejected.

I would strongly recommend that the police checks the pressure of the remaining intact tyres of the bus There might be the solution, why this accident happened in the first place.

Some gas stations have a machine where you punch in the psi and it automatically stops when it is reached. Great devices and free. In addition to over inflation being dangerous; underinflation can seriously lessen your mileage; wasting fuel. Having the right psi is important.

The most possible cause for a tyre to burst, is that the tyre is overinflated. When you look at gas stations,there - in most cases - is an air hose without a meter. The connected compressor delivers about 80psi. I see it every day, that Thai drivers and riders just wait until there is no air flux any more when they pump up their tyres, thus driving off with around 80psi pressure inside the tube or tyre, instead of 30psi, as it is recommended for i.e. a Honda Wave, or around 32 to 35 psi for a regular car tyre. And those folks are not aware of the danger involved. I always carry a pressure gauge with me and until today all my offers to others to adjust the tyre pressure using my gauge had been rejected.

I would strongly recommend that the police checks the pressure of the remaining intact tyres of the bus There might be the solution, why this accident happened in the first place.

Some gas stations have a machine where you punch in the psi and it automatically stops when it is reached. Great devices and free. In addition to over inflation being dangerous; underinflation can seriously lessen your mileage; wasting fuel. Having the right psi is important.

That is outstanding....but....I guess it is only as good as the gimp punching in the numbers right ??

That is outstanding....but....I guess it is only as good as the gimp punching in the numbers right ??

Right, if you don't know the correct psi then its not going to do you any good. On my little motorbike I always do 32 for the back and 31 on the front. Rides just finesmile.png

the amount of times i've known that drivers have been on meth in a vehicle i've been carried in doesn't bear thinking about.

It's VERY common place for long distance drivers to be on meth. And not just in Thailand, but all around the world. However, in Thailand, it's not just some of them. It's most of them. No urine checks on these drivers, ever.

Drivers here are often given long routes with little wiggle room to make their time. They have no choice but to put the pedal to the metal and drive as quickly as they can do get to the destination. Many of them will even take (given to them) another all day/night shift after finishing one, thus the meth comes in handy for these guys. Some of them don't have a choice.

The owners of the companies are equally at fault as the drivers themselves.

Could not agree more.

...in downtown Hat Yai there is not one gas station with a pressure gauge, the last one at ptt broke 8 months ago. Actually the point is not the gauge, as you always shoud have one in your pocket, it is the negligence of the Thai people towards safety issues. On the other hand: How can someone be negligent, when he/she does not know anything, is not willing to take an advice, or to learn? It is the all around "Mai pen rai" - attitude, which makes Thailand a dangerous country.

And I bet my butt, that the police, investigating this horrible accident, will not check the tyre pressure of the still intact tyres.

• Like 1

Not sure about anybody else....but I think in this day and age.....people should be able to take some control and responsibility for themselves......there are reports of enough people on board, both foreign and Thai, that is was speeding and driving dangerously.....apparently people asked the driver to slow down...they were told to <deleted> basically..or get off.....Why did they not ask to get off and when the bus stopped....take the keys or prevent him from continuing in whatever way.

If he would not stop....a fire in the back seat....not really, but report it to him perhaps or any such out of the box thinking to make him stop....and they would all be alive now.

I have done this with a taxi driver a few times now before I had a car myself...also a minivan driver and another time I offered to drive because he was falling asleep....got out of a few taxis also for same reasons.

I know it is easy to say....but the people on board should take action to secure their own lives.

Look at the Chinese passengers that recently over powered and beat to death some hijackers.....all those passengers are alive now.

Roberta Norton - a British survivor - has now confirmed that her partner/boyfriend - demanded the driver slow down. Cannot provide a link I understand but you can google it or google her name with drummond.

Roberta Norton - a British survivor - has now confirmed that her partner/boyfriend - demanded the driver slow down. Cannot provide a link I understand but you can google it or google her name with drummond.

horrible that. i've had to do that on an overnight bus from chiang mai to udon thani before and the driver did eventually slow down a bit after about six of us kept bothering him and the bus staff about it. i won't take overnight buses in thailand any more and advise everyone who comes here to either spend more and fly places or if you can take a train, take the train. buses are just too much of a lottery.

Theres little else to be said about this tragedy. It will be repeated, the causes will never be properly investigated and no meanigful action taken on tourist safety in thailand.

I will certainly not be using thai buses, for the simple reason that my family and i no longer take holidays here, despite living in the country.

There are far better, safer, more welcoming, better value destinations outside thailand. Besides its allure of cheap sex i cant imagine why anyone comes here

• Like 1

[...]

There are far better, safer, more welcoming, better value destinations outside thailand. Besides its allure of cheap sex i cant imagine why anyone comes here

...charity work, may be?

horrible that. i've had to do that on an overnight bus from chiang mai to udon thani before and the driver did eventually slow down a bit after about six of us kept bothering him and the bus staff about it. i won't take overnight buses in thailand any more and advise everyone who comes here to either spend more and fly places or if you can take a train, take the train. buses are just too much of a lottery.

i am sorry but you are simply wrong in your advice to others. Not all bus companies are the same.

I have travelled many many times with one bus company that has an unblemished record

On all the occasions i have been on NCA i have never seen their drivers speeding.

"

Every bus is equipped with a Black Box which communicates directly to our control centre in Bangkok via GPS. The control centre is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to monitor the bus' speed and position in real time, and are prepared to handle any emergency situations immediately. "

All our drivers have long-term experience and are highly skilled. They also undergo various training programs to continually develop their skills. Drivers are required to wear a uniform and dress smartly as well as conduct themselves in a polite manner. All drivers complete NCA's "Driving without Accidents" program and have been commended by many institutes

Before each journey every drivers must take an alcohol breath test and have their blood pressure checked, to ensure the safety of our passengers.

http://www.nca.co.th/qulity_en.php

Edited by khaan

This latest crash takes the focus away from the Australian murdered...

Which took the focus from the 2 girls who died on Phi Phi...

Which took away the focus...on some other tragic that I can't even remember...

Just like the last tragedy, this one will soon fade as another takes it's place as "Tragedy de Jour".

This place will never change. It's not held to the same standards and laws as "the West". No one is accountable.

Demanding and voting with your feet changes nothing...

At least someone who see things as they are and will be.

i am sorry but you are simply wrong in your advice to others. Not all bus companies are the same.

I have travelled many many times with one bus company that has an unblemished record

On all the occasions i have been on NCA i have never seen their drivers speeding.

"

Every bus is equipped with a Black Box which communicates directly to our control centre in Bangkok via GPS. The control centre is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to monitor the bus' speed and position in real time, and are prepared to handle any emergency situations immediately. "

All our drivers have long-term experience and are highly skilled. They also undergo various training programs to continually develop their skills. Drivers are required to wear a uniform and dress smartly as well as conduct themselves in a polite manner. All drivers complete NCA's "Driving without Accidents" program and have been commended by many institutes

Before each journey every drivers must take an alcohol breath test and have their blood pressure checked, to ensure the safety of our passengers.

http://www.nca.co.th/qulity_en.php

Good link but no matter how careful this company is they can not account for another bus ploughing into them head first such as last year killing the 3 English boys, that said though this could happen to anyone on the road whether in a car or bus and is not restricted to buses.

I wonder anyone know how many accident this company has had, let say last 5 years?

Every day they have ~400 bus leaving from BKK and same 400 coming back. That is 24 000 bus in one month only this company and how many accidents they have?

I say safe enough for me to take bus from this company next time I need to go somewhere.

Many people say it is not safe to take bus in Thailand, do you have any statistic how many accidents there has been? Like to see those. Accidents happen but how many really in one year and is that number so big when you compare routes and buses everyday?

I mean is Thailand so much different from other countries if you check like that?

Edited by hullupullo

From the photo, the bus looks like it ran into a solid wall with those incredible damages. Yet it just ran into an electric pole. Just unbelievable that they put such solid constructions (made of concrete) next to the roads. They should of course have poles like in other countries that fall over easy, thus saving the lives of the people in the cars that eventually collide into such items.

Lives and concrete are cheap I guess...

WB

It first hit a tree, then spun, flipped and hit a power pole which cut the bus into 2 pieces.

That's not what the pictures show.

A front end bashed to hell and buckled frame pushed backl by the impact.

Looks like head on with something very solid, and then maybe a spin.

No "...cut in 2 pieces." is at all apparent.

Just what I read in the Thai newspaper.

Yes. I just read the article in the Thai Daily Newspaper and they have a witness that reported that several foriegners approached the driver and insist that he slow down but the driver refused to listen to them. Massive D'head.

They are also reporting financial compensation of 700000 baht to the families of each of the deceased. For what it is worth.

700k baht. That is pitiful. Those not deceased also deserve way more as they may likely be unable to work, have on going medical needs, rehabilitation and be unable to enjoy life for a while depending on nature of injuries. I guess this is what to expect when injured in a third world dump, but one could be hopeful Thailand is some what better.

From what I remember the report stated that the injured were given an immediate initial payment of 10,000 baht.

I wonder anyone know how many accident this company has had, let say last 5 years?

Every day they have ~400 bus leaving from BKK and same 400 coming back. That is 24 000 bus in one month only this company and how many accidents they have?

I say safe enough for me to take bus from this company next time I need to go somewhere.

Many people say it is not safe to take bus in Thailand, do you have any statistic how many accidents there has been? Like to see those. Accidents happen but how many really in one year and is that number so big when you compare routes and buses everyday?

I mean is Thailand so much different from other countries if you check like that?

One is too many when it it caused by excess speed, at a slower speed the alleged blow out may have not caused such a bad accident, this guy was asked to slow down, he ignored and now 11 people are dead.

I do understand your post, statistically there are not that many accidents compared to the number of journeys, but how many of those buses arrive at the end of a reckless journey where it has arrived more by luck than by any driver skill, I feel that would be quite a high number.

The standard of driving in Thailand is poor, this is not because of stupidity (get my disclaimer in now in case people think I am saying accidents are caused by the stupidity of Thai people, this is not what i am saying) on the whole, it is because there is a system in place that grants licences that is wholly inadequate, I am sure other countries have accidents, I am sure they are caused by recklessness the same as happens here a lot of the time, but you will find in those countries where the standards of driving and the law are taken seriously you will find the numbers of accidents and deaths much lower than in Thailand.

Comparing Thailand to other countries does not do thailand any favours, it is as though you are trying to say there are crashes elsewhere so its ok for crashes here, is Thailand that different to other countries? you know what, I don't care if it is similar to other countries as I live in Thailand and my concern is what happens on the road here, countless time while driving here I have nearly been put off the road by poor driving, this is what concerns me, not how people drive in India or cambodia.