Espresso Machines In Thailand, Why Is It So Expensive?

balo

You need to service the machine every three to six months

No way. 3-6 months. Descale and deep clean is all that is necessary with a quality machine. Perhaps serviced every 1 year or 2. The modern machines from the likes of Gaggia or Jura do not require that service interval.

Edited by negreanu

has anyone had dealings with Hillkoff Chiangmai ? very happyItook ti tback and they with their service and repair department.my Breville coffee bean grinder kept jamming. even after cleaning, took it to Hillkoff they looked at it reset it and gave it back to me. only when i tried it again it jammed.so i took it back and had to leave it, 2 days past now no machine, they say it is fixed but are waiting for some Manager to check it.

No way. 3-6 months. Descale and deep clean is all that is necessary with a quality machine. Perhaps serviced every 1 year or 2. The modern machines from the likes of Gaggia or Jura do not require that service interval.

Up to you, chap. An espresso machine and a grinder are big investments and deserve proper care.

Perhaps you don't make coffee often. Our restaurant machines need to be serviced much more frequently than you suggest. Failure to do it results in poor quality drinks and extra wear and tear. Proper servicing can also avoid down time by dealing with an issue in time.

• Like 2

getting good follow up service i find is almost nil,i love coffee and brew up every day but what put me off buying an expensive machine was if something goes wrong,in 3yrs we have had to replace many electrical items all bought brand new,cooker hood motor went,deep fat frier,kettle,elect.fan,our coffee maker[drip style 2,500bht] luck was on our side it was still under warrenty,this week the lawn mower has packed in.

getting good follow up service i find is almost nil,i love coffee and brew up every day but what put me off buying an expensive machine was if something goes wrong,in 3yrs we have had to replace many electrical items all bought brand new,cooker hood motor went,deep fat frier,kettle,elect.fan,our coffee maker[drip style 2,500bht] luck was on our side it was still under warrenty,this week the lawn mower has packed in.

Our espresso machine and grinder are from Boncafe and they give a good service. Frequent servicing has meant that we have only needed to replace a seal and a water pipe connection. Failure to service the machines frequently would probably result in more serious problems. If you buy from a department store, for example, then I would expect no service at all from them.

In 1933, Alfonso Bialetti revolutionized home coffee brewing in Italy with this iconic, easy-to-use stove-top espresso maker. This is the classic aluminum original still found in nearly 90% of Italian homes. Easily make up to 9 2-oz. cups of rich espresso in just a few minutes.

Made in Italy. About $40 in US. Do any of the barristas use something like in LOS?

img41b.jpg

Edited by JLCrab

In 1933, Alfonso Bialetti revolutionized home coffee brewing in Italy with this iconic, easy-to-use stove-top espresso maker. This is the classic aluminum original still found in nearly 90% of Italian homes. Easily make up to 9 2-oz. cups of rich espresso in just a few minutes.

Made in Italy. About $40 in US. Do any of the barristas use something like in LOS?

img41b.jpg

We have one but don't use it.

The quote above from a website only said that nearly 90% of Italians have the Bialatti in their homes -- doesn't say that they use them either. But when in USA this summer I'm going to buy a 300 ml Bialetti 6 version for around $US 25.

When in Thailand, do as the Romans ...

I found them to be expensive as well guess its all to do with custom tax import cost and

markup just bring one in on next trip if you want one.

Excactly , you can bring with you 3 machines for the price of one in Thailand.

I have no problems with Boncafe giving excellent service on their machines , if you can afford buying them .

My Philips Saeco , is fully automatic , with a built in grinder.

If something goes wrong , you have to try and fix it yourself , its very easy to clean all the parts of it , but the grinder you need to order spare parts from Europe as a lot of us can do.

But I paid 11000 THB for the machine , its almost one year old now and still going strong, and I make 5 cups a day . I expect it to last for at least 2-3 years.

Edited by balo

So why is it three times more expensive to buy in Thailand?

This is not the only example , most European espresso machines are at least double the price in Thailand.

Something is very wrong here , I know about the import taxes but this is just ridicilous.

I just discovered this while shopping around for an HD projector. The high-end Epsons that are available in the states for around $1500-$2000 (45-60,000 baht) are going for well over 100 thousand baht here. That's absolutely insane.

And what is worse, none of the vendors here seem to be interested in competing against each other. I went to three different shops between Pantip and Zeer and got the exact same printed brochure showing the exact same MSRP's at all three shops. In the US you would have numerous retailers all offering rock-bottom prices (thanks in part to the heavy competition from e-stores) and throwing in incentives to get the sale. No so here.

Anyway I refuse to pay that much of a mark-up. I'll have one carried-in from the states and risk paying the duty at customs (yeah, right).

I would assume that these expresso machines and projectors and whatever else that are sold by different vendors with roughly the same ridiculous price probablty have but only 1 distributor and these sole distributors are the ones causing the expensive solutions to your needs. With these kinds of things if you cannot prove you bought the machine from their specific vendors then they either refuse to service it or charge you your first born child to fix it.

The owners of these sole distributors have seen there is a new "S" class or a new "E" class MB coming out next year and just have to have it hence you pay for it. Besides a lot of these sole distributors also take the attitude of "If you can pay for it, You will PAY for it" attitude.

Where I can find a complete price list of Bon coffee mashines not see on website?

There are many different models from the Philips mashine,many mashines from Jura I have in the past stop working within 2 year! Inside the eu

We have garranty 2 year and I got a free replacement!

Here in Thailand guarantee is much less, so Iam not sure what usually a repair at bon coffee coasts?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Where I can find a complete price list of Bon coffee mashines not see on website?

There are many different models from the Philips mashine,many mashines from Jura I have in the past stop working within 2 year! Inside the eu

We have garranty 2 year and I got a free replacement!

Here in Thailand guarantee is much less, so Iam not sure what usually a repair at bon coffee coasts?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

You need to visit their shop to get prices. From memory, the smaller espresso machine start at around THB30,000.

Servicing and repair costs are reasonable and cheaper if you take the machine to the shop rather than have them call on you.

Boncafe coffee beans are good too. For the best espresso, use 100% Arabica.

• 10 months later...

Easy fly airasia to HongKong for the day buy the machine you want fly back with it in a suitcase. Job done you just saved 30000THB on a gaggia espresso machine even including the plane ticket...

Good idea, but it is too complex to find stuff in Hong Kong. Do you know a good place to buy automatic espresso machines in Hong Kong?

Main island or kowloon doesn't matter.

• 4 weeks later...

Up to you, chap. An espresso machine and a grinder are big investments and deserve proper care.

Perhaps you don't make coffee often. Our restaurant machines need to be serviced much more frequently than you suggest. Failure to do it results in poor quality drinks and extra wear and tear. Proper servicing can also avoid down time by dealing with an issue in time.

That´s the point : Maintenance !

For this topic I have opened a seperate thread :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/698798-how-do-you-maintain-your-coffee-machine-fully-automatic/

• 5 years later...

I just read the whole thread and I think is important to note I am Italian. True, every home in Italy has a moka but having said that espresso is a whole different thing. 

Honestly, I can't believe people love so much to be rip off by local seller which 90% of the time sell junk stuff machines including Italian brands charged 300% related to what They cost in Italy. For instance the gaggia machine people is talking about here is sold on amazon.it at ~100E with three stars. Here is sold at 13000THB.  This is considered a very low quality machine. Also remember that the grinder make for 70% for a decent espresso!!!!!!

Do You want to see some good brand machines? Check it here: https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com

One thing very important to consider is to have a 58 mm filter.  I am considering to buy with the budget I have a Lelit Pl41Plus.  Amazon.it listed at 550E -20%vat= ~440E +80 amazon global +220 custum duties which I Think will be less when will be cleared.  Shipito Austria super expensive, 200euro plus VAT which is 20% for Italy so out of equation.  

If You have money to spend check the PL62 available with amazon.it at 1100E.  That is not indestructible. For grinder If You are serious You need something like elektra or lelit .  

If You are cheap check hairo skeleton which You can find on lazada. This is a company from Japan. 

I asked a quotation to the guy listed above but He use only DHL.. Most probably I will go with amazon instead. But He sell spare parts which are important as well...

• Like 1

for servicing If You are worried about assuming You can get spare parts just go to soft ice cream seller and deal with their technician. They may be not interested at first sight but they change fast idea with a couple of 1000THB.  Servicing for a good quality machine is required not too often. 

15 minutes ago, coccigelus said:

for servicing If You are worried about assuming You can get spare parts just go to soft ice cream seller and deal with their technician. They may be not interested at first sight but they change fast idea with a couple of 1000THB.  Servicing for a good quality machine is required not too often. 

By 'servicing' I assume you could mean 2 things:

- Actual repair because some mechanical part of the machine is broken or damaged, etc.

- Cleaning all of the tubes etc., inside of the machine. This is the problem with my small steam operated machine (Mex Mini) over perhaps 5 years of use (several times every day) my machine works appears to work properly properly but the coffee is coming out much slower / and much reduced in volume. Is there a simple product available to clean out the internal parts of such machines? 

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Have you tried 50/50 vinegar and water? 

Do you mean put the 50/50 vinegar and water mix in the water tank then start the normal operation of the machine creating steam and let that continue for  while?

Fed up with budget machines not making it a year I bought a Heston Barista on eBay brand new £240 13kg put in a bag paid £60 for an extra bag 2 years ago same model here but badged Breville 30,000bt if anyone wants a recommendation of a perfect product this is it stunning coffee with Hillkoff Italian expresso ????  

55 minutes ago, scorecard said:

By 'servicing' I assume you could mean 2 things:

- Actual repair because some mechanical part of the machine is broken or damaged, etc.

- Cleaning all of the tubes etc., inside of the machine. This is the problem with my small steam operated machine (Mex Mini) over perhaps 5 years of use (several times every day) my machine works appears to work properly properly but the coffee is coming out much slower / and much reduced in volume. Is there a simple product available to clean out the internal parts of such machines? 

Allora, You have a couple of options:

You can use vinegar or citric acid (same as lemon) with the latter being the superior solution. Or better use specific products such as:

https://www.amazon.it/Electrolux-900256456-Decalcificante-Premium-Macchina/dp/B00DBPGQRC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=top10casa-21&linkId=2d706f3c681dff07be4ea4281aec41d1

https://www.amazon.it/DeLonghi-ECODECALK-Decalcificante-Naturale-500/dp/B008YETL18?SubscriptionId=AKIAIKZUC6TZBZPT7MLQ&tag=top10casa-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B008YETL18

Not sure if those products are available at homepro.

Problem with citric acid is that could be a problem for rubber garnish etc..

37 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Fed up with budget machines not making it a year I bought a Heston Barista on eBay brand new £240 13kg put in a bag paid £60 for an extra bag 2 years ago same model here but badged Breville 30,000bt if anyone wants a recommendation of a perfect product this is it stunning coffee with Hillkoff Italian expresso ????  

Note a number of Breville machines here - seem to be professional grade.

https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=Breville

34 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Hillkof is ok. But I would actually suggest (to try) Doi Tung. What I do is the following: I call once every 3 months and I order 5 kg directly in Chang Mai the top quality ARABICA They have and asking them to do dark roasted. At the beginning They weren't very happy to do the customization but luckily They started to do. That however is not the exactly blend of espresso which require robusta as well. 

21 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

What would be a decent machine for a small restaurant, serving maximum 50 coffees a day ?? I can get the fully auto Saeco Lirika in Singapore for 23000 baht, but would it hold up to that much use !!

Personally I would avoid at any cost. But If You are not crazy for coffee and Your average customers is the typical Thai would probably be a good choice from an economical pow. 

If You want to get taste espresso You need to increase your budget. 50 coffee a day are not that much and You do not need a big machine. You need also (very important) a good grinder. 

Edited by coccigelus