Suvarnabhumi Airport Runway Fixed, Operational Friday

webfact

Why is there so little in the English newspapers about this? (Not sure if there is anything in the Thai news).

Actually I don't think it is a big deal. Airports around the world do continuous repair work.

A 15 minute repair job is not a big deal.

• Like 1

' He said that such cracks are found at many other spots of the runway. ' I think that he is trying to tell us that as soon as the East runway is repaired and reopens ------- we can look forward to several months of the West runway being closed for maintenance.

Why is there so little in the English newspapers about this? (Not sure if there is anything in the Thai news).

Actually I don't think it is a big deal. Airports around the world do continuous repair work.

A 15 minute repair job is not a big deal.

It's usually repaired well in advance, and planes aren't diverted to other airports to deal with it.

I was OK with this story up to the point where the guy said the subsidence wasn't caused by a construction flaw. Now an airport runway is an entirely man made thing. If it wasn't caused by a construction flaw - and I'm speaking as a retired civil engineer - then there are only three other possible explanations. A natural disaster, deliberate sabotage or evil spirits.

Anyone who has lived in Thailand for a while will be able to guess which one it was.

Many comments based on assumptions rather than facts. People have become so cynical about Thailand…

If they don’t fix the problem it is bad, if they fix it too quick it is a bungled repair… one way or another, we have these posts.

I travel several times a month. Personally I love this airport. I find it fast and convenient.

Remember how they solved the long queues a few months back. They did a wonderful job. Nobody is talking about it now.

Have you tried Roissy Charles de Gaulle in France? It is a nightmare. Still I don’t think there is a website where Thais would criticize CDG airport and French people on a daily basis.

• Like 2

Does anyone have any idea what what the President of AOt is talking about ?? Does he know what he is talking about ? He wants "airport staff members" to be " equipped with additional landing gear in the event of an emergency". Does anyone know what this means ?

They will probably float the planes down onto giant skateboards to spread the load across the width of the runway.

And while I'm at it

................ western runway had to shoulder additional weight, causing it to crack and collapse.

We now have heavier planes coming in?

If these remarks are accurate then he must be as well aquainted with the laws of physics as the honourable minister for science and the consumption of protected species.

They had Double Decker landings and takeoffs , a single aisle small aircraft riding piggy back on a jumbo.

They got the idea from NASA and the space shuttles.

Its all about soil mechanics its obvious the soil wasn't compacted properly. If anyone knows what I'm talking about there are people who specialize in this type of work and its obvious one wasn't consulted on this job.

Very good, this is the type of replies that are true to the point not negative or flaming anyone but factual.

Many post here are just to get people fired up and many who post no nothing about construction, human possibilities, respect for the Thais and their lifestyle or culture. Let them do their thing and if you don't like it leave. I am sure you won't do that as you want to exploit the Kingdom's resources . IE; cheap living, buying girls, drinking all night, etc. What you do is not my business as what the government does is not yours. Yes you can voice your opinion but with facts no just personal, selfish, biased and yes bigoted observations.

I Love Thailand. What ever they do is fine with me. I Love living here, the culture, food and people. I look forward to the day when they get it right. There are many problems in the Government, corruption etc but I can't vote except with my wallet that I do often but I tell businesses calmly what can be improved, the Thai way, never angry but instructing and teaching.

Kind regards,

Randy

Another rather typical newbie "If you don't like it you can leave" comment.

Most of the posters on this board know that when they read stories like this one, that somewhere, someone has taken a shortcut, which seems fine by you. However shortcuts (read corrupt practices) often lead to loss of life and equipment.

There have been more than enough reports on this forum of shoddy workmanship and practices in the fairly long time I have been a member. One cannot help but become somewhat cynical and dare I say "negative when we read statements "It was fixed in 15 minutes" and the runway "had to shoulder extra weight".

Believe me, I know students in high school who could tell you just how inane that comment is.

I don't believe there have been too many Antonov 225's landing at Swampy, but the runway should have been built to world standards to cope with this. But most members remember the Swampy construction debacle from years ago.

Yes, there are some negative comments by some posters but they also tend to give credit where due. The main trouble is in Thailand, it's quite hard to find very much where credit is due especially where politicians (of all colors) are concerned..

Oh, yes, on a positive note,they do have good food, cute babes and decent weather most of the time.

Most people I know love living here too, but I am sure they will get things right one day soon.

As for your statement about cheap living, buying girls and drinking all night, I wouldn't know, but perhaps you do?whistling.gif

Another Newbie qote ??? take a look at the posters he is talking about (Advanced member, Senior memmber ??) they only have these titles because they post on anything and everything mostly negative !! Posts do not make you knowledgable about anything and everything that happens in Thailand and knowing all the chic sayings does not either !!!

Thats good, but how long untill the next time?

I Love all the negativity, why do you live here.

Yeah, but it's almost amusing to read inane comments, from those who know nothing of the subject, passing irrelevant remarks on a completely none newsworthy subject.

The runway got repaired, in a few minutes, going to rain here soon.....................

Light relief, I suppose.

And you know from where all these problems come? From the time that the airport area was reclaimed with sub-standard sand coming from borrow pits belonging to TRT politicians. Certificates (???) were available for every borrow pit which belonged to the right person and sub-standard sand was imported to reclaim the area with all its consequences. This airport ladies and gentlemen has costed the triple of a normal price. Remember the CT-scanners which were only the tip of the iceberg... Proposals have been made for hydraulic reclamation of the area with sand from the nearby sea (which would have been at 1/3 of the cost) but then all these TRT-politicians would have been without any additional income and the proposal was quickly dumped for environmenal reason: disturbing and destroying the habitats of sea-shrimps, mollusks and crabs...

Now we face the consequences and it's not over yet, ven though the runway has been repaired! More is to come on a very regular basis. This sand is of low quality and the drainage of the top layers at the airport (which is 4 meters high) is insufficient and subject to settlement (too much fine particles) producing subsequent problems with the surfacing layers. Believe me: more is to come and it will be a never ending story... The man from far away in the Middle-East sandpit is co-responsible for this! He knows the whole story!

Yikes. I was on UA 803 last night. We landed on 19R ~ 23:00 scheduled arrival was 23:05.

We were looking to arrive ~ 35 minutes early, so 22:30 but we were in several holding patterns starting near Khorat. The Captain said it was due to delays owing to the runway repairs on 1R/29L, but now I suspect it was due to this rapid repair on the parallel runway. The Captain had turned off Ch. 9 so now way to know for sure.

If these remarks are accurate then he must be as well aquainted with the laws of physics as the honourable minister for science and the consumption of protected species.

A380's perhaps?

I very much doubt that AOT would be A380 "certified" if there was just 1 suitable runway and it was closed

I was OK with this story up to the point where the guy said the subsidence wasn't caused by a construction flaw. Now an airport runway is an entirely man made thing. If it wasn't caused by a construction flaw - and I'm speaking as a retired civil engineer - then there are only three other possible explanations. A natural disaster, deliberate sabotage or evil spirits.

Anyone who has lived in Thailand for a while will be able to guess which one it was.

Look forward to the installation of a spirit house

• Like 2

Yikes. I was on UA 803 last night. We landed on 19R ~ 23:00 scheduled arrival was 23:05.

We were looking to arrive ~ 35 minutes early, so 22:30 but we were in several holding patterns starting near Khorat. The Captain said it was due to delays owing to the runway repairs on 1R/29L, but now I suspect it was due to this rapid repair on the parallel runway. The Captain had turned off Ch. 9 so now way to know for sure.

A380's perhaps?

I very much doubt that AOT would be A380 "certified" if there was just 1 suitable runway and it was closed

One was just there in Feb:

[web link missing... I guess this was against TV rules]

C'mon folks... basic google research before you comment!!!

Edited by americaninbangkok

A380's perhaps?

Not sure what you might be saying but A380's land daily at SBIA, hence the mention of heavier planes coming in. Just trying to help you understand. smile.png

http://www.airliners...ine_version=6.0

You seem painfully out of touch. There has been a spirit house at SBIA since day one. :rolleyes:

http://www.thaizer.com/thailand-photos/spirit-house-at-bangkok-airport/

Edited by lomatopo

Not sure what you might be saying but A380's land daily at SBIA, hence the mention of heavier planes coming in. Just trying to help you understand. smile.png

You seem painfully out of touch. There has been a spirit house at SBIA since day one. :rolleyes:

http://www.thaizer.com/thailand-photos/spirit-house-at-bangkok-airport/

Suvarnaphum's official airport designation is BKK. There is no such thing as SBIA in aviation.

I'm fully aware that the A380 has been landing there (and taking off too!!!) For many years. But runways are certified to support them or otherwise. There is a runway classification system CAT I, II, III etc.

A380's perhaps?

One was just there in Feb:

[web link missing... I guess this was against TV rules]

C'mon folks... basic google research before you comment!!!

I would suggest some basic aviation knowledge would help

You seem painfully out of touch. There has been a spirit house at SBIA since day one. rolleyes.gif

http://www.thaizer.c...angkok-airport/

Suvarnaphum's official airport designation is BKK. There is no such thing as SBIA in aviation.

I'm fully aware that the A380 has been landing there (and taking off too!!!) For many years. But runways are certified to support them or otherwise. There is a runway classification system CAT I, II, III etc.

SBIA is the name of the airport; Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport, while the IATA abbreviation is BKK and the ICAO abbreviation is VTBS. I prefer to use the name of the airport.

Runway classifications, CAT I, II, III refer to ILS, or Instrument Landing System, classifications rather than somehow being able to accommodate aircraft types, which you seem to be alluding to.

You seemed think the reference to heavier planes landing was somehow preposterous. I was merely pointing out how you might understand the comments.

A380's perhaps?

Thai Airwas has allredy orderd A 380 for longhaoul from Europe, are they to land at DM?blink.png

Thats good, but how long untill the next time?

I Love all the negativity, why do you live here.

May i suggest that if you dont like negativity then you should return back home to your beloved homeland, i mean why are you living here ? tongue.png

[

Very good, this is the type of replies that are true to the point not negative or flaming anyone but factual.

Many post here are just to get people fired up and many who post no nothing about construction, human possibilities, respect for the Thais and their lifestyle or culture. Let them do their thing and if you don't like it leave. I am sure you won't do that as you want to exploit the Kingdom's resources . IE; cheap living, buying girls, drinking all night, etc. What you do is not my business as what the government does is not yours. Yes you can voice your opinion but with facts no just personal, selfish, biased and yes bigoted observations.

I Love Thailand. What ever they do is fine with me. I Love living here, the culture, food and people. I look forward to the day when they get it right. There are many problems in the Government, corruption etc but I can't vote except with my wallet that I do often but I tell businesses calmly what can be improved, the Thai way, never angry but instructing and teaching.

Kind regards,

Randy

Jeeeeeeeez. You for real? coffee1.gif

Very reassuring. The same people that built it were probably hired to fix it. It would be interesting to know who was responsible for the construction contract in the beginning and who got the repair contract. That, though, would require the Thai government to be transparent and accountable, and to be transparent and accountable would mean that they couldn't be corrupt. If the Thai government were become less corrupt, it would cease to be the Thai government and Thailand altogether, as graft, unaccountability and Thai-ness seem to go hand in hand for most folks, most of the time.

Just a cheap temporary fix, like everything else done here!!!

Its all about soil mechanics its obvious the soil wasn't compacted properly. If anyone knows what I'm talking about there are people who specialize in this type of work and its obvious one wasn't consulted on this job.

Kind regards,

Randy

If you have been in Thailand for at least 6 years you will know that many sub par materials were used in the construction of this airport especially the wrong base rock for the runways and NOTHING was done and no one was held accountable for it. This is why your going to see countless problems. They did several perk tests and all failed and they did nothing toi correct the problems...this is the Thai way....just like their 15 minute fix. Hence the term "Swampy" and your going to see many more problems in the future including structural problems in the building itself. The whole airport is a disgrace and a engineering nightmare. Had they put more emphasis on the correct materials building over a swampy rice paddy you would not see so many problems. Sure runways need regular maintenance but this airport will need un-neccessary maintenance due to the corrupt individuals who were in charge of building it. But they are too influential to be held accountable unfortunately...welcome to Thailand Randy. You pay taxes in several ways and you deserve better but don't hold your breath because it's only getting worse. Many of us have already left because we are fed up with Thailand after 39 years but we still have family there and we still have to fly into that shithole of a airport. Get used to greed, corruption and the lust for money...This is Thailandcoffee1.gif

If you have been in Thailand for at least 6 years you will know that many sub par materials were used in the construction of this airport especially the wrong base rock for the runways and NOTHING was done and no one was held accountable for it. This is why your going to see countless problems. They did several perk tests and all failed and they did nothing toi correct the problems...this is the Thai way....just like their 15 minute fix. Hence the term "Swampy" and your going to see many more problems in the future including structural problems in the building itself. The whole airport is a disgrace and a engineering nightmare. Had they put more emphasis on the correct materials building over a swampy rice paddy you would not see so many problems. Sure runways need regular maintenance but this airport will need un-neccessary maintenance due to the corrupt individuals who were in charge of building it. But they are too influential to be held accountable unfortunately...welcome to Thailand Randy. You pay taxes in several ways and you deserve better but don't hold your breath because it's only getting worse. Many of us have already left because we are fed up with Thailand after 39 years but we still have family there and we still have to fly into that shithole of a airport. Get used to greed, corruption and the lust for money...This is Thailandcoffee1.gif

ermm.gif shithole of an airport? i think it's pretty nice tbh

"Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi Airport was ranked as the world’s 10th best airport for its outstanding service under the category of airports handling 30-50 million passengers annually.

The results are based on 12 million passenger surveys completed during a 10-month survey period, from July 2011 to the beginning of 2012, covering over 385 airports.

Earlier, Suvarnabhumi Airport had been dubbed by the Airports Council International (ACI) as the world’s 7th best airport of 2011 in the category of 40 million passenger-size"

http://thailand-busi...th#.T_dhvZEWo3s

Edited by nurofiend

Since when is it national news that 15 minutes of maintenance was performed on a runway?

Next thing you know, they will be professing that Thailand is the hub of quick runway maintenance.

The news was that 10 or so planes had to land at other airports because of the unscheduled maintenence.

Sent from my shoe phone

to continue:

Runway crisis deepens

Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit,

Watcharapong Thongrung

The Nation

30185692-01_big.jpg

The eastern runway of Suvarnabhumi Airport undergoes repairs. Passengers at the airport have complained of delays.

Sinkholes delay flights; govt, AOT urged to take prompt action to prevent loss of confidence

Full story:

//CLOSED//