Country Of Origin, How Important ?

soi41

I often see on threads here, posters defending the virtues/values of their homecountries. Especially the Brits and the Americans here are very good at telling the rest of us, how "perfect" the system is in their respective countries. Contradicting that is, that some of most balanced and knowledgeable posters here, with a really good understanding of Thai society are IMO the Brits and Scots(blether for the "like" ealier).

Been here for a little more than 10 years, best years of my lifesmile.png , and I never look back. Whatever little family, I still keep in touch with, visits me here. But I don't feel the need to "sell" the system of my country of origin to other posters. For better or worse Thailand is homew00t.gif , so my passport is really just a piece of paper, nothing to do with where my heart is. Only thing I regret, is that I didn't come here earlier.

So my question is, how important is your country of origin for you being you? And how does that form your POV on living in Thailand?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Thailand much longer than I lived in my country of birth. I have little interest in politics, religion, organizations or belief systems. I don’t believe I am overly influenced by my place of birth and take full responsibility for any nonsense that comes forth from my keyboard.biggrin.png

Edited by villagefarang

have lived in Thailand much longer than I lived in my country of birth. I have little interest in politics, religion, organizations or belief systems. I don’t believe I am overly influenced by my place of birth and take full responsibility for any nonsense that comes forth from my keyboard.biggrin.png

I generally can't be ar$ed either.

Good plan.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

I am from Australia. I like to keep aware of what is happenning down there but I now live in Thailand and consider this as home. I have a wife and a child on the way. I am lucky to live in the north where it is non touristy. Have lived in Phuket. The Thai people are very friendly and make me feel welcome up here. . There are some aspects I have to get use to (especially driving) but i am learning. If you think your country is so great why move?

Ever notice that the people from countries who have the best standard of living in the world never brag about it?

You don't ever (or very rarely) hear any Swedes, Norwegians, Finnish, etc..., or anyone else bragging about how amazing their country is.

• Like 2

Ever notice that the people from countries who have the best standard of living in the world never brag about it?

You don't ever (or very rarely) hear any Swedes, Norwegians, Finnish, etc..., or anyone else bragging about how amazing their country is.

So who in your opinion brags about their country. ?

I think JT should do a poll.

I could start it off, I'm from England, and I think it's a shit-hole.

Now anyone want to tell us their country is great or garbage?

If I could choose my country of birth, France or Germany or Switzerland.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Why. ?

Some of us have more than one country.

We all have a frame of reference that comes from our background. Somethings work well and smoothly, some don't.

Thailand is not my home country, never will be. At some point I will return to my home.

Life here was easier 20 years ago. I've always felt like a guest. Twenty years ago, I felt like a welcomed guest, now I am not so sure.

Sadly, East meets West in Thailand turned out to be a disappointing mix of suspicion, stereotyping and xenophobia, mostly down to the rapid growth in sex tourism and the flood of foreign criminals from the petty to the organised. The flaunting of wealth by Westerners also didn't help either.

• Like 1

Especially the Brits and the Americans here are very good at telling the rest of us, how "perfect" the system is in their respective countries.

Doesn't sound like most Brits I know. When they're not moaning about Thailand they're moaning about the UK biggrin.png

Oh we do love a good old moan, we do.

And a cuppa tea . . . you forgot to mention moaning over a cuppa tea.

• Like 2

Things are not perfect in my home country, things are not perfect in Thailand.

Some things from my home country would be good for Thailand (health care system, welfare system, no or less corruption, fair politics, less class system like society, no patronage system, old age pension scheme, real law enforcement etc.), but then again, Thailand wouldn't be Thailand anymore, certainly more expensive. But it would be fairer and better for Thai people and their living conditions.

On the other hand, in Thailand you have more choice where to eat, where to shop, how to travel about. People will not likely bother you for lack of having something better to do, or because they don't like the shirt you're wearing. Thais have less macho behavior (although I see that changing a bit).

And of course there are more pretty and fit girls walking around smile.png

But the same goes for Thailand that goes for other countries: the more money you have, the more comfortable you can make it yourself.

Unfortunately I am not a rich expat sad.png

As for the OP: I'm glad I am from where I am from. It's not perfect, but I would not bash my home country.

Then again, I am going back there in a month for a few weeks, so I might change my POV toward my home country. smile.png

I usually find myself missing my home country when I am not there, or better, certain things and people there, but missing Thailand when I am there.

Most of us (consciously or subconsciously) compare Thailand to other countries where we have lived (including our "home country").

I like the fact that this forum has an international membership base, all with different viewpoints (shaped by personal circumstances).

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 1

Why. ?

France for having similar divorce laws as Thailand (you keep what was yours)

Germany for being the rulers of Europe (and snappy Nazi uniforms)

Switzerland for the money, chocolate and skiing (and gun ownership)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

So who in your opinion brags about their country. ?

Scots. I suppose we've just got more to brag about. Rain. Midges. Alex Salmond. Wind. Rain. Wind and Rain. Hangovers....

SC

• Like 1

Of course I compare Thailand with my home country.

But I find things that are better here and things that are better at home.

Good would be to combine the good things and drop the bad in both countries......

Of course there is the trap that people glorify their past experience....

• Like 1

Having a talk with the missus the other week there, and we discovered that for me, from the age of 16, where I currently live in Thailand has been the longest time spent in one place since I left home to work. I am now 55.

Having been born on an island called Ireland, but because I was born in the north I was classed as British, so I have been confused about my origin all my life. Lessons learned from this? To me anyway, my country of origin only means support if everything comes off the rails. Am I proud to be British (or Irish for that matter!)? Good question. And this is after serving in the armed forces for 23 years; for me, difficult to answer.

Not sure if anyone else has found this, but for me living outside my home country has given me a clearer view on what is happening domestically and politically in that country. I put it down to be outside the mainstream where just accepting changes without questioning why are they doing that which normally after some moaning is what happens. I now find myself asking why the people would let their elected representitives even consider some of their decisions. Mankind is a bovine race in that it needs leaders and generally, we will follow the path of least resistance. This is how governments control.

I have always followed that where you live (not originate from) is where you live! After all, it is the rules of that place that you follow at the time and they should never be related to the rules of your original country.

Just my tuppence worth.