One In Three Thai Youth Ready To Go ‘Under The Knife’: Survey

Lite Beer

One in three Thai youth ready to go ‘under the knife’: Survey

BANGKOK, July 9 -- About one in every three Thai teenagers and university students say that they intend to use diet pills and to undergo cosmetic surgery in the hope of getting more slim and beautiful figures, while half of all children skip breakfast, according to a recent study.

Commissioned by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth), the study found that one-third of Thai teenagers were interested in using diet pills and having plastic surgery for beauty-related purposes, Amornwich Nakornthap, director of Ramjitti Institute said Monday.

In addition, Thai teenagers are facing stress.

One million secondary school to university students experienced depression and irritability without specifically identified causes while nearly half suffered from major stress leading to stomachaches and vomiting.

Meanwhile, the study reported that most Thai teenagers skip breakfast.

Half of Thailand’s secondary students eat breakfast while only 37 per cent of vocational and university students regularly have breakfast, Dr Amornwich said.

To ease these concerns, the Ramjitti Institute director advised that schools and educational institutes should adjust the educational system by increasing more alternative activities in order to help de-stress the students and to enhance student happiness, dignity and self-respect, which would also help minimise school violence.

In a related issue, Dr Amornwich revealed that Thai youth have a tendency to have premarital sex with a rising rate from 24 per cent in 2008 to 35 per cent in 2011.

Twenty-seven per cent of those surveyed in 2011 admitted that their close friends had unwanted pregnancies or abortions.

Additionally, only 53 per cent of the teenagers learned about limits and risks of using condoms and 57 per cent of them regularly carried condoms, allowing for their possible use.

Regarding crime and school violence, Dr Amornwich explained that some 700,000-1,000,000 secondary to university students nationwide experienced various forms of school violence such as the extortion of money, physical attacks and brawls with their peers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-09

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where are the parents, forget the Grandparents because they are past looking after and caring for kids. Broken families kids left to look after themselves.. Sad state of affairs in Thailand and some other countries around the world. dam_n selfish parents.. no you really can't call them parents.

Not so long back there was an article (BP??) about a young (teenage??)lady who had already had facial cosmetic surgery and committed suicide because she was unhappy about the resulted shape of her lips. According to the report, she anticipated having nicer lips in her next incarnation.

• Like 1

Most want a bigger nose.

Lets be honest here.. most Thai girls are born doomed to be lacking in certain areas of the body

firstly the face, they need a western nose to hang the western (copy) designer sunglasses on,

secondly, the breast area they want a fuller figure than the "double fried egg" size they are genetically designed to have.

thirdly the normal "00" size waist, here their in luck with an easy cure as the donut/KFC/Pizza & Pepsi diet will help them balloon into a size 6 in no time

should they over indulge with the Svensen's then of course diet pills are readily available from the doc which will help reduce the butt.. lets face it much easier than exercise.

As for skipping breakfast thats not unexpected, most are what we in the west called "latch door kids" 30 years ago, mum & dad are already out selling breakfast to other people & too busy to take care of their own.

Thailand being 30years behind the rest of the world are now discovering the western influences, food/drugs/sex & rock-n-roll will soon follow

The sad part is there is much that is good in the western culture. But that is not what they want. They are more interested in the material and looks side of it.

What is really bad is women trying to slim down to be what is called anorexic in the medical field and a good build in the eyes of the women.

For sure the fast foods are not helping things along but they are such a small part of the problem that they don't even count. When you say fast food to most Thai's they think you are talking about a 7 11. That is if you are not in a tourist area. And most of Thailand is not in a tourist area. And if it is a tourist area there is no guarantee they will be there. Look at Pai or My Hong Son.

On the other hand white rice is not exactly a non fattening food and you would have to try very hard to find a Thai who is not familiar with it.

I'd say to them..."You people....what are you thinking"?

"kao mai-dai lok rao gin

It wasn't the foreginers who cheated us.

lok rao nan lok-dtua-eng ... oie

But it was us who cheated ourselves...oh...."

Made In Thailand --- Carabao

Can they put that in the national anthem?

• Like 1

We know one of the biggest problems is the sponsers, plastered everywhere-and on t.v. endlessly, Thai kids want more quickly because it's relatively all new to them in a short time.

Suppose in the west we were gradually eased into the adverts on itv,etc. Here it's hit them all of a sudden-websites and the lot---and its I want this and I want that--you can't blame them--it is shoved down their throats. Most girls seem to want farangs--I think because they want the better things in life, and we are a stepping stone (in general) They do not want to think that they will end up like their parents--having NOWT.

• Like 1

Most want a bigger nose.

if i had a nickel for everytime i heard that from a bar girl i would be rich now why you so handsome can you give me your noise law law . biggrin.png other times were like can you give me your baby's i was like <deleted> only come in for a beer .. giggle.gif

• Like 1

"In addition, Thai teenagers are facing stress.

One million secondary school to university students experienced depression and irritability without specifically identified causes while nearly half suffered from major stress leading to stomachaches and vomiting."

Oh! Dear. They have to do homework, preferably uncopied. Such a dilemma! Stress inducing, leading to obesity.

Pull the other one. Greed and wanton wanting is a major contributor.

Skipping breakfast is not a major health concern, in fact recent scientific studies suggest that even eating for one day and missing the next, and repetition of this, is actually quite healthy and good for maintaining a healthy weight, and is a resilience of humans from ages ago, when hunting was unsuccessful one day causing frugal eating, then.successful another rebuilding the system.

Thais eat all day long, virtually every hour. That is not a habit change, but the foods they now consume have changed dramatically.

Sod the skipping breakfast as a concern, advise on what to eat in relation to calories used and calories consumed.

Thais are getting fatter - no two ways about it!

-mel.

Edited by MEL1
  • Like 2

"In addition, Thai teenagers are facing stress.

One million secondary school to university students experienced depression and irritability without specifically identified causes while nearly half suffered from major stress leading to stomachaches and vomiting."

Oh! Dear. They have to do homework, preferably uncopied. Such a dilemma! Stress inducing, leading to obesity.

Pull the other one. Greed and wanton wanting is a major contributor.

Skipping breakfast is not a major health concern, in fact recent scientific studies suggest that even eating for one day and missing the next, and repetition of this, is actually quite healthy and good for maintaining a healthy weight, and is a resilience of humans from ages ago, when hunting was unsuccessful one day causing frugal eating, then.successful another rebuilding the system.

Thais eat all day long, virtually every hour. That is not a habit change, but the foods they now consume have changed dramatically.

Sod the skipping breakfast as a concern, advise on what to eat in relation to calories used and calories consumed.

Thais are getting fatter - no two ways about it!

-mel.

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks." as the old saying goes

I'd say to them..."You people....what are you thinking"?

"kao mai-dai lok rao gin

It wasn't the foreginers who cheated us.

lok rao nan lok-dtua-eng ... oie

But it was us who cheated ourselves...oh...."

Made In Thailand --- Carabao

I love Carabao.wai.gif

Most want a bigger nose.

if i had a nickel for everytime i heard that from a bar girl i would be rich now why you so handsome can you give me your noise law law . biggrin.png other times were like can you give me your baby's i was like <deleted> only come in for a beer .. giggle.gif

Yeah, they pick the bigger nose before the tits too.

You can buy a padded bra and that works,

but you can't pad a micro-snoze no matter how you shade it.

6,000 baht and stay out of site for 2 weeks, and it's a new you.

The tits gonna take months of work, or working on the boyfriend to spring for them.

Edited by animatic

This is GREAT news!!!!!!

So soon nobody will be ugly, and everyone will look the same!!

Please tell the name of the major diet pill manufacturer in Thailand...... (fat, lazy) fools and their money are so easily parted.

Most want a bigger nose.

The tits gonna take months of work, or working on the boyfriend to spring for them.

cheesy.gif Sad but true.

Most want a bigger nose.

I actually prefer the fried eggs, khai song fong. They certainly don't break my nose when she goes wild and ............. too much info.. whistling.gif

But, in all seriousness, all this investment in being white, with super expensive whitening creams that do sod all and a bit of bone up the nose; does one look at the mantle-piece when stoking the fire? If the lasses invested what they spend on trying to appear Western, after a year or three they'd have 2 rai of land, or a half paid condo. It's no wonder personal debt is becoming a big issue here - slap it on the cred card, aint no problem. Shame really, cos most of us came to get away from the Western way and the Western looks. I can only hope they don't start taking up Argentinians' appearances. Ooops, too late! cheesy.gif

-mel.