Phuket It Is

CrazyKid

I have been reading the TV for a few months now and have decided the island of Phuket will be my next home, my first in retirement. I have seen many negative posts that cause me to ask these questions of myself; If buying a new house would you study the layout before buying, Would you get in a high stakes poker game without learning the players before sitting down, The answer to all is NO. Every city I have been to has a seedy part with some more dangerous than others. I take the time to study the lay of the land before going, to learn about the neighborhoods. With just a litttle time spent I have few problems. With good planning and a few people to talk with any city can be a great place to live. Phuket here I come.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with Phuket, there are many people that moan about the place constantly, love it here!!

If you are into Fishing then Phuket is not so good, if you are into Golf then Phuket is good as long as you don't mind paying a fortune, I go off the Island for fishing and golf.

• Like 2

It really is the only place in Thailand I would consider living. Getting as much info is a good idea, and ThaiVisa is a good place to start. As you implied, do your research before you buy a home. Visit several law offices and discuss the options and get a good feel for the process and risks first. Do not fall info the trap that so may have by putting everything in your lovely new Thai girlfriends name. (No idea what your current relationship/marital status is or will be, but I say this also for all the people reading this and thinking of doing the same as you) There is a cottage industry of ripping off foreigners that do that here. I have a few farang friends that have bought or built homes here. Feel free to PM me when you arrive and if they are willing to share their experiences I can put you in contact.

Welcome!

• Like 1

Phuket has the full package of infrastructure and 'farang' home comforts. Sure there are problems here on the island, but with research and experience many of these can be avoided. This week I have been touring north central Thailand. I will be happy to fly back to Phuket tomorrow.

Phuket has the full package of infrastructure and 'farang' home comforts. Sure there are problems here on the island, but with research and experience many of these can be avoided. This week I have been touring north central Thailand. I will be happy to fly back to Phuket tomorrow.

It would be interesting to know the proper expat population figures for Phuket. I know a few expats that have moved away from Phuket in recent times.

It would be interesting to know the figures for new arrivals, as compared to departures, from the Phuket expat community.

It would be interesting to know the proper expat population figures for Phuket. I know a few expats that have moved away from Phuket in recent times.

It would be interesting to know the figures for new arrivals, as compared to departures, from the Phuket expat community.

Some of the demographics may be changing ever so slightly, depending on the area of Phuket you are talking about. In my area of Rawai I see many of the same people that have been here for a long time, but a few of the old characters, like Don (Don's Mall) have moved and several I know have died. Before you start, of old age or long time illness. On the other hand I see places that have been for sale for many years, with more being built. I would be interested in the numbers as well. I received and filled out the last Phuket Census that was conducted, so maybe I am accounted for. I know they accept my money and put a lot of stamps in my passport every year!

Some of the demographics may be changing ever so slightly, depending on the area of Phuket you are talking about. In my area of Rawai I see many of the same people that have been here for a long time, but a few of the old characters, like Don (Don's Mall) have moved and several I know have died. Before you start, of old age or long time illness. On the other hand I see places that have been for sale for many years, with more being built. I would be interested in the numbers as well. I received and filled out the last Phuket Census that was conducted, so maybe I am accounted for. I know they accept my money and put a lot of stamps in my passport every year!

Phuket first took off in the 80's for the retirees. These guys would be quite elderly now. You mention some have passed, but have you met any new expats lately?

As I mentioned, I know some that have moved away, but have not met any newcomers.

I have also noticed the many apartments for sale that can't seemed to be sold.

So, the question is, are there more expats moving away from Phuket, or passing away from age/illness, than there are coming to Phuket to take their place?

Do other members know more that have died or left Phuket, than they have met new expats here?

It would be interesting to know if Phuket currently still holds the same appeal for retirees as it did in the past. I know Hua Hin seems to be the choice for Germans and Scandi's at the moment.

Thanks for the input. I hope/plan to meet with those of you that have the time when i arrive.

Part of the possible decline may be due to the economy. Many of my friends are working more than they had planned. I am getting out at 62, 4 years early for full social security. Two years ago I lost big time on the housing market, 2 houses and a duplex gone (must admit divorce and exwife helped some). I have no kids, no wife, no bills and still crazy after all these years so no reason to work myself to death.

I just finished reading the novel Bangkok 8, some interesting insights. Looking at the big picture; life in the USA is very similar to Thailand, corruption and danger is all around and one needs to watch out but not be affraid to live.

Edit; Oh yea i was wondering, I am not fat, not balding and have some money, Will I fit in???

Edited by CrazyKid

Thanks for the input. I hope/plan to meet with those of you that have the time when i arrive.

Part of the possible decline may be due to the economy. Many of my friends are working more than they had planned. I am getting out at 62, 4 years early for full social security. Two years ago I lost big time on the housing market, 2 houses and a duplex gone (must admit divorce and exwife helped some). I have no kids, no wife, no bills and still crazy after all these years so no reason to work myself to death.

I just finished reading the novel Bangkok 8, some interesting insights. Looking at the big picture; life in the USA is very similar to Thailand, corruption and danger is all around and one needs to watch out but not be affraid to live.

Edit; Oh yea i was wondering, I am not fat, not balding and have some money, Will I fit in???

"and have some money" - that's all they care about here. Nobody cares about anything else, including you. :) :) :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Hi

Welcome to Phuket..

Phuket has something for everyone... and i am sure youi will enjoy it...

i like it, ok there is some things i am not keen on , but there is a lot more positives than negatives..

I have an excellent life style , which i could not have anywhere else.. thats for sure..

The Thai people, are mostlly lovely and helpful...

There is no where perfect, previous to Phuket, I lived in France, and this place is a DREAM to there, thats for sure..

Anyway, all the best and once again ''Welcome''..

• Like 2

Getting as much info is a good idea, and ThaiVisa is a good place to start.

Yeah it's a good place to start but I think the demographics of this forum are quite limited so not ideal for information on everything. I wouldn't come on here for info on club nights or anything happening north of Patong for example (or pretty much outside Rawai).

• Like 2

It really is the only place in Thailand I would consider living.

me too, and i've lived a lot of places in thailand so know the place pretty well. phuket is far from perfect but its got a bit of everything that makes live worth living.

Wrong forum for your question!

What answers do you expect from people they (still) live here?

For a more complex view you have to find people they stood here and decided to leave. This is much more interesting, believe me.

I live here too but I am far away from any shouting and cheering like some posters here do.

You will like man things on Phuket and you will hate a lot too. Everything up from your personality, your wishes and your expectations.

The tendency and development in living quality is clearly negativ. Unfortunatly the problems are increasing rapidly. The nice niches are smaller und more difficult to find.

Edited by Wikinger2

For a more complex view you have to find people they stood here and decided to leave. This is much more interesting, believe me.

I live here too but I am far away from any shouting and cheering like some posters here do.

You will like man things on Phuket and you will hate a lot too. Everything up from your personality, your wishes and your expectations.

The tendency and development in living quality is clearly negativ. Unfortunatly the problems are increasing rapidly. The nice niches are smaller und more difficult to find.

It is getting worse here also. Seems most cities the world over are getting worse. Finding a few people that know the good areas/ least dangerous would be harder if I spoke to people not living there NOW.

Thank You for the idea, I'll try talking to some that have left.

It is getting worse here also. Seems most cities the world over are getting worse. Finding a few people that know the good areas/ least dangerous would be harder if I spoke to people not living there NOW.

You make your own mind up about a place, everyone is different so asking others who are not like you is a waste of time, here you behave yourself, be polite even if the people around you are not, in 3 yrs here I have not had one problem!!

Be polite, considerate and you will have no problems here!!

Edited by kawapower

Finding a few people that know the good areas/ least dangerous

Can you confirm where the "dangerous" areas are? I know a lot of good areas but aren't aware of any specifically dangerous areas....

Finding a few people that know the good areas/ least dangerous

Can you confirm where the "dangerous" areas are? I know a lot of good areas but aren't aware of any specifically dangerous areas....

Maybe Patong in the early hours could be considered dangerous, not aware of any other dangerous areas, I believe it is individuals behaviour that can make any place dangerous!!

Edited by kawapower

You make your own mind up about a place, everyone is different so asking others who are not like you is a waste of time, here you behave yourself, be polite even if the people around you are not, in 3 yrs here I have not had one problem!!

Be polite, considerate and you will have no problems here!!

That is what I figuredthumbsup.gif

You say you want to buy a house if so you should take your time and look all over the island to establish the true value of houses also to find out where you want to live, the north of the island is definately cheaper

Don't listen to agents or private people a lot speculate in property and want far to much for the houses they have for sale, the boom times have gone in real estate here and it is definately a buyers market

If you are single renting is cheap here and you are better of renting unless you have a partner you completely trust, you cannot legally own the land what the house sits on it must be in a Thai persons name

You can go the company way but they changed the rules about 4 years ago and i do not know how safe it is

We bought a 5 year old house because of the poor construction standards here and the way they make poorly constructed new houses look good and them after 5 years you have to renovate these houses

Phuket is a great place to live, i have been here 6 years now and love the place

As mentioned in a previous post, you may discover that many more people are leaving Phuket than are moving to Phuket. You should ask yourself, "Why?"

As mentioned in a previous post, you may discover that many more people are leaving Phuket than are moving to Phuket. You should ask yourself, "Why?"

Or you may not discover. With Chiang Mai being half the cost of Phuket, those on fixed budgets/pensions simply can't afford it here as compared to a few years ago. I was talking to a friend a few days ago and he was in Chiang Mai for a bit visiting his ex and he was saying how cheap it was, yet there's no way he could live there. We were conversing while sitting at a beach and we both commented, " You can't find this in Chiang Mai". If you're a beach person, I can't think of anywhere else that offers all the conveniences and amenities that Phuket offers.

Or you may not discover. With Chiang Mai being half the cost of Phuket, those on fixed budgets/pensions simply can't afford it here as compared to a few years ago. I was talking to a friend a few days ago and he was in Chiang Mai for a bit visiting his ex and he was saying how cheap it was, yet there's no way he could live there. We were conversing while sitting at a beach and we both commented, " You can't find this in Chiang Mai". If you're a beach person, I can't think of anywhere else that offers all the conveniences and amenities that Phuket offers.

I have a friend who used to live on Phuket and moved to Chiang Mai. He loves it there and, yes, it's a lot cheaper. Every 6 weeks or so he hops on a cheap AirAsia direct flight to Phuket for his dose of sun, sea and sand for a week or so, and than returns to the sanity of Chiang Mai.

AirAsia must have done their research and discovered a demand from the expat community for this route.

So, he doesn't really miss out on much. He has the temples, culture, less humidity, REAL Thai smiles and friendly locals, affordability, less crime, less violence, less scams, less sex tourist etc etc etc etc of Chiang Mai in the north - then visits Phuket for the beach and party on a very regular basis. It's not a bad idea.

I take your point that many may have moved away from Phuket due to "finances." However, that possibly leads to another question, is Phuket value for money, or do you pay too much to be here?

As mentioned, many Scandi's and Germans chosing to live in Hua Hin now. Hua Hin has a great beach and is cheaper and does not have all the BS that Phuket has.

I fail to see how Chang Mai could be half as much as Phuket, is petrol half price? Is food half price? Car and bikes half as much, is insurance cheaper!! Things might be a little less but I am thinking by not much!!

Edited by kawapower

My own belief for this is that whilst there has always been a turnover of expats similar to that of any expat community in the world, the global recession of recent years has particularly impacted those with the financial means to become an expat.

Property has become difficult to sell and is priced less, people aren't getting the redundancy/severance/pensions of a few years ago also. For many people, it's an era of personal uncertainty, which dampens the enthusiasm for migrating that uncertainly to a foreign country.

My own belief for this is that whilst there has always been a turnover of expats similar to that of any expat community in the world, the global recession of recent years has particularly impacted those with the financial means to become an expat.

Property has become difficult to sell and is priced less, people aren't getting the redundancy/severance/pensions of a few years ago also. For many people, it's an era of personal uncertainty, which dampens the enthusiasm for migrating that uncertainly to a foreign country.

Agree with you there. In addition I also seriously doubt more people are leaving Phuket than moving to it. Would very much like to see numbers, in stead of some persons belief stated as a fact.