Thai Citizenship For My American Born Daughter

My Thai wife and I (American) are considering purchasing property in Thailand. I understand that only Thais are allowed to own land in Thailand.

We have no problem purchasing land in her name but have heard that upon my wife's death the property cannot pass to me (American) but will pass to her Thai relatives.

We were wondering if there was any way of getting Thai citizenship for my daughter so she could inherit the property should my wife or both of us die.

Can the adult daughter of a Thai citizen get Thai citizenship based on her Thai parent?

If so, what is the process?

If you register the birth with the Thai authorities immediately after her birth it is very easy but once is an adult it might be more difficult. I think it'd depend on a lot of things including your daughters age now. Why not ask your nearest Thai embassy, that's what we did when in that situation years ago.

My Thai wife and I (American) are considering purchasing property in Thailand. I understand that only Thais are allowed to own land in Thailand.

We have no problem purchasing land in her name but have heard that upon my wife's death the property cannot pass to me (American) but will pass to her Thai relatives.

We were wondering if there was any way of getting Thai citizenship for my daughter so she could inherit the property should my wife or both of us die.

Can the adult daughter of a Thai citizen get Thai citizenship based on her Thai parent?

If so, what is the process?

This is not quite true.You should both get wills in Thailand and then you would inherit as statutory heir. However you would not be able to own the property and of course you would need to sell or transfer. A 30 year lease could also be obtained by yourself, thus reducing the freehold value and making it much less interesting to potential objectors. It, of course, would still be a good idea for your daughter to have Thai citizenship in case a transfer was required.

If you’re interested, the Thai Nationality Act is here.

By law, she already is a Thai national as per Section 7(1). As advised by others, she should contact a Thai consulate for the procedure to obtain her Thai passport.

---------------

Maestro