Bupa Thailand - Apply Pre-Existing Conditions Exclusions To Transferring Members

F1fanatic

I've insured with Bupa for around 30 years - first Bupa UK and then Bupa International when I moved to Thailand.

Long, boring story, but I need to cut my health insurance costs, so thought I'd transfer to Bupa Thailand to save some money until my circumstances improve.

It turns out that because Bupa International transferred my policy from Bupa UK (as opposed to underwriting it as a new policy), Bupa Thailand effectively treat me as a new customer and apply pre-existing conditions exclusions if I transfer.

Has anyone else come across this?

Yes, a friend who was, like you, insured with BUPA UK (Group Policy) and, on moving to Thailand, transferred to BUPA International. He then discussed transferring his insurance to BUPA Thailand with the local office in Pattaya and he was told exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

You did not say your age ?

Because its irrelevant to the question I'm asking - it was just a bit of a shock to discover that after 30 years of cover with the same company, I'd be treated the same as a new customer!

But, I'm 53 so after 30 odd years have a couple of health on-going issues that arose long after I first took out Bupa insurance.

They are either unimportant (broke wrist a year or so ago) or two of them 'chronic', insofar as they require tablets for the rest of my life. The 'chronic' conditions are unlikely to cause further problems (and neither necessitated a claim from Bupa other than investigation to establish the cause of the symptoms).

Interestingly, Bupa Thailand even imposed an exclusion re the broken wrist a year or so ago!

I now realise that Bupa Thailand operate under entirely different rules to Bupa UK and International (whereby its a genuine transfer between branches).

Edited by F1fanatic

A bit away fr the topic but I just paid my Platinum

Premium but cancelled OPD which was 50k per year and the premium dropped by approx 48k. Get a lot of OPD for 48k

As long as you are aware that OP treatment includes cancer treatment, of which you get very little for 48k.

Sophon

Premium but cancelled OPD which was 50k per year and the premium dropped by approx 48k. Get a lot of OPD for 48k

Hi laceman,

sent you a PM, but no reply as yet so will ask the question here,"can you explain in a little more detail what you did and now have in the way of BUPA cover, as mine is due for renewal in a few days and a reduction in premium would be great".

Many thanks.

It does seem unfair but BUPA Thailand is effectively a different company to the main BUPA operation. The company is effectively the old Blue Cross but there must be at least partial ownership from the main UK company.

In my opinion it is wrong that they should be able to use the BUPA name but not have transferable policies. BUPA is an internationally known brand, not a franchise operation.

It may not help but I personally would email Dean Holden, who is MD of BUPA's international markets, including Thailand, and explain your situation and your dissatisfaction. I don't know the email address but there are ways of finding these things!

If you do please let us know the outcome.

Hi laceman,

sent you a PM, but no reply as yet so will ask the question here,"can you explain in a little more detail what you did and now have in the way of BUPA cover, as mine is due for renewal in a few days and a reduction in premium would be great".

Many thanks.

Help anyone.............if you understood laceman's post better than I did then perhaps you could enlighten me as to exactly what he did to reduce his Bupa premium. Mine now due in a few days!! Thanks.

Looks like the canceled the OPD which is "out patient" coverage. He still will have full coverage of accidents, still will have "in patient coverage" of all sorts of medical situations and even will have follow up treatments paid by BUPA done on an "out patient basis" if they are according to the simple terms of his policy following an "In Patient procedure" (such as the follow up to remove stitches). The BUPA policy is in English, not hard to understand. OPD for many expats is NOT a good value. The Phuket based insurance broker I used to purchase health insurance tried to steer me AWAY from OPD coverage and AWAY from dental coverage. He was correct, with the restrictions on actual OPD coverage it was not a good use of funds. I needed his advise and never bought OPD after the first year of coverage in Thailand. The in patient coverage of BUPA Platinum has been very worthwhile in our situation.

Looks like the canceled the OPD which is "out patient" coverage. He still will have full coverage of accidents, still will have "in patient coverage" of all sorts of medical situations and even will have follow up treatments paid by BUPA done on an "out patient basis" if they are according to the simple terms of his policy following an "In Patient procedure" (such as the follow up to remove stitches). The BUPA policy is in English, not hard to understand. OPD for many expats is NOT a good value. The Phuket based insurance broker I used to purchase health insurance tried to steer me AWAY from OPD coverage and AWAY from dental coverage. He was correct, with the restrictions on actual OPD coverage it was not a good use of funds. I needed his advise and never bought OPD after the first year of coverage in Thailand. The in patient coverage of BUPA Platinum has been very worthwhile in our situation.

Many thanks for that kamalabob2, much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I looked at BUPA Thailand and I must say that I choose BUPA international (UK) in the end..

Even though my family cover is almost $9000 a year, the UK coverage was far superior to anything BUPA Thailand could offer, if it's not too late I would ask about reverting back to your old policy.

BUPA Thailand is the service provider for BUPA international and deal with most day to day stuff (Including coming to visit you in the hospital to sign paperwork), with one exception.. BUPA Thailand are reluctant to do anything out of hours (They don't want to wake their managers), whereas BUPA International faxed the payment guarantee to the hospital within minutes of me calling them up complaining about lack of action from the Thai service provider.

Edited by Satcommlee

I ditched BUPA Thailand after more than a decade. I stayed with them despite being offered other work-offered medical coverage plans in that BUPA offers coverage for life if continously enrolled prior to age 60. The problem is that BUPA does not print those rates as it does for all other age groups, and yes, you guessed why - their rates steeply climb. In over a decade I had only one 3-day hospitalization involving solely bedrest for strained muscles sustained in a fall.

BUPA 'Emerald' rates initially were fair, but in later years rose steeply, even throughout my forties and fifties.

I voted with my feet and took coverage from LMG which was near half the BUPA rate for essentially the same coverage. Mind you, you must undergo a new complete medical.

Compare BUPA vs LMG for yourself.

Caveat: join prior to turning 66 or no go. Even when LMG do cover you, their rate '66 and over' have, apart from the typical medical exclusions associated with all insurance agencies, specific exclusions for conditions normally associated with seniors such as arthritic joints, etc.

I renew on the 1st of each year, and am eager to see any rate rise come New years 2013, given my no claims status. If their rates do rise, I am essentially at their mercy as I can no longer obtain coverage due to my age.

From the foregoing posts and my experience, one must conduct thorough due diligence if your intention is lifetime medical coverage. Moving from one insurance company to another, or even changing coverage within your chosen provider, may well work to your detriment.

'Caveat emptor' folks, the insurance companies have only their monetary interests, not yours, in mind. FWIW...coffee1.gif