Is Thailand Really The Land Of Smiles?

connda

I've been a critic of the use of the phrase "The Land of Smiles" to describe Thailand for quite a while.

From the time I got off the plane at Suvarnabhumi five years ago, the first thing I met was "grumpy" -- i.e., Immigration. Then off to my hotel to meet, "grumpy" -- hotel clerk. Then off to a restaurant to meet, "grumpy" -- waitress. Those who weren't "grumpy" were generally hustling: Tuk tuk drivers (where you go), bargirsl (hello handsome man), taxi drivers (I love farangs and somtum), upscale any-store (you buy, mai?) The service industry, that which I interface with on a day-to-day basis, is full of examples of pathetically poor customer service. I guess as a Farang, I thought this was targeted toward me. Wrong.

Five years later, I live in a small rural between Lamphun and Lampang. As far as I know, I'm the only farang in the mountain valley that I live in. I also spend time in Chiang Mai and Lamphun. What I still see is certain lapses in customer service: restaurant workers seldom smile, but not just to me, to their Thai customers too. Tuk tuk drivers hustle me with the "fake" smile, but tuk tuk drivers hustle Thais with the "fake" smile too. Upscale stores and salons smile at anyone with the potential of lining their pockets -- smiles for hire.

So where is this elusive "Land of Smiles?" It's out in the middle of nowhere and it's in the middle of the cities. It's in the villages. Maybe it's in the inter-city communities too. It's in the fabric of the community. It's in the families. It is here! If you can integrate yourself into a community, you will see it. If you take the time to learn the language and communicate, you will see it. It is there!

You need to know where to look.

So comments fellow Farang: Where do you find Smiles in "The Land of Smiles" mai? :)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife who like me is a Farang says yes " They always smile when they take your money " !!!!!!

That are the Chinese Thais

I.e. landlords, shopkeepers etc...

yes....everyone that is owner.

Than there staff has no reason to smile.

All others do smile....

• Like 1

I remember last years flooding (not too much in CM, but still). I walked (waded) in knee-high water to the local shop to by some beer and there was a lot of people sitting outside and having a beer or two, all smiles. smile.png

Had this been in Farang land, they would have been busy making nooses and wills.

I waded in the next 7/11 who had on stock:

1 can of Tuna in Mayonnaise sauce (no one wanted to buy that).

No water, no orange juice, no coke.

But they had the Bacardi breezer. I took 10 and at the counter they made an annoyed face (no smile)....No....3 PM....no alcohol.

I find often that 'young white skinned people especially with blonde hair are given smiles everywhere' ESPECIALLY western women! Now being a tall dark and handsome type here over age 30 will get you a lot of upside down smiles and dirty looks. I've observed a place in Kanchanaburi where an italian friend of mine around 35 years old with a trimmed beard bought something at a market stall and he was frowned at and treated rudely. Next comes in the 25 year old swedish couple and you could see all the Thai's smiling and saying "Suay Mak mak". So I think it is the land of smiles if your young, pale, handsome or beautiful. Anyone who looks like a mexican, indian or iranian will be treated as an enemy. Your in the land of superficiality. Skin whitening products and plastic surgery are some of the biggest money makers known to man here in Thailand. The Land of Smiles for those with full wallets, white skin and blonde hair!

• Like 2

Funny thing about a smile...

It says everything and it says nothing.

Attitude is perhaps more important. How you act and how others perceive you is what life is all about. Your perception is rather like looking at a rubrik cube.

How do you perceive it to be?

Behaviour breeds behaviour.

Personally - I have never had this problem. Took as I found and still do.

I am not a 'New kid on the block'. I have been here a number of years and lived in a variety of places but yes, Chiang Mai is now my domicile.

For sure, there are charlatans and crooks (as there are all over the world)... but the everyday people will respond to you as you inititially act towards them.

Have the courtesy, if not not to learn Thai language, just to learn a few simple polite phrases. It will go along way and help to make a 'bridge'.

I wish you luck !

• Like 1

Smiling yourself and speaking some Thai really brings out the smiles.

I dont have a pretty smile and I don't like to wear a facade. If others smile at me I smile back in return. Sometimes speaking some time will bring smiles but KNOWING too much will bring gossip and slander...

Smiling yourself and speaking some Thai really brings out the smiles.

Correct, and i live in a tourist island; when i am in a good mood and i smile, i get plenty of smiles back..

...When i go back for the yearly visit to homecountry, i have to be careful with strangers, someone seem to take my smile as an insult ...

• Like 1