Bad News For All Beer Drinkers

catmac

Well its just as well you like the pitiful selection of beers on offer in Thailand, because that's all the cartel is going to allow in the market.

The big joke is the ASEAN free trade agreements, being bent and twisted to keep Asia's really good beers out of Thailand.

Glad someone sees the significance of all this, GH. The first reaction of any Thai business to honest competition would seem to be not to try to improve its own product, but to do its best to drive the competition out by fair means or foul. Do you remember their first reaction to the free trade agreement was to demand a "health tax" on imported beers only. Cynical disdain for the spirit of Free Trade, and utter contempt for the concept of fair competition and consumer choice.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its just as well you like the pitiful selection of beers on offer in Thailand, because that's all the cartel is going to allow in the market.

The big joke is the ASEAN free trade agreements, being bent and twisted to keep Asia's really good beers out of Thailand.

Beer Lao and in particular Beer Lao Dark lately has been showing up increasingly at retail outlets in BKK and CM, at least, supposedly via distribution from Carlsberg. No need to be drinking the Thai c**p beer when something considerably better is available.

Beer Lao and in particular Beer Lao Dark lately has been showing up increasingly at retail outlets in BKK and CM, at least, supposedly via distribution from Carlsberg. No need to be drinking the Thai c**p beer when something considerably better is available.

Only farangs buy beer Lao and you get only overpriced small bottles. My local Villa market often has it, but when the few bottles are sold out, it takes quite some time appear again.

Only farangs buy beer Lao and you get only overpriced small bottles. My local Villa market often has it, but when the few bottles are sold out, it takes quite some time appear again.

Try Makro, they've normally got plenty.

Try Makro, they've normally got plenty.

It's also been showing up lately in Foodland shops and Big C Extras around BKK, including the Beer Lao Dark.

The BLD is running 44 or 45 baht per single bottle, just a couple baht more than some of the Thai brand bottles like Heineken. IMHO, it's well worth the couple extra baht.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Currently in communist China, you can a huge selection of beers from Europe, USA and around the world. I can't understand why nobody has jumped on this in Thailand. Although it's expensive in China (everything is) I can have a Rogue beer on tap in local bars. If you are American, you may know how great that is. I am hoping someone will open the door to good beer in thailand. They even have a delivery service we use all the time in shanghai called cheers-in

In the late 50's the only beers available in the Fleet Canteen in the Singapore Naval base were San Miguel and Tiger. The vast majority of the lads topped up their glasses with lemonade to make the beer more palatable. Lager type beers were all reckoned to be gnats pi55 but then we were used to the many beers brewed in local breweries.

UK brewing has gone downhill mainly because a good ale was stored in wooden barrels and hand pumped from the cellar. The pipes had to be cleaned every three days or so that the care and protection of the ales and stouts was a major concern for the landlord. The taste of beers varied from pub to pub and was an indication of the skills of the cellarman/landlord. My favourite was Bass Best Bitter - and that certainly cleaned your pipes out. Watney's Red Barrell was lumbered with being the butt of the joke same same as having it off in a punt.

In the late 50's the only beers available in the Fleet Canteen in the Singapore Naval base were San Miguel and Tiger. The vast majority of the lads topped up their glasses with lemonade to make the beer more palatable. Lager type beers were all reckoned to be gnats pi55 but then we were used to the many beers brewed in local breweries.

UK brewing has gone downhill mainly because a good ale was stored in wooden barrels and hand pumped from the cellar. The pipes had to be cleaned every three days or so that the care and protection of the ales and stouts was a major concern for the landlord. The taste of beers varied from pub to pub and was an indication of the skills of the cellarman/landlord. My favourite was Bass Best Bitter - and that certainly cleaned your pipes out. Watney's Red Barrell was lumbered with being the butt of the joke same same as having it off in a punt.

Chang as the same effect with less taste i hasten to add. Edited by Chittychangchang

I agree that the popular beers in Thailand are not worth arguing about GH, but what are these other Asian brews that we are being denied??