Does Immigration Come Round And Check Status Of Marriage

I've been married for little over a year and have the 1yr multiple entry non immigrant "O" visa, expiring soon.

I'm looking at doing the 1 year extension with 400K in my bank and marriage papers, a friend of mine says when you go to immigration office they ask for your address and a map of where you live, (sounds like they want to send someone round), can anyone confirm if immigration have been round to check on their marriage after applying for an extension?

Thanks in advance

There's been post's in this forum that have said immigration officials have visited new applicants and also

spoke to neighbours to confirm legitimate marriages.

I would say it's down to the officials discretion and manpower at the office your applying at.

Immigration has been know to pay a visit or they contact the local police and have them do it.

That is one of the reasons for the 30 day waiting period after applying for extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

Only time is usually right after you apply for the first extension based on marriage. Immigration police come out to the house and go through rooms, open closet doors to make sure your actually living together, talk to neighbhors, and get someone that knows you, where you live, to sign an affidavit that they know you, and you live together.

After that, never saw them again. Guess it was the underware, after being washed, hanging together on the rack outside that convinced them. Nothing to worrty about. They were very polite and nice in my case. Wife was at work when they came.

Edited by Lifer

No one, who is genuinely married, needs to worry about home visits by Immigration to check if they are married, because they don't have nothing to hide.

I only wish that immigration steps up these checks to get rid of those who abuse this system and only got married because of a visa. But that is just my personal opinion. :wai:

Edited by MJCM

Only time is usually right after you apply for the first extension based on marriage. Immigration police come out to the house and go through rooms, open closet doors to make sure your actually living together, talk to neighbhors, and get someone that knows you, where you live, to sign an affidavit that they know you, and you live together.

After that, never saw them again. Guess it was the underware, after being washed, hanging together on the rack outside that convinced them. Nothing to worrty about. They were very polite and nice in my case. Wife was at work when they came.

Never ever got this "screening" during six years.................. ohmy.png

For my first extension based on marriage the local cops came to my condo, but only talked to the security guards, since then no visits or anything, and they have never been in my condos, but they have enough pictures (when I apply).

I have only filed my first extension earlier this year in Udon but they never visited the house. However, the same week on another forum, another Udon first-timer reported that he was visited by Immigration a couple of days after filing so like most things Thai, it can be a lottery.

I have only filed my first extension earlier this year in Udon but they never visited the house. However, the same week on another forum, another Udon first-timer reported that he was visited by Immigration a couple of days after filing so like most things Thai, it can be a lottery.

wink.png

I did my first extension based on marriage back in January. My local immigration office is Lop Buri. We got a visit from them a few days after putting the application in. The officer came unannounced. He said it was on his way home and had tried the day before.

Even though I had submitted photos as requested he took some.more himself. Wanted to look around the house and he spoke to our neighbour. It was all very pleasant.

I'm a little concerened for next time though. I have since taken a job near Bangkok and stay in an apartment while my wife and daughter stay at home. We take turns in visiting each other ever couple of weeks or so. Not sure how this is going to affect my extension application.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Thaivisa Connect App

I extended in Bangkok too, and yes they paid a visit. I wasn't home when they came, but my wife was. Strangely enough, in the few months that I had been living here, I rarely ever see any neighbors (it's an apartment building). This means that most likely none of the neighbors would have vouched for me if asked. I further complicated matters because I use a large suitcase as my primary clothing storage facility, which sort of gives the impression that I just dropped off a bag for appearances. The only other telltale signs of my living there would have been a prescription pill bottle with my name on it in the kitchen (which I'm not sure if they would even have noticed), and a dozen or so IT-related books that I brought with me from the states.

According to wifey, they weren't very detail-oriented. She gave them the 5 baht tour of the apartment along with "that's where we sleep, those are his slippers, that right there is his suitcase, these are his books, here's a picture of us pinned on the fridge, these are some awful cookies he brought from America... would you like to try some?", and five minutes later they were gone. So the visit was cursory at best.

Apparently it was sufficient because I got my extension.

It certainly seems to be something of a lottery, we were visited once (on our second extension).

To our OP, there are a number of threads detailing the documentary requirements for a marriage extension (your wife forms part of the documentation so take her to immigration with you).

Immigration has been know to pay a visit or they contact the local police and have them do it.

That is one of the reasons for the 30 day waiting period after applying for extension.

I thought the waiting period is because all extension based on marriage are issued from BKK.

I never heard that they come to the house in Phuket but it is always possible.

If they come it is normally only for the first time extension.

I live 23 years in Phuket and never saw any officer but as said by others they are more then welcome to confirm our status.