Styrofoam Cool Boxes / Picnic Boxes

brotherother

I saw some of these (I think) Styrofoam picnic boxes the other day in Big C, not expensive, around B200 and quite large. They claim to keep food and drink cool for either 24 or maybe even 36 hours.

Was just wondering if anyone has any experience using them and how do they compare to the typical plastic ice / cool box?

Presumable you just fill them with ice, right?

If the stuff is cold when it goes in, it will stay cold for a short while. Bang in a load of ice, they stay cold for ages. I use frozen bottles of water; less mess that way. They work a treat. by the way, in the local shops you can get them for 60-70baht.

Perhaps you should refrigerate them first, the ice will last longer if the styrofoam is cooled.

Nice thought but the ones I saw were far too big for a fridge, unless you took all the shelves out. Suppose you could stick them in a chest freezer. I like Pseudolus's idea regarding freezing bottles of water though.

I think a lot of the plastic cool boxes are filled with Styrofoam anyway. It just lasts longer if it's protected inside plastic. If you're careful the Styrofoam ones are cheaper and you can always buy another if it gets damaged.

I was thinking of using frozen bottles as well as can't find any of those freezer blocks like I had back in the UK.

Where are you from that you have never seen a styrofoam cooler ? They work just fine but break pretty easy , most people use them because they are cheap and then throw them away. Most of the time it's the lid that gets broken.

On a side note after the beer is all gone they will start the campfire like nobodys bisness !

Edited by MrRealDeal

I actually bought an esky for 500 baht. They work a lot beter then the styrofoam picnic boxes and a more hardy. I take it to the supermarket to carry my cold and frozen goods home. I always have ice in it when we leave home. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esky

How far away are you from the store ?

About 12 km but after shopping there is no guarantee we go straight home.

Edited by ripstanley

I see , interesting ... never thought of doing it that way. I still want to know where this guy is from and why he has never seen a cooler like that ! ..... not to poke to much fun but the question of presumable putting ice in it really took me back a little !

As far as what to put in it on a serious note , they do make special blocks you freeze in your freezer that last longer than just plain water and can be reused and will last a long long time unless you freeze them to super cold tempatures and smash them on a rock. And blocks of ice last longer than cubes of ice but don't chill it as fast like ice water would. Blocks of ice are used on boats because they last so much longer. Dry ice wrapped in paper would last the longest and be the coldest and is what would be used to ship things around the world or what an icream store would get if the power was to go out for some period of time if they didn't have a generator system.

And actually since your new to these things ! They are insulation so it could be used to keep things warn just as well as cold , so instead of Ice you could put some hand warmers inside to keep your fried chicken warm if you wanted to ! They are also used to transport pet Fish because salt water fish dont like temperature flucuations so instead of heat or ice you can put fish in them as well ! Pretty much all salt water fish are shipped in those kinds of coolers inside plastic bags because it's light and saves on shipping costs....... hummmm what else ?

Edited by MrRealDeal

Where are you from that you have never seen a styrofoam cooler ? They work just fine but break pretty easy , most people use them because they are cheap and then throw them away. Most of the time it's the lid that gets broken.

On a side note after the beer is all gone they will start the campfire like nobodys bisness !

That styrofoam is pretty toxic when it burns isn't it?

Yes it is, but the amazing blaze makes up for the harm to the enviornment ! You can mix it with gasoline and make Napalm if you want more fun and damage to the enviornment !

I melted the cast iron log stand in my fireplace once burning the packaging from a computer box with it ..... it's not just toxic it burns REALLY hot.

Edited by MrRealDeal
  • Like 1

Yes it is, but the amazing blaze makes up for the harm to the enviornment ! You can mix it with gasoline and make Napalm if you want more fun and damage to the enviornment !

I melted the cast iron log stand in my fireplace once burning the packaging from a computer box with it ..... it's not just toxic it burns REALLY hot.

oh no, your statement will anger and all tv environmentalists will start to roll in

oh no, your statement will anger and all tv environmentalists will start to roll in

once they see the amazing blaze they will realise how great it is to burn it !

Arf! clap2.gif

I see , interesting ... never thought of doing it that way. I still want to know where this guy is from and why he has never seen a cooler like that ! ..... not to poke to much fun but the question of presumable putting ice in it really took me back a little !

As far as what to put in it on a serious note , they do make special blocks you freeze in your freezer that last longer than just plain water and can be reused and will last a long long time unless you freeze them to super cold tempatures and smash them on a rock. And blocks of ice last longer than cubes of ice but don't chill it as fast like ice water would. Blocks of ice are used on boats because they last so much longer. Dry ice wrapped in paper would last the longest and be the coldest and is what would be used to ship things around the world or what an icream store would get if the power was to go out for some period of time if they didn't have a generator system.

And actually since your new to these things ! They are insulation so it could be used to keep things warn just as well as cold , so instead of Ice you could put some hand warmers inside to keep your fried chicken warm if you wanted to ! They are also used to transport pet Fish because salt water fish dont like temperature flucuations so instead of heat or ice you can put fish in them as well ! Pretty much all salt water fish are shipped in those kinds of coolers inside plastic bags because it's light and saves on shipping costs....... hummmm what else ?

I have seen small fist size "blocks" of this stuff at "Villa", about 150 baht.

Having a very large fridge/freezer with lots of stuff i leave for a few weeks at a time, (big elec bill plus maybe power loss), I have experimented using polystyrene boxes with ice (frozen inside bottles) inside a biggish Esky,,only lasts about 3 days. So anyone know where to get larger blocks of this super freeze stuff..Thank You