Android Line App

Tywais

My wife just asked me if I had the Android Line app. As I had never heard of it I took a look then loaded it unto her Android phone. It appears to be an app like Skype that allows you to make calls and send messages for free. Anyone use it and how well does it work? Seems surprisingly popular with 49 million users in 230 countries. Guess I will have to put it on my phone as she said she then can call and message me for free. Considering I pay for her top ups I guess she is doing me a favor. biggrin.png

Quite a few in use now, Tango for video calls, Viber, Line, ChatOn and Whatsapp for sms and file sending.

She showed me she had Whatsapp on her phone but not sure if she has used it yet. Thanks for those other apps.

I use both Line and Whatsapp. I hardly use sms at all now.

Some of my friends have both, some only one or the other. Some friends have neither and I still need to use sms (which costs me money!)

I prefer to use Whatsapp, but if a friend starts a conversation in Line, I'll continue it there.

The stickers that you can use in Line can be a bit of fun if you want to express your feelings about something.

The only problem with the data messaging apps over sms, is that you can't always be sure peoples data is working or on. Some people turn their mobile data off when they're not using it, or they only use wifi, so if it's important I might sms because you can be pretty sure that if their phone is on, they'll get the message.

I use both Line and Whatsapp. I hardly use sms at all now.

Some of my friends have both, some only one or the other. Some friends have neither and I still need to use sms (which costs me money!)

I prefer to use Whatsapp, but if a friend starts a conversation in Line, I'll continue it there.

The stickers that you can use in Line can be a bit of fun if you want to express your feelings about something.

The only problem with the data messaging apps over sms, is that you can't always be sure peoples data is working or on. Some people turn their mobile data off when they're not using it, or they only use wifi, so if it's important I might sms because you can be pretty sure that if their phone is on, they'll get the message.

but both Line and WhatsApp show you when your message is uploaded and when downloaded by the recipient... the two ticks in WhatsApp and i forget what Line uses as don't use it much.

It's like a more childish version of whatsapp. The gf and I used it for a bit, but I asked her to talk to me on whatsapp.

Childish is probably not the best descriptor? The need/desire to stay in touch and communicate ideas, feelings, emotions and other complex details and information instantaneously seems basic. The evolution from proper language usage to slang (Where RU?) to emoticons, originally used for both speed and to overcome any inherent limitations, is probably accelerated in countries/cultures where expressing information in written text can be cumbersome. And since younger people tend to drive evolution and usage in this space it is not surprising that these graphical IM apps are so popular here, and in Japan, Korea, China. Emoji has been around for a while in Japan, and KakaoTalk. a Line-like app, does 1.3 billion messages per day in Korea.

https://play.google....akao.talk&hl=en

Service providers are challenged because they are losing relatively high margin revenue on SMS traffic as it shifts to lower margin data revenue traffic. I suspect the last SMS sent may be a bit like the last telegram sent, but coming a bit sooner than 122 years!

OK, juvenile then.

A few things annoyed me about it, mainly that the keyboard that popped up didn't do the automatic things that I'm used to, but also that I kept receiving little stickers and pictures that were getting on my nerves. The best thing about it is the camera.

On reflection, childish definitely reflects how I feel about it.

• Like 1

I find Viber and Whatsapp covers my needs..... for now. I was quite surprised at how many people I knew and in my phonebook aready had these two apps installed. All those people wasting their time searching, downloading, installing and using these apps instead of working!

While somewhat of an issue, which RIM/BB was able to address with always on data, it is certainly becoming less of an issue with each passing day as people realize they need a constant ubiquitous WAN connection (mobile data - 2G is OK), when out of WiFi coverage, for these messaging apps. I think the days of turning off mobile data may be at an end?

FWIW, SMS is not a guaranteed service in any sense of the word, or by specification or in practice. I know many people with TrueMove H who have quite poor inter-provider SMS delivery/reception percentages, like well below 50%, while they get 100% with WhatsApp!

I think the days of turning off mobile data may be at an end?

Not as long as mobile data still cost money and can easy run-up your monthly smartphone bill, where smartphone usage on your home Wifi don't add any cost to your monthly internet plan bill.

Not as long as mobile data still cost money and can easy run-up your monthly smartphone bill, where smartphone usage on your home Wifi don't add any cost to your monthly internet plan bill.

I would submit that you are probably a bit behind the curve here - most people get volume-based plans which while speed limited upon reaching fair-use limits, offer uncapped usage. FWIW, these IM apps work fine at capped speeds like 128 Kbps or 384 Kbps.

Again, and I am speaking about the vast majority of smartphone users, the need for an always on connection is practically assumed. Is everyone there yet? Well it appears not. ;)

Mobility and connectivity are inseparable, just using a smartphone at home with your WiFi connection is absurd, as is toggling mobile data on and off. I suspect the trend, like my observation, may be lost on you based on your comment? That's OK by the way.

I would submit that you are probably a bit behind the curve here - most people get volume-based plans which while speed limited upon reaching fair-use limits, offer uncapped usage. FWIW, these IM apps work fine at capped speeds like 128 Kbps or 384 Kbps.

Again, and I am speaking about the vast majority of smartphone users, the need for an always on connection is practically assumed. Is everyone there yet? Well it appears not. wink.png

Mobility and connectivity are inseparable, just using a smartphone at home with your WiFi connection is absurd, as is toggling mobile data on and off. I suspect the trend, like my observation, may be lost on you based on your comment? That's OK by the way.

with a 75mb plan, and only using chat, i used IMO with avatars off for 3 weeks before hitting the limit.

Having/using a mobile data plan is fine for many folks (especially for folks in many businesses/sales jobs) and I'm probably going to add one at some point for home internet backup and occasional use once I figure out how much I would probably use it per month...I'll probably get a volume plan of a few hundred MBs...but I really don't need one of those plans such as full speed 3G up to 1/2/3/5GB and then it tapers off to some much lower speed after you use up your fair usage amount.

But for folks who don't need to read or respond to every email/SMS a few seconds after its transmitted, be able to chat with someone using WhatApps/Viber/etc at any minute during the day, surf the internet while they are riding in a vehicle/public transit, just killing time etc., having a mobile data plan is really just a nice-to-have thing for many folks. I've got a lot of Thai relatives, and very few have data plans as they are just into the basic calling and sending a few SMSs per month....well the younger ones send a couple dozen SMSs per month but they still don't have a data plan. One such relative, a girl in her mid twenties, was showing me her new Samsung tablet just this weekend...she is so proud of it. I asked her does she have a 3G/data plan...she said no, she only plans to use it on her home and her school Wifi for internet usage.

IMHO, to a large extent mobile data plan usage is a generational thing...generally many older folks are probably less likely to extensively use a mobile data plan compared to many younger folks. And in Thailand, so, so many of the phones still being used by Thai's are non-smartphones...just plain ol' 2G phones used to call/SMS based on my observations.

I very rarely use 1gb a month on my phone which through dtac I get 1gb at 3g falling off to the slower rate after. I do use 2 email accounts, whatsapp, Thaivisa and many text based apps. I usually save graphic based browsing for home/office on desktop, laptop or tablet. That said there are days when I'm on the road and sharing my 1gb with my tablet including Skype but still not going over the limit.

Like a lot of people, I'm not downloading music or video over 3g and when I look on the sky train its hard to see who hasn't got a smartphone and isn't online! I phones and SG2s be everywhere!

Sent from Android, please excuse errors in type or judgement.

Assumptions about "everyone" (or maybe even most folks) are never correct.

Is that statement of an implied assumption "correct"? ;)

Seriously, I think I understand your point but we are discussing a relatively small subset here: smartphone users, and in this specific case, those that are using alternative IM apps. I suspect this does not include you, or your relatives.

It's like a more childish version of whatsapp. The gf and I used it for a bit, but I asked her to talk to me on whatsapp.

Childish is probably not the best descriptor? The need/desire to stay in touch and communicate ideas, feelings, emotions and other complex details and information instantaneously seems basic. The evolution from proper language usage to slang (Where RU?) to emoticons, originally used for both speed and to overcome any inherent limitations, is probably accelerated in countries/cultures where expressing information in written text can be cumbersome. And since younger people tend to drive evolution and usage in this space it is not surprising that these graphical IM apps are so popular here, and in Japan, Korea, China. Emoji has been around for a while in Japan, and KakaoTalk. a Line-like app, does 1.3 billion messages per day in Korea.

Service providers are challenged because they are losing relatively high margin revenue on SMS traffic as it shifts to lower margin data revenue traffic. I suspect the last SMS sent may be a bit like the last telegram sent, but coming a bit sooner than 122 years!

The telelgram service is still used daily, For some reason certain people find it more personal than an email.

The telelgram service is still used daily, For some reason certain people find it more personal than an email.

I guess I should have said Western Union stopped sending telegrams in 2006, I'll take your word for it that others are still sending telegrams.

• 1 year later...

Someone may be able to help.

My wife has LINE on her phone and I downloaded the PC version and can use her LINE on my PC. But I would like to have my own LINE account and use it on my PC ... BUT I don't have an android phone so as far as I can see I can't register. I do have a none android phone. Any ideas how I can register an account please ... thanks

I guess I should have said Western Union stopped sending telegrams in 2006, I'll take your word for it that others are still sending telegrams.

http://users.iconz.co.nz/rwincer/gysazld.wav biggrin.png

My wife has LINE on her phone and I downloaded the PC version and can use her LINE on my PC. But I would like to have my own LINE account and use it on my PC ... BUT I don't have an android phone so as far as I can see I can't register. I do have a none android phone. Any ideas how I can register an account please ... thanks

see this url, they list LINE for PC on the sidebar menu

http://line.naver.jp/en/

Edited by Langsuan Man

see this url, they list LINE for PC on the sidebar menu

http://line.naver.jp/en/

Thanks ... but as far as I can understand you have to register a LINE account to an android account first, and only one account per phone. Putting a different sim into a phone deletes the previous LINE account, so if I did that on my wifes phone I would be in deep cak.

I already have LINE for PC but not my own account.

JAS next time your at our place getting your neck dislocated use my phone to register, I'll never use Line smile.png

Now why didn't I think of that ... thanks ... see you Wed week if not before ... neck is still stiffish from Sunday!! Then if I'm upstairs and madam is somewhere downstairs ... I'll be able to order a coffee without shouting smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by JAS21

but as far as I can understand you have to register a LINE account to an android account first, and only one account per phone.

<or iPhone, or Winphone.>

You appear to have identified your primary challenge.

Yes, you need a smart-ish phone capable of receiving an SMS to download/install/register many of these chat programs. Once registered it looks like you can use the app/your account for the PC app.

I think you could use your wife's account to install the program on a PC but that might present challenges if you plan to chat with people your wife might find objectionable.