Thank You Mods

RAZZELL

well, firstly i do not at all agree with the notion of you as a self-appointed arbiter of the acceptable. So in that sense i am happy that the moderators are in a position to ignore you as they see fit.

secondly, i would rather see those examples of racism, misogyny and right out in the open rather than deleted. they allow myself and other users to clearly understand who we are dealing with.

such posters should be clearly identified.

i suspect however if racism and misogyny were truly taboo here there would be very little movement in the general forum.

Well thank you for your good grace Nocturn - But here's a think, I did not ask for it.

Here's another thing - I am not a self appointed arbiter - The Moderator is the Arbiter.

You, me, anyone who chooses can report content THAT THEY PERSONALLY FIND OFFENSIVE OR IN BREACH OF THE FORUM RULES

It is the Moderator who decides.

There is nothing in the rules that say you or anyone else has to apply my sensibilities in using the report function, there is nothing that says you must use the report function.

With respect to leaving offensive content posted to be debated. Why do you need to offensive content to be left on the page before you can debate racism, misogyny, the intrusion into someone's personal life or illegal activity?

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sense that those who extol the attributes of free speech, without exception, will jump like a cordon of demented slip fielders when they hear the nick of the willow, but there is no catch here, just the folly of free speech for all and the chaos that would ensue.

Please excuse this small diversion ... Mossfinn, with waxy lyrical like that, where were you in the Cricketing Thread?

It ended up being full of salty coffee drinkers and Cheer Squad selection.

Leading the Cheer ... opps, that was me goof.gif

So to the Mods, thanks for the light touch in that Cricketing thread, we appreciated the work of the 3rd Umpire there and the Mod's strong knees (they know what we mean).

We love the Umpire's knees

Top Knees!

SC

TV Cricket

The team with two knees

The problem with no moderation is that it allows any kind of free speech, hurrah shouts all and sundry, but the troll infested waters of general for example would create a nonsensical manuscript of constant upheaval, drivel, blasphemy, alcohol ( Heaven Forbid ) driven abuse that would have no constructive, beneficial, or positive vibe about it. Those that contribute honestly and positively would soon leave and it would be left to those that contribute worthless trash and the banned members with bile in their stomach firing vitriol at any spectator, innocent or otherwise.

I sense that those who extol the attributes of free speech, without exception, will jump like a cordon of demented slip fielders when they hear the nick of the willow, but there is no catch here, just the folly of free speech for all and the chaos that would ensue.

Like hands in the ruck, there are rules to follow, no moderation the forum would die on its feet, if you are honest, do you really expect that or want it?

And besides, if the moderators did not moderate the forum, then the police would. Which could well be worse than being banned

• Like 1

The problem with no moderation is that it allows any kind of free speech, hurrah shouts all and sundry, but the troll infested waters of general for example would create a nonsensical manuscript of constant upheaval, drivel, blasphemy, alcohol ( Heaven Forbid ) driven abuse that would have no constructive, beneficial, or positive vibe about it. Those that contribute honestly and positively would soon leave and it would be left to those that contribute worthless trash and the banned members with bile in their stomach firing vitriol at any spectator, innocent or otherwise.

Like hands in the ruck, there are rules to follow, no moderation the forum would die on its feet, if you are honest, do you really expect that or want it?

"will jump like a cordon of demented slip fielders when they hear the nick of the willow," Quote of the day; love it. May I use it??

"will jump like a cordon of demented slip fielders when they hear the nick of the willow," Quote of the day; love it. May I use it??

Agree - love the sporting metaphors thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

Some time ago someone who thought that moderation on Thaivisa was overstrict started a non-moderated forum 'just for fun' Within 48 hours he shut it down

Was that "The Last Forum"?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes it was, an invite only club where everyone invited was a Mod and as such no moderation was allowed, run by Austhaid, good ideas and Omaha beach spring to mind, and justifiably, I wasn't invited, I tried to join as Biddy Mulligan, but no one would second me!! I wonder why

In the words of Whistler to the Great Joyce

Oscar Wilde: "I wish I had said that." Whistler: "You will, Oscar; you will.

No worries Can, I have many sporting analogies, none of which are my own.

Well thank you for your good grace Nocturn - But here's a think, I did not ask for it.

Here's another thing - I am not a self appointed arbiter - The Moderator is the Arbiter.

You, me, anyone who chooses can report content THAT THEY PERSONALLY FIND OFFENSIVE OR IN BREACH OF THE FORUM RULES

It is the Moderator who decides.

There is nothing in the rules that say you or anyone else has to apply my sensibilities in using the report function, there is nothing that says you must use the report function.

With respect to leaving offensive content posted to be debated. Why do you need to offensive content to be left on the page before you can debate racism, misogyny, the intrusion into someone's personal life or illegal activity?

guesthouse,

i come from a place, be it on the internet, or in real life, where the report button is simply not an option.

that said, i truly believe in karma, comeuppance, irony or whatever.

my intervention is unnecessary. these things just tend to work themselves out.

if it were up to what i find offensive, the forum would have ceased to be long ago.

i revel in the variety, and when some cross the line, i appreciate when i can see them for who they are.

so, you keep hitting report, and, while i understand it wont necessarily work here, i will hope to keep on in a world unsanitized by your mores.

• 2 weeks later...

One aspect of moderation which I find works extremely well and which I frequently use is the REPORT function. We too often see totally unacceptable posts from people, racism, misogynism or other forms of unacceptable content.

When I've seen something I find totally unacceptable I've hit the REPORT button, given a brief note on why I want to report the post, and its almost always gone within moments, or the particularly offensive content is edited out. I think this is a great way to moderate as obviously the more eyes on these issues the better, and it also avoids members who find something offensive, reposting it in a response, which only further propagates the spread of the offensive content.

So for me the best moderation is members reporting the really offensive stuff as and when they find it.

I come from a country where reporting the class enemy was everybody's duty until 1989.

It is disgusting that we see this mindset pop up again. But I acknowledge your freedom to have that mindset.

I hope the mods here will continue to exercise some liberal tradition to free speech and free thinking.

Agree with GreenSnapper! Such a mindset is truly disgusting but all too common now.

In the vast majority of cases, when you hear the accusations of "racism, misogynism or other forms of unacceptable content" it is simply that the whiner does not like the opinion that he or she is reading. The accusations of "racism, misogynism or other forms of unacceptable content" are nothing more than convienient hammers to silence the views that the accuser does not agree with.

This way they can say "I support free speech but not "hate speech". Of course, the "hate speech" simply ends up being speech the accuser does not agree with.

The farming forum has the most decent set of like minded individuals on TV.

Unfortunately the rest of the site is full snide comments, back stabbing rubbish that I have no time for, and rarely post in.

I wish the moderating team were harder, and got rid of the trolls and keyboard warriors, which would make the place a lot more friendly and probably attract a better class of poster.

Unfortunately the rest of the site is full snide comments, back stabbing rubbish that I have no time for, and rarely post in.

I wish the moderating team were harder, and got rid of the trolls and keyboard warriors, which would make the place a lot more friendly and probably attract a better class of poster.

Quite right. If we all thought the same, the world would be all the better for it. Perhaps we could have an Opioniminator questionnaire, when people enrolled, to make sure we would fit into the required groupthink.

And an automatic sarcasm-filter, to weed out all th

• Like 2

Sorry that l worked all my life with my hands and am not from a better class. sad.png

One aspect of moderation which I find works extremely well and which I frequently use is the REPORT function. We too often see totally unacceptable posts from people, racism, misogynism or other forms of unacceptable content.

When I've seen something I find totally unacceptable I've hit the REPORT button, given a brief note on why I want to report the post, and its almost always gone within moments, or the particularly offensive content is edited out. I think this is a great way to moderate as obviously the more eyes on these issues the better, and it also avoids members who find something offensive, reposting it in a response, which only further propagates the spread of the offensive content.

So for me the best moderation is members reporting the really offensive stuff as and when they find it.

I come from a country where reporting the class enemy was everybody's duty until 1989.

It is disgusting that we see this mindset pop up again. But I acknowledge your freedom to have that mindset.

I hope the mods here will continue to exercise some liberal tradition to free speech and free thinking.

Agree with GreenSnapper! Such a mindset is truly disgusting but all too common now.

In the vast majority of cases, when you hear the accusations of "racism, misogynism or other forms of unacceptable content" it is simply that the whiner does not like the opinion that he or she is reading. The accusations of "racism, misogynism or other forms of unacceptable content" are nothing more than convienient hammers to silence the views that the accuser does not agree with.

This way they can say "I support free speech but not "hate speech". Of course, the "hate speech" simply ends up being speech the accuser does not agree with.

I sometimes report material either

a) for clear breach of forum rules applied to protect the forum (lese majeste, defamation, etc)

B) editorial reasons e.g. digressions into nigger-word debates

To be honest, I am not so worried about bigots expressing their opinions, as about "right-minded" individuals responding in such incensed terms that it makes us reasonable and sensible people look like nazis. People are entitled to hate - we can't stop that, but we can try and prevent them stirring up hatred amongst the apathetic

SC

Some time ago someone who thought that moderation on Thaivisa was overstrict started a non-moderated forum 'just for fun' Within 48 hours he shut it down

Was that "The Last Forum"?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes it was, an invite only club where everyone invited was a Mod and as such no moderation was allowed, run by Austhaid, good ideas and Omaha beach spring to mind, and justifiably, I wasn't invited, I tried to join as Biddy Mulligan, but no one would second me!! I wonder why

I was a member there, but I don't remember being a mod.

No one has ever thought me suitable for such high honour in any forum! whistling.gif