Foreigners Working In Thailand How Much They Earn?

falkan

How much do you earn a month  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for an MNC of around 700 odd staff, the vast majority of whom are local hires. I've been surprised how many of the local employees are making salaries that would make many teachers here blush.

Starting at our place for a fresh grad would be 25-30k heading to 60s a few yrs later if any good. We have a decent group of locals with around 10yrs experience that have progressed up the ranks at around 150-200k and those that have held in for the long term are up in the 350-400k range.

We do have our share of data processing type employees that are in the 10-20k range but any 'knowledge workers' get a fairly reasonable whack as per above.

Expats are not too far out of line with no specific perks above and beyond locals as we're all on local contracts. Personally I moved from Hong Kong and no change was made to my gross salary but of course I have been hit hard by tax at 15% vs 30%+

For those of you dreaming what a 140k per month apartment looks like, simply take a look on the real estate sites and you'll have an idea. Generally it means around 200 sqM in a high end condo located in a premium down town area (Chidlom/Sathorn/Phom Phrong)

(salary figures above are gross and exclude perks/bonus)

For those of you dreaming what a 140k per month apartment looks like, simply take a look on the real estate sites and you'll have an idea.

Great, thanks!

I've been dreaming of that for quite a while now, but could never think of a way to fulfill it.

Real estate sites, eh, such a simple solution.

I suspect a few people are quoting their gross remuneration, while the OP requested the amount after deduction of tax and excluding housing, school fees, car (if provided) etc.

He didn't respond regarding the on-shore and off-shore elements.

SC

Here is a problem that a number of people overlook when they negotiate their salary. They are happy that their "official" salary is so small so they can evade a lot of tax but when they go to the bank to negotiate a loan to buy their flat, they realize banks have more and more strict regulation and with such a low salary they can't qualify for a loan. Which in some way plays in the employer hand because they want to keep their expats mobile and they don't like when employees start making such long term commitment

This is true, but in these siutations typically the demographic involved in offshore/onshore salaries can afford to buy their flats cash, or negotiate with a developer or owner to pay the place off over a few large payments, so dont really have a need for a loan and have scored on both fronts, in that they have a reduced tax burden and not getting stung paying interest on a loan

Edited by Soutpeel

Also, there was a discussion earlier in this forum on the meaning of the word "expat". For me, it is related to the terms of your contract, are you hired on "local" terms or on "expats" terms.

On local terms, the company check what is the average local salary for the position they want to fill, and that's what they are going to offer, usually without much extra advantages. On "expat" terms, the salary is often based on the salary for similar position at head quarter PLUS advantages linked to expatriation : housing, relocation program, education for the kids, annual air ticket to go home .... plus everything that previous colleagues were able to negotiate. And that can make a huge difference with people on expats terms being paid 2, 3, 5 ...times more than their colleagues hired on local terms.

The times I've been working here 'local' hire the only difference between me and the 'expats' of the company have been airfares and paid leave. The companies provided salary at the same level as their expats, accomodation, car and medical, except for 1 which didn't provide accomodation.

Edit: this reminds me of the thread about average Thai salaries where most posters had no idea what a Thai can really earn here. Not all working expats here are teachers, same as not all Thais are farmers.

But some working expats are farmers strangely enough. Go figure :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

For those of you dreaming what a 140k per month apartment looks like, simply take a look on the real estate sites and you'll have an idea.

Great, thanks!

I've been dreaming of that for quite a while now, but could never think of a way to fulfill it.

Real estate sites, eh, such a simple solution.

Nice sarcasm. Yep it is obvious but post #47 seemed to be interested. Thanks for such a constructive post on your part though - awesome contribution!

• Like 1

Also, there was a discussion earlier in this forum on the meaning of the word "expat". For me, it is related to the terms of your contract, are you hired on "local" terms or on "expats" terms.

On local terms, the company check what is the average local salary for the position they want to fill, and that's what they are going to offer, usually without much extra advantages. On "expat" terms, the salary is often based on the salary for similar position at head quarter PLUS advantages linked to expatriation : housing, relocation program, education for the kids, annual air ticket to go home .... plus everything that previous colleagues were able to negotiate. And that can make a huge difference with people on expats terms being paid 2, 3, 5 ...times more than their colleagues hired on local terms.

The times I've been working here 'local' hire the only difference between me and the 'expats' of the company have been airfares and paid leave. The companies provided salary at the same level as their expats, accomodation, car and medical, except for 1 which didn't provide accomodation.

Edit: this reminds me of the thread about average Thai salaries where most posters had no idea what a Thai can really earn here. Not all working expats here are teachers, same as not all Thais are farmers.

But some working expats are farmers strangely enough. Go figure biggrin.png

They're the ones earning less than 20,000~30,000 a month so haven't voted.

I suspect a few people are quoting their gross remuneration, while the OP requested the amount after deduction of tax and excluding housing, school fees, car (if provided) etc.

SC

Here is a problem that a number of people overlook when they negotiate their salary. They are happy that their "official" salary is so small so they can evade a lot of tax but when they go to the bank to negotiate a loan to buy their flat, they realize banks have more and more strict regulation and with such a low salary they can't qualify for a loan. Which in some way plays in the employer hand because they want to keep their expats mobile and they don't like when employees start making such long term commitment

This is true, but in these siutations typically the demographic involved in offshore/onshore salaries can afford to buy their flats cash, or negotiate with a developer or owner to pay the place off over a few large payments, so dont really have a need for a loan and have scored on both fronts, in that they have a reduced tax burden and not getting stung paying interest on a loan

At 2% interest rate it doesn't make sense to pay cash. With the same amount, instead of 1, you buy 3 flats, you rent two and that's enough to cover your mortgage on the 3 flats. And despite what some people say, in Hong Kong at least the market is still going up at a nice 5-10% years according the last offers I got from real estate agents.

Let say you have 10M. Instead of buying cash a 10M flat, you buy 3 with a 70% mortgage. If the market gains 10%, at the end of the year you get 3M instead of 1M (a return of 30% instead of 10% !) if you buy cash. And on top of that with the income of the rental you pay the mortgage on your own flat. So what the point to buy cash ? That's always been the advise of my dad, borrow money as soon as you can, even if you don't really need it. You built history and confidence with the bank so when you really need a large amount they will lend you much more easily than if you have no payment history to show them how serious you are.

Edited by JurgenG

SC

At 2% interest rate it doesn't make sense to pay cash. With the same amount, instead of 1, you buy 3 flats, you rent two and that's enough to cover your mortgage on the 3 flats. And despite what some people say, in Hong Kong at least the market is still going up at a nice 5-10% years according the last offers I got from real estate agents.

Let say you have 10M. Instead of buying cash a 10M flat, you buy 3 with a 70% mortgage. If the market gains 10%, at the end of the year you get 3M instead of 1M (a return of 30% instead of 10% !) if you buy cash. And on top of that with the income of the rental you pay the mortgage on your own flat. So what the point to buy cash ? That's always been the advise of my dad, borrow money as soon as you can, even if you don't really need it. You built history and confidence with the bank so when you really need a large amount they will lend you much more easily than if you have no payment history to show them how serious you are.

And as the people in Hong Kong found out in 1998/9, if the market goes down, you have three empty flats, and you still owe the bank five million after they're repossessed.

SC

• Like 1

SC

2% ?.....I thought the MLR in Thailand ranged between 5-7% , also as regards building history and confidence with a Thai bank, its virtually impossible for a foreigner to get a mortgage in their own name from a Thai bank and typically the mortgage has to be in a Thai nationals name and the foreigner co-signs the loan, so the credit history you are building is the Thai nationals not the foreigners.

Before someone bails in says they got a mortgage with a Thai bank, sure its a proper mortgage and not a personal loan, criteria applied are different and with a personal loan you will be paying a higher interest rate, so not quite the same thing, the effect is the same..you are buying a property on the hock, but not strictly a proper mortgage.

And as the people in Hong Kong found out in 1998/9, if the market goes down, you have three empty flats, and you still owe the bank five million after they're repossessed.

SC

Things have changed a lot since that time. The market in Hong Kong is now very regulated to avoid bubbles and the burst that followed. Bank have now very strict guidelines for lending, hence my remark about artificially low salaries. And the land supply is controlled by the government. The good time when you could buy a flat and sell it within a couple of weeks and making a couple of millions profit is now over but if you invest for the medium term (2 to 5 years) IMO HK property market is still a very good place where to invest.

Edited by JurgenG

2% ?.....I thought the MLR in Thailand ranged between 5-7% , also as regards building history and confidence with a Thai bank, its virtually impossible for a foreigner to get a mortgage in their own name from a Thai bank and typically the mortgage has to be in a Thai nationals name and the foreigner co-signs the loan, so the credit history you are building is the Thai nationals not the foreigners.

Before someone bails in says they got a mortgage with a Thai bank, sure its a proper mortgage and not a personal loan, criteria applied are different and with a personal loan you will be paying a higher interest rate, so not quite the same thing, the effect is the same..you are buying a property on the hock, but not strictly a proper mortgage.

Sorry, my mistake. Thailand is very nice place where to live but until dramatic changes in a lot of sectors have been implemented, I will never invest here. I was talking about Hong Kong. The law is good, the financial system is sound, I would never invest my retirement money anywhere else

Starting at our place for a fresh grad would be 25-30k heading to 60s a few yrs later if any good. We have a decent group of locals with around 10yrs experience that have progressed up the ranks at around 150-200k and those that have held in for the long term are up in the 350-400k range.

I'm amazed at these numbers, 400k per month is USD$155k p.a. - that's more than I earn in Sydney and I'm white collar and doing well. What's the job description of these people?

I'm amazed at these numbers, 400k per month is USD$155k p.a. - that's more than I earn in Sydney and I'm white collar and doing well. What's the job description of these people?

I am a Consultant.

'Exaggerators' wink.png

• Like 2

I see 500 000 baht a month continues to lead the pack whistling.gif

Yes I didnt realise English teachers earned so much in Thailand...whistling.gif

Possible that the TEFL'ers responding here may be padding their stated income with that what they lift out of the purses of their sleeping chrome pole molester girlfriends just before they head out the door for the BTS.

• Like 1

I see 500 000 baht a month continues to lead the pack whistling.gif

Yes I didnt realise English teachers earned so much in Thailand...whistling.gif

Possible that the TEFL'ers responding here may be padding their stated income with that what they lift out of the purses of their sleeping chrome pole molester girlfriends just before they head out the door for the BTS.

Ooohhhhhhh. Nice ......not.

I am a Consultant.

O&G

I've got no doubt people earning that are telling the truth. Maybe it includes packaged items, but so what.

The amusing thing is that people think there aren't Thai's who earn pretty reasonable dosh. There are plenty.

• Like 1

More than I need but less than I want smile.png

\

+1

And what about those under 20,000 And do you really think the 500,000+ a month are telling the truth ? that would be in the top 1% where I came from

A possibly this is the point you miss, in the example of the O&G industry the salaries or rates for expats worldwide are pretty uniform, so if someone in the US for example in specific job is earning US$150k, that specific job would attract the same/similar pay at other locations in the world and in fact if considered a "hardship" position based salarys would be even higher at those location...eg Nigeria/Angola to use an O&G example.

I have trouble understanding why someone working in Thailand would accept a rate of pay less than what they would expect to earn in their own country for the same job just because its Thailand, unless of course someone is that desperate to stay here and are taking anything

I work here and am paid what I consider fair salary based on international standards, could I get more in other "less nice" places, possibly, but if one day here they started rattling on about reducing my salary just becasue Its Thailand and lived here, I would be out the door so quick. Currently I am up approx 25% on what I would earn for a similar job in a "Western" country and for the moment I am happy enough with that.

The amusing thing is that people think there aren't Thai's who earn pretty reasonable dosh. There are plenty.

Exactly....I have 3 Thai lads working for me whose take home is THB 200k/m and a couple whose is 300+/m

I am now waiting with baited breath for the comments back which infer "how can the natives earn this sort of money, and i am living on 30k/m"

More than I need but less than I want smile.png

\

+1

And what about those under 20,000 And do you really think the 500,000+ a month are telling the truth ? that would be in the top 1% where I came from

A possibly this is the point you miss, in the example of the O&G industry the salaries or rates for expats worldwide are pretty uniform, so if someone in the US for example in specific job is earning US$150k, that specific job would attract the same/similar pay at other locations in the world and in fact if considered a "hardship" position based salarys would be even higher at those location...eg Nigeria/Angola to use an O&G example.

I have trouble understanding why someone working in Thailand would accept a rate of pay less than what they would expect to earn in their own country for the same job just because its Thailand, unless of course someone is that desperate to stay here and are taking anything

I work here and am paid what I consider fair salary based on international standards, could I get more in other "less nice" places, possibly, but if one day here they started rattling on about reducing my salary just becasue Its Thailand and lived here, I would be out the door so quick. Currently I am up approx 25% on what I would earn for a similar job in a "Western" country and for the moment I am happy enough with that.

It depends on whether your employer wants the best, or just wants bums on seats. There's plenty of older fellows who will pay to work in Thailand, but if the employer wants the best, then they have to offer the same as any other country - plus or minus a little to reflect the attractiveness of Thailand as a location, the cost of living, and remoteness. For a person at the peak of their productivity, typically that means covering school fees, Western standard of health cover, a relatively Western style of living and Western pension contributions; though of course that all may be simply bundled up into a simple gross package.

SC

I've never met such a bunch of people that are willing to put others down because they don't earn as much money as them as I have on tv.

I've met and socialised with extremely rich people and never once had they tried to belittle me because of my income. Here on tv it seems to be a sport. Either people are lying or are low class.