Poll: What Is Your Native Language?

Jingthing

English plus a bunch of other choices!  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You forgot 'Strine' JT.

strine/strīn/

Noun: The English language as spoken by Australians; the Australian accent, esp. when considered striking or uneducated.

I considered including the different English variations but as the choices are only limited to 20, I found that impractical.

You forgot 'Strine' JT.

strine/strīn/

Noun: The English language as spoken by Australians; the Australian accent, esp. when considered striking or uneducated.

I considered including the different English variations but as the choices are only limited to 20, I found that impractical.

Crikey mate!

Mate, if you throw something out there.......and it comes back.........it's a boomerang.

If it doesn't..........it's a stick!

The most important thing with languages is that we can understand each other.

I find drunken sign language with the odd grunt, smile and nodding of the head the most universal of all languages.

• Like 1

You forgot 'Strine' JT.

strine/strīn/

SO whats the news today about Austrailans being racist? I've heard it from other tourists as well.

Africans, muslims, asians and Aborigines are all looked down upon, is this true?

You forgot 'Strine' JT.

strine/strīn/

We speak Australian. It was not mentioned. So other was it

Edited by ripstanley

You forgot 'Strine' JT.

strine/strīn/

SO whats the news today about Austrailans being racist? I've heard it from other tourists as well.

Africans, muslims, asians and Aborigines are all looked down upon, is this true?

Well, you live there also, so you tell us. laugh.png

The Scottish speak English as do the Irish but I as an Australian speaker cannot understand what some of them are saying. This is also true for parts of England and the USA. When i was at school we had an exchange student from the USA and her accent was very hard to understand. So if you are a fluent English speaker you may not be understood by other fluent English speakers. So the language English listed in the poll should have many other countries listed beside it. Start another poll for the variations of English

Edited by ripstanley

Gidday JT, as usual, we Australians have proven to be the shy retiring types that our sun burnt land was a warm reputation for.

smokie36 ... yes beetroot is an almost uniquely favourite vegetable of ours and unlike you lot who feed pumpkin to the Cows, we have a fondness of that vegetable also.

So JT, for the next poll, a consultative process through your peers would seem to benefit the accuracy of future polls!

So JT, for the next poll, a consultative process through your peers would seem to benefit the accuracy of future polls!

Next time you do the poll.bah.gif How about that then? Look dude, no way am I going to start a thread BEFORE I do a poll to ask about the poll. Nor should anyone else. I also don't think the moderators here would appreciate TWO threads on the same topic! A poll for entertainment purposes on an internet forum isn't a committee operation; its done by one creator. It is what it is. Take it or leave it. There are only TWENTY choices and no matter what choices I left in or out there would be whingers aplenty. Guaranteed. 100 percent. There are THOUSANDS of languages in the world. Deal with it.

BTW, Australian English is NOT a separate language. American English is NOT a separate language. Etc.

Australians who voted OTHER should delete their votes (easy to do) and re-vote as English. Because you speak bloody English!

Edited by Jingthing

I put in other, although it could've been the Eastern Europe - choice as well. Finland doesn't belong to Scandinavia, but isn't associated with the ex-soviet bloc either. Finnish is simply .. Finnish.

That's fine because I have to say not in a MILLION years would I have included Finnish in a choice of twenty languages to put in a poll like this. Sorry. Don't fret. Nothing against Finland. Just watched a good Finnish film. Edited by Jingthing

I also left out Spanglish and Yidlish!

and you left out those who grew up bilingual or (like me) "bi+½-lingual" dry.png

facit: more research required before polling from the hip.

Dude, if I had even thought about including raised bilingually, I would have left it out intentionally. There were 20 choices. One had to be other. It HAD to be VERY limited. Is there something about the word OTHER that you do not understand?

Polling from the hip? More research required? Required? Are you for real? Do you think user polls here are supposed to professional or scientific? This is an internet forum. Period. If you don't like my poll, do one yourself. End of story.

How about this? How about ALL threads of any kind, polls or otherwise, being submitted to a committee of elders for review and editing? Bloody brilliant! Its so clear why more people don't bother using the poll create feature. Because everyone is a poll critic.

Edited by Jingthing

JT's Christmas Card List ...

• JohnL √

• David48

• Naam

• BookMan (50/50 chance at best)

• Sir Burr √

• tropo √

JT ... lighten up ... this is the Pub forum = Fun and Entertainment.

You can be entertaining at times ... show us your best side ... turn the negative into a positive ... biggrin.png

You forgot 'Strine' JT.

strine/strīn/

Off topic, but respond. Excluding Aborigines as obviously unique to Australia, about the same as any other western country. Australian federal governments have invested a lot of time and billions of dollars endeavouring to redress Aboriginal grievances, but with limited success. If you can be bothered look up MABO as it will give you some insights.

I also left out Spanglish and Yidlish!

and you left out those who grew up bilingual or (like me) "bi+½-lingual" dry.png

facit: more research required before polling from the hip.

Dude, if I had even thought about including raised bilingually, I would have left it out intentionally. There were 20 choices. One had to be other. It HAD to be VERY limited. Is there something about the word OTHER that you do not understand?

Polling from the hip? More research required? Required? Are you for real? Do you think user polls here are supposed to professional or scientific? This is an internet forum. Period. If you don't like my poll, do one yourself. End of story.

How about this? How about ALL threads of any kind, polls or otherwise, being submitted to a committee of elders for review and editing? Bloody brilliant! Its so clear why more people don't bother using the poll create feature. Because everyone is a poll critic.

I love it! Let me know if you need me on the main committee or the sub committee you will need to use for final vetting and approval.

Glad to hear you are learning some strine yourself JT.

Bloody brilliant
thumbsup.gif

The most interesting thing to note so far is how many people are using (at least) their second language.

Message should be to have more tolerance with spelling and syntax etc...

Well, if you assume the English teacher population here to be a large part of the forum audience, it's no wonder the grammar Nazis are lurking behind every corner. By English teacher I mean the usual prototype Nana patron, who's last straw for staying in Thailand is moonlighting illegally as a teacher.