Baggage-Allowances Over 20 Kgs

Ricardo

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Has anyone flown EVA recently, and know how 'tight' they are at LHR-Terminal-2 check-in, on hold-weight and carry-ons ? Their reputation is 'strict', but actual experience also counts for something !

Happy Travels !  :)

I went to UK a few weeks ago with EVA and coming back through Terminal 2 is a nightmare, will be avoiding it in the future.

There is no web check in and you have to check in at a machine, if you do not want to use the machine you have to get someone to come and do it for you, this is a change from last year when you were allowed to proceed directly to a desk. At the machine you have to print your boarding pass and luggage labels. Once you have BP and luggage labels attached you are then allowed to join a queue, in my case it was about 200 yards and took over 30 mins to reach the desk. Bit of a come down after being used to extremely short queues at web check in.

Sorry I digress, to answer your question, not a problem. You are not being checked in by EVA, each desk is checking multiple flights for multiple airlines and all you do is hand your bags over and get the receipt, probably check those for weight but never even looked at carry on. We were a bit wary as we knew it was borderline. They then check passports and you are on your way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just got home, Yes LHR Terminal-2 was a long (20-25 minutes !) trek from check-in to the gate for EVA.

The machine-check-in printed my boarding-pass but wouldn't do anyone's luggage-tags, however they loaded 2 bags with 16.0 kgs each without question. Boarding was by zone, no pre-boarding for families/elderly but it all went smoothly enough.

I had a daypack (over 10 kgs) & 8 kgs in my laptop-bag, plus (at the gate) some books & sweets from Duty-Free, thought they were going to weigh it (minor heart-attack !) but they were already checking another passenger so I was waved through. Phew ! Made it !

Flight operated 30-minutes late, I would have missed my onward-connection to CNX if I hadn't already paid to switch it to a later flight, EVA were more roomy than BA (in May) & food was OK (Asian options, not Western) so I'd use them again happily enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/07/2012 at 0:02 PM, possum1931 said:
On 26/07/2012 at 0:38 PM, ripstanley said:

Air Asia do not have a free baggage allowance. You can purchase baggage allowance from 15kg up to 40kg. The price charged depends on departure port and arrival port. This link lets you check if you are planning to fly. http://www.airasia.c...eeschedule.page

I arrived in Bangkok from the UK with my case weight 20 Kilos, I then wanted a single flight to Phitsanulok max weight for luggage 15 kilos. Welcome back to LOS land of stupidity. Like I was going to dump 5 kilos from my case. I just got a bus.

Air asia now offer optional 20kg with a flight meal on flights to Phitsanulok among other places ..for an additional 432b

Edited by Macthehat
  • Like 1

Recently flew a domestic-return On Thai Air Asia, without any hold-luggage allowance, with 16 kgs each-way of carry-on, half in a day-pack (the one carry-on permitted) & the rest in a bulging computer-bag.

I now have bulging arm-muscles  ! :smile:

U-tha-pao is a quaint little airport, the new terminal-building looks almost ready to open.

• 1 month later...

Are there size restrictions posted anywhere for checked luggage on Bangkok Airways' site?  I see weight restrictions, and both size and weight restrictions for *carry-on* luggage.  (Since their size/weight restrictions for carry-on for the small planes are pretty restrictive, I can't imagine they don't restrict the size of checked luggage as well if they're that worried about the plane being too small.)

This is the info I've found on baggage restrictions:

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/baggage

For that matter, I also can't find the cost for checked baggage.  But there must be one, as I was given the option to pre-pay this when I booked.  Not being sure exactly what we were taking, and since it said the fees couldn't be refunded if prepaid, I declined in favor of doing it at the airport.  But I never found out how much it will cost to check a bag.

Following their FAQ there is an allowance of 20 kg included.

Excess baggage:

Q : How much will I be charge if my luggage exceed 20 kgs ?
A : For each extra kgs 1.5% of the highest applicable published one way fare will be charge accordingly.

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/faqs

If that was your question...

I also can't find specs for the dimensions except for the usual max. weight of 32 kg for a single piece.

Optimistically I would interpret this as "the usual stuff, full size Samsonite etc.", no exceptional restrictions.

51 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Following their FAQ there is an allowance of 20 kg included.

If that was your question...

I was actually wondering the charge for standard baggage, rather than overweight.  Like I said, I assume there is a fee, since I was given the option to pre-pay it (unless it was an option to pre-pay if I knew I'd be overweight, and I just missed that part).  I guess I'll just make sure to be prepared for it when I check in.

51 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I also can't find specs for the dimensions except for the usual max. weight of 32 kg for a single piece.

Optimistically I would interpret this as "the usual stuff, full size Samsonite etc.", no exceptional restrictions.

That would be my guess as well, so perhaps any suitcase size is okay.  (I don't plan on anything huge, but the time to find out size restrictions is not when I'm standing in the baggage check line!)  I just got a new small suitcase that I'm not worried about, so all should be well.

Edited by Katia

I just tried a booking on one of their "small" plane routes to Trat.

All I see is this:

Need to check-in more than 20 Kg of luggage? Now you can top-up your allowance with one click!

Baggage imagePre-book now and save. You can purchase extra baggage allowance in addition to your current entitlement, Just click “Add” on the right side.
The extra baggage allowance is non-refundable and non-transferable once purchased.

This option to pre-pay refers only to more than 20 kg.

So if you knew that you have excess baggage you could save compared to paying at the check-in counter.

Common practice with other Thai domestic airlines.

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I just tried a booking on one of their "small" plane routes to Trat.

All I see is this:

This option to pre-pay refers only to more than 20 kg.

So if you knew that you have excess baggage you could save compared to paying at the check-in counter.

Common practice with other Thai domestic airlines.

I have the largest Samsonite suitcases available and never had a problem with Bangkok Air, having flown both small and large planes dozens of times. Even large hand luggage isn't a problem. They just ask you to check it in at no extra cost, or when discovered once in the small plane, they'll find a place to stow it for you. 

Ps. You can get 10kg extra for free by signing up for the Flyerbonus frequent flyer program. No status required or cost involved. 

5 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I have the largest Samsonite suitcases available and never had a problem with Bangkok Air, having flown both small and large planes dozens of times. Even large hand luggage isn't a problem. They just ask you to check it in at no extra cost, or when discovered once in the small plane, they'll find a place to stow it for you. 

Ps. You can get 10kg extra for free by signing up for the Flyerbonus frequent flyer program. No status required or cost involved. 

Ah, that first is good to know.  I'm not at all worried about weight of my bags; I don't plan on taking too much.  (My issue is that whenever possible, I prefer to travel with only a large carry-on rucksack... it's within U.S. airlines' size limits and has easily fit into the overhead on every small-small plane I've ever been on... but it's bigger than BKKAirways would like {their restrictions sound like about a regular school-sized pack?} and there's no way I'm packing for a weekend on 5kg, so I'm going to have to check a bag... and before I got the new suitcase today, the only one I had was standard size.  Way more room than I need, but somehow my old small one seems to have gone AWOL in the move...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Recently flew back LHR-DOH-BKK-CNX on Qatar, they accepted 2-bags/31.9-kgs of hold-luggage without a murmur, also a 10-kg daypack carry-on but they did put a QR-label on it at-checkin.

Then again the A380 was only 25%-full to DOH, roomy and quiet in-flight, but the B777-300 onwards to BKK was absolutely crammed.

I just wish we didn't have to pay 40-50% more, for a ticket ex-Bangkok, compared to ex-UK. :angry:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I just wish we didn't have to pay 40-50% more, for a ticket ex-Bangkok, compared to ex-UK. :angry:

Still very annoying. Emirates is similarly bad.

15 hours ago, Ricardo said:

but the B777-300 onwards to BKK was absolutely crammed.

Be prepared for more crowds.

• 2 months later...

Slight change re Oman Air, I just learned that although they continue to offer Economy-passengers 30kgs total-weight in-the-hold, this has been limited to only two bags since early-January, apparently you could previously load more bags just so long as the total didn't exceed 30 kgs.

http://www.omanair.com/en/travel-info/baggage-services/allowance

• 1 month later...
Many of us flying down-the-back in Economy find we're rather like pack-mules, when flying to/from Thailand, so it might be worth starting a thread about which airlines offer more than just the basic 20 kgs. Who knows, if it proves to be useful, the thread might even get pinned !
This might be common-knowledge, to more-experienced flyers, but could be useful to newbies or to keep up-to-date on alternatives.
To kick it off, here are my own recent experiences, please feel free to add other airlines' deals :-
Domestic
===========
Beacuse those of us who do connect on, to CNX or HKT or wherever, need to be able to move extra-weight for the last 'hop' too.
IME Thai Airways allow up-to 30 kgs, on domestic-flights, if you're connecting to/from an international-flight in Bangkok. It doesn't seem to matter, whether the onward/inbound-flight is with TG or another Star-Alliance carrier or someone else.
And Bangkok Airways have a free frequent-flyer card which, from your first flight, allows an extra 10 kgs of hold-luggage, so effectively the same service as TG.
International
==========
Flying long-haul, a few airlines now seem to be 'breaking ranks' on the standard 20-kg economy-ticket allowance, perhaps to offer a competitive-advantage, or perhaps in recognition that we often travel over-the-limit ?
Thai Airways's frequent-flyer programme allows Silver-cards 10 kgs extra, and 20 kgs for Gold-card members on all flights.
I've flown Jet Airways (of India) three times, over the past year, and they allow 28 kgs on normal economy-tickets for trips starting in BKK, higher-levels of their Jet-Privilege card also allow an extra 10 kgs (Silver) or 15 kgs (Gold) or 20 kgs (Platinum).
I've also flown EgyptAir about a year ago, and they offer two bags, but they can be up-to 23 kgs each, so you can theoretically move up-to 46 kgs by balanced packing. This applies to all their international-flights, not just to North-America.
Air India's website says 35 kgs is standard for London-S.E.Asia, but I'm not sure what would be allowed for tickets starting from BKK ?
In the Gulf, Emirates allow a stunning 30 kgs of hold-luggage as standard, Silver & Gold ff-cardholders also gain extra baggage-allowance, not sure how much ?
Etihad allow a basic 23 kgs, with frequent-flyers Etihad-Guest an extra 5 kgs(ordinary members) or 10 kgs (Silver) or 15 kgs (Gold) or 20 kgs (Gold Elite).
Qatar Airways offers a basic 23 kgs, with Priviledge-Club members getting 0 kgs (ordinary) or 10 kgs (Burgundy) or 15 kgs (Silver) or 20 kgs (Gold).
And special-rules have always applied for flights to/from North-America, in the past, but might they now slowly be changing.
Perhaps other posters might care to share their own experience ? wai.gif
On my ticket for 31 oct 2017 from newcastle to Dubai. Then Bangkok. It says only 20 kg max on baggage .so im going to check it out with a call to Emirates.thanks anyway

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, flashgordon1959 said:

On my ticket for 31 oct 2017 from newcastle to Dubai. Then Bangkok. It says only 20 kg max on baggage .so im going to check it out with a call to Emirates.thanks anyway

Emirates' very-cheapest fares have recently been allowing only a reduced-allowance of 20 kgs, so your new ticket is probably right, although 30 kgs is still offered in-Economy on their less-discounted fares.

You may also find you need to pay an extra fee per-sector, if you want to pre-select your favourite seat, however I believe there's no charge for seat-selection when doing online-checkin with them ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 10:18 AM, KhunBENQ said:

A mate from Hamburg was also negatively surprised that his cheap Emirates ticket allowed only 20 kg after his experience from previous years.

Flight was in September.

Yes, don't you hate it when they casually introduce reductions, and catch you unawares. :wink:

Like the way Bangkok Airways have just done, at very short-notice, by halving their 10kgs frequent-flyer extra-hold-luggage allowance, a week or so ago  ...

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1007856-bangkok-airways-reduce-extra-flyerbonus-hold-luggage/

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:54 AM, Ricardo said:

Emirates' very-cheapest fares have recently been allowing only a reduced-allowance of 20 kgs, so your new ticket is probably right, although 30 kgs is still offered in-Economy on their less-discounted fares.

You may also find you need to pay an extra fee per-sector, if you want to pre-select your favourite seat, however I believe there's no charge for seat-selection when doing online-checkin with them ?

I got 4 tickets for April with Emirates all economy with 30kg on the ticket, Also have 2 x 1 way with Evaair again 30kg for economy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
49 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You are only allowed 2 characters, Bkk is three, so useless.

? works fine for me

ifly.jpg

Just that the result is simplified/generalized (standard economy).

30 kg on Emirates is a thing of the past for the cheapest booking classes.

Edited by KhunBENQ

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

? works fine for me

ifly.jpg

Just that the result is simplified/generalized (standard economy).

30 kg on Emirates is a thing of the past for the cheapest booking classes.

It did not work for me. DXB and BKK are three characters, and on the link, it came

up in red letters two characters so could not go any further.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/5/2018 at 4:42 PM, possum1931 said:

It did not work for me. DXB and BKK are three characters, and on the link, it came

up in red letters two characters so could not go any further.

This weight link is a load of nonsense, is BKK 2 or 3 characters??

• Haha 1