Olympics On Thai Tv

With luck the whole sorry waste of public money will be blacked out everywhere

It's a shame to read the comments from some of the depressing individuals in this forum.

Back on Topic: obviously Thailand will be interested in the boxing, I do hope much more is televised especially with the option to watch the commentary in English.

I think you will be pushing it in English, but stranger things have happened here !!

I do not have a old fashioned TV antenna, I do not know if the same fun and games will happening as with the soccer re the free to air channels on PSI and True? (funny name for a lie company)

With luck the whole sorry waste of public money will be blacked out everywhere

​Thanks for you opinion, now back into you cave LOL.

Edited by chantsurfer

The Olympics on Thai TV will focus almost exclusively on Thai competitors.

Lots of boxing and weightlifting, but if you're expecting to see the main track events get ready to be disappointed.

It will be Thai, Thai commentary and when there's no live Thai action there will be repeats of Thai competitors.

Lots of boxing and weightlifting, but if you're expecting to see the main track events get ready to be disappointed.

It will be Thai, Thai commentary and when there's no live Thai action there will be repeats of Thai competitors.

Or...you could subscribe to True Visions where ESPN will carry the events 24/7 for the entirety.

Oh wait...True Visions won't have any of the decoder boxes available for the next few weeks/months.

Never mind...

• Like 2

I am in a guesthouse with the very limited channels on the tv. Does anybody know if the ceremonies will be broadcast on any of the basic channels. I'm planning to get up to watch if so.

Thanks!

Thaiexpattv say they'll be showing the BBC's coverage of the opening ceremony live at 9pm GMT. They've added extra sporting channels to cram in as much as possible but only time will tell how reliable it'll be.

Well, I thought that this opening was a quite magnificent event,though God knows how much it cost.!...poor old taxpayers !!

and her majesty arriving from the helicopter...who ever thought that one up. !!

All in congratulations to the organisers.

I knew of the YouTube link and had played some live and recorded Olympic videos there yesterday and earlier...

But early this morning, when I tried to watch the live version of the Opening Ceremonies there, it wouldn't play -- but the website did say 24,000 or so people supposedly were watching the stream. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them.

As for Thailand, last night I caught a bit of Olympic content on NBT, but nowhere else. And early this morning and today, I was looking at all of the regular Thai broadcast channels and saw nothing.

In reading the news, it looks like Thailand's first athletic participation is scheduled for tonight at 9:30 pm (Saturday) with the women's weightlifting competition and a couple of Thai ladies who might have some chance for medals. That's right in Thai prime time. Will be interesting to see if the any of the networks cover it live in lieu of their lakorns...

I'm away from BKK for the weekend, but before I left, I searched the TrueVisions online channel guide for Olympics and came up only with a bunch of scheduled coverage on NHK.... but almost nothing re ESPN. I don't have a True package with ESPN, so I can't vouch personally for whether their Thailand feed is doing anything or not re the Olympics...

But this morning, I was scouring the BKK Post and Nation websites for Olympics news re Thailand, and was amazed at the LACK of coverage the games were getting, and even the lack of coverage for the Thai Olympic contingent. I read several articles that made brief mention of the Thai athletes, but didn't have a single quote from any of them, but then had quotes from some athletes from other countries... Amazing!!!!

So much for the recent assurances from the NBTC that we weren't going to have another broadcasting blackout for a major sporting event similar to the last one between TrueVisions and GMM....

Today, the wife and I were staying at a hotel outside BKK with some variety of cable TV system (not sure about the provider), and watching Channel 3... During their programming, about 3 pm, they started promo'ing that they were going to have Olympics coverage upcoming... Then about 4 pm, their news report ended and... this is what then showed up on our TV screen.

post-58284-0-86409000-1343468929_thumb.j

I don't read Thai, but from the wife's translation, it basically says, under Olympic rules, they cannot broadcast the programming on the cable channel, but that it can be viewed via antenna and over the air broadcast....

Thaiexpattv say they'll be showing the BBC's coverage of the opening ceremony live at 9pm GMT. They've added extra sporting channels to cram in as much as possible but only time will tell how reliable it'll be.

Well, I thought that this opening was a quite magnificent event,though God knows how much it cost.!...poor old taxpayers !!

and her majesty arriving from the helicopter...who ever thought that one up. !!

All in congratulations to the organisers.

cost for the opening ceremony 24 million pounds

Yes, unfortunately, Thais have no taste for the Olympics as a whole. They are only interested in the sports which they like anyway, i.e. boxing and football, and in events in which Thais are taking part. So that's what you see on Thai TV.

Narrow tastes, narrow vision.

Yes, unfortunately, Thais have no taste for the Olympics as a whole. They are only interested in the sports which they like anyway, i.e. boxing and football, and in events in which Thais are taking part. So that's what you see on Thai TV.

Narrow tastes, narrow vision.

This is common everywhere. I was living in Ukraine during one Olympics and there was a Ukrainian competitor in some kind of rifle competition who was expected to do really well. So Ukraine TV covered all these shooting competitions that were probably the most boring Olympic events I'd ever seen in my life. As I remember the entire games were covered that way. They focused on what was interesting for locals, not for foreigners.

Unfortunately I am in the sticks at the moment with a GMMZ box and free channels. The Olympic coverage on terrestrial channels has been abysmal. I have only seen events with Thai competitors, with the cutaways for the 8:00 programmes and a programme last Saturday that appeared on all channels. I am jealous of those of you with True Visions but I can't warrant putting it in the village house where I spend a only spend a short time every year.

Pleased to use the youtube link published on a couple of threads which has been really good and actually works with a fairly ordinary internet connection.