Prime Minister To Launch Credit Cards For Northeastern Farmers

Lite Beer

Prime Minister to launch Credit Cards for northeastern farmers

BANGKOK, 29 July 2012 (NNT) – The mobile cabinet meeting in Surin during July 29-31 will focus on development projects in eight lower northeastern provinces. It will also be an opportunity for the government to distribute credit cards to farmers, one of the major campaign promises that the Pheu Thai Party made to win the election last July.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said members of the Cabinet have been asked to make field visits ahead of the meeting and work with the provincial governors involved and the private sector to ensure smooth execution of priority development projects. The eight provinces are Surin, Buriram, Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Amnat Charoen and Yasothon.

Ms. Yingluck said the government’s urgent policy is to distribute credit cards to farmers which they can use to buy agricultural factors such as fertilizers, plant seeds or pesticides from stores registered with the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives. Farmer representatives from 19 northeastern provinces will receive the cards at a ceremony to be held in Surin Province.

Meanwhile, Surin’s Chamber of Commerce has prepared to ask the Cabinet to support the province with transport infrastructure, promote border trade and develop more water sources. Mr. Kriangsak Palikupt, president of the Surin Chamber of Commerce, said the province is famous for its Hom Mali fragrant rice and needs to have reliable water supply.

The province will also urge the government to support its project to bring back local elephants roaming for money with their mahouts in major cities. Surin is a well-known elephant habitat and organizes a yearly elephant round-up that brings a lot of tourists.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-29 footer_n.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame on the government cronies for creating more debt slaves.... luckily the cards can be used at shops having ties to government ministers and friends all with a friendly 20+% markup. As for the poor Elephants... it seems like some monkeys are making decisions for them.......all told a thai circus.

• Like 2

Unbelievable statement: The province will also urge the government to support its project to bring back local elephants roaming for money with their mahouts in major cities. Surin is a well-known elephant habitat and organizes a yearly elephant round-up that brings a lot of tourists.

It will also bring bad publicity and calls for tourist boycotts. Elephants do not belong in the city. The request is downright idiotic. If the man had any understanding of responsibe and ethical tourism, he would ask that the forests and preserves be protected so that the elephants could be seen in their natural habitat.

Where do they find these people that make such foolish statements?

the statement is badly worded (hardly a first), & may need to be read more than once.....

Unbelievable statement: The province will also urge the government to support its project to bring back local elephants roaming for money with their mahouts in major cities. Surin is a well-known elephant habitat and organizes a yearly elephant round-up that brings a lot of tourists.

It will also bring bad publicity and calls for tourist boycotts. Elephants do not belong in the city. The request is downright idiotic. If the man had any understanding of responsibe and ethical tourism, he would ask that the forests and preserves be protected so that the elephants could be seen in their natural habitat.

the statement is badly worded (hardly a first), & may need to be read more than once.....

Now that i read it again, you are right. The idea rather seems to be to bring back city elephants and relocate them back into the forests, rather than the other way round. I thought though that city elephants were a thing of the past thanks to new laws. Don't tend to see them in Bangkok now, thank god. Not sure about the other big cities.

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 2

OK...Let me get this. I read an article today stating that Thai rice exports are decreasing, and the poorer farmers are losing income. Now, the government wants to give out credit cards to these same farmers. Maybe it is different in Thailand, but where I come from, after you charge on your credit card you need to come up with the money to pay what was charged.

Somehow, less income does not translate into the ability to pay off more debt. And I thought voodoo economics was an American invention.

Edited by jaltsc

This is another populist policy that will only put the farmers in more debt than they are in now...(MOST) Thais dont worry about tomorrow or the future, they only think of how to get ahead today! Sad but true.

I lived in Essan and they do not need to have resources for borrowing any more money......They are way into debt already...

Wake up and let the farmers know what is next when they cannot pay the bills.....

Now that i read it again, you are right. The idea rather seems to be to bring back city elephants and relocate them back into the forests, rather than the other way round. I thought though that city elephants were a thing of the past thanks to new laws. Don't tend to see them in Bangkok now, thank god. Not sure about the other big cities.

There are two or three trucks that carry elephants from place to place down south, I have seen them in both Chumphon and Lang Suan, haven't seen them for a while, but they pop up every now and then.

With THB 260 billion spend since 2011-10-07 on rice price fixing alone to help farmers, those farmers surely need credit cards to help spent their taxpayer provided wealth.

Of course if the farmers cannot repay their credit card debts they can always sell their land to some rich Thai Chinese families living in Chiang Mai and the North who are always on the lookout for cheap assets.

• Like 1

With THB 260 billion spend since 2011-10-07 on rice price fixing alone to help farmers, those farmers surely need credit cards to help spent their taxpayer provided wealth.
apparently the government has been subsidising the Cambodian rice farmers too which is nice.

There are two or three trucks that carry elephants from place to place down south, I have seen them in both Chumphon and Lang Suan, haven't seen them for a while, but they pop up every now and then.

They could either be used in logging, or they maybe used in shows round the villages.

So thats why they fix some potholes on the Highway 24. And i thought we were lucky one of the royal family would come along (no sarcasm intended).

Too bad i am not a farmer, so i cant get some of the money they will never repay.

Mosha,

unfortunately the elephants that I have seen down this way have been used as a begging tool, the handlers sell bananas to tourists at hugely inflated prices which are then fed to the elephants, the handlers tend to take the elephants and scamper very quick when the police show up. I have been told that they are from the north east, and I have also been told that what they are doing is illegal, the elephants I have seen are young and juvenile, as in no or very small tusks. Who knows they may be farmers who found an easier way to make money than through farming.

Mosha,

unfortunately the elephants that I have seen down this way have been used as a begging tool, the handlers sell bananas to tourists at hugely inflated prices which are then fed to the elephants, the handlers tend to take the elephants and scamper very quick when the police show up. I have been told that they are from the north east, and I have also been told that what they are doing is illegal, the elephants I have seen are young and juvenile, as in no or very small tusks. Who knows they may be farmers who found an easier way to make money than through farming.

Sad to hear. As i say, they certainly seem a thing of the past in Bangkok, so i guess they have branched out to other parts of the country.

I don't think anyone cares about the hugely inflated prices they sell the bananas at - more fool the people who pay - but about the plight of the animals. Government should set up an elephant reserve, and force all the owners who aren't treating them humanely, to relocate them there.

Prime Minister to launch Credit Cards for northeastern farmers

Announced from the new Director of the "Northern Shinawatra Bank of Thailand".

Once upon a time there were three little pigs,.... and now they are blowing the house down to get land from the wolves!

-mel.

• Like 2

I hope they tell the farmers that they eventually have to pay the bills, something they apparently neglected to do when they gave the taxi drivers credit cards.

That one reason some farmers and taxi drivers support the use of credit cards as some of these folks have no plan in paying back any or all of the money....it's free money until the credit card is cancelled due to lack of payment....basically, it's free money, milk this cash cow until the card is canceled.

That is a Big Mistake...and they will bury the farmers in debt up to their eyeballs...

Which will not need to be paid back as long as PTP are in power...

Bit like the village loans which you pay back & then borrow again the next day to ride you over for another 2/3 years. The cycle continues as long as your face fits.

Be interesting to see how this is rolled out........

The Democrats election promise was subsidise fertiliser 25%......I guess the main beneficiaries of this policy would be the owners of large tracts of land, and also the fertiliser companies maintain full production at no loss of profit, and of course the small landowner to a lesser extend

It remains to be seen if there will be a 'value' of subsidy on the cards, say per elligible person, or a percentage reduction to be picked up by the government. It is not unusual for governments to support agriculture, vast amounts are seconded to the cause in Europe, a country that cannot feed itself better have a real good alternative to generate income, and occupy the labour force.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Thai small farm economics, I know many who go to the bank to negotiate their annual overdraft, or borrow a regular amount annually from the village fund, or both, these loans will only be repeated on repayment. I also know it is a matter of great pride to most that the village loan is repaid, as if not the whole village will be aware!

There are many diverse ways of borrowing, and as such of subsidising, but in general in the modern world most agriculture is subsidised to a large extent, just depends how the government wishes to feed the subsidies out

Elephant situation in Surin needs to be handled carefully, but if you read, it is the guy from the chamber of commerce, rather gives the game away!

Edited by 473geo