Cnx -> Sukhothai Road Trip - Suggestions?

Hi all

I am planning to do a road trip from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai in the next few weeks. Google Maps says that doing 11 and 101 will take roughly 5 - 1/2 hours. I'll be riding my Honda Wave 125i and not in any hurry. Is there anything along the way that would warrant stopping and breaking it into a two day ride rather than doing it in one? If so, any suggestions for places to stay would be appreciated. Also, are there any road issues on that route such as steep climbs, etc.? As far as Sukhothai is concerned, any suggestions of places to stay? I plan to be there about a week exploring and photographing around the historical park.

Thanks

David

Chiang Mai to Sukhotai - 300 km - takes around maximum four and a half hours - with a short stop in the middle - with a wave 125 and if you ask me there is nowhere interesting to stop on the road except some temples in Lamphun and a tour and meal in Lampang City for a couple of hours.

So, if you leave Chiang Mai early in the morning like 07:00 or 08:00, you can see those and arrive Sukhotai the same day like very easily.

When I leave Chiangmai I usually bolt straight home to old Suk. biggrin.png

Stopped before at the Elephant hospital in Lampang for a look and a break.

Can't say I remember much more apart from Si Satchanalai historical park is OK you can ride around it.

New Sukhothai has more to do on late evenings and Old Sukhothai historical park is before new Suk on the way in from the highway.

Old city guest house in Muang Kao next to the historical park is where I bung everyone that comes to see me and there are many other places to see.biggrin.png

The village is usually very quite after 10pm, many of the Thai restaurants are cheaper than the Thai/European ones, up to you.

Chiang Mai to Sukhotai - 300 km - takes around maximum four and a half hours - with a short stop in the middle - with a wave 125 and if you ask me there is nowhere interesting to stop on the road except some temples in Lamphun and a tour and meal in Lampang City for a couple of hours.

So, if you leave Chiang Mai early in the morning like 07:00 or 08:00, you can see those and arrive Sukhotai the same day like very easily.

@loserlazer

Thanks for the information. Looks like it will most likely be one day each way.

David

Can't say I remember much more apart from Si Satchanalai historical park is OK you can ride around it.

New Sukhothai has more to do on late evenings and Old Sukhothai historical park is before new Suk on the way in from the highway.

Old city guest house in Muang Kao next to the historical park is where I bung everyone that comes to see me and there are many other places to see.biggrin.png

The village is usually very quite after 10pm, many of the Thai restaurants are cheaper than the Thai/European ones, up to you.

@Kwasaki

Thanks. I'll check out the Old City Guesthouse. As for being quiet after 10, no problem. Most likely I'll be editing pictures from the day's shooting. And I much prefer Thai restaurants. biggrin.png

David

Nice ride on you wave 125 as I have done the same.

yes you may slow some in the hills, I can keep 80+ but still ahead of trucks, busses etc.

Fuel in Lampang. But you should not have fuel problems

Gets quieter on 101 but well marked.

If I may suggest, on the way back, Over to Tak, up 1 to Behumbiol Dam. Very beautiful to stay the night or just look around. Keep north on 1 to just about Thoen and then take the back road up to Hang Dong. Makes a very nice loop

Nice ride on you wave 125 as I have done the same.

yes you may slow some in the hills, I can keep 80+ but still ahead of trucks, busses etc.

Fuel in Lampang. But you should not have fuel problems

Gets quieter on 101 but well marked.

If I may suggest, on the way back, Over to Tak, up 1 to Behumbiol Dam. Very beautiful to stay the night or just look around. Keep north on 1 to just about Thoen and then take the back road up to Hang Dong. Makes a very nice loop

@Jeffrey

Thanks for the suggestion. Does look like it might be a fun rid back that way.

Is the road you are talking about at Thoen 106? If so, I haven't been able to find where it ties into Hang Dong. Do you know the number of the road that cuts over to 108 and goes into Hang Dong? Worst case, I will just stay on 106 into CM which leaves me on the side of town I live on.

David

The best place is the coffee shop,cheap and good food unless you like 7/11.

Take the 106 going and coming, there is a great coffe shop before Theon run by a school teacher and her husband stopped there on a trip to Tak and back during Songram. Have fun and be careful, the 106 is a nice road to ride a short distamnce in the mountains kind of breaks up the straight sections but a good ride. The 106 goes thru Laphun and you pick it up on the southwest section of town across from the market, I took the wrong road out of town and had to backtrack about 5 miles. have fun