Nitrogen In Tyres

thaipod

I think nitrogen is a wonderful idea, the cooler running tyre has a stiffer sidewall creating a nice sporty feeling.

Will she be participating in a motor sport event with her car?

• Like 1

I think nitrogen is a wonderful idea, the cooler running tyre has a stiffer sidewall creating a nice sporty feeling.

Will she be participating in a motor sport event with her car?

I very well doubt that you will ever feel this . Actually , i will without a doubt say that it is impossible to feel . The only difference you will ever know is that the tyrepressure stays constant or near constant even after 6 months or more . All the rest are just salestalks .

If you want a bit stiffer ride , take stiffer tyres , plenty of info on tyres / brands on the internet . If you want sportier drive , change springs and shocks and possibly mount low profile tyres . Hell of a lot more difference then any N2 in tyres will ever make .

• Like 1

I've nitro...whatever in my tires.

ACT did it and they told me, that it is safer and the pressure stays more or less constant.

I think that it's more important to give the tires the right pressure, rather than blowing them up until the compressor stops.

From what I gather the only difference is that Nitrogen doesn't expand as much as air when heated so on a long hard run the pressure stays more consistant. The tyres get just as hot, they just don't get harder as they would do with air in.

If your second name was Vettel or Hamilton maybe you tell the difference in the driving feelsmile.png

Nitrogen pressure does not stay constant. It goes up when the tires get hot pretty much the same as compressed air does.

But those things you fly in only use nitrogen to take care of temperature variations. I have learned that this gas does work in LOS. If l have air, then the tyres will deflate after a period but very little loss with nitrogen. Molecule thing. smile.png

How do they fill the tyres with nitrogen? Do they use a purge method over a period of time to ensure all other gases are driven out?

No, usually with new tyres they ask air or nitrogen, nitrogen from a bottle, air from the atmosphere. Can top up if needed.

How do they fill the tyres with nitrogen? Do they use a purge method over a period of time to ensure all other gases are driven out?

No, usually with new tyres they ask air or nitrogen, nitrogen from a bottle, air from the atmosphere. Can top up if needed.

How do they purge the air from the tyre that is introduced during the fitment stage?

At the end of the Nitrogen is (at) best suited to those who are too lazy to check their tyre pressures on a regular basis.

Edited by Spoonman

F1 tyres are filled with a Nitrogen enriched mixture, not pure Nitrogen, to minimise pressure changes with temperature. The mix is calculated by the tyre manufacturer to suit the build of the tyre which is nothing like the tyres you and me use on our cars, pick-ups etc. They do tend to need less checking with Nitrogren, however as the average(?) F1 tyre is designed to last about 200 kilometres the pressure checks would seem to be somewhat superflious, someone said molecule thing.

However if you honestly believe that you can tell the difference when driving with them you should be working with Michelin or one of the F1 Teams.

On the other hand maybe Somchai in Cockpit knows more about it than the F1 teams.

Answer not aimed at anyone in particular.

biggrin.png

F1 tyres are filled with a Nitrogen enriched mixture, not pure Nitrogen, to minimise pressure changes with temperature. The mix is calculated by the tyre manufacturer to suit the build of the tyre which is nothing like the tyres you and me use on our cars, pick-ups etc. They do tend to need less checking with Nitrogren, however as the average(?) F1 tyre is designed to last about 200 kilometres the pressure checks would seem to be somewhat superflious, someone said molecule thing.

However if you honestly believe that you can tell the difference when driving with them you should be working with Michelin or one of the F1 Teams.

On the other hand maybe Somchai in Cockpit knows more about it than the F1 teams.

biggrin.png

Think the point is that in LOS with high temperatures not affiliated to road use, nitrogen is beneficial. I had new front tyres filled with a N fill. Nooooooo loss of pressure, before was topping up ever week with air. smile.png It is not a sales gimmick, someone actually in LOS did their homework. huh.png

Tried to post this twice.

Cannot disagree with your last, but anyone who claims they can feel the difference in handling or road handling could also claim a stripe down the middle of the car and a big number 7 on the door gives them 15 bhp more

biggrin.png

Think the point is that in LOS with high temperatures not affiliated to road use, nitrogen is beneficial. I had new front tyres filled with a N fill. Nooooooo loss of pressure, before was topping up ever week with air. smile.png It is not a sales gimmick, someone actually in LOS did their homework. huh.png

I check the pressure in my tyres every week and Ive yet to have to add any air in the past 6 months.

When i change tyres in my home country they fill the tyres with nitrogen for about the last 7 or 8 years . The only difference i ever noticed , from very sporty driving before till a more relax is that tyre pressure stays more or less constant even after 1 year . You wont feel anything else , not even if you drive like a F1 driver . If you have to pay for it , forget it .. take air at any time .

Some people claim that nitrogene is less likely to permeate through the tyre walls thus keeping the pressure constant for a longer time.

I seriously doubt that. Nitrogene or N2 has the atom number 7, whereas Oxygene is 8. This means that the oxygene gas or O2 is bigger than the nitrogene gas N2. How can a bigger molecule slip easier through a wall? Beats me.

If someone experiences a loss of pressure over an extended period of time, this might be becasue of other reasons like tires exposed to sunlight, valve not 100% tight etc.

I did a fair amount of racing when I lived in Europe and I also experimented with nitrogene in the tyres. OK, I may not be quite as good as Alonso or Vettel, but I could not tell any difference.

So I would say, save your money, use normal air and check the pressure regularly and adapt it to the kind of use (number of people in the car, with or without luggage, high-speed driving etc).

Some people claim that nitrogene is less likely to permeate through the tyre walls thus keeping the pressure constant for a longer time.

I seriously doubt that. Nitrogene or N2 has the atom number 7, whereas Oxygene is 8. This means that the oxygene gas or O2 is bigger than the nitrogene gas N2. How can a bigger molecule slip easier through a wall? Beats me.

If someone experiences a loss of pressure over an extended period of time, this might be becasue of other reasons like tires exposed to sunlight, valve not 100% tight etc.

I did a fair amount of racing when I lived in Europe and I also experimented with nitrogene in the tyres. OK, I may not be quite as good as Alonso or Vettel, but I could not tell any difference.

So I would say, save your money, use normal air and check the pressure regularly and adapt it to the kind of use (number of people in the car, with or without luggage, high-speed driving etc).

I am 100% sure of the tyre pressure . A couple of years back , i had to check the pressure in my tyres at least 2 times a year and they needed 0.2 to 0.4 bar extra . They lost that amount in those 6 months . After they switched to N2 filling and when i checked after i did not need to refill ever again , even after 1 year of 1.5 year . Anything else is just .... but the tyre pressure stays constant after long time . That is not in Thailand but in Europe , so sun etc has nothing to do with it .

• 1 month later...

I am 100% sure of the tyre pressure . A couple of years back , i had to check the pressure in my tyres at least 2 times a year and they needed 0.2 to 0.4 bar extra . They lost that amount in those 6 months . After they switched to N2 filling and when i checked after i did not need to refill ever again , even after 1 year of 1.5 year . Anything else is just .... but the tyre pressure stays constant after long time . That is not in Thailand but in Europe , so sun etc has nothing to do with it .

Sorry but your tire pressure will most likely just be a coincidence - the tires will have re-settled after changing the gas - remember air is mostly nitrogen anyway.

when you check tire pressures - as you do weekly, you let out a bit of air anyhow, and then if you need a top up, what do you do? Put in air or wait till you get back to your nitrogen supplier? - a total waste of time and money.....like most fuel additives tit is a con.

THe contentsd of your tire are 78% nitrogen anyway, what difference do you think that 22% will make - assuming you actually are getting nitrogen.

You may find toothat there are modifications made to valves and tire by the suppliers that will in fact improve gas loss rate regardless of what you put in the tire.

Edited by Histavia