Work Permit Possible On Retirement Visa ?

I didn't think it was possible to get a work permit if you had a retirement visa....

But,

A friend of mine (English) recently got a job as a restaurant manager.......

i asked him about how obtaining his B visa / work permit went (having been through the process myself).

But, he told me that he still had his retirement visa and his employer simply obtained a work permit for him - he then showed me his retirement stamp and the work permit book...

So - Have the rules been changed ??

It has always been possible to get a WP on a Retirement visa. It's just that most people don't know this.

Like lopburi says, it depends on your visa. One will be stamped "prohibited from work" and the other will not be.

It has always been possible to get a WP on a Retirement visa. It's just that most people don't know this.

Like lopburi says, it depends on your visa. One will be stamped "prohibited from work" and the other will not be.

NO you are not allowed to work on a retirement visa regardless if their is a "prohibit from work" stamp with the retirement visa or not.

The question still pending an answer is does he have an extension or a non-o visa.

With a non-o visa it is still possible to get a work permit. But not with an extension (normally).

Immigration and the labor department normally ignore those not permitted to work or no extension allowed stamps put on visas at some embassies and consulates.

One would not want to speculate too highly on how this was done I suspect. But normally Labor Office will not issue a work permit on such an extension of stay. There have always been a few exceptions. There has not been any change that we are aware of and am sure we would be aware of such as there are many retired who would like to legally work/volunteer.

I have a Non O Visa with retirement stamped on it. I have had four 1 year extensions on it and 4 work permits from three different provinces, so yes it is possible to get a work permit on a Non Immigrant O Retirement Visa.

But were your extensions issued for retirement or for work? If for work, then it's a totally different situation than the one described in the OP. Also, did you have a Non Immigrant O visa or a Non Immigrant OA visa?

Sophon

> There has not been any change that we are aware of and am sure we would be aware of such as there are many retired who would like to legally work/volunteer.<

Lopburi3, is it legal to do volunteer work charitable work while on a retirement visa or are these activities also prohibited? As I understand it from previous readings in the various forms of thaivisa.com, if one apllies for permanenet residency or for (the rare occasion of) citizenship, the immigration or rather the panels which interview you, do want to see that you have (in addition to paying your taxes) also done some volunteer charitable work.

Your amplification on this matter would be appreciated.

Work requires a work permit regardless of pay. So technically you would be allowed work only if a work permit was issued. In some cases this seems to happen. That said most such work is done off-radar and people are unlikely to be subject to actions - but it is a very gray area and probably not what most would want to do.

As for PR or citizenship many charitable things can be done without actual work. Donating blood would be one obvious example - making charity contributions another.