Recommended Air Con Brands

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After going to power buy I need even more time to think. The display models are mainly smaller ones. So I've been searching their website.

I've found a large Mitsubishi for a 26 to 36 room for 59,000 baht. Seems very expensive! Just curious why the room rating has a 10 meter range.

Here is the link:

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetail.aspx?CategoryID=602&Brand=001192&Price=0&itemNo=PWB000191476

Can anyone recommend any specific mitsu models? Thanks.

Mistubishi and Daikin as other posters have stated. Both these brands are very good for after sales costs, parts and servicing. Stay well away from LG - when buying ANYTHING electrical.

How about their washing machines???

• Like 1

I have a building of 18 apartments equipped with LG. After 4 years our heavy users are all in need of re-gassing and we have had 2 mechanical failures. Apart from that everything is fine. Not a perfect record, but the LGs are cheaper than the Daikin and Mitsubishis. That said we have Mitsubishis at home....wonderful units! Quiet and coooool!

loss of refrigerant is in 99.99% based on shoddy installation, i.e. the soldering connections leak.

I've just had to make a similar choice. In the end i went for 2 LG inverters @ 21,000 baht each. I am very happy with their performance so far. One factor for me was their (claimed) low noise 19 db. Can't say i've noticed much change in electrity bills but then i probably use them more.

That seems kinda cheap for an inverter unit. I have seen them only much more expensive how many BTU are they.

12,000 btus. The list price is lot more @ 28,000 but Num Chai here in Pattaya offer good discounts. Someone before said don't but LG electrical items but most of mine are LG (TVs, DVDs, air con) and they have all been perfect performers.

Edited by chris2004

Mistubishi and Daikin as other posters have stated. Both these brands are very good for after sales costs, parts and servicing. Stay well away from LG - when buying ANYTHING electrical.

Sometimes you get lucky as the contracted LG manufacturer is above their normal standard (crap), but I wouldn't ever risk it. Why would you buy a LG telly if a Sony or Panasonic is the same price? Why would you buy a LG phone if for the same price you can get a Nokia?

Sometimes you get lucky as the contracted LG manufacturer is above their normal standard (crap), but I wouldn't ever risk it. Why would you buy a LG telly if a Sony or Panasonic is the same price? Why would you buy a LG phone if for the same price you can get a Nokia?

I would never buy a Nokia! :D

• Like 1

I would not use HomePro recommend size unless you need meat locker cooling. At least one size lower should be fine for most people/locations. As an example have two ground floor bedrooms of 24 and 26 sm and 9k units have been fully adequate for our usage which is 27-28 deg at ceiling level (don't know sitting level but fully comfortable - but admit not meat locker cold - but air conditioner fully able to make it too cold for comfort). I originally bought as second units for 18k and 13k which still installed thinking could use at least at night but have found the 9k is all we need day or night.

After going to power buy I need even more time to think. The display models are mainly smaller ones. So I've been searching their website.

I've found a large Mitsubishi for a 26 to 36 room for 59,000 baht. Seems very expensive! Just curious why the room rating has a 10 meter range.

Here is the link:

http://www.powerbuy....No=PWB000191476

The model in your link is 22.000 BTU, much much to big. I would stay away from powerbuy if I were you.

As said 12.000 BTU is perfect for your room size, and found info here : http://srairsale.com/page-2394.html (note the price difference)

I don't know where you are situated, but there should be a smaller airco shop in your immediate vicinity.

Anyway good luck.

Yermanee wai.gif

p.s. : as said before installation is very important i.e. tight soldering, perfectly level etc.

Slightly radical advice - but - in my experience, as air conditioners need to be cleaned at least every six months (and ideally more often) and this process of disassembling the front and protecting the electronics is quite invasive; I'd suggest finding a reputable local shop and asking what brand they recommend as they, not some random salesman or shop employee, will be the ones you call to clean and service it.

I have Samsung, and they have bene problematic. After yet another repair, I asked the Samsung shop owner what brand he would get for his home. WIthout hesitation he told me Mitsubishi.

Hmmm...,the first AC unit i purchased in Thailand was a Mitsubishi "Heavy Industry" series which was slightly more expensive than the regular home units but it was so quiet and efficient that I would have to recommend this model. I have always favored Daiken, but have had mixed success with them. Daiken are either really good performers or problematic it seems. I would go with Mitsubish heavy industry models most definately. I have two el-cheapo LG's now in one of my condos and they are performing superbly despite their many negative ratings.

Hope this helps.

I have a building of 18 apartments equipped with LG. After 4 years our heavy users are all in need of re-gassing and we have had 2 mechanical failures. Apart from that everything is fine. Not a perfect record, but the LGs are cheaper than the Daikin and Mitsubishis. That said we have Mitsubishis at home....wonderful units! Quiet and coooool!

loss of refrigerant is in 99.99% based on shoddy installation, i.e. the soldering connections leak.

I'd go with that. I didn't contract the installers, the owner did.....

Regarding inverter air cons, manufacturers will usually advertise a 30% savings in electricity. Keep in mind this savings is under laboratory/ideal conditions, so in the real world your A/C electric bill savings will vary....and probably won't be 30%. But even if it's only 10% that adds up over time.

• Like 1

How do Mitsubishi slim compare to the heavy duty ones? Are slim more ideal for home?

I think I will find an somchai air con shop. The link Yermanee posted is a place in Nontaburi which is where I live.

Thanks to all the replies. Seems mitsu is the way to go. :D

Here is the link:

The model in your link is 22.000 BTU, much much to big. I would stay away from powerbuy if I were you.

As said 12.000 BTU is perfect for your room size, and found info here : http://srairsale.com/page-2394.html (note the price difference)

I don't know where you are situated, but there should be a smaller airco shop in your immediate vicinity.

Anyway good luck.

Yermanee wai.gif

p.s. : as said before installation is very important i.e. tight soldering, perfectly level etc.

Just checked the link you posted. The prices are considerably different. SR prices are about 6-7 thousand baht cheaper.

Slightly radical advice - but - in my experience, as air conditioners need to be cleaned at least every six months (and ideally more often) and this process of disassembling the front and protecting the electronics is quite invasive; I'd suggest finding a reputable local shop and asking what brand they recommend as they, not some random salesman or shop employee, will be the ones you call to clean and service it.

I have Samsung, and they have bene problematic. After yet another repair, I asked the Samsung shop owner what brand he would get for his home. WIthout hesitation he told me Mitsubishi.

Samsung are trying to expand too rapidly and selling rubbish stuff they have no knowledge of.

Edited by RudieTheFoodie

Around 2 years ago I bought 6 Carrier inverter airconditioners and since then they have worked well with no leaks or problems. Note I run some of the units 24 hours.

My electric bill dropped way down compared to older airconditioners that I had before.

They had 7 year warranties and the newer (at that time) environmentally friendly freon (410?) - I could not find this combination elsewhere at the time.

Apparently Carrier invented modern airconditioning which inspired confidence also I see 7-11 uses Carrier ACs and I assume they know what they are doing.

From Wikipedia:

In Buffalo, New York, on July 17, 1902, in response to a quality problem experienced at the Sackett-Wilhelms Lithographing & Publishing Company of Brooklyn, Willis Carrier submitted drawings for what became recognized as the world's first modern air conditioning system. The 1902 installation marked the birth of air conditioning because of the addition of humidity control, which led to the recognition by authorities in the field that air conditioning must perform four basic functions:

1.) control temperature; 2.) control humidity; 3.) control air circulation and ventilation; 4.) cleanse the air.

After several more years of refinement and field testing, on January 2, 1906, Carrier was granted U.S. patent No. 808897 on his invention, which he called an "Apparatus for Treating Air," the world's first spray-type air conditioning equipment. It was designed to humidify or dehumidify air, heating water for the first and cooling it for the second.

In 1906, Carrier discovered that "constant dew-point depression provided practically constant relative humidity," which later became known among air conditioning engineers as the "law of constant dew-point depression." On this discovery he based the design of an automatic control system, for which he filed a patent claim on May 17, 1907. The patent, No. 1,085,971, was issued on February 3, 1914.

On December 3, 1911, Carrier presented the most significant and epochal document ever prepared on air conditioning – his "Rational Psychrometric Formulae" – at the annual meeting of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. It became known as the "Magna Carta of Psychrometrics." This document tied together the concepts of relative humidity, absolute humidity, and dew-point temperature, thus making it possible to design air-conditioning systems to precisely fit the requirements at hand.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

I am very happy with Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" Econo Air. Can run completely noiseless and still cool down (need to run for some five to ten minutes before efficient cooling, when on low noiseless speed). There are also an inverter type availble, about 50% more expencieve, but saves power (a small inverter model running every night, costs around 200-300 baht/month in electric). I have both types in my house, the inverters for bedrooms and non-inverters for rooms, where you may rarely use the aircon. Comes in several models, so you can find the right one to fit 35 sqm. - I use the smallest (inverter) model for aprox 22 sqm bedrooms and they always cools fine down on noiseless speed.

I have new Daikin inverter models in my condo. A friend has 4 older units (Fujitsu and Mitsubishi) in his condo of comparable size. My electric bill is 1/2 his so I am quite happy with the efficiency of the Daikins.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is the link:

There TWO diff. Mitsubishi's, one is made by Mitsubishi industrial - Very good but expensive, other Mitsubishi electric cheaper and not very good as Daikin or Panasonic..

• 1 month later...

Samsung is fixing 2 broken Aircons again today. This has to be about the 10th trip. All 4 are of different size and all have broken. Here is the error manual. We've seen 3 different messages. Geckos destroyed 2 circuit boards. Another has a chronic leak. I beg you, please don't buy Samsung inverters. The mechanics even said they are crap.

post-103222-13505325180809_thumb.jpg

post-103222-13505325353466_thumb.jpg

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

Just a note not really aircon specific.

LG is known for using the cheapest electronic parts possible.

That means lousy condensators, solder, wires, transformers etc.

They do it in all their products, phones excepted because the very small parts are moslty coming from the same factories anyway.

Ever opened LG and Samsung equipment? The difference is dramatic. I have seen it in fridges, flatscreen TV and monitors.

LG looks like it is quickly thrown together Samsung looks very clean, organized and well designed.

Studying the parts they use, LG by choosing the cheap parts will have overall a shorter live and need more repairs.

If you know electronics it is many times an easy fix, condensators are the culprit 95% of the time, but if you can not fix it yourself it will be many visits by repairman, who will fix it with inferior stuff again, repeating the cycle.

Samsung tv, monitor, phones, pads are great. When they start using mechanical parts, they have still a lot to learn as i also have troubles with samsung fridges and aircons.

Daikin has a big market in the professional segment, their consumer products get better because of that. Lots of experience.

Edited by Khun Jean

I see many different opinions here regarding size and inverter units. The main difference between non inverter and inverter units is that the inverter adjust power after need and the non inverter is on / off full power.

With an on/off unit it is best to be correctly adjusted to the room size. But an inverter version don't need to but i think there are other facts to consider.

It may be bigger than needed(Pricey). Quick cooling.

You should see how lo it can cool. With low cool effect you keep it stable cool in stead of it turning off.

Daikin has been a good choice for many years and has been more expensive, but many others brand has taken the marked with good quality units at a lower price. Mitsubishi has proven good in many tests.(Factory outside Pattaya) I would also think that daikin has felt this and maybe lowered their quality to compete with all the other brands.

The installation is crucial to get a air-con that runs for years without trouble.

- The indoor unit has to be at exact level to not get fan bearings problem.

- The pipe connections to be properly fitted to avoid leaks. Without damage it should never be necessary to refill a system.

- The pipe has to be cleaned properly, best is to flush with nitrogen before vacuum.

- The outdoor unit placed without direct sunlight, or at least a minimum.

- Connected to properly grounded outlet.

If done properly the only service you will need on the air-con is cleaning, and change batteries on the remote.

Many of the models or brands will be of good quality compared to price, but the installation is crucial to keep it running.

Yeah my house came "free" with an LG air con unit for my bedroom. I don't know the specs of the model but it can't make the room cold at all! However I have an LG front load washer and it is great!

I think I am going for a Mitsubishi Mr slim. Someone recommended about 22-24 BTU. Hope that works well.

• 4 months later...

I will be looking for an air con later this year, not an inverter just an ordinary model, but what size for my room? The room is 3.5m x 14.5m, I will look at either Mitsubishi or Samsung depending on the price. Today I went into Siam Thai the salesman said I would need 2 units which would produce me 29,900 btu, this seems a bit extreme to me and the cost I was quoted was 60000bts, anyone give me a steer on this please, from reading eatlier posts I am thinking that 18000btu would be enough.

18 000 BThUs is certainly too small. All the same there are many factors like insulation of walls and roof, etc etc that influence this. I have 18 000 in a 35M2 room and it is barely enough at present (which is why my next job is insulating the roof and walls).