Recommended Air Con Brands

I will be looking for an air con later this year, not an inverter just an ordinary model, but what size for my room? The room is 3.5m x 14.5m, I will look at either Mitsubishi or Samsung depending on the price. Today I went into Siam Thai the salesman said I would need 2 units which would produce me 29,900 btu, this seems a bit extreme to me and the cost I was quoted was 60000bts, anyone give me a steer on this please, from reading eatlier posts I am thinking that 18000btu would be enough.

You need around 7.2Kw of cooling power so around 24,000 Btu http://www.penguinaircon.com/index.php/Algarve-Air-Conditioning/btutable.html

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THanks for your thoughts firstly. Insulation well its a normal Thai smal brick job so not much there, on the plus side it does not get any sun after about 0930. So I should then be looking for a 24000btu unit? We are having security doors put in to make it more air con friendly and an extra door for the same reason, so as far as I can will have done all I can think for insulation and sealing the room for air con.

Would tend to go a bit higher in Thailand to say a 28,000 btu unit

So the salesman was not far off with 2 units to give me 29900 btu then? Ok well thanks for the input now I have to raise the funds and the exchange rate aint so good at the moment is it?

One problem is that an over powered unit is not desirable either. It will cut out when the temperature is down to the level you wanted before the humidity (which is what causes the discomfort) has been eliminated. Most units have a dehumidification button but who wants to use this all the time? In the end you just have to try it and see.

Just to follow up, the digital displays on all 4 Samsung aircons no longer work. One aircon has been broken since October. They keep ordering new parts that don't fix the problem. I've demanded a full replacement and they won't do it. Furious.

Get a larger unit. I use an 18,000 BTU for a room smaller than yours. It works great. I bought a Samsung S Inverter. Super quiet, and very efficient. Expensive, but worth it. Stay away from LG. Mitsus are good, but noisier. Daikins are good ones too. Clean your filter every two weeks, as it helps with efficiency.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Get a larger unit. I use an 18,000 BTU for a room smaller than yours. It works great. I bought a Samsung S Inverter. Super quiet, and very efficient. Expensive, but worth it. Stay away from LG. Mitsus are good, but noisier. Daikins are good ones too. Clean your filter every two weeks, as it helps with efficiency. Mike Macarelli Chaiyaphum, Thailand Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree, I got a new Samsung installed in my bedroom, it has a quiet button for night time, it whispers. Also has great filters, i never have throat or nose problems, even if on cool all night. It does need cleaning regularly , which is a good sign I think, as its keeping out the crap

18,000 BTU cost about B30,000 with 2 free clean and service