2013 Kawasaki Ninjette 250 Breaks Cover!

bbradsby

Kawasaki Japan have posted a minisite for the heavily face-lifted 2013 Ninjette 250. Some sexy bodywork & wheels, ABS, engine mods & fuel injection for a bit more power, an added 2 kilos of lard to make it ±15 kilos heavier than the CFR-250.... and disappointingly, still no upside down forks on a sportbike!

post-111479-0-57749100-1343973505_thumb.

Kawasaki Japan’s mini-site: http://www.kawasaki-...13_ex250lm.html

Bikerpoint reports: "both the crankcase and pistons are new, the cylinders are now die-cast, the frame is new and that ABS is optional. Fuel-injection is included.

It’s also evident that there’s (very nice looking) new wheels and extensive aerodynamic work has been carried out on the fairing. Expect excellent fuel economy and strong performance. The Ninja 250 was already more powerful than the Honda CBR250R, Kawasaki will likely emphasize that performance gap with this new model.

The current model weighs 375lbs (wet), this new one is 379 without ABS. The CBR250 is 357lbs (wet).

Sadly, it appears that, despite the heavily revised frame, motor and fairings, this is yet another facelift to a bike that’s been around largely unaltered since 1985 rather than an all-new model."

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to point out that the ABS version of the CBR is 165kg wet; if the specs are true than Kawasaki's engineers managed a hell of a job getting the ABS weight down to only 1/2 of what Honda requires. I can't believe the balancing valves/solenoids for the Combi part of the CBR's weigh the difference between the two.

Will Kawasaki finally approach their 33 bhp claims (best dynos of stock bikes have it at less than 20% of that at RWHP)? If on the other hand they are going to focus more on low and midrange torque (as suggested here), and not without precedence as the current gen gave up total HP and focused on exactly that, seems as if Honda got it right with their CBR.

PS.

Why can manufacturers give great looking plastic, hi-tech looking dashboards, and spiffy wheels yet have what looks like an afterthought, tacked on swingarm? I realise that cost cutting measures have to be in place, but holy batman that sure is odd looking. Go with a twin tube a la Kawi's 650s. Go with a stamped piece like motogp. Anything other than a weedy looking box tube swingarm people!

I'd like to point out that the ABS version of the CBR is 165kg wet; if the specs are true than Kawasaki's engineers managed a hell of a job getting the ABS weight down to only 1/2 of what Honda requires. I can't believe the balancing valves/solenoids for the Combi part of the CBR's weigh the difference between the two.

Will Kawasaki finally approach their 33 bhp claims (best dynos of stock bikes have it at less than 20% of that at RWHP)? If on the other hand they are going to focus more on low and midrange torque (as suggested here), and not without precedence as the current gen gave up total HP and focused on exactly that, seems as if Honda got it right with their CBR.

PS.

Why can manufacturers give great looking plastic, hi-tech looking dashboards, and spiffy wheels yet have what looks like an afterthought, tacked on swingarm? I realise that cost cutting measures have to be in place, but holy batman that sure is odd looking. Go with a twin tube a la Kawi's 650s. Go with a stamped piece like motogp. Anything other than a weedy looking box tube swingarm people!

Got to admit, that exhaust is sure better than the "blunderbuss" the CBR has...biggrin.png, and it sure is a looker...

PS.

Dave you know the Honda CBR250R is 165kg wet, the new Kawasaki Ninja 250R with ABS is 174kg

PS.

Dave you know the Honda CBR250R is 165kg wet, the new Kawasaki Ninja 250R with ABS is 174kg

I was commenting on the fact that ABS CBR is 4kg heavier than the non-ABS. The ABS Ninja is currently claimed to be only 2kg heavier than the non-ABS. Hence, Kawasaki was able to make their ABS system in 1/2 the weight that Honda did. Whether this is through ABS pieces being left on non-ABS bikes (doubtful) or smart engineering I don't know.

I'm more surprised nobody caught my flub...it's supposed to say "at less than 80% of that at RWHP" in my original post...sorry for that.

PS.

I was commenting on the fact that ABS CBR is 4kg heavier than the non-ABS. The ABS Ninja is currently claimed to be only 2kg heavier than the non-ABS. Hence, Kawasaki was able to make their ABS system in 1/2 the weight that Honda did. Whether this is through ABS pieces being left on non-ABS bikes (doubtful) or smart engineering I don't know.

I'm more surprised nobody caught my flub...it's supposed to say "at less than 80% of that at RWHP" in my original post...sorry for that.

You can lighten up the none-ABS Honda CBR250R by using simple brake-lines and get rid of some wiring in the loom (bad idea). Officially the Honda CBR250R without ABS is a EOL product, Honda will run with it for 1 maybe 2 years and drop it. And have a relatively inexpensive upgrade kit available for the old none-ABS models.... Also the ABS system on the Kawasaki is not really comparable to the Electronic-Combi-ABS on the CBR250R... but that is a something for another discussion.

Basically we can call all Honda CBR250R's around the world Electronical-Combi-ABS ready, something I'm not sure is the case with the Kawasaki (but I not see the bike so I not really can say...)

24 August I get to ride a new Ninja 250R so I need to wait until then to really comment on the bike

Edited by Richard-BKK

I not really understand what all the fuss is about, I'm more a bit worried – normally when Kawasaki reveals a new model in a country it's manufactured in that country. As the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R was launched in Indonesia it would fuel the rumors that the sales and production performance in Thailand is not as expected. So Indonesia is the second manufacturing hub or Kawasaki Indonesia is the new production facility, it makes more sense as the Indonesia Kawasaki factory is 100% a 50/50-Bajaj/Kawasaki cooperation, the sale of the Ninja 250R is setting records in India...

So we can expect the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R to get a bit higher in price...

You can lighten up the none-ABS Honda CBR250R by using simple brake-lines and get rid of some wiring in the loom (bad idea). Officially the Honda CBR250R without ABS is a EOL product, Honda will run with it for 1 maybe 2 years and drop it. And have a relatively inexpensive upgrade kit available for the old none-ABS models.... Also the ABS system on the Kawasaki is not really comparable to the Electronic-Combi-ABS on the CBR250R... but that is a something for another discussion.

Basically we can call all Honda CBR250R's around the world Electronical-Combi-ABS ready, something I'm not sure is the case with the Kawasaki (but I not see the bike so I not really can say...)

24 August I get to ride a new Ninja 250R so I need to wait until then to really comment on the bike

I don't really care that with stripping out certain parts you can make the CBR lighter; that's a foregone conclusion. The engineering prowess behind coming up with a system 1/2 the weight deserves kudos. Also; a balancing valve that would bleed part of the pressure into the front system and the 100 gram (?) sensor are not equal to the weight difference.

I not really understand what all the fuss is about, I'm more a bit worried – normally when Kawasaki reveals a new model in a country it's manufactured in that country. As the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R was launched in Indonesia it would fuel the rumors that the sales and production performance in Thailand is not as expected. So Indonesia is the second manufacturing hub or Kawasaki Indonesia is the new production facility, it makes more sense as the Indonesia Kawasaki factory is 100% a 50/50-Bajaj/Kawasaki cooperation, the sale of the Ninja 250R is setting records in India...

The only record that the Ninja 250R set in India was being the first multicylinder bike to sell more than 1000 units...and that took them 24 months.coffee1.gif Meanwhile Bajaj sold some 65 000 000 bikes in the same time period...the stupid expensive pricing has a lot to do with the Ninja's low sales volume.

As far as not knowing what the fuss is about, new versions of bikes (or better new models) are always going to be something to talk about. Granted these bikes are not on Ducati level, but they are good for us common folks.

Sorry for sharing your rarefied air....blink.png

I don't really care that with stripping out certain parts you can make the CBR lighter; that's a foregone conclusion. The engineering prowess behind coming up with a system 1/2 the weight deserves kudos. Also; a balancing valve that would bleed part of the pressure into the front system and the 100 gram (?) sensor are not equal to the weight difference.

The only record that the Ninja 250R set in India was being the first multicylinder bike to sell more than 1000 units...and that took them 24 months.coffee1.gif Meanwhile Bajaj sold some 65 000 000 bikes in the same time period...the stupid expensive pricing has a lot to do with the Ninja's low sales volume.

As far as not knowing what the fuss is about, new versions of bikes (or better new models) are always going to be something to talk about. Granted these bikes are not on Ducati level, but they are good for us common folks.

Sorry for sharing your rarefied air....blink.png

You see Bajaj Auto as only an Indian partner of Kawasaki, you need to see things a bit bigger, Bajaj controls almost equal shares in Kawasaki motorcycles as KHI (Kawasaki Heavy Industry).

In Thailand Bajaj, and KHI have a few more partners, making it sometimes difficult to agree on global benefits, Bajaj/KHI want to sell it's Thai made motorcycles as cheap as possible for export... but the Thai share holders see this different. In Indonesia Baja Auto is 100% owner of the factory, actually Bajaj has many factories in Indonesia...

Anyway the 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R was introduced in Thailand, as it was produced there... And any other Kawasaki is introduced sees its light in the country it's produced.... I didn't create this, I not even like this, I only tell this as it's 90% the truth....

Sure it's likely that Kawasaki Thailand will still produce the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, as a second facility. But the numbers sold in Thailand and the restrictions by the Thai government on motor vehicles produced in Thailand will maybe just create to much paperwork....

Again I'm guessing, but most of the time... introduction country is production country for Kawasaki

Judging by some of the posts it looks like Google has had a busy evening laugh.png . Personally, I think the update looks pretty sharp. As for the styling being lifted from another bike, well, you don`t have to look hard to find similarities among a plethora of modern sports style bikes.

yes, but i have to get back pack ever time i go out, sometimes i am not planning, i just want to hang bags on the throttle bars, but i guess that is not possible

its not pretty but you can hang tesco bags on the mirrors and also the handlebars but no sharp turning if you do this

i like it !!!

the only problem i see is how to bring my bag of food from tesco? sad.png I dont want to buy a scooter to do just that and have 2 bikes sad.png

Don't let the occassional shopping trip stop you from buying the bike you want! Plan when you do your shopping and get a taxi/tuk-tuk/hire a scooter to do it then get the bike you want.

I am doing shopping with scooter, rented, but i saw it was scrathced, from something I carried inside my bags, so that is the big problem, my bike being scratched because of tesco bags and some items inside,

is it possible to put a customized bar on my bike with some hooks where to hang bags?

I really hate going with a rugsack to tesco each time, i buy local anyway

Head for the mountains or strap on some different sprockets and nitrous if you feel the need for some G's. Get soft panniers & a tank bag for grocery hauling tonnage. I love litrebike power but do hafta say these lil 250's may be the perfect fit for Thailand's small roadway clearances, closely-spaced petrol outlets (i.e., every half-kM in cities, and at every village store), tight traffic, and race tracks with comically-short straights.

I am doing shopping with scooter, rented, but i saw it was scrathced, from something I carried inside my bags, so that is the big problem, my bike being scratched because of tesco bags and some items inside,

is it possible to put a customized bar on my bike with some hooks where to hang bags?

I really hate going with a rugsack to tesco each time, i buy local anyway

Get some throwover sportbike panniers, they don`t have much depth and follow the line of the seat so they don`t end up in the wheel. I`ve used expandable ones and they hold a fair amount of stuff and also look OK.

Head for the mountains or strap on some different sprockets and nitrous if you feel the need for some G's. Get soft panniers & a tank bag for grocery hauling tonnage. I love litrebike power but do hafta say these lil 250's may be the perfect fit for Thailand's small roadway clearances, closely-spaced petrol outlets (i.e., every half-kM in cities, and at every village store), tight traffic, and race tracks with comically-short straights.

Totally agree, I love my Ninja in BKK traffic and now that it's 4 years old i don't need to worry about parking scratches here and there, i've had my moneys worth already. I have a 600 supersport as well but the 250 rules in BKK. A tank bag if I need to shop is as bad as it gets, no heat off the engine, faster than most cars, bullet proof, good looking in comparison to the competition, don't see them lined up at every traffic light with a box full of veg strapped to the pillion seat ala the cbr - all round a great bike.

The new model looks even better. It wont be popular on TV of course, same as the er6n thread is massive in comparison to the Ducati Monster 795 thread. It's a reflection of the demographic of the forum, not the bike. This 2013 model looks fantastic IMO.

Embarrassing.

OTT design for posers. sad.png

A 100 pony 600cc-er, cool, a piddly 20 something at the wheel-er 250, embarrassing.

Might as well get an old Toyota MR2 and put on the Ferrari 355 Bodykit. biggrin.png

Looking forward to the specs, are they going to give it even less top-end power in order to match the CBR250R's torque?

Edited by EmptyBasementBin

new 2013 Ninja 250 specification

Engine type : 4 stroke, liquid cooled, parallel twin

Cylinder size : 249 cm3

Bore x Stroke : 62.0 x 41.2 mm

Compression ratio : 11.3 : 1

Max power : 23.5 kW (32 PS) / 11.000 rpm

Max torque : 21.0 Nm {2.1 kgf m} /10.000 rpm

Starter system : Electric Starter

Valve sytem : DOHC, 8 valves

Ignition : Digital

Fuel system : Fuel Injection System ( 28 mm x 2 ) with dual butterfly valve

Transmission : 6-speed, return shift

Frame: tube diamond, steel

Front suspension: 37 mm telescopic fork

Rear suspension: Uni-Trak with 5 preload

Front tyre: 110/70-17 M/C (54S)

Rear tyre: 140/70-17 M/C (66S)

Front brake: Single disc 290 mm diameter with dual-piston caliper

Rear brake: Single disc 220 mm diameter with dual-piston caliper

Length x width x height : 2.010 x 715 x 1.110 mm

Wheel axis length : 1.400 mm

Ground clearance : 785 mm

Fuel capacity : 17 litres

Max weight : 172 kg / 174 kg ( ABS model)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=540622&postcount=308

First 3 laps TmcBlog tried to get the topspeed of each gear on straight.. From the south end to the north end.. The speed started from about 20 km/h at first gear.. WOT until redline and got:

1st gear up to 45 km/h

2nd gear up to 75 km/h

3rd gear up to 90 km/h

4rd gear up to 120 km/h

5th gear up to 150 km/h

that link refers to it being built in Thailand, so maybe they can compete on price with the CBR250.Though converting from Indo Rupiah to THB it is 166k. It certainly is a better looking bike than the CBR but how much extra is it worth over a CBR? About the same torque as the CBR but 3,000 rpm higher.

i see myself for over 170 for it in no time

Can you translate that?

You're over 170kg?

You think it will get to 170kph in no time?

You think the price will be over 170k thb?

ha ha ha

i meant to wrote "see myself fork over 170k

means I am ok with the price of 170000 bht

I weigh 93 kilos, imagine a 170 kilo guy riding ninjette