2013 Kawasaki Ninjette 250 Breaks Cover!

bbradsby

FWIW, I've had my '08 up over 160 GPS verified...but that took some time down AH1 with my plumpness on it.

Even more interesting is the dyno I found. Attached below it looks promising HP-wise as it seems to meet the carb'd model and bests the few EFI dynos I could find. Torque is up a bit (13.07 translated to real ft-lb units) and it seems to be ramp up a lot better and trail off much more gracefully.

61132d1344328702-2013-kawasaki-ninja-250r-revealed-dyno_ninja250efi.jpg

36378d1294674516-will-cbr-250r-kill-ninja-250r-sales-dyno.jpg

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, I'm a bit late getting in on this thread. But I saw the specs and it has a out 10-12 more HP than the CBR250R. Is that going to make any sort of considerable difference in terms of how many seconds is takes say to go from 0-100km/h? I think the CBR250R takes about 8 seconds, which isn't impressive at all. Should we expect much different from this new Ninja? You would think with 2 cylinders and 50% more HP it would be considerably peppier than the CBR250R, but maybe not. I imagine it also has something to do with how the bike is chipped and mapped and if you put on an aftermarket slip on you will probably see a bit of drop in low end torque as well.

By the way, are there any new Ninja 250 demo bikes available to try out at Real Motorsports yet? I was up there the other day looking at the new Ninja 650 (the matt black color is horrid by the way) and I forgot to take a look at the 250.

Sorry, I'm a bit late getting in on this thread. But I saw the specs and it has a out 10-12 more HP than the CBR250R. Is that going to make any sort of considerable difference in terms of how many seconds is takes say to go from 0-100km/h? I think the CBR250R takes about 8 seconds, which isn't impressive at all. Should we expect much different from this new Ninja? You would think with 2 cylinders and 50% more HP it would be considerably peppier than the CBR250R, but maybe not. I imagine it also has something to do with how the bike is chipped and mapped and if you put on an aftermarket slip on you will probably see a bit of drop in low end torque as well.

By the way, are there any new Ninja 250 demo bikes available to try out at Real Motorsports yet? I was up there the other day looking at the new Ninja 650 (the matt black color is horrid by the way) and I forgot to take a look at the 250.

yep it'll have an affect on 0-100km times, in a drag race the old Ninja 250 already beats the CBR 250, the newer Ninja should do a better job of it.

The CBR 250 TPS (throttle positioning system) is adjusted from the factory to be really sensitive.

Edited by KRS1

Did you look at the dynos in the post before yours? While not as bad as some of the older bikes (NSR 150, I'm looking at you!), Kawasaki has quite a bit more HP claimed for the bike than is delivered to the rear wheel. Also, in the 0-100 times that have been posted on youtube, in addition to the BIRA race, the current-gen Ninja will not accelerate as fast to 100 as the CBR. Above that it outperforms it fairly handily though.

The new Ninja will perform similarly to the CBR in the drag races now due to the increased torque, assuming Kawasaki has not messed with the gearing.

Hmmm. Thanks for that. Originally I was thinking of buying one if it would be a lot quicker off the line than my CBR250R. But sadly it doesn't sound like it will be. Maybe I need to test drive one to be sure how it really performs as you can't place everything on pure specs of course.

Buying a Ninja 650 would obviously solve my problem. 0-100 in about 3.5 seconds. But I've gone down to the dealer twice with the intention of buying one and both times walked out the door without pulling the trigger. I've driven them and I've sat on a 2011, 2012, and most recently the 2013. Each time I get no wood. I've come to the simple conclusion you can't buy a bike that doesn't give you wood from the start as you are less likely to grow more attached to it. And strangely enough every time I leave the dealer I get back on my CBR250R and feel like I'm back home on the bike I love. Strange that. Well, I guess either I'm a Honda man, a sport bike man, or both.

Well, maybe one day they will make a 400cc or bigger sport bike in Thailand. Sadly it probably won't happen within my lifetime.

Did you look at the dynos in the post before yours? While not as bad as some of the older bikes (NSR 150, I'm looking at you!), Kawasaki has quite a bit more HP claimed for the bike than is delivered to the rear wheel. Also, in the 0-100 times that have been posted on youtube, in addition to the BIRA race, the current-gen Ninja will not accelerate as fast to 100 as the CBR. Above that it outperforms it fairly handily though.

The new Ninja will perform similarly to the CBR in the drag races now due to the increased torque, assuming Kawasaki has not messed with the gearing.

0-100 numbers are easily manipulated with sprocket sizing. If the Ninja walks away after that 100, that speaks to more horses and/or less wind drag at speed. What is the NSR reference stating? Honda fudged their numbers in their publications? Dyno numbers are at the rear wheel; manufacturer's numbers are at the crankshaft... apples vs. oranges. Anyway, the lil NSR-150 kills the CBR/Ninjette 250's on power and power to weight ratios. Just sayin tongue.png

0-100 numbers are easily manipulated with sprocket sizing. If the Ninja walks away after that 100, that speaks to more horses and/or less wind drag at speed. What is the NSR reference stating? Honda fudged their numbers in their publications? Dyno numbers are at the rear wheel; manufacturer's numbers are at the crankshaft... apples vs. oranges. Anyway, the lil NSR-150 kills the CBR/Ninjette 250's on power and power to weight ratios. Just sayin tongue.png

And all the talk was stock numbers. You know that 0-100 times can be easily manipulated with NOS, a turbo, or an engine transplant also? The big reason that the Ninja does so well at higher speed is the realtively short gearing and the good RPM range. It's current competitor relies on longer gearing and a smaller RPM range.

In regards to the NSR; Honda claimed a ridiculous 39 HP. In reality you were looking at 29 HP. Compared to real world dynos, you see a +25,6% for the NSR and +25,8% for the Ninja in what Honda and Kawasaki claim(ed) and it's rather interesting that Honda claims 26 BHP and users are dynoing their CBR 250's which suggests a driveline loss of ~9,6%. Perhaps Honda makes much more efficient gears, oils, and chains?rolleyes.gif

But yeah, the NSR is definitely the winner of the power/weight category...but isn't the newest one like still 10 years old?

...But yeah, the NSR is definitely the winner of the power/weight category...but isn't the newest one like still 10 years old?

ya, their antiques at this point - which makes is all the more impressive that, even today, they can spank the current model of 250 pigs!

hmmm, a nitros-charged NSR tongue.png what a great idea for a winter project... or an IED. But boy would it be fun while it lasted! But in the never-ending search for more power in small bikes, the Big 4 are slowly helping us out by producing incrementally larger bikes assembled in LoS. Now there's a Kawi leak about a Z-800 quasi-naked (why are Kawi so afraid of a true naked bike - all their designers have Transformer fetishes lingering from their childhood three years ago?) four-cylinder being made here. Strap on some Nitrous to that and let the good times roll, baby!

really not sure who these bikes are geared for ? if they looked more like the er6 , fair enough, good bike for a noob but trying to make it look like like a zx10....<deleted> is that all about , just makes the owner look like a tool imo rolleyes.gif

How about people who have a bigger bike for weekend blasts out of the city, but don't really enjoy riding a true supersport through BKK traffic jams? A little 250 is a nice addition and good fun in the city. These bikes do 0-100kph in under 6 seconds so while they're slow compared to bigger bikes, they're still faster than 90% of traffic on the roads here. Not sure what's wrong with a 250cc bike that has a similar 0-100kph time as a Subaru Impreza having decent styling? You can always buy a Kawasaki GTO if you prefer that style of bike...

really not sure who these bikes are geared for ? if they looked more like the er6 , fair enough, good bike for a noob but trying to make it look like like a zx10....<deleted> is that all about , just makes the owner look like a tool imo rolleyes.gif

How about people who have a bigger bike for weekend blasts out of the city, but don't really enjoy riding a true supersport through BKK traffic jams? A little 250 is a nice addition and good fun in the city. These bikes do 0-100kph in under 6 seconds so while they're slow compared to bigger bikes, they're still faster than 90% of traffic on the roads here. Not sure what's wrong with a 250cc bike that has a similar 0-100kph time as a Subaru Impreza having decent styling? You can always buy a Kawasaki GTO if you prefer that style of bike...

I read the OP as an attack on the styling. While both manufacturers have awesome bikes for the city, neither are 'supersports'. Yes, both are geared to beat essentially all traffic you'll see in the city; go out on the highway and try and out accelerate even a Vigo at greater than 100 km and see how that goes. That's what I consider a supersport; being able to dominate at all speeds.

Kawasaki fairing up a bike to evoke their real supersports should get some derision from those who care about looks. Losing to the cheaper (as Tony so gleefully calls it) CB"r" in the city and, due to lack of displacement, to a not that much more expensive used ER-6* on the open road sure belies the plastic wrapping the bike.

Personally I don't care about naming or superfluous design (if the fairings provide coverage and are not terribly hideous, than I can live with it). The underlying mechanical specifications interest me. To butcher the Bard, "Would a Ninja in any other fairing be less of a bike?".

I read the OP as an attack on the styling. While both manufacturers have awesome bikes for the city, neither are 'supersports'. Yes, both are geared to beat essentially all traffic you'll see in the city; go out on the highway and try and out accelerate even a Vigo at greater than 100 km and see how that goes. That's what I consider a supersport; being able to dominate at all speeds.

Kawasaki fairing up a bike to evoke their real supersports should get some derision from those who care about looks. Losing to the cheaper (as Tony so gleefully calls it) CB"r" in the city and, due to lack of displacement, to a not that much more expensive used ER-6* on the open road sure belies the plastic wrapping the bike.

Personally I don't care about naming or superfluous design (if the fairings provide coverage and are not terribly hideous, than I can live with it). The underlying mechanical specifications interest me. To butcher the Bard, "Would a Ninja in any other fairing be less of a bike?".

I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean the Ninja 250 is a true supersport - I mean my other bike is a GSXR 600 (which is a true supersport) and it sucks in Bangkok traffic so I prefer to use it for weekend blasts and use the 250 Ninja in traffic. I'd prefer it looked good and see nothing wrong with it taking it's styling from the ZX10. At 165 kph the fairings are not superfluous.

I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean the Ninja 250 is a true supersport - I mean my other bike is a GSXR 600 (which is a true supersport) and it sucks in Bangkok traffic so I prefer to use it for weekend blasts and use the 250 Ninja in traffic. I'd prefer it looked good and see nothing wrong with it taking it's styling from the ZX10. At 165 kph the fairings are not superfluous.

I think there is a bit of a disconnect here; I was attempting to point out that for the OP, the ZX10 fairings on a non-supersport is as silly as the CBR name is to Tony. Furthermore I was not dismissing the fairings all together, just stating that I don't much care what they look like as long as they do their job.

And the Ninja does do a good job in the city, in case I did not make that clear. I still think the 150 class, which are basically bicycles with engines attached for all their width and weight, do a better job, but they also are not as versatile as the current 250 class either...especially for us bigger foreigners.

Agree, trying too hard to look like something it isn't.

The irony...

What irony????

1. He's hehehoho, banned multiple times for spamming the CBR250, back again pretending to be a new user so the mods don't ban him yet again for spamming the CBR250.

2. The CBR250 which he constantly plugs is a sensible, fuel efficient, easy to ride commuter bike that looks like a sportsbike.

The CBR250 which he constantly plugs is a sensible, fuel efficient, easy to ride commuter bike that looks like a sportsbike.

I think you're confusing me with someone. :)

You think it looks like a sportsbike?... I think it looks like a mini-sports tourer. I'm pretty sure it was designed to look like a mini-sports tourer too. (VFR1200)

• Like 1

I suspect the Thais and posers will love it!

Thais will buy it if the price is OK. And real posers buy a supersport thumbsup.gif

I think most Thais and posers would buy a lookalike version that's 1/4 (?) of the price, but could almost pass for the real thing... That it's a bit of a dog performance wise probably wouldn't matter.

Edited by siampreggers

The CBR250 which he constantly plugs is a sensible, fuel efficient, easy to ride commuter bike that looks like a sportsbike.

I think you're confusing me with someone. smile.png

You think it looks like a sportsbike?... I think it looks like a mini-sports tourer. I'm pretty sure it was designed to look like a mini-sports tourer too. (VFR1200)

Possibly, it looks like a dogs dinner to me so who knows what the designers were thinking. Either way, the CBR250 is no more a VFR1200 than a Ninja 250 is a ZX10. So what was exactly was your point again?

I just felt that your view of the CBR250R as looking like sportsbike was a bit odd.

Given that the CBR250R was designed as a mini-sports-tourer in the vein of the VFR1200, and performs as such. Excellent useable torque instead of a spikey powerband.

The CBR250R looks like the practical mini-sports-tourer it is IMO, but you think the CBR250R looks like sportsbike. Fair enough as we've all opinions, I found it a bit odd tbh. :)

ya, their antiques at this point - which makes is all the more impressive that, even today, they can spank the current model of 250 pigs!

Yes having grown up racing two strokes many times I have thought

how cool it would be if the Big 4 could ever bring them back.

That power coupled with todays newer chassis,suspension,handling

Because in the old days a 500 & even some of the smaller two strokse was actually too much power

for the handling available in those frames & suspension etc.

The two strokes bikes were not only the ultimate in power to weight

ratios but they also had a simple elegance/beauty. Yeah they had faults

noise & the ability to seize if run at the highest levels. But for sheer grin factor

hard to beat.

I know due to EPA regs it would never happen but still.

Sorry for going off topic but

Reading your post reminded me

Edited by mania

I just felt that your view of the CBR250R as looking like sportsbike was a bit odd.

Given that the CBR250R was designed as a mini-sports-tourer in the vein of the VFR1200, and performs as such. Excellent useable torque instead of a spikey powerband.

The CBR250R looks like the practical mini-sports-tourer it is IMO, but you think the CBR250R looks like sportsbike. Fair enough as we've all opinions, I found it a bit odd tbh. :)

You can not get better value for a bike here than the CBR250, it is quick as <deleted> if you open it up, with out doubt the best bike in Thailand you do not need anything bigger, this bike is fast enough for this country, absolutely love it!!

The CBR250R looks like the practical mini-sports-tourer it is IMO, but you think the CBR250R looks like sportsbike. Fair enough as we've all opinions, I found it a bit odd tbh. smile.png

No problem. You said that the Ninja 250R following the design of the ZX10 was just 'trying too hard to be something that it isn't'. Then you went on to say that the CBR250 follows the design of the VFR1200, but that's fine apparently despite it being absolutely nothing like the VFR1200 in terms of engine size, engine design or overall performance.

I would have said that I found this obvious double standard to be a bit odd, if I didn't know that you are about the 10th incarnation of hehehoho (the professional CBR250 spammer) but hey that's fine, we've all got to earn a buck somehow.

The CBR250R looks like the practical mini-sports-tourer it is IMO, but you think the CBR250R looks like sportsbike. Fair enough as we've all opinions, I found it a bit odd tbh. smile.png

You can not get better value for a bike here than the CBR250, it is quick as <deleted> if you open it up, with out doubt the best bike in Thailand you do not need anything bigger, this bike is fast enough for this country, absolutely love it!!

I'd agree the CBR250 is a good value bike and certainly suitable for the potholed and dangerous roads of Phuket. Once you get onto the well maintained highways and twisties outside of Phuket it's nice to have a bit more than 22hp sometimes.

Edited by JonnyF

I'd agree the CBR250 is a good value bike and certainly suitable for the potholed and dangerous roads of Phuket. Once you get onto the well maintained highways and twisties outside of Phuket it's nice to have a bit more than 22hp sometimes.

Well I am betting the 250 will beat most bigger bikes on the twisties, As for having a bit more is 150kph not fast enough here!! The CBR is very quick away and will be very quick up to it's top speed, it's fast enough for this country in my opinion.

Well maintained highways where is this then? I drive up to Cha Am quite a lot and the highway is awful, big holes and big stretches of road that would not look out of place in a farmyard!!

Edited by kawapower

Well I am betting the 250 will beat most bigger bikes on the twisties, As for having a bit more is 150kph not fast enough here!! The CBR is very quick away and will be very quick up to it's top speed, it's fast enough for this country in my opinion.

No worries, I'm not really talking about racing or beating other bikes, I just find overtaking at those speeds or above is a lot safer on a bigger bike as you're out in the 'danger zone' for less time. I find the bigger bikes to be more stable and comfortable at the 150,160,170 mark as well, especially if you're sitting at those speeds for hours on end. It depends where your ride really but for Phuket I'd agree 250 is plenty.

Well maintained highways where is this then? I drive up to Cha Am quite a lot and the highway is awful, big holes and big stretches of road that would not look out of place in a farmyard!!

Yeah the stretch from Phuket to Hua Hin is pretty awful. I lived in Phuket for 2 years and there's a semi decent route to Ranong and a semi decent route to Trang but nothing special IMO. There might be some good roads down south but I've not really seen many.

I'm talking about north of Bangkok, around Khao Yai, Wang Nam Khieo etc. Or further up near Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan etc. is where the good stuff is. You can certainly use a bigger bike up there.