Newbies To Thaivisa.......

theblether

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep there is a wide spectrum who post on Tvisa

I think the simplest way to describe one major differentiating factor:

Some will post that the newbie should read all the information on his topic before asking a question that has been repeated many times

Others will provide a link to the relevant information

There in lies the difference

• Like 2

I prefer a more touchy feely approach. If someone asks a question and you know the answer, answer her. Links are so 2011.

Doesn't work for questions where there are many options.........and the newbie will choose one based on their knowledge of their situation

Unless you want pen an essay explaining all the possible variations of response

I prefer a more touchy feely approach. If someone asks a question and you know the answer, answer her. Links are so 2011.

If you know the answer, I fully agree, answer the question.

But this doesn't actually mean you know the answer, it just means you think you do.

Often proven wrong!!

Links give supporting documents.

If you know the answer, I fully agree, answer the question.

But this doesn't actually mean you know the answer, it just means you think you do.

Often proven wrong!!

Links give supporting documents.

Links don't usually prove anything. You can find a link to support almost any argument. At its best a discussion forum is about discussion and original thought, not a link throwing pissing contest.

Yes. What i mean is. The troll feeder aka the 'newbie bully' are the worst.

They always resort to such tactics whereby a new comer sincerely have a genuine question to ask. And they fired back by labelling the newbie as a troll..

Feel free to report this when you see it. IMO the troll callers are as bad as trolls themselves, and I don't let it go if I see it.

• Like 1

I fully agree and would like to add that if someone does not want to answer the question, he should just not answer at all.

As links came up: They may be useful in addition to a short answer. And also, an answer may not be complete with all possible cases, but the one who asked can refine his question... it's called a dialogue.

I second that theblether....mind you might have bought me a beer upstairs....rather than me quaffing in the biz lounge....I'm down to my last 80 Baht here ya know...biggrin.png

Hmmm, let me contemplate that for a moment coffee1.gif

Buy Smokie a beer, or drink free beer in the Biz lounge.......hmmm, that's a no brainer really biggrin.pngdrunk.gif

We now have the bizarre situation of theblether trying to sneak Smokie into the Emirates lounge and failing, and Smokie trying to sneak theblether into the Thai Biz lounge and failing......so we're 40 yards apart drinking by ourselves and talking to each other on the internet.......I would rather that than waste money buying you a beer upstairs!!! Remember I'm Scottish!! laugh.png

Happy landing, both of you.

• Like 1

Does the OP actually live here in Thailand?

What does that matter? He is a frequent visitor and obviously loves the place. I had the pleasure of meeting theblether and Smokie on their recent tour and they are both some of the nicest people that you could meet.

As for bashing newbies, I am all for it if they say something that I don't like ( tongue.png ), but asking pertinent questions that have been asked before does not bother me in the least as at least I know the answer for a change.

I think you've just opened the door for another much needed thread on the question of the term farang being racist w00t.gif

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of links.........could someone please explain or direct me to "how to put a link in your post".

I find it very helpful when other members have directed me to other links when I've asked questions, but I do not know how to do it myself.

Cheers.

Bearing in mind a new poster will not understand the search system

With the new set up can't search back more than a couple of years

Things change all the time

There's a search system? Is that really what they call it?

While we're on the subject of links.........could someone please explain or direct me to "how to put a link in your post".

I find it very helpful when other members have directed me to other links when I've asked questions, but I do not know how to do it myself.

Cheers.

Copy the link from the address bar. Paste the link into the text box.

If you want to link to a specific post, then click the post number on the top right of the post. This will put a link to the specific post in the address bar which you can then copy and paste.

Have a safe flight you blethering idiot. thumbsup.gif

I think that's what nervoussurgeon meant when he said "stop winging"

Stay inside the plane! Don't go out there, even if you're gasping for a cigarette!

You're not Ormer Locklear

Let's hope that's a timely reminder, and we see less winging on this forum in the future

SC

Have a safe flight you blethering idiot. thumbsup.gif

I think that's what nervoussurgeon meant when he said "stop winging"

Stay inside the plane! Don't go out there, even if you're gasping for a cigarette!

You're not Ormer Locklear

Let's hope that's a timely reminder, and we see less winging on this forum in the future

SC

I regard being called a blethering idiot as a compliment biggrin.png

Does the OP actually live here in Thailand?

What does that matter? He is a frequent visitor and obviously loves the place. I had the pleasure of meeting theblether and Smokie on their recent tour and they are both some of the nicest people that you could meet.

As for bashing newbies, I am all for it if they say something that I don't like ( tongue.png ), but asking pertinent questions that have been asked before does not bother me in the least as at least I know the answer for a change.

I imagine quite a lot of our readership don't live in Thailand; if they lived in Thailand, they wouldn't need to come here to get their questions answered. Some may be considering whether to move to Thailand, and benefit from the threads comparing Chiang Mai and Chennai. I imagine a lot of the threads on the trials and tribulations of getting mail order brides into australia are started by people who don't live in Thailand - unless they're looking for a trial separation...

SC

• Like 1

Hang around alittle longer Rik. You will definately feel the wrath of some of the flamers here. Sooner or later. lol

Depends on your point of view, is it wrath, or vitriol brought on by a lack of self esteem?

Definitely the latter.

• Like 1

Cheers.

Copy the link from the address bar. Paste the link into the text box.

If you want to link to a specific post, then click the post number on the top right of the post. This will put a link to the specific post in the address bar which you can then copy and paste.

Thanks whybother.......will give it a go, still all thumbs when it comes to the tricky bits on these toys.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to post these thoughts regarding interaction with newbies Blether. I agree wholeheartedly.

It is easy to be civil and polite and it is just as easy to be to disagree with someone and still be civil. There are plenty of posters on here who disagree with someone else without resorting to personal insults and mockery.

TV is a great place for discussion and for information. The more and varied people that join in the discussions the better.

Surely newbies can be given some naive questions? We have all been newbies and most likely posted similar things.

Being a constant bully just detracts from the forum and keeps newbies and regular posters alike from posting.

Thanks for taking the time to post these thoughts regarding interaction with newbies Blether. I agree wholeheartedly.

It is easy to be civil and polite and it is just as easy to be to disagree with someone and still be civil. There are plenty of posters on here who disagree with someone else without resorting to personal insults and mockery.

TV is a great place for discussion and for information. The more and varied people that join in the discussions the better.

Surely newbies can be given some naive questions? We have all been newbies and most likely posted similar things.

Being a constant bully just detracts from the forum and keeps newbies and regular posters alike from posting.

Are you really suggesting that we should be civil to someone who doesn't live hereohmy.png and has less than 3000 posts under their belt?ermm.gif

Grip a grip man and stop trollingbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Are you really suggesting that we should be civil to someone who doesn't live hereohmy.png and has less than 3000 posts under their belt?ermm.gif

Grip a grip man and stop trollingbiggrin.png

You don't fool me carmine....you're just jealous of his wagging tail and Youtube superstar status....laugh.png

The OP is upset that some posters who have lived here for a few years, post some negative posts.

Perhaps you should look at if from the opposite perspective - they have lived here for a few years and may have an opinion that is worthy of respect?

• Like 2

The OP is upset that some posters who have lived here for a few years, post some negative posts.

Perhaps you should look at if from the opposite perspective - they have lived here for a few years and may have an opinion that is worthy of respect?

No, that is not what he is saying.

He is asking that a little respect is shown to new members, even when they ask, what can be considered as naive questions to those of 'better knowledge'.

And when one 'knowledgeable' poster fires the first shot, a cabal of blood thirsty members of 'I am more Thai than you', join in like the aftermath of an eye gouging in the ruck and the maul.

• Like 1

No, that is not what he is saying.

He is asking that a little respect is shown to new members, even when they ask, what can be considered as naive questions to those of 'better knowledge'.

And when one 'knowledgeable' poster fires the first shot, a cabal of blood thirsty members of 'I am more Thai than you', join in like the aftermath of an eye gouging in the ruck and the maul.

Wow is it that dramatic! I'll have to spend more time on here! laugh.png

• Like 1