Newbies To Thaivisa.......

theblether

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP is upset that some posters who have lived here for a few years, post some negative posts.

Perhaps you should look at if from the opposite perspective - they have lived here for a few years and may have an opinion that is worthy of respect?

No, that is not what he is saying.

He is asking that a little respect is shown to new members, even when they ask, what can be considered as naive questions to those of 'better knowledge'.

And when one 'knowledgeable' poster fires the first shot, a cabal of blood thirsty members of 'I am more Thai than you', join in like the aftermath of an eye gouging in the ruck and the maul.

Wow is it that dramatic! I'll have to spend more time on here! laugh.png

I wouldn't bother... A few posters may point out that the OP should look at previous threads, but the majority (whilst rolling their eyes), will offer their opinion.

As far as I can see, its the threads that start with 'I'm a newbie and am not sure whether my g/f loves me" or, "I've met a woman but live abroad" - that start the obvious 'negative' comments.

The 'newbie' comments asking for genuine advice generally receive good advice.

Lately, I must be reading different threads than you then.

You may well be right - we see what we want to see...

I've been thinking lately that posters are more likely to post silly threads (and rude comments) than in the past?? But accept that I could well be wrong, and its my bias that makes me think this.

Edit - But I'm a little 'tired' of the OP and his continual attempts to pretend he's a 'nice guy', whilst posting extremely offensive comments every now and again when somebody disagrees with his POV.

Edited by F1fanatic

I prefer a more touchy feely approach. If someone asks a question and you know the answer, answer her. Links are so 2011.

I fully agree and would like to add that if someone does not want to answer the question, he should just not answer at all.

As links came up: They may be useful in addition to a short answer. And also, an answer may not be complete with all possible cases, but the one who asked can refine his question... it's called a dialogue.

As I have previously said, if you know the answer fire away, but often people will state an opinion/answer and it is completely wrong, unsubstantiated and uncorroborated, a link to a verified source can be invaluable to answering a new guy's question, particularly when all manner of incorrect assertions are being made.

I will give an example, my first question on T.V was about dual Nationality. Some posters were vehement that it was not allowed in Thailand, even posting links, others said that it was, posting Links, but it was only when Samran got involved and posted the most recent uptodate information that I had the answer required. Links are important, just treat them with a certain amount of caution.

• Like 2

As far as I can see, its the threads that start with 'I'm a newbie and am not sure whether my g/f loves me" or, "I've met a woman but live abroad" - that start the obvious 'negative' comments.

F1, taken in isolation, the questions you pose above are generally written by members looking to see how many responses they can receive by the same old posters who do not understand that they are being reeled in by the same old posters that have been doing it for years.

Trust me, it is a competition and the prize is a couple of beers every weekend.

Let them have their fun, but why oh why do people have to answer them, which then dilutes the content of those that are in need and cannot decipher the good information from the flotsam and jetsam that is floating around the rest of the Forum.

I prefer a more touchy feely approach. If someone asks a question and you know the answer, answer her. Links are so 2011.

I fully agree and would like to add that if someone does not want to answer the question, he should just not answer at all.

As links came up: They may be useful in addition to a short answer. And also, an answer may not be complete with all possible cases, but the one who asked can refine his question... it's called a dialogue.

As I have previously said, if you know the answer fire away, but often people will state an opinion/answer and it is completely wrong, unsubstantiated and uncorroborated, a link to a verified source can be invaluable to answering a new guy's question, particularly when all manner of incorrect assertions are being made.

I will give an example, my first question on T.V was about dual Nationality. Some posters were vehement that it was not allowed in Thailand, even posting links, others said that it was, posting Links, but it was only when Samran got involved and posted the most recent uptodate information that I had the answer required. Links are important, just treat them with a certain amount of caution.

I agree - some factual advice is just plain wrong! But, it allows the OP to wade through the 'links' and find the correct information or, contact via pm, somebody who has recently been through something similar, and obtain valuable advice.

Its only a few topics that attract the 'this has been posted a thousand times - check previous threads' response.

F1, taken in isolation, the questions you pose above are generally written by members looking to see how many responses they can receive by the same old posters who do not understand that they are being reeled in by the same old posters that have been doing it for years.

Trust me, it is a competition and the prize is a couple of beers every weekend.

Let them have their fun, but why oh why do people have to answer them, which then dilutes the content of those that are in need and cannot decipher the good information from the flotsam and jetsam that is floating around the rest of the Forum.

Sounds about right, and explains a lot.

It would be nice if the mods could 'weed out' those with multiple user names.

Thanks for taking the time to post these thoughts regarding interaction with newbies Blether. I agree wholeheartedly.

It is easy to be civil and polite and it is just as easy to be to disagree with someone and still be civil. There are plenty of posters on here who disagree with someone else without resorting to personal insults and mockery.

TV is a great place for discussion and for information. The more and varied people that join in the discussions the better.

Surely newbies can be given some naive questions? We have all been newbies and most likely posted similar things.

Being a constant bully just detracts from the forum and keeps newbies and regular posters alike from posting.

Are you really suggesting that we should be civil to someone who doesn't live hereohmy.png and has less than 3000 posts under their belt?ermm.gif

Grip a grip man and stop trollingbiggrin.png

Yes, indeed I am. :D

and thanks to theblether for a timely and pertinent post. As someone who has lived here quite a few years and has more posts under her belt than I care to imagine, I appreciate someone who is visiting and relatively new reminding all of us of the benefits this forum has to offer and the fact that we are all responsible for making this forum what it is, if you don't like the trolls and the nastiness then the best way to help out is to use the report button, offer encouragement and civility and eventually they will get tired.

Ie no more mooing. :)

Although l agree with the point of the thread, l think it works both ways. How many times have we seen a newbie steam straight in with an obnoxious post. There is on this thread one post from a newbie having a go at the OP when he doesn't know the the OP has gained great respect from the forum as a whole. I think they should tread softly until they are acquainted with members, l am not saying be a ''yes''' man, l am saying get to know folk. There are many highly respected posters on the forums and it is so easy to look at a guy or gals profile to see how much they are liked, doesn't answer all but gives an idea.

Must admit l do get a bit pissed off and bite at times by a newbie who rants at a guy that we know is good for the forum. smile.png

Thanks for taking the time to post these thoughts regarding interaction with newbies Blether. I agree wholeheartedly.

It is easy to be civil and polite and it is just as easy to be to disagree with someone and still be civil. There are plenty of posters on here who disagree with someone else without resorting to personal insults and mockery.

TV is a great place for discussion and for information. The more and varied people that join in the discussions the better.

Surely newbies can be given some naive questions? We have all been newbies and most likely posted similar things.

Being a constant bully just detracts from the forum and keeps newbies and regular posters alike from posting.

Are you really suggesting that we should be civil to someone who doesn't live hereohmy.png and has less than 3000 posts under their belt?ermm.gif

Yes, indeed I am. biggrin.png

and thanks to theblether for a timely and pertinent post. As someone who has lived here quite a few years and has more posts under her belt than I care to imagine, I appreciate someone who is visiting and relatively new reminding all of us of the benefits this forum has to offer and the fact that we are all responsible for making this forum what it is, if you don't like the trolls and the nastiness then the best way to help out is to use the report button, offer encouragement and civility and eventually they will get tired.

Ie no more mooing. smile.png

The OP is upset 'cos a few posters have pointed out that, as a tourist, he knows nothing about the reality of living here.

If 'old' posters with the odd negative comments were not allowed on TV - it wouldn't be worth reading at all. Positive and negative posts on a given subject, provide a balanced view. From there, it is up to the OP to decide.

Edit - with 5,000 posts in a v short time frame (less than a year?), it doesn't encourage the belief that the OP is genuinely interested in only posting when he has something relevant to add to any discussion.

He prefers to start new topics on anything that crosses his mind! And then gets annoyed when others disagree with his view...

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 1

Yes, indeed I am. biggrin.png

Ie no more mooing. smile.png

The OP is upset 'cos a few posters have pointed out that, as a tourist, he knows nothing about the reality of living here.

If 'old' posters with the odd negative comments were not allowed on TV - it wouldn't be worth reading at all. Positive and negative posts on a given subject, provide a balanced view. From there, it is up to the OP to decide.

No, he is not. I know exactly what he is referring to, thanks.

Let me reiterate since you don't seem to see it. There are some members who feel the need to jump on any newbie regardless of the post and offer nothing of use either positive or negative. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean its not there. I hope that clears things up for you.

• Like 1

The OP is upset that some posters who have lived here for a few years, post some negative posts.

Perhaps you should look at if from the opposite perspective - they have lived here for a few years and may have an opinion that is worthy of respect?

You 'd think by now the guys who had lived here long enough would know to keep their traps shut if they don't want a stream of invective-laden prejudiced bile poured over them. The newbies may be forgiven for being unaware of the risks, and should be broken in gently, with mild rebukes and veiled sarcasm.

SC

EDIT: I hope there'sno newbies reafing this thread or there'll be no fresh meat for a while...

• Like 1

You are right, we sometimes need both the good and bad POV and it is a public forum.

If the negative posts were provided as a balanced consideration that would be okay. After all, the truth is passive and can be perceived to be negative or positive depending on how it is presented and received .

Unfortunately, sometimes, negative posts are just a reflection of an individual posters personal unhappiness and seem to descend into personal attacks about another posters BFs/GFs, their intelligence, their world awareness, etc.

If posters are unhappy I say they can post about it as much as they want, but why should they project their unhappiness onto other posters?

You are right, we sometimes need both the good and bad POV and it is a public forum.

If the negative posts were provided as a balanced consideration that would be okay. After all, the truth is passive and can be perceived to be negative or positive depending on how it is presented and received .

Unfortunately, sometimes, negative posts are just a reflection of an individual posters personal unhappiness and seem to descend into personal attacks about another posters BFs/GFs, their intelligence, their world awareness, etc.

If posters are unhappy I say they can post about it as much as they want, but why should they project their unhappiness onto other posters?

So I should only project my happiness then? If some newbie asks about spot checks along sukhumvit by the BIB, I should lie to him and say they are all really just looking out for your good so please smile when they do it?

• Like 1

So I should only project my happiness then? If some newbie asks about spot checks along sukhumvit by the BIB, I should lie to him and say they are all really just looking out for your good so please smile when they do it?

biggrin.png

Clearly that is not what i was saying, which I believe you know..

However, since u asked my advice: Tell them your experiences, if they are all bad, so be it, if that is the truth , or how you see it, but don't personally attack the person asking. thumbsup.gif. I don't think anyone would consider that a negative post.

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

SKB - I'm unable to quote your earlier post, so have to reply without it.

Fair enough - what is he referring to?

I've also seen negative posts on subjects being 'jumped on' by positive posters...

Its all down to our own opinion on any given subject, BUT I look forward to learning the specific posts that caused this new topic.

Regardless, I'm still convinced (from personal experience), that the OP is quite happy to submit negative posts when someone disagrees with his POV.

Edited by F1fanatic

There is a difference between negative and rude. There have been rude posters on TV as long as I have been here, and I read for a long while before I registered. It just seems that there are a lot more of them these days. While there were some humdinger personal disputes back in the day, now they mostly seem to be awfully petty.

• Like 1

The OP is not about negativity. It is about the new guy to the forum asking what might be perceived by the 'knowledgeable' poster as a little naive, and then blasting him with vitriol.

Then all the other small minded, or small something anyway, posters join in with a condiment of chilli moonshine because it makes them feel better.

Nothing wrong with posting as you see it, if it is a negative view and true, I would see it as being positive.

I don't know how to say it any clearer. Or the fact this has now been said a few times. I hope mossy has explained it clearer than I and others have.

It just seems that there are a lot more of them these days.

This may explain some of it - 145,029 Total Members with Thaivisa. The other, long term members having a rough go of it living in Thailand and scapegoating. wink.png

The OP is not about negativity. It is about the new guy to the forum asking what might be perceived by the 'knowledgeable' poster as a little naive, and then blasting him with vitriol.

Then all the other small minded, or small something anyway, posters join in with a condiment of chilli moonshine because it makes them feel better.

Nothing wrong with posting as you see it, if it is a negative view and true, I would see it as being positive.

I'll repeat my earlier post...

... A few posters may point out that the OP should look at previous threads, but the majority (whilst rolling their eyes), will offer their opinion.

The OP is only looking for positive comments to justify his decisions - and is quite happy to post negative/rude comments is somebody dare disagree...

I don't know how to say it any clearer. Or the fact this has now been said a few times. I hope mossy has explained it clearer than I and others have.

I'm still awaiting your reply as to the comments/threads to which the OP was referring.

You're obviously convinced that the OP is just a sweet, innocent guy that cannot understand why some post negative comments to his numerous threads! Others of us (he thinks he's being persecuted rolleyes.gif ), believe he gets annoyed when others disagree with him and, even worse, have the temerity to point out that he doesn't actually live here...

Edited by F1fanatic

To F1 and TP.

What kicked started this thread was a thread in the CM sub forum, regarding a new lass who posted what the 'quality', posters thought was a little naive. She got x-rayed, it wasn't pretty apparently.

Then the blether and smokie were having dinner with a fellow poster and she had two female friends with her, they mentioned the forum needed more female posters. They just laughed and said I am not joining that place just to be attacked.

OK, just one example, I am sure you can recall others.

Nothing wrong with attacking the blethers posts, if you feel it warrants it, hes a big boy, if he takes it the wrong way follow it up with a counter punch, but be true, there is no need for vitriol and I am in no way saying you do.

TP, I have criticised the OP and I am awaiting a ban, maybe you should look at your posting style, just saying?

• Like 2

To F1 and TP.

What kicked started this thread was a thread in the CM sub forum, regarding a new lass who posted what the 'quality', posters thought was a little naive. She got x-rayed, it wasn't pretty apparently.

Then the blether and smokie were having dinner with a fellow poster and she had two female friends with her, they mentioned the forum needed more female posters. They just laughed and said I am not joining that place just to be attacked.

OK, just one example, I am sure you can recall others.

Nothing wrong with attacking the blethers posts, if you feel it warrants it, hes a big boy, if he takes it the wrong way follow it up with a counter punch, but be true, there is no need for vitriol and I am in no way saying you do.

TP, I have criticised the OP and I am awaiting a ban, maybe you should look at your posting style, just saying?

Then surely he should have started this thread on the CM forum?

I'm female and admittedly have had to grow a thick skin, as I'm apt to post as I see things... Inviting one hell of a lot a negative comments, pm's etc.!

Which is probably why I get annoyed when someone that doesn't actually live here starts a thread complaining about negative posts to 'newbies'.

He's mentioned in an earlier thread about 'assassination attempts' against him personally - which is why I remain convinced that he is annoyed that some posters have pointed out that he is a newbie and a tourist - even though he has over 5,000 posts to his name in less than a year...

Edited by F1fanatic

You're obviously convinced that the OP is just a sweet, innocent guy that cannot understand why some post negative comments to his numerous threads!

How have you come to that conclusion?!?! Given that a few posts ago she said that it was specifically not about that, this is a very odd statement to make.

• Like 1

You're obviously convinced that the OP is just a sweet, innocent guy that cannot understand why some post negative comments to his numerous threads!

How have you come to that conclusion?!?! Given that a few posts ago she said that it was specifically not about that, this is a very odd statement to make.

As I said, if this was the real reason behind this thread, he would have posted it in the CM forum.

Edit - and as I've also said, the forums are generally helpful (IME) to those 'newbies' asking genuine questions.

Edited by F1fanatic