Poor Customer Service Or Prejudice?

bonobo

I had an odd experience today which has been bugging me, to I am throwing this out to the ThaiVisa jury for its learned opinion.

Due to the CaliWow problems, I have been trying out a few local gyms so I can find a place to work out. On Saturday, I walked into a small gym near the now-closed CaliWow in Pin Klao (I will withhold the name here.) The owner/manager/whatever was a foreign guy, obviously fit, and quite friendly and gregarious. He assured me I would love his gym and should become a member. I chatted with him for about 15 minutes, and if the gym was a little primitive, he seemed like a good guy, and the price was good.

So when the internet died at my company today, I decided to leave early and give it a shot. As I walked in, he looked up with a huge smile and shouted out my name. I went to the counter and paid the daily fee, and things changed. He looked at my company shirt and kept repeating the company name that was in the front, then when the clerk asked me a question in Thai that I had to ask her to repeat, he scowled and asked me why I wasn't fluent in Thai. He then said this gym was too busy, and I probably would not be able to work out, especially if I came back. I thought that was strange, but I went to get changed.

When I came out, he studiously ignored me for awhile. After I was lifting for a bit, he did come over and basically spray me down with air freshener while telling me I stank and if I was ever going to come back, I needed cologne. Now I admit I was not a fresh-cut rose, but I was in a gym exercising and sweating. Some of the Thai guys around me were exercising in their street clothes (and others changed back into their street clothes afte exercising without showering.) Once again, I was taken aback and didn't know just what to do.

For the rest of my session, he was up and about making sure that all the other customers were fine, asking if they needed help, etc. He never once even looked at me while I could see him.

I finally finished, showered, and changed. I gave back my locker key, and he never asked about what I thought of the gym. He just stared at my shirt again and never said a word. I pondered his change in attitude and wondered why he was rude. As I thought about his staring at my company name, I was struck by something.

My company shirt is white with blue trim. The company name is on the left breast, and above that is a star that looks quite a bit like a Star of David. Especially with the color scheme, I have had people ask me if the company is Jewish-owned (the owners are actually Chinese-Thai). At our first show in New York, it really confused the Hasidic Jews who came by, seeing two Asian guys with me wearing the shirt.

We changed the star to look like something different for when we do shows and make company visits outside of Thailand, but in Thailand, sometimes I wear the shirts with the older-version star. I don't think much of it. But I got to wondering whether this guy kept staring at my company name or the star. And if he thought I was Jewish, was that reason for his 180?

I have never experienced this before, but it is rather ironic that if I am going to experience prejudice, that is is for a religion of which I am not even a member.

Am I crazy in pulling out the race (religion) card? I am not even sure if that was the reason. I am not going to wear that shirt to meetings with Middle-Eastern companies (our star on an invoice for an order to Egypt caused quite a few problems with Egyptian customs once), but in Thailand itself, I have never given it a second thought.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest with you, I would enjoy wearing a Star of David in Thailand because I am a proud secular Zionist but I do not. It's not worth the hostility (or worse) it would attract from many nationalities of foreigners. Imagine wearing that in an Iranian restaurant. Not worried about the Thais though. As the guy was so interested in your shirt I would say yes it is probably what you suspect.

FYI: Jewish isn't a race. It's a people (ethnic groups) and also a religion.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

why dont you ask him? did you smell? go to another gym. problem solved.

The guy was probably implying that Jews smell. That's something antisemites do. Interestingly sometimes there are objective reasons for that. In France Jews were often accused of smelling like garlic because Jews tend to like to eat garlic and mainstream French not so much. Well, garlic does smell! Edited by Jingthing

Sounds like a really weird bloke... did he really spray you down with air-freshener? That is shocking.

I don't know if he is anti-semitic but he is definetely a nutter (and those two traits often go together)

Unless there was something else about your shirt that scared him... do you work in a fish market?

Maybe he was expecting you to sign up for a membership seeing he spent 15mins selling himself and his gym. Gyms can be a bit funny like that, once you fit in with the others and have your face seen there alot you become more than just a casual. But I might be wrong.

Sounds like a really weird bloke... did he really spray you down with air-freshener? That is shocking.

I don't know if he is anti-semitic but he is definetely a nutter (and those two traits often go together)

Unless there was something else about your shirt that scared him... do you work in a fish market?

Yes, honest-to-goodness, he did. I was on the bench press, and he came up, sprayed over and around me, and made the comment that I stank.

Wow. No idea if hes an anti semite but he's clearly a weirdo. Spraying someone with air freshener is certainly not poor service its down right rude and pretty darn nuts. Best you stay away. Don't need to hang out with loonies;.

Wow. No idea if hes an anti semite but he's clearly a weirdo. Spraying someone with air freshener is certainly not poor service its down right rude and pretty darn nuts. Best you stay away. Don't need to hang out with loonies;.

Yea, I won't go back. Too bad, though, as the drive from my work isn't too bad, and the daily price is quite reasonable. But with the air freshener thing, and if he is anti-semitic, well, that is not for me.

I can work out at a great gym for free downtown, but the commute for me is just too much. I have to save that gym for the weekends.

why dont you ask him? did you smell? go to another gym. problem solved.

The guy was probably implying that Jews smell. That's something antisemites do. Interestingly sometimes there are objective reasons for that. In France Jews were often accused of smelling like garlic because Jews tend to like to eat garlic and mainstream French not so much. Well, garlic does smell!

Id agree with JT here about the smell thing. I've heard a number of antisemites say how Jews have a particular smell. Its quite odd they say this really.

Yea, I won't go back. Too bad, though, as the drive from my work isn't too bad, and the daily price is quite reasonable. But with the air freshener thing, and if he is anti-semitic, well, that is not for me.

I can work out at a great gym for free downtown, but the commute for me is just too much. I have to save that gym for the weekends.

Too bad i seen signs pointing to they gym your talking about. Sounds like a wackjob, i sweat a lot too when i workout i would take offence if i was doused in air freshener.

It sounds like the star on the shirt was the problem, if that's the case the place is definitely not worth patronising, spend your money with people who aren't prejudiced, against anyone.

I've only ever seen anti-semitism once in Thailand, about 12 years ago in Pattaya. A Thai stallholder (on the side of the road opposite the beach), was waving at some tourists, telling them to "go Israel go", and other comments, (in broken English), while waving them away. There was no obvious indication to me how he could tell the people were Jewish or Israeli, but he wouldn't sell to them.

I'd forgotten all about this episode until I read this, guess that's what getting old does to one.

Sounds like a weirdo.

You should mess with him, go in tomorrow with a t-shirt with a cross or jesus fish on it, then the next day a shirt with a crescent moon....see how his mood changes each day.

Then the last day go in there with a t-shirt with a middle finger on the front and "f*** you" on the back.

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 1

Some are friendly. Some are not - pretty much like anybody else. whistling.gif

Of course. Israelis do have a distinctive culture that might impress some as strong willed. It is what it is. I don't find Russians in Pattaya "friendly" either but if I owned a gym I wouldn't be spraying one of them if they tried to join! Edited by Jingthing

I find it difficult to picture how someone lets someone else spray the with air-freshener then accuse them of stinking without reacting in anyway, without asking why they are behaving in such a manner. As someone who avoids confrontation until its necessary, I would consider this necessary - How did the Op not hit the guy for spraying him with air-freshener ?

Go back - Ask the guy what on earth he was thinking. Then tell him he's lost your business and that of anyone else you know - Then spray him with air-con and tell him his attitude stinks !!!!...

• Like 1

I find it difficult to picture how someone lets someone else spray the with air-freshener then accuse them of stinking without reacting in anyway, without asking why they are behaving in such a manner. As someone who avoids confrontation until its necessary, I would consider this necessary - How did the Op not hit the guy for spraying him with air-freshener ?

Go back - Ask the guy what on earth he was thinking. Then tell him he's lost your business and that of anyone else you know - Then spray him with air-con and tell him his attitude stinks !!!!...

I think I was too puzzled at first, then shocked by the whole thing and didn't really figure it all out until after he had gone back to the counter. It was later after I left that it all started to sink in.