webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is not a HUB of Olympic gold, I guess.rolleyes.gif

No, but Great Britain is!

Out of topic but the Britt's have done fantastic, congratulations. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

well they have entered more athletes than any other nation

As the host nation, there are certain events where automatic qualification is granted. However, in many events, the Brits qualified anyway based on world rankings, World Championships (2011) and met the minimum standards set by the IOC and International Federations.

We also entered ALL of the events at the Olympics.

• Like 1

Thailand could have done better but at least they did win medals for their country. Thai athletes like all the olympians that come to compete, are the best of their country and put their heart and soul into the competition to make their country proud. Nobody mentions of course the USA, leader in both Gold and total medal count. Rock on America!

With 260,000,000 folk to sift through they should do well. Just imagine if UK had four times the population to sift to compete whistling.gif , USA would be buried. laugh.png

Another area is football, when will Thailand learn that in your national game you should not rely on players from other countries, when you see the team sheets it seems to be packed of non Thai players, if a rule was made then younger kids would realise that they have the opportunity to play in the Thai League if they are good enough, and not have to fight to get a place against a non Thai player.

May I remind you that the most great football players from the big English league are foreigners

Robin van persie,Raffael van der vaart,Patrice Evra,Mario Balotelli,nani,Brett Holman,Petr Cech etc etc.

• Like 1

Thailand could have done better but at least they did win medals for their country. Thai athletes like all the olympians that come to compete, are the best of their country and put their heart and soul into the competition to make their country proud. Nobody mentions of course the USA, leader in both Gold and total medal count. Rock on America!

With 260,000,000 folk to sift through they should do well. Just imagine if UK had four times the population to sift to compete whistling.gif , USA would be buried. laugh.png

Well, according to your calculations then, China should top out everybody.. right? The US just happens to be a very sports minded country and we do have a lot of atheletes.

Having sen what is NOT taught in a majority of thai schools... Athletics and sports in general are not very high on the list... My daughter has one lesson a week for physical education... and that consists of Swimming....and erm....erm.....erm basketball... At least in the UK you get at least 2 PE classes per week.... one in the gym and one outside(football/rugby).. How can the Thais ever be a true sporting nation until they start participating at grass routes

• Like 1

A lot of UK athletes have been funded by the lottery and maybe this is an idea the Thais can adopt. Provided the process of allocation is transparent; lottery funding can be applied to athletes who have a genuine chance of clinching a medal. It can also be used to employ foreign coaches with expertise. Thai pride shouldn't be dented by this, if, in the long term the nation achieves glory. Look at us in the UK; now having surpassed its Beijing medals total and with every medal the games have become addictive. The feel good factor is immense and in a time of economic mess it is uplifting.

Thailand can succeed and I for one sincerely hope they do!

• Like 1

Having sen what is NOT taught in a majority of thai schools... Athletics and sports in general are not very high on the list... My daughter has one lesson a week for physical education... and that consists of Swimming....and erm....erm.....erm basketball... At least in the UK you get at least 2 PE classes per week.... one in the gym and one outside(football/rugby).. How can the Thais ever be a true sporting nation until they start participating at grass routes

I think they should stick to Math and Thai for beginners. Try to get the national I.Q average above 100 before worrying about sports too much.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/07/08/national/Thai-students-found-below-global-average-30159779.html

[

I think they should stick to Math and Thai for beginners. Try to get the national I.Q average above 100 before worrying about sports too much.

http://www.nationmul...e-30159779.html

Small steps first is best. Start with 25 and then work towards 100 over the next few years.

It could even become a campaign promise by a certain party.

Team GB has obviously done very well at this olympic games, They hoped to repeat Beijing where they came forth in the medals table, and as I write, I believe they are third, which for a nation of around 64 million is rather amazing. They have had some failures, but many triumphs. China is tops again, but then again they have the largest population, USA is second and they have a huge sports program. Could Thailand do better, yes, with some support from the govenment I see no reason why Thailand should not gain a reasonable medal haul.

Training as an Olympian is a long term goal that requires persistance, dedication and a reliable support network. Attributes that are wholly absent in contemporary Thai society and culture.

In the Uk the housing development where I live, we help support a young sailor who is a Brazil 2016 candidate. We contribute as part of the service charge on our condo units as we believe in him having the best opportunity to succeed. This was raised at a residents' AGM three years ago and agreed almost unanimously.

I contrast this with an experience in Thailand. Having agreed with a prestigious marina (the owner of which was was very much "on board") and sailing school in Pattaya a program to offer a very well known pattaya orphanage the opportunity to send 12 kids every saturday to learn to sail on dingys, they turned up, spent 15 minutes sailing followed by 40 minutes of "photo opportinites" with kids neatly lined up in rows in life jackets etc, dutifully published it in their "newsletter". They never turned up again. This, despite it being totally free of charge, including transport.

When I asked then <deleted> had happened and why they never went again, they told me that sailing was for "rich and high society people and not poor orphans". But at least they had some cute pics for the next fundraising newsletter.........

The lad we sponsor in the Uk is the son of the former caretaker there. Based on his recent performances I have little doubt he will represent the UK in 2016 in Rio and may very well secure a medal. Ability, dedication and ambition are what count in a developed or developing country.

The Third World and failing states are another matter. Another lesson learned. There really is very little hope for Thailand.

On the bright side, I no longer squander 15000 b a month on a wasted cause.

Edited by BarryM
  • Like 1

To the above I add a further caveat to Olympic success - a sense of society.

Thailand falls laughingly short. What binds its society together is an illusory guise that is best left undiscussed and a sense of nationalism instilled through lowest common denominator diktat that would make Goebbels squirm with its transparency to anyone with more than a simian sense of critical thinking.

Edited by BarryM

Great Britain - the greatest sporting nation on the face of the planet.

I thought the only real sports they had was with horses.

We ain't too shabby at croquet either....shame it ain't an Olympic event.

We're also the world's current No.1 at disqualifications in relays.

Edited by Phatcharanan

They weren't mentioned because the article is not about the U.S.A

I just think the whole Olympic project has gone rancid. It's now about the media, the sponsors, the VIPs and crass nationalism. I went to the Olympic Games in Melbourne in 1956 and they were wonderful, but they were also modest and affordable. My parents were financially distressed at the time, but they could manage to buy me tickets to the athletics on two days. There was no mammoth new stadium for these events. They were held at the MCG, the traditional home of cricket test matches and the Australian Rules Grand Final. A new swimming and water sports stadium was built and a venue for field sports and a velodrome was built alongside, but they were nothing outstanding, believe me. All the athletes were amateurs, though obviously there was state sponsorship for the Soviet bloc athletes. Modesty was also a feature of the athletes themselves. No crowing and theatrical behaviour from the winners, and no tears of disappointment from the others. How times have changed.

I'd be happy to see the present form of Olympics fade away. They have little to do with Baron de Coubertin's vision or with the joy of sport for its own sake and the possibility to better one's own previous performance, regardless of where one finishes. I guess that means team games should be excluded from a reformed Olympics.

I would be happy to see my home city invite athletes from around the world, to come and compete at the venues we have already, without sponsorship and certainly without any commercial monopolies. Athletes would be invited to represent themselves and accommodation could be arranged with local citizens. Officials can be drawn from local sports associations, so no need for teams of managers and officials to come, unless they wish to at their expense. And there would be no march-past of national teams, and no national anthems at victory ceremonies. I wonder if there would be any interest. This in fact is what I think happened at the first of the modern Olympics in 1896 (though the stadium was purpose built, and most events took place there).

I have to agree with you.

There is way to much money invested by large corporations and the like who are expecting a healthy return. The amature sport has been gobbled up by the corporations. When do the Olympics finnish anyway?

Training as an Olympian is a long term goal that requires persistance, dedication and a reliable support network. Attributes that are wholly absent in contemporary Thai society and culture.

In the Uk the housing development where I live, we help support a young sailor who is a Brazil 2016 candidate. We contribute as part of the service charge on our condo units as we believe in him having the best opportunity to succeed. This was raised at a residents' AGM three years ago and agreed almost unanimously.

I contrast this with an experience in Thailand. Having agreed with a prestigious marina (the owner of which was was very much "on board") and sailing school in Pattaya a program to offer a very well known pattaya orphanage the opportunity to send 12 kids every saturday to learn to sail on dingys, they turned up, spent 15 minutes sailing followed by 40 minutes of "photo opportinites" with kids neatly lined up in rows in life jackets etc, dutifully published it in their "newsletter". They never turned up again. This, despite it being totally free of charge, including transport.

When I asked then <deleted> had happened and why they never went again, they told me that sailing was for "rich and high society people and not poor orphans". But at least they had some cute pics for the next fundraising newsletter.........

The lad we sponsor in the Uk is the son of the former caretaker there. Based on his recent performances I have little doubt he will represent the UK in 2016 in Rio and may very well secure a medal. Ability, dedication and ambition are what count in a developed or developing country.

The Third World and failing states are another matter. Another lesson learned. There really is very little hope for Thailand.

On the bright side, I no longer squander 15000 b a month on a wasted cause.

Did you say sailing? Isn't that a recreation like sunbathing? What next darts as a sport where the supreme athletes are awarded points on the number of beers consumed during a game. The wind provides the energy, a little like the dressage where the horse does all the work and the rider is considered the athlete and awarded the spoils. Anyway no offence intended and just a personal opinion.

Back on topic, well done Thailand I believe 3 medals in total now. 26 compeitors attending for 3 medals a pretty good achievement considering other countries send 100's of competitors without receiving the same returns. 1/8.6 How many did China, the U.S and other Nations send and what was thier medal return per athlete? These Thais will come back as National heros and be rewarded handsomely by the country and quite rightly so.

Edited by chooka

Thailand targeted gaining at least two gold medals from the Olympics but missed the goal due to various factors

Yeah, other countries sportspeople were better than them.........

Blaming the English food & weather would sound so much better. :rolleyes:

Instead of the corporations jumping on the bandwagon after someone wins a medal, how about a bit more funding up front.

between cp, ais and ptt they could build a world class training facility, but of course where is the fun in sponsoring people who might not win, when you can shower them with goodies after the event.

• Like 2