The Thai Shopping Basket......Cost Of Living ( And No Not That Again ).

theblether

Here in the USA a burger meal with fries and drink will run you around, $6. A 12pk of Heinecken you can find at $10. Thai Mekong whiskey fifth $18. Cigarettes Marlboro $5.50. Fuel $3.65/gal.

Today I had a buffet at a good hotel with many choices of European, Thai and Chinese foods for 159 baht....say $5

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get fed up when I go into a convenience store and they don't have baskets.

SC

Talking of baskets, in Taiwan plastic bags are taxed, so it makes sense to use a basket.

Bin bags are taxed too, to encourage recycling.

SC

Here in the USA a burger meal with fries and drink will run you around, $6. A 12pk of Heinecken you can find at $10. Thai Mekong whiskey fifth $18. Cigarettes Marlboro $5.50. Fuel $3.65/gal.

What part of the USA are you in? I don't think you can get a value meal at McDonalds for $6 dollars anymore (once you pay sales tax), if you actually go to a restaurant that burger and fries to start at $10! And a 12 pack for $10!!! I paid $9.56 for a six pack earlier today....

As for gas I filled up for $4.35/gal today, so that is $1.15/liter which is still cheaper then Thailand :)

I really need to get back to Thailand...

Starting Monday I will list daily buys/costs at the local corner shop followed by items and costs at Foodland during the week. If done over a 3 or 4 week period should give an average weekly bill for 2. Some things bought obviously last longer than a week, eg frozen veggies etc, last why I think needs to be averaged out.

No schooling involved for me.

Housing costs will be monthly mortgage payment.

Transport weill be monthly for car and fuel

Meals out, beers etc all to be included.

Thoughts ?

1) Local market/Tesco Lotus may well be cheaper for some items than local corner shop - so many will disagree with the price..

2) Depends on what you buy - others will have an entirely different shopping list...

3) Monthly mortgage depends on how much/type of house you bought...

etc. etc.

I suspect the only thing that we will all agree on is that the costs of living in a tourist area are higher than those without tourists?!

Edit - Mind you, the cost of meals out (as long as the meal eaten is provided - huge difference between Western meal and Thai meal) and cost of beers, should work?

Ok agreed,

so lets take the car and house part.

Where I am, outskirts of Patts, the mortgage payment is about the same as the average rent for a two bedroom bungalow with a good kitchen and garden for the dog.

8500 a month

Car 9000 a month

electric 2400 a month 4975 a week.

Food etc I'll start on Monday

Thinking about it I can add now,

beer at home usually 4 cans for 5 nights plus one pack ciggies

Say 200 a day, so that's 1000 a week.

so now up to 5975 a week.

Monday night at home so nothing spent.

Tonite ,

two takeaway, thai 200 baht

local shop ,

rice canned fruit baked beans cooking oil eggs 240 baht.

Total 440 baht.

Edited by overherebc

Laptop at the ready.......i'll be creating a 100 item cost of living index soon........i have no idea about property taxes etc in Thailand so it would be handy if someone could do a list of property related expenses.

Great move. Look forward to seeing it soon!

Laptop at the ready.......i'll be creating a 100 item cost of living index soon........i have no idea about property taxes etc in Thailand so it would be handy if someone could do a list of property related expenses.

Transfer fee

2% of the registered value of the property

Stamp Duty

0.5% of registered value. Only payable if exempt from business tax

Withholding tax

1% of the appraised value of the property

Business tax

3.3% of the appraised value of the property if selling within 5 years. This applies to both individuals and companies.

On a side note, I was in a Sports bar down in Sukhumvit last week. 1 litre Heineken, 350 baht.....I had to go outside to check if I'd been transported to central London.

I hadn't, it was BKK, at London prices. Oh well.

Any idea what nationality the owner was ?

On another side note, I was in Sukhumvit on Buddha day so my drinking choices were limited, chose the Terrace bar at the Landmark (could have the name wrong but the streetside bar anyhow) a large draught beer was 250B, turned out to be a litre, after I had that and my very reasonably priced Reubens sandwich (stuffed full of pastrami and side salad and fries) I called for the bill only to be presented with another litre of beer (happy hour sir...10pm!!)which I had to sup whilst bemused thirsty tourists were shuffling past on the street watching the condensation cool on my glass with envious looks tongue.png

Anyways according to the Big Mac index from The Economist, there ain't many places cheaper than LOS to eat one....should you so desire.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102253973/Big-Mac-Index-July-2012

Tesco Nakhon Sawan yesterday:

25 Tesco own brand teabags 54 baht (43 last week)

800 gram tin of Quaker Oats 101 baht (80 last week)

Alcohol prices remaining stable, might try one of the below 300 baht bottles of wine.

On a side note, I was in a Sports bar down in Sukhumvit last week. 1 litre Heineken, 350 baht.....I had to go outside to check if I'd been transported to central London.

On another side note, I was in Sukhumvit on Buddha day so my drinking choices were limited, chose the Terrace bar at the Landmark (could have the name wrong but the streetside bar anyhow) a large draught beer was 250B, turned out to be a litre, after I had that and my very reasonably priced Reubens sandwich (stuffed full of pastrami and side salad and fries) I called for the bill only to be presented with another litre of beer (happy hour sir...10pm!!)which I had to sup whilst bemused thirsty tourists were shuffling past on the street watching the condensation cool on my glass with envious looks tongue.png

Anyways according to the Big Mac index from The Economist, there ain't many places cheaper than LOS to eat one....should you so desire.

http://www.scribd.co...Index-July-2012

Roamer, are you sure it was a litre and not half a litre. A litre is almost two pints and a very unusual measure for Bangkok, and that makes it a very unusual price for the Landmark.

From my experiences, outside of happy hours Bangkok has generally always been at least equivalent to London prices.

Starting Monday I will list daily buys/costs at the local corner shop followed by items and costs at Foodland during the week. If done over a 3 or 4 week period should give an average weekly bill for 2. Some things bought obviously last longer than a week, eg frozen veggies etc, last why I think needs to be averaged out.

No schooling involved for me.

Housing costs will be monthly mortgage payment.

Transport weill be monthly for car and fuel

Meals out, beers etc all to be included.

Thoughts ?

1) Local market/Tesco Lotus may well be cheaper for some items than local corner shop - so many will disagree with the price..

2) Depends on what you buy - others will have an entirely different shopping list...

3) Monthly mortgage depends on how much/type of house you bought...

etc. etc.

I suspect the only thing that we will all agree on is that the costs of living in a tourist area are higher than those without tourists?!

Edit - Mind you, the cost of meals out (as long as the meal eaten is provided - huge difference between Western meal and Thai meal) and cost of beers, should work?

Ok agreed,

so lets take the car and house part.

Where I am, outskirts of Patts, the mortgage payment is about the same as the average rent for a two bedroom bungalow with a good kitchen and garden for the dog.

8500 a month

Car 9000 a month

electric 2400 a month 4975 a week.

Food etc I'll start on Monday

Thinking about it I can add now,

beer at home usually 4 cans for 5 nights plus one pack ciggies

Say 200 a day, so that's 1000 a week.

so now up to 5975 a week.

Monday night at home so nothing spent.

Tonite ,

two takeaway, thai 200 baht

local shop ,

rice canned fruit baked beans cooking oil eggs 240 baht.

Total 440 baht.

Today.

Car service 2500

Four big bits of lamb for the freezer 220.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102253973/Big-Mac-Index-July-2012

Tsk Roamer....I was downstairs quaffing a few beers and you never even said hello! :D

I think we're needing 2 lists........one for the adult members that like doing things such as buying homes, paying health insurance and bringing up families.

Then another list for those that think that condoms beer and hamburgers are a more relevant cost of living index.

I wonder which one is the bigger group??

Thanks for that TwoDogz.......are there any annual property taxes in Thailand?

If you live in a moobahn or condo then you will have a "community" charge or whatever they call it which will depend on the size of the plot/condo and where you are.

If you own a property through a company then I guess there are annual fees here?

You will also have (if you take it out) buildings/contents insurance.

Otherwise no other govt. fees that I am aware of.

Lamb costs 350/400 a kilo for a leg if you know where to go and lamb chops circa 450/500 a kilo.

As for annual land taxes, yes there is some but not sure if it is for rural land or all land.

We had a plot in bangkok and never paid land tax annually. We have a rural block and there is a nominal annual tax, so small hardly worth worrying about though.

What I'm trying to do is put together a list and cost of what is spent on day to day living with referrence to food and cost of renting etc for people who are thinking about about coming here to stay long term. Basic needs with regards to food, and running a vehicle. The difference in price between cigarettes and beer in your own country doesn't come into it. I costed those for me at 200 baht a day, more or less where you live now doesn't matter.

Let me finish my average months spending on living only.

If you want to have one weekend a nonth on an island somewhere figure that as as extra to my figures.

We do that sometimes but I don't put it as part of day to day living. Everyone wants a a different lifestyle.

Nothing spent tonight. Cooked with stuff from the freezer, which is now almost empty. Foodland bill tomorrow for another months supply.

Post tomorrow after shopping.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

After shopping at F'land and Big 'C' spent 5500 on general stuff for freezer and canned and pre-packed food etc for two weeks, cleaning stuff etc etc.

At the moment it looks like 8225 a week just for basic living.

So call it 33,000 a month, plus what you pay for electricity and water and a maid, if you have one, that does not include nights out, or eating at restaurants etc as those costs will be different for most depending on the type of restaurant and what meals/wine etc you buy and your own idea of what a night out is.

Usually 2 tanks of fuel at 1700 is the norm as well, 3400 a month.

So for us two survival costs per month would be around 35,000 a month, but that would be sitting at home looking at the walls 24/7.

• Like 1

Overherebc - Where did you find four big bits of lamb for 220 bht? The only place I've seen lamb is Villa Mart - and it costs a fortune!

in Makro, Tesco and Foodland you find lamb. Makro has it frozen and fresh, Tesco and Foodland only frozen.

Vehicle insurance we're paying 16,000 baht a year for the pick-up. Car is around 20,000

Health insurance, sorry to say is a bit like a will, the usual answer, yes I must do that this month.

House insurance I'm informed by the boss is about 4000 baht per 500,000 cover. I know that my wife also pays a small amount to cover the outstanding mortgage payments in the event of her demise, best way I can say it.

Next life I want to come back as one of my dogs.

I bought one jar of vegemite in Thinglor for 149b and then I bought another one the same day in Ploenchit for 190b.

So compare away...thats the only essential shopping requirement anyway.

geez 2 jars! usually 1 jar lasts 20yearsbiggrin.png im curious does it taste like it does in oz?