Do You Drink And Drive ?

Banzai99

Despite the wave of anti-drunk driving hysteria.

I (who often used to drive while drunk) never had an accident under such circumstances.

Yet one member on this thread openly admits his completely sober wife drove into a concrete pillar.

Who is the more dangerous, a drunk or someone who falls asleep while driving?

I think that there is a very good argument about a lifetime driving ban for anyone causing an accident while either sober or drunk.

In the interests of fairness and safety for everyone.

Let's have a campaign to remove ALL proven dangerous drivers from motor vehicles permanently.

I totally agree that stricter punishments for dangerous driving would make the roads safer. I would also support a much stricter driving test to gain a driving license.

I find your pro-drink-driving stance (just because you personally haven't killed anyone yet while drink-driving) rather odd but I wouldn't expect anything different from you!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and start with you as you admit openly you have often driven drunk.

But I am not a proven dangerous driver, as I have never had an accident involving anyone else.

I do admit to slipping off my m/c on a wet road, but that only endangered some skin on my arm.

PS

Driven drunk in the past, no longer allowed alcohol due to an unrelated medical condition.

Slipping your m/c ban on driving... for life.

As i understand your point about dangerous driving and falling asleep i think it only counts if its proven the person has been driving to long not sleeping enough and took the risk anyway.

In my wifes case (still don't know why or how) it was 14.00 and after a good night sleep on a 20minute drive at 2km from our home. Wish i knew how or why because it scared the shit out of me hitting that concrete pilar.

I agree and start with you as you admit openly you have often driven drunk.

But I am not a proven dangerous driver, as I have never had an accident involving anyone else.

I do admit to slipping off my m/c on a wet road, but that only endangered some skin on my arm.

PS

Driven drunk in the past, no longer allowed alcohol due to an unrelated medical condition.

Drink driving is dangerous Tommo and I am pleased you have stopped (whatever the reason)

In my wifes case (still don't know why or how) it was 14.00 and after a good night sleep on a 20minute drive at 2km from our home. Wish i knew how or why because it scared the shit out of me hitting that concrete pilar.

Some form of narcolepsy?

If so it could happen again at any time.

You might want to be doing any driving in the future (if only for your own peace of mind).

I have been drinking and driving for some 35 years never been a problem it's not drunk driving that causes accidents it's drunk AND stupid driving , imo. Most drunk driving accidents have speeding or running a red light ect involved , driving drunk and obeying the road signs and traffic lights ect is not as unsafe as all that. It's drunken kids all hyped up with no experience that started the whole problem in the first place not adults driving home from the bar at night. I do however drive more slowly and carefully because I realise my reaction time is a little slower.

Is it a good thing or something to brag about probabbly not but it's also not some big thing to get worked up over either.

Drunk driving increases the chance of death. I'd like you to meet my buddy whose son died after being hit by a guy coming home from the pub and tell him your opinion.

Although I'm an alcoholic, I've only drunk and driven on 3 occasions. One was when I passed my driving test - I had a couple of beers because of nerves I've driven whilst suffering from alcohol withdrawal, which is just as bad as being drunk - my driving was impaired. If I'd had a couple of beers it would have been much safer. But this is bullshit - driving whilst drinking is stupid and irresponsible, especially on Thai roads that require more attention. The people who do it either have a drink problem or no conscious.

One of those things that many do but few admit to.

I don't drive "drunk" - if I'm going out on the piss I'll leave the car at home. But if I have a couple of beers or glasses of wine with a meal then I'll drive home fine, and yes I would be more relaxed about it here than back home because the likely punishment is less severe.

I'd need to be pretty pissed to be as dangerous as many people on the road here.

Car no, motorbike yes. That's the truth of it anyway. I feel if I crash the bike drunk it's me that's going to get hurt and it's my choice. I don't know where all you lot live but in Pattaya I don't know anyone who doesn't ride their bike home after beers. Not saying it's right but that's how it is.

Car no, motorbike yes. That's the truth of it anyway. I feel if I crash the bike drunk it's me that's going to get hurt and it's my choice. I don't know where all you lot live but in Pattaya I don't know anyone who doesn't ride their bike home after beers. Not saying it's right but that's how it is.

So, YOU have worked it out that cos your bike is ''small'' only you will get hurt if you crash whilst pissed ?

Thought l was thick but you are amazingly th.....................................rolleyes.gif

I actualy enjoy drinking and driving especially after a long day at the office and i'm stuck in traffic then i'll open a chang and chill maybe have another then arrive home mellow but still alert.

I was going to say that this is utterly crazy and troll-ish, but then I remembered I've done the same a couple times, also during the annual Drunk Driving Festival, also known as Songkran.

Currently its against the law, plus drinking and driving at the same time is not real smart. I am not talking about the alcohol content because with one bottle he might still be within the legal limit (i dont know) But drinking means driving with one hand and if you do get in an accident with beer all over you i doubt it will work in his advantage.

Let's get a few details straight...

I'm a careful considerate driver and have NEVER had acident here or in farangland in 35 years.clap2.gif

My secret is not to drink spirits, last time i drunk a bottle of Mehkong i got married to my Thai partner, LOL. Back on topic....

Never drink more than 3 big changs.smile.png

Have a 500bht note folded insde your licence holderwink.png .

Have a cig or copper coin on hand just in case your pulled over for a road side test( they diffuse the tester-been there done that thumbsup.gif )

If the officer probes deeper other explanations are your asthmatic or have used mouthwash.whistling.gif will strengthen your case.

I do not condone reckless abandoment on the highways, Like everything......Moderation!

In all honesty i am probally one of the safest drivers in LOS.

• Like 1

I actualy enjoy drinking and driving especially after a long day at the office and i'm stuck in traffic then i'll open a chang and chill maybe have another then arrive home mellow but still alert.

I was going to say that this is utterly crazy and troll-ish, but then I remembered I've done the same a couple times, also during the annual Drunk Driving Festival, also known as Songkran.

Currently its against the law, plus drinking and driving at the same time is not real smart. I am not talking about the alcohol content because with one bottle he might still be within the legal limit (i dont know) But drinking means driving with one hand and if you do get in an accident with beer all over you i doubt it will work in his advantage.

I'm a careful considerate driver and have NEVER had acident here or in farangland in 35 years.clap2.gif

My secret is not to drink spirits, last time i drunk a bottle of Mehkong i got married to my Thai partner, LOL. Back on topic....

Have a cig or copper coin on hand just in case your pulled over for a road side test( they diffuse the tester-been there done that thumbsup.gif )

If the officer probes deeper other explanations are your asthmatic or have used mouthwash.whistling.gif will strengthen your case.

I do not condone reckless abandoment on the highways, Like everything......Moderation!

We all are, until we have an accident

• Like 1

I don't, I always take a taxi or BTS. Its just easier at night.

But I know PLENTY of people who do it.

So do I, in fact most Farangs I know who live here and drink, drink and drive.

Obviously they're not ThaiVisa members.

• Like 1

Many people die or kill someone in their first accident.

Edited by farang000999

Epecially in Thailand because the majority have

1, Not passed a test/ worked hard to earn a licence.

2, Have no common road sense.

3, Ride/drive underage

4, Ride/drive with more than the legitimate passengers allowed.

5, Piss poor vehicle maintenance.

If i've missed anything do feel free to list.

Death from drink driving in Thailand is VERY HIGH but there are other contributing factors to consider also.

As for me and my swift Changs on the way home from work in rush hour traffic is no danger to anyone but a moralist and a crusader.

• Like 1

I (who often used to drive while drunk)

Now there's a surprise.

A very good example of what's wrong with ThaiVisa.

A troll takes a comment 'out of context' in order to make a personal attack on another member, while making no attempt to contribute to the actual thread.

I'm quite surprised at the people who 'liked' the flame, but am not surprised by the member that posted the flame.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Now there's a surprise.

A troll takes a comment 'out of context' in order to make a personal attack on another member, while making no attempt to contribute to the actual thread.

I'm quite surprised at the people who 'liked' the flame, but am not surprised by the member that posted the flame.

Drunks only cause 20percent of road fatalities, sober drivers cause 80 percent. So who do you ban?

Now there's a surprise.

Very well I'll include the rest "but never had an accident"

I've already contributed to the thread. I mentioned that my aunt was killed by a drunk driver. Left a husband and 2 teenage daughters. Funny thing is, he'd never had an accident either up until the point he mowed her down and killed her on a pedestrian crossing.

Sort of like " My uncle smoked 2 packs of Lambert and Butler a day since the age of 14 and never caught lung cancer. Dies in his bed aged 93"

Basically folks will come up with any old pony and trap to try to justify the fact that they're just irresponsible tossers ( the threat of a ban prevents me from typing the word I'd like to but I'm sure it can be figured out. Begins with a C and it's not Clymidia ) and judging by the number I've met in LOS quite a few of them the bottle's got a hold of them rather than the other way round.

Edited by mca

Now there's a surprise.

Very well I'll include the rest "but never had an accident"

I've already contributed to the thread. I mentioned that my aunt was mown down by a drunk driver on a pedestrian crossing. Funny thing is, he'd never had an accident either up until the point he killed her in one.

Unfortunate for your Aunt (RIP)

But she could have equally been mown down by someone falling asleep at the wheel at 2pm in the afternoon (who had never fallen asleep at the wheel before).

So more useful for you to flame someone who still drives while impaired (for whatever reason), than to flame me, a person that didn't harm anyone, and no longer drinks and drives. I mean really, if you have a go at me for something I did in the past (instead of congratulating me for seeing the light), I might as well start doing it again.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

3, Ride/drive underage

Death from drink driving in Thailand is VERY HIGH but there are other contributing factors to consider also.

As for me and my swift Changs on the way home from work in rush hour traffic is no danger to anyone but a moralist and a crusader.

Or a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist.... Unfortunately the governments of the World universally disagree with your sentiments... If getting home in a chilled manner is that important to you why don't you hire a driver?

You are a danger on the roads simply for the reason that you think your drinking poses no danger. I'm not a moralist or a crusader, just a normal member of society, quite similar to the member of society that you end up hurting when you make a simple but dangerous mistake as a result of your impaired function due to alcohol intake.

Because others driver badly is one of the stupidest excuses for drink driving I've read on this forum....

I drink and drive, but not at the same time.

Farangs usually don´t drink and drive? Hmm, most of my friends don´t drink and drive at the same time, and some of them does not have white skin.

I know many americans and russians are drunk when they drive, and I am not sure that there are fewer white skinned americans who drink and drive, than the black americans...

Now there's a surprise.

Drunks only cause 20percent of road fatalities, sober drivers cause 80 percent. So who do you ban?

LOL - a funny but simple manipulation of statistics.... Blood Alcohol is a quantifiable entity unfortunately stupidity isn't (with regards to driving anyway)...

It is an unquestionable fact that alcohol makes anyone a worse driver. Drive as drunk as you like in your own field where you can't harm anyone else. However, when there are so many other people who can be effected by your actions common sense should prevail and you should do what you can do minimise the impact on those others around you.

As a society it has been shown that we are unable to govern ourselves and thus a law is applied whereby the we are all governed according the the lowest common denominator and scientific studies.

IF someone think's they can drink and drive without impairment they are a fool, the rules and regulations exist to protect the general pubic from these fools regardless of whether or not they've had an accident in the past or not.

Edited by richard_smith237

As a society it has been shown that we are unable to govern ourselves and thus a law is applied whereby the we are all governed according the the lowest common denominator and scientific studies.

“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” Douglas Bader

Who do you mean 'WE'

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Unfortunate for your Aunt (RIP)

But she could have equally been mown down by someone falling asleep at the wheel at 2pm in the afternoon (who had never fallen asleep at the wheel before).

So more useful for you to flame someone who still drives while impaired (for whatever reason), than to flame me, a person that didn't harm anyone, and no longer drinks and drives. I mean really, if you have a go at me for something I did in the past (instead of congratulating me for seeing the light), I might as well start doing it again.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one then. Congratulations for not d and d now.

• Like 1

“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” Douglas Bader

Who do you mean 'WE'

Think Bader was referring to text book combat flight formation which killed many. coffee1.gif

3, Ride/drive underage

Or a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist.... Unfortunately the governments of the World universally disagree with your sentiments... If getting home in a chilled manner is that important to you why don't you hire a driver?

You are a danger on the roads simply for the reason that you think your drinking poses no danger. I'm not a moralist or a crusader, just a normal member of society, quite similar to the member of society that you end up hurting when you make a simple but dangerous mistake as a result of your impaired function due to alcohol intake.

Because others driver badly is one of the stupidest excuses for drink driving I've read on this forum....

I'm with Chang on this one, having a few beers and driving home is no big deal if your in control.

Irony is palpable and I thought quite funny, because you were obviously off the wall. Put simply coppers in the mouth, JPR Williams could test this falllacy.

Edited by Mossfinn