Seeking Advice/Information On Renewing Retirement Visa

I have a retirement visa that will expire in late October 2012. I used a legal service last year to obtain my original retirement visa but am hoping to forgo the costs of using them again to renew my visa and to do it on my own.

My financial situation is that I have a monthly income that is almost twice the 65,000 THB monthly requirement. This is direct deposited monthly into a Thai bank here in Chiang Mai. My current balance is less than half the 800,000 THB bank account requirement, but I am assuming that my monthly income amount will be sufficient to meet the financial requirements for a retirement visa renewal? Of course, I will obtain an affidavit from the USA Consulate General here in Chiang Mai to verify my monthly income amount.

I have already reserved an appointment time at the Immigration Office for one week prior to the expiration of my current retirement visa.

I would appreciate advice or information on what other forms I need to provide at Immigration and any tips on the process. Thanks.

You need the TM.7 form with 2 photos, the letter from the consulate. I would recommend having proof of monthly income just in case immigration ask for it, in two years they have not asked me but I have proof just in case. Arrive early go to the copy center and tell the girl copies for retirement extension of stay and she will make the required copies. Go sit down and wait to be called as they will have your appointment on record. Both times I have went in and out with the retirement extension of stay. Ok thats easy you should also get a re-entry permit at the same time either a multiply or single I cannot remember forms they are here on forum. You can also do your 90 day report if it is close to the date you are there for extension of stay.

Remember to sign each copy and to also write your cell phone number on the application. It looks hetic at Chiang Mai immigration as a lot of people standing around with out a clue. Just know you have an appointment and they will be calling your name around the time of appointment, I have been called a few min. after the hour each time. Its easy to do, go down to Airport Plaza afterward for a cuo of coffee or tea to relax.

• Like 1

Just remember that photos, 4x6cm, should have been taken within six months (they do check some times if you are using an old one) and fee will be 1,900 baht for extension and if you want re-entry permit 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi.

I would urge you to forego the agents and do it youreslf, it's easily done and not onerus at all, with the appointment you have you should be done and dusted within half an hour. And as the previous poster suggests, do take some proof of address with you be it a housebook or a lease aggreement - also, make all the copies you'll need beforehand, saves the time and stress of having to do it mid interview, if in doubt, copy it.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity for the past couple of years the Imm. Off. has required a signature on a proof of income statement that is all in Thai. Does any one know what this form says and is their a translation of it. If I remember correctly it asks for yearly income so I had to take my monthly embassy doc. in $ and multiply it out to Baht. Also just a heads up that you may need to know yearly income in Baht and not just monthly as from embassy so it is easier to be prepared. Saves having to borrow a calc. and do a bunch of button pushes while under the scrutiny of the Imm. Off. I do not like to do even simple math with a bunch of people staring at me.ermm.gif

In Pattaya they also ask for copy of Thai bank book even if extension based on income, as previously stated, get copies of all the documents prior to your appointment so on the day you are not running around and getting stressed out prior to your appointment.m

• Like 1

In Pattaya they also ask for copy of Thai bank book even if extension based on income, as previously stated, get copies of all the documents prior to your appointment so on the day you are not running around and getting stressed out prior to your appointment.m

Good point - always been a requirement for me. But take note - the balance is not important - it is the proof of some type of cash flow I think they are after.

This no longer seems to be the case. I extended recently in Pattaya (using a proof of income letter from the consulate) and they didn't want to see a bank letter. That's OK saved me 200 baht.

This no longer seems to be the case. I extended recently in Pattaya (using a proof of income letter from the consulate) and they didn't want to see a bank letter. That's OK saved me 200 baht.

Bank letter is only required to proof money in the bank in Thailand, not for the income method you used.

In case of the income method a bankbook is often requested, but just to see cashflow and does not have to be supported by a bankbook.

This is not about a bank letter but a copy of a couple of pages of your bank book. You definitely do not need a bank letter.