Ngo Or Sexpat

lovelomsak

@StreetCowboy

I don't think this gentleman has mastered the art of absorbing written matter........maybe I'll give him a helping hand. Hmmm, OK then.........

@ Zatoichi.....the clue is in this statement......see if you can work it out.

So are you saying I should send my wife back to university?

And that I should have left her in the Old Country

I narrowed it down for you to make it a little bit easier. coffee1.gif

Yes Blether, yes he should have left her in what ever "Old" Country he found her in and get a new wife in every new city he visits. Maybe every new street just to play it safe rolleyes.gif

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@StreetCowboy

I don't think this gentleman has mastered the art of absorbing written matter........maybe I'll give him a helping hand. Hmmm, OK then.........

@ Zatoichi.....the clue is in this statement......see if you can work it out.

So are you saying I should send my wife back to university?

And that I should have left her in the Old Country

I narrowed it down for you to make it a little bit easier. coffee1.gif

Yes Blether, yes he should have left her in what ever "Old" Country he found her in and get a new wife in every new city he visits. Maybe every new street just to play it safe rolleyes.gif

It's theblether if you don't mind annoyed.gif

Several years ago in a thread here on ThaiVisa, there was a thread which mentioned attempts to close down Cambodia's Svay Pak and the rampant child prostitution there. While no one actually came out in support of buying young girls and boys, several posters did complain about NGOs sanctimoniously sticking their noses into someone else's business.

Frankly, I am always taken aback by the criticisms leveled against NGOs as a whole by posters here. Sure, there are people abusing the NGO system. Some people are in it strictly to see what they can get out of it. But most, in my opinion, are there to do what they see as good. If some get a nice salary for that, so be it.

This is wholly conjecture on my part, but to me, I wonder if the slings leveled at NGOs in general are kneejerk reactions to a fear of being targeted. Sure, child prostitution is a safe target, but what if they go after adult prostitution next? And then alcohol? And after that, smoking? What if they close down all the bars? "What I am going to do here in Thailand then?"

Like I wrote, that is wholly conjecture without a shred of evidence to lend credence to the theory, and I could be completely wrong. But there has to be some reason why NGOs, whose purported raison d'etre is to do good, are the targets of so many attacks here in the forum.

svay pak should be burned to the ground.

i was taken there years ago by someone who thought i would find it "entertaining".

wrong they were, and i till taste then bile when i think about i today, because up until that visit it was something i was against in only in theory, I could not have conceived the reality.

what i am taken aback by is the lack of efficacy of the the organisations you defend.

i spent today with a man who works for unicef and met some of his co-workers,

they all seem to be doing very well, and are lovely people but i have no idea what they actually achieve,

Conjecture aside, would that they were effective i would applaud, but the sad truth is bureaucratic bloat is endemic in these organisations,

as you said, they are only purported to do good.

it is very difficult to take somebody seriously who is making money hand over fist without getting their hands dirty. the road to hell is paved with good intentions

NGO's - Can save people who are in a situation they WANT to be saved from. The reason you don't see them save a bunch of hookers from the bar is because most whores choose to turn tricks rather than to work a lower paying, harder job. But the jobs ARE available, check out a construction site next time you see one, and look at how many women are out there doing the same work as men. Tough, dirty, hard work, but they keep their dignity intact. How can you rescue someone who doesn't have the integrity to care, and never did?

Wifeing Bargirls - Up too you, if a man feels like he wants to marry a women hundreds or thousands of men screwed for a few pennies, zipped up walked out and forgot her name. Then that's on them. I don't think they personally should be discriminated against. However they should not expect the rest of the world to suddenly see his wife for anything other than a former whore that married a customer.

Personally I would not marry a hooker. I learned at a young age to put things back were I found them. Nuff Said.

Or even a woman with kids from a previous relationship. Not that I think there is anything wrong with that. Infact I think it's a rather noble charity in a way. But I wouldn't because I don't want to raise someone else's kids, and there are TONS of great women out there that don't have kids and never been married. So why burden myself?

I wouldn't take issue with you until I read your last paragraph. Obviously you lack any measure of Christian charity and if your life is predicated in taking care of number one you may well live to regret it in your later years. My wife who has never been near the bar trade, and still will not enter a bar with me, had a life expectancy of 3 months according to the doctor I took her to when we first got together. I was asked if I was going to pay the medical bills and was told that if I didn't the hospital would discharge her. If her life was to be saved I was her only option. She had struggled against all odds for the previous 10 years after being abandoned by her 'husband',often going without food as she could afford to buy only enough for her 2 kids. I couldn't live with myself thinking of her dying and leaving her orphan children looking into no future at all. All that it took to turn the situation around and to ensure that I enjoyed peace of mind was money.

Now she is in perfect health and a joy to be with. Bringing up her kids wasn't easy but I managed to inject some self discipline and education into them and am proud of what they have become. The investment that as their parent I have made in them, and I'm not talking money, has been repaid many times over. Now we are grandparents and I just love the experience. I am most fortunate to be surrounded by a loving and caring family. A simple act of kindness opened the door to my life having some meaning and my reward has been knowing that I was the vehicle that brought significant and lasting change to their lives.

I do not seek the approbation of others over the decision that I made and it is enough for me to know that at a critical moment in several lives, including my own, I did the right and proper thing. I do not know whether my wife or I got the best of the bargain, but I suspect that it is probably me. She, and others, may think that I saved her life; I know that she has saved mine. I have little doubt that there are other farangs who could tell of a similar story where an act of compassion immeasurably enriched their lives.

yada yada yada.

you lost me at christian charity

pat yourself on the back mate, because i wont do it for you.

• Like 1