African/Pakistani English Teachers?

sms747

There are ads in classifieds saying a company working in conjunction with Thai govt agencies is looking for English teachers from Africa, Nepal, India and Pakistan. I thought the rules were that English teachers should only be from English speaking counties, UK, NZ, OZ, Canada etc and not those being sought here. Am I wrong or is it in fact legal for a state School to employ a Pakistani or African as an English teacher?

Cheaper and much worse, but is it legal? I am only worried for the poor devils subjected to such 'teaching'. No wonder English here is so poor, it's not that Thai's are stupid but more the stupid teachers employed.

• Like 1

Cheaper and much worse, but is it legal? I am only worried for the poor devils subjected to such 'teaching'. No wonder English here is so poor, it's not that Thai's are stupid but more the stupid teachers employed.

why would it be NOT legal???

The only losers in all of this are the students. The schools get what they pay for. We pulled TW's daughter out of the 'so called' best private school in our Amphur because of the Filipino English teachers. What a joke and complete waste of our money!

• Like 1

Even if these guys can barely speak English, they'll speak it better than the Thai English teachers most of these schools would have been using before. A lot of Thai schools don't have anyone that can speak English, a cut rate non native speaker is still an improvement

• Like 1

A friend of mine, a very well educated British, once to told me that educated Indians are the people with the best English.

I agree (mostly) some of the Indian engineers I work with have superb English with little trace of the stereotypical Indian accent.

Even 'native' speakers could be an issue, some years ago whilst working in Seoul I met a couple of Welsh girls, both had pronounced Cardiff accents (boyo) and both were teaching 'English'. I feel really sorry for the Korean businessmen who they taught (or maybe they have cornered the market in exporting kimchi to Wales).

• Like 1

The only losers in all of this are the students. The schools get what they pay for. We pulled TW's daughter out of the 'so called' best private school in our Amphur because of the Filipino English teachers. What a joke and complete waste of our money!

The Filopino teachers are actually very good, I have worked with them, but in another school, myself and the other Farang native speaking teachers, lost our jobs at the end of term and were replaced by Filipinos on half our salary.
  • Like 1

A friend of mine, a very well educated British, once to told me that educated Indians are the people with the best english.

And I spoke with one guy from UK, which I really couldn't understand...he works at the docks....

A friend of mine, a very well educated British, once to told me that educated Indians are the people with the best english.

And I spoke with one guy from UK, which I really couldn't understand...he works at the docks....

most of the medics ,at my docs ,are of indian origin.

and speak perfect inglish .

I met an English guy once, whose grammar was worse than mine blink.png

• Like 1

Most call centres in the UK are now using indian staff based in India to save on costs.

They wouldn't have those opportunities if their english skills weren't good enough.

So even in the UK it is happening too.

Going back some years when I was in the UK most of the time, I had many calls from foreign based call centres and I could hardly understand a word that the were saying. But to be honest, I can't understand broad Scottish, Geordie, Welsh and Northern accents and they are native English speakers.

Most call centres in the UK are now using indian staff based in India to save on costs.

They wouldn't have those opportunities if their english skills weren't good enough.

So even in the UK it is happening too.

Going back some years when I was in the UK most of the time, I had many calls from foreign based call centres and I could hardly understand a word that the were saying. But to be honest, I can't understand broad Scottish, Geordie, Welsh and Northern accents and they are native English speakers.

'Smebbeyoo,pal.

Irish, Scottish, Londoner......rolleyes.gif

Apparently some tv members have no problem with Thais speaking with an Indian accent. God bless ´em!!!

This has everything to do with money and face saving. Nothing to do with education. Keep the lower classes low. thumbsup.gif

How about speaking english with a thick cockney or other accent. Come on you guys act like you are the only ones who can speak good English while in fact many of you guys are hard to understand.

Just affraid to loose out on some money.

• Like 1

The only problem with Indians is that they use the present continuous too often, and also with state verbs.

I am wanting

I am needing

I am loving

I am understanding

But some of the Indian guys I know, who are well educated have no grammar problems as well.

The only problem is when the parents see some of the teachers, as they have this thing about white teachers, I worked at a language centre where we had to get rid of some staff who were not white, and replaced them with Polish and Russian so called teachers, the parents, the students, the staff and the management even had problems understanding them, but they were white.