Upgrading To Windows 8....Worth It?

BKS22

Yea i'm sorry using 23'' inch leds screens here also when resizing i was thinking hardly people use small screens these days and can cope with the size of the picture also they are cheap to pick up ..

For 2012 - take note of the bottom paragraph on the linked website for Windows 8 targeted resolution (1366x768)

Move Over 1024×768: The Most Popular Screen Resolution On The Web Is Now 1366×768

Screens with a 1024×768 resolution are a bit like Windows XP: there have long been better options, but they still remained the most often used screens on the web. That is, until now. According to the latest data from StatCounter, 1366×768 screens just surpassed 1024×768 as the most popular screen resolution used by the visitors to StatCounter’s global network of sites. Three years ago, 1024×768 still accounted for almost 42% of all visitors to the roughly three million sites that use StatCounter. Today, that number has fallen to 18.6% and 1366×768 screens now account for 19.28%, up from just 0.68% in May 2009.

top-10-screen-resolutions-from-march-2009-to-march-2012-statcounter-global-stats-1.jpg?w=640

Source

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that picture of a desktop with a flower on it sure says a lot! I am sure am glad he uploaded a big, hi-res image of it. Actually, I would have thought it was stupid to do such a thing but I know I'm wrong to think that because of the poster's handle. We sure are a lucky bunch!

Edited by bendejo

Regarding the Windows 8 Upgrade sign-up site at Link, I've tried several times over the last few days, to include via VPN with a U.S. IP address, and each time when I complete the informaiton on the first screen and click Continue, the next screen that appears from the site a second later basically says I took too long and try again later. I'm not a slow typer and it took me less than a minute to enter the basic info of name, email adress, phone number, date, check the agreement boxes, etc. Anyone been successful?

Regarding the Windows 8 Upgrade sign-up site at Link, I've tried several times over the last few days, to include via VPN with a U.S. IP address, and each time when I complete the informaiton on the first screen and click Continue, the next screen that appears from the site a second later basically says I took too long and try again later. I'm not a slow typer and it took me less than a minute to enter the basic info of name, email adress, phone number, date, check the agreement boxes, etc. Anyone been successful?

I haven't gotten that far. I thought any version of Windows 7 or Vista was eligible. I only see PC's purchases since.....

Perhaps the country you are trying to apply for the upgrade from has something to do with the timing out?

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I haven't gotten that far. I thought any version of Windows 7 or Vista was eligible. I only see PC's purchases since.....

Perhaps the country you are trying to apply for the upgrade from has something to do with the timing out?

MSPain

Hard telling..as mentioned I've tried by just my normal True connection here in Bangkok...and also tried by using StrongVPN which gives me a U.S. IP address. So, if the site is looking at country of origin that means it don't like Thailand or the U.S....and here I thought the U.S. was an important market for Microsoft. tongue.png

Yea i'm sorry using 23'' inch leds screens here also when resizing i was thinking hardly people use small screens these days and can cope with the size of the picture also they are cheap to pick up

My screen's res. is 1920x1080 (Full HD), but I use a higher zoom grade.

I think it's better, to post large images as an attachement with a small preview.

Back to topic. I tried W8 in a VM, didn't find any consistence in the UI. The usability is crap, so the decision was easy...waiting for W9.

I mean, if I want a tablet UI, I just take my Android tablet, but W8 on a desktop/notebook. An absolutely showstopper.

• Like 1

Windows 8 is intended for tablets. If you're installing it on a notebook or desktop PC (with no touch screen), then you'll find youself having to constantly revert to the 'Windows 7' style desktop to access programs and files. It's a real pain in the ass, with nothing to gain! It's also worth mentioning that it won't run (properly) some Windows 7 software that's supplied by manufacturers with their equipment. Sony's 'PMB' picture viewer (supplied with every new camera) is one good example.

In the end, I became so frustrated with it, that I reloaded 7 and had to reinstall all my programss again.

Wow! That is huge agoagohome.....seeing as how I just invested some serious money into a new Sony A55 DSLR, and the PMB picture viewer is most likely the software I'll end up using. Thanks for that info thumbsup.gif

I will upgrade to Win8 when I buy a new computer, but probably not before then. Switching to a new operating system on your current computer can sometimes be a real pain, especially if your current computer is around 3 or more years old and the computer manufacturer does what most manufacturers do in providing limited hardware/software support for older models....a great way to push many people into buying new computers just to avoid the hassle of possible new operating system compatibility issues. I know Win8 is suppose to be compatible with Win7 hardware/software, but there will still be compatibility issues....has been for every operating system realized.

But until I buy that new computer, Win7 works really well, without problems for me...been the most problem free operating system I've had although I did have some compatibility issues when upgrading to Win7. But upgrading from Vista (wash my mouth for saying that word) to Win7 went smooth although I had some third party software compatibility issues which were fairly easily worked out, but as I mentioned above, my computer manufacturer (Toshiba) didn't provide much in terms of laptop unique utilities/programs upgrades since my laptop had just turned 3 years old....I love my Toshiba laptop but after 3 years don't expect any more computer unique firmware/software upgrades from them. I'm really just a basic/home computer user and don't see anything in Win8 that is a must have for me...maybe a nice to have, but not a must to have.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a new computer last Friday, unfortunately I was so focused on the build in SSD (Asus builds in two different SSD's in the same model, on good the other one crap), so I forgot totally to check about the operating system, it's in Thai now clap2.gif , hope I can change to english with an upgrade to Win8. Installed already some Linux OS, but they crash far to often.blink.png

I've been using W8 for about a week (the actual release version from MS Technet) along with Office 2013 trial. After that time I have reverted to W7 and Office 2010 mainly because W8 gives no significant advantages and W7 looks nicer (no Aero in W8).

W8 is quite usable on a desktop and the release has a nice big 'desktop' button on the Metro start screen that gives you the familiar look.

Sadly it looks like W3.1, bland icons, square cornered windows, no gadgets (without a 3rd party application). The eye candy is not essential to operation, it just makes things more pleasant to look at if you're sat in front of it all day.

Not being a Luddite if a service pack brings back the option of Aero I'll give it another go.

I've been using W8 for about a week (the actual release version from MS Technet) along with Office 2013 trial. After that time I have reverted to W7 and Office 2010 mainly because W8 gives no significant advantages and W7 looks nicer (no Aero in W8).

W8 is quite usable on a desktop and the release has a nice big 'desktop' button on the Metro start screen that gives you the familiar look.

Sadly it looks like W3.1, bland icons, square cornered windows, no gadgets (without a 3rd party application). The eye candy is not essential to operation, it just makes things more pleasant to look at if you're sat in front of it all day.

Not being a Luddite if a service pack brings back the option of Aero I'll give it another go.

In fairness they dumped gadgets a while back to improve security.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Try and get a copy of release 9200 (know anyone who is a MS Technet subscriber?).

There have been a number of changes since 8400 that make (IMHO) Metro more friendly. Didn't stop me going back to W7 mind although my W8 is still sitting on a virtual partition in case MS do some radical surgery.

Try and get a copy of release 9200 (know anyone who is a MS Technet subscriber?).

There have been a number of changes since 8400 that make (IMHO) Metro more friendly. Didn't stop me going back to W7 mind although my W8 is still sitting on a virtual partition in case MS do some radical surgery.

They release a bundle of updates including a 170Mb monster which I detailed earlier or elsewhere. Apparently this is the first time M$ have done this between RTM and release.

Great feedback fellas. And I appreciate the links.

I think I'll take Harrry's suggestion and register, and keep the download in a file for awhile until it's had time to digest with more users in the general population.

Windows 7 has not given me any immediate reasons to want to replace it.

Careful. I think you have to erase everything to uninstall that.

Normally when I upgrade to a new Windows I look forward to new and better ways to do things. All I found with this (admittedly on a non touch PC) was wonderment at where everything had gone and what I had lost. I felt like it was going to be an enormous waste of my time so back to WIn 7.

Edited by Digitalbanana

I just bought a new computer last Friday, unfortunately I was so focused on the build in SSD (Asus builds in two different SSD's in the same model, on good the other one crap), so I forgot totally to check about the operating system, it's in Thai now clap2.gif , hope I can change to english with an upgrade to Win8. Installed already some Linux OS, but they crash far to often.blink.png

Does it have a Microsoft COA or was it an unlicenced install of Windows 7?

Every time windows comes out with a new os the same thing happens, people start whining thats it not as good as the os replaced blah blah blah, Im running win 8 no problems on desktop and laptop. Move on and move up people, try something new for once without complaining for a change.

• Like 2

Normally when I upgrade to a new Windows I look forward to new and better ways to do things. All I found with this (admittedly on a non touch PC) was wonderment at where everything had gone and what I had lost. I felt like it was going to be an enormous waste of my time so back to WIn 7.

I completely bypass Metro and go straight to the Desktop - with a Start button (Thanks to Sourceforge's Classic Shell). And Windows 8 is faster than 7.

However, I've order a 27" Touchscreen All-in-One on which I probably will give it a proper try. There is no point in trying to use Metro on a non-touchscreen device, I still think Microsoft have f**ked up badly trying to tell people there is.

The computer I am on now goes right to the old interface without any 3rd party software.

I also have a PROGRAMS shortcut on the Taskbar which lists anything in the Programs folder. I can add almost anything I want to this folder.

I do go to the Start screen for some tasks which are easier to perform there than in the Desktop.

Look for something wrong and you will probably find it.

MSPain

The computer I am on now goes right to the old interface without any 3rd party software.

I also have a PROGRAMS shortcut on the Taskbar which lists anything in the Programs folder. I can add almost anything I want to this folder.

I do go to the Start screen for some tasks which are easier to perform there than in the Desktop.

Look for something wrong and you will probably find it.

MSPain

I have played around a few days now whit win 8, and i think i would learn to live whit it if i had to, but i can't see any advantage comparing to win 7, so why would i change now?

It's not noticeable faster, it dont look so good(no Aero) so i will wait.

it dont look so good(no Aero) so i will wait.

I looks like two systems to me, the new UI with tiles and new Segoe fonts, plus the old Windows and desktop hidden underneath with a completely different look and missing Aero. Like someone rammed a toaster and a refrigerator into one that does all, but looks a mess.

Yep - Classic Shell.

And it removes that shitty Metro if you have a desktop computer without a touch screen.

Once you've done that it's rather OK.

They should have released a Desktop version like they are releasing a Phone version.

Bunch of eejits.