Do We Even Understand Each Other?

GuestHouse

GH,

I think it's more the circles you mix in and the way you choose to live your life.

Fletch, I think the responses in this thread demonstrate very well that the truth of the observation has nothing to do with my own personal choices in the way I live my life.

I have asked if we actually understand each other and have given the examples of different ways of life here in Thailand as example - The responses indicate the underlying truth in my observation - It is clear that many really do not have a clue about the lives of their fellow expats.

The issue is as much about City Dwelling Expats not understanding Country Living Expats as it is about employed/retired/self funded expats.

Not sure the responses are really that conclusive GH: of the 50 posts a good proportion are tongue in cheek. Personally I can relate more to tmd5855's perspectives on life, and wearing different hats/ trying different things.

One of the things I've really enjoyed in Thailand is the opportunities to do so much more than back home, in so many ways and to such contrasts. In my time here I've been:

- expat/ halfpat/ LHFN and local for packages - big salary/ small salary/ no salary

- working/ not working/ student at university/ did a few weeks hands on TEFL teacher training, retired are all different statuses

- big place to live with private 4 bed house/ small 1 bed place

- city based, but travelled/ stayed up country for extended times. Even a week or so up country, sleeping on the floor in concrete "houses", no air con, scooping water from a big tub as a "bath", chickens running around waking you up at 5am etc gives you an understanding of life like that. As does visiting and staying with upcountry rural friends

- single party guy / married no kids/ family man

When I look at many of my friends I'm not alone in choosing to do and try new things and experiment.

I came on a nice 2 year contract as a single guy. After that finished it was me that chose not to move on, and stay and do different things. That's why I'd say it's more down to the choices you make.

I know from your background, you've a decent job, and move from time to time on good packages. The key driver for you is your job, and you make a good lifestyle out of it. While your job is your focus, it sort of gets in the way of experiencing other ways of life. For others, though they have a different focus, and the job is not the key. Once you get more flexible and change your focus, then you get flexible with your lifestyle and with that the understandings of different people you meet. That's a key point. You could choose to try and understand. Your priorities are just different and you choose not to.

Thailand is full of contrasts and opportunities. As a foreigner it's your call where you put your priorities, and you can be many things here you couldn't so easily be back home. :)

• Like 2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know though......there is one thing that unites everyone who has chosen to live an ex-pat life, on a company package or otherwise.......each and every one of you has had the bottle to have a go.

As Norman Tebbit said, you " got on your bike ", and you got on your bike to make a better life for yourself or family. The motivation could have been travel, employment, retirement whatever, the bottom line is that you stepped out of the norm and tried.

Far too many people go through lives in the starting gate, you can't say that about ex-pats. Many ex-pats shot out of their starting gate as soon as they could, ( villagefarang is a prime example, finished Uni then took off to Thailand where he has now lived for 35 memorable years ), many may have lived conventional lives in their own countries for a substantial period before moving, however every single ex-pat has one thing in common......eventually they went through the departure gate.

So that unites all of you, you have all had the bottle to go through that departure gate and try..............and that's a far better way to live your life than entrapping yourself within small horizons.

I'll be quiet now. smile.png

• Like 1

I don't understand that when l tell farang folk that l am not one of the rich guys, they blow me out laugh.png . And yes l laugh, l am one that took a chance, because of stuff, and am OK. These so called countrymen really are the pits in my eyes. ooooooooop's am l on topic or nooooo. ? laugh.png

Must confess that my Thai friends treat me with huge respect for who l am and where l come from, embarrassing at times but l ensure that they feel l am no better than them. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

You know though......there is one thing that unites everyone who has chosen to live an ex-pat life, on a company package or otherwise.......each and every one of you has had the bottle to have a go.

As Norman Tebbit said, you " got on your bike ", and you got on your bike to make a better life for yourself or family. The motivation could have been travel, employment, retirement whatever, the bottom line is that you stepped out of the norm and tried.

Far too many people go through lives in the starting gate, you can't say that about ex-pats. Many ex-pats shot out of their starting gate as soon as they could, ( villagefarang is a prime example, finished Uni then took off to Thailand where he has now lived for 35 memorable years ), many may have lived conventional lives in their own countries for a substantial period before moving, however every single ex-pat has one thing in common......eventually they went through the departure gate.

So that unites all of you, you have all had the bottle to go through that departure gate and try..............and that's a far better way to live your life than entrapping yourself within small horizons.

This is getting worrying now, as I agree with all of that as well wink.png

On my trips back home (I am an expat that does go home from time to time to see the family) I detect a level of respect and admiration from certain people I know and meet there, mainly because they know they would never have the balls to do what I did themselves.

• Like 1

No need to be quiet, you should speak up more

Thanks very much tmd5855........I find it difficult to express my opinions on the forum. I rarely ever comment as I'm a quiet sensitive chap. I will certainly consider finding the courage to post more on Thaivisa.

Thank you very much for your encouragement. mellow.png

Thanks very much tmd5855........I find it difficult to express my opinions on the forum. I rarely ever comment as I'm a quiet sensitive chap. I will certainly consider finding the courage to post more on Thaivisa.

I'm speechless! ohmy.png

I'm speechless! ohmy.png

Me too mellow.png

That's because I is shy closedeyes.gif

I have to say Blether your quote from Norman Tebbit was pretty awful,and taking the P*** considering he never had: "got on your bike" in his lifetime,and probably never had to stoop so low,even as an analogy either!

You obviously was too young to grasp that era?

Edited by MAJIC

I have to say Blether your quote from Norman Tebbit was pretty rich,and taking the P*** considering he never "had to get on his bike" in his life,and probably never had to stoop so low,even as an analogy either!

I'll just let that comment pass MAJIC coffee1.gif

I have to say Blether your quote from Norman Tebbit was pretty awful,and taking the P*** considering he never had: "got on your bike" in his lifetime,and probably never had to stoop so low,even as an analogy either!

You mean when the UK made the transition from manufacturing industry to bugger all industry?

Yeah I remember it....and many towns and villages in Scotland have never recovered from the fallout.

I'm sure its the same in the North of England.....you don't need to be that old to remember those times.....none of us understood the whole loadsamoney character either...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

You mean when the UK made the transition from manufacturing industry to bugger all industry?

Yeah I remember it....and many towns and villages in Scotland have never recovered from the fallout.

I'm sure its the same in the North of England.....you don't need to be that old to remember those times.....none of us understood the whole loadsamoney character either...coffee1.gif

You got it! and there's much, much, more,that can't be discussed on this topic.

I have to say Blether your quote from Norman Tebbit was pretty rich,and taking the P*** considering he never "had to get on his bike" in his life,and probably never had to stoop so low,even as an analogy either!

Sorry buddy! but circa 45 year olds? often mistakenly think Tebbit and Maggie was the greatest since sliced bread. Sorry about the slight deviation off topic.

Edited by MAJIC

Sorry buddy! but circa 45 year olds? often mistakenly think Tebbit and Maggie was the greatest since sliced bread. Sorry about the slight deviation off topic.

Oh well you've started it now MAJIC so I may as well rise to the bait........so my family were employed in the steel industry in Motherwell, I was an apprentice engineer at Ravenscraig steel works, my father was the local chair of ASTMS. So we were both union card holders. Other members of my family were employed in texstyle's and mining.

So there you go, card carrying union men, all of us......what's your point? I suggest you be very careful making it as you may find yourself in a battle that will embarrass you.......go ahead.

• Like 1

Oh well you've started it now MAJIC so I may as well rise to the bait........so my family were employed in the steel industry in Motherwell, I was an apprentice engineer at Ravenscraig steel works, my father was the local chair of ASTMS. So we were both union card holders. Other members of my family were employed in texstyle's and mining.

So there you go, card carrying union men, all of us......what's your point? I suggest you be very careful making it as you may find yourself in a battle that will embarrass you.......go ahead.

As you know Blether we are going to go off Topic big time on this one,so I will be happy to engage this subject at,another time. As long as the Topic is within TV rules,embarrass me,by all means, if that is your intention,but of course the members will always decide.

And by the way there was no bait for you to rise to,merely my comments! on a particular obnoxious MP,of that particular era, of which you seem a bit tetchy about.

Edited by MAJIC

I know from your background, you've a decent job, and move from time to time on good packages. The key driver for you is your job, and you make a good lifestyle out of it. While your job is your focus, it sort of gets in the way of experiencing other ways of life. For others, though they have a different focus, and the job is not the key. Once you get more flexible and change your focus, then you get flexible with your lifestyle and with that the understandings of different people you meet. That's a key point. You could choose to try and understand. Your priorities are just different and you choose not to.

Thank you for your contribution.

You've given the exact pre-loaded assumptions, off the shelf view that demonstrates the point I'm making. - I could not have hoped for a better example of an expat not understanding another expat.

Again thank you.

Two types of people I do not know or understand:

The corporate types

New hansum arrivals, flush with cash drawn here for the cheap booze and cheaper floozies Often divorced many times they scoff at marriage as it is for fools. They do everything they can to avoid the culture, makes no difference if its Thailand or Cuba.

Cant say I much care for or about either, obviously they care not a wit about me.

I dont usually read Stick but came across a good blog abt how bkk.expats have changed.

For better for worse

I like Guesthouse but he often seems to bring up social class in a discussion. Seems to be an English thing. Like many Thais, he seems like a nice well meaning person, but has to continually remind you and himself of his special upbringing and good breeding. As an American, we tend to give more credit to those who achieve things themselves and don't consider being born to a wealthy family as an achievement, but obviously in a heavily class society like England or India or Thailand, it is of great importance. Even that famous Thai musician and author who is undoubtedly more of an intellectual than I could ever dream of being can't help but drop comments about his bloodline. It's just a social quirk.

As an American, we tend to give more credit to those who achieve things themselves and don't consider being born to a wealthy family as an achievement,

You are saying that as a poor American, people from rich American families are even bigger snobs and wouldn't even talk to you.

• Like 1

You are saying that as a poor American, people from rich American families are even bigger snobs and wouldn't even talk to you.

There are plenty bad apples (like those on Wall Street) but plenty too whom have dedicated themselves to charity like Gates and Buffet and numerous others.

But you miss the point. Class is celebrated in Thailand throughout all classes. It is not in the USA. There are plenty of snobs sure but we aren't very impressed by them. Remember, we were a bunch of rednecks who threw the King and his well dressed tea sipping "soldiers" out of the country and have not looked back.

I like Guesthouse but he often seems to bring up social class in a discussion. Seems to be an English thing. Like many Thais, he seems like a nice well meaning person, but has to continually remind you and himself of his special upbringing and good breeding.

We all like ro be liked and I thank you for that, but 'special upbringing and good breeding' - I have to chuckle at that.

That asside, the observation I have made has no relationship at all to social class - I've gone as far as to explain a discussion on social class would be a different thread which I have no desire to start as there are so many Brits around (noting their sensitivity to the socisl class thing).

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

Humans are complicated and understanding others can be very difficult.

I don't think this issue is specific to people who reside in (or visit) Thailand.

-----------------------

rolleyes.gif

That I understood!

Human beings were born in, grew up in, and have taken their "norms"....ideas of what is normal behaviour....from a mixture of all those influences they have experienced.

Havong worked and lived in litterally a dozen countries since I left my "home" in the Northeast U.S.A. over 40 years ago I've had to adapt to many percieved "norms" since that time.

For example, the "norm"....normal behaviour pattern...is quite different from living in, for example, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and Bangkok, Thailand.

Sometimes people forget that their everyday behaviour...their "norm"....depends on their current experiences.

When they do that that's when they have problems trying to understand and communicate with other people.

It's just that their pre-concieved "norms" get in the way of attempting to understand the pre-concieved norm of that other person.

Usually, it's possible to work around these pre-conceptions...and arrive at some kind of compromise with that other person on a shared "norm".

I've had to do that most of my life.

I'm 66 years old now and retired in Bangkok...so I've had a lot of practice in making such mutual compromises.

It's definately not something unique to Thailand.

wai.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I understand people from all walks. I don't agree with much of them, but I understand.

Someone said earlier that people are more interested in getting you to understand them then they are in understanding you. This is so true, especially here in Thailand. You would be amazed at how many conversations you can have with people without contributing more than two sentences and occasional nods.

People don't give a crap about what the other guy has to say, it's all me, me, me. or sometimes my agenda, my agenda, my agenda.

Lately I have given up making any points in a face to face conversation, it is a waste of time. if I have to talk to someone, I let them say their piece and move on. Folks don't even ask your name any more.

• Like 1

I understand people from all walks. I don't agree with much of them, but I understand.

Someone said earlier that people are more interested in getting you to understand them then they are in understanding you. This is so true, especially here in Thailand. You would be amazed at how many conversations you can have with people without contributing more than two sentences and occasional nods.

People don't give a crap about what the other guy has to say, it's all me, me, me. or sometimes my agenda, my agenda, my agenda.

Lately I have given up making any points in a face to face conversation, it is a waste of time. if I have to talk to someone, I let them say their piece and move on. Folks don't even ask your name any more.

Read somewhere that "everyone is the sum of all the people they have ever met "

Thank you for your contribution.

You've given the exact pre-loaded assumptions, off the shelf view that demonstrates the point I'm making. - I could not have hoped for a better example of an expat not understanding another expat.

Again thank you.

Haha.. easy young man. I was just trying to suggest a few reasons for why YOU don't understand your fellow expats. Many of us do...

You made the quote:

But it goes both ways, while my very best friend here in Thailand is what I shall refer to as a privately funded expat, not yet retired but not working, I actually don't really know another folk like him (beyond superficial acquaintance).

So aside from one friend who is unlike you, you don't know any other privately funded expats as friends.

So what's the reason then for you not having other friends in such varied lifestyles? Why is it you don't understand, when many of us do? Isn't that the question?

:)