Tollway Crash Teenager Gets Two-Year Suspended Sentence

Lite Beer

Not sure I mentioned anything about money in the above post .... that is because I think every adult with basic knowledge of things knows that people with money have a huge advantage, pretty much across the globe, when it comes to the court/law system.

money is number ONE here in Thailand - and no... it's not the same 'pretty much across the globe'... try buying your way out in US or Europe after a traffic accident

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) What kind of point are you trying to make by "it's not only like that in Thailand, but practically everywhere"? I don't get it! Does that make it any better? Just because you can always find an example that is as bad or worse elesewhere, does proove exactly...what??? It's worse to bath a dog in petrol and set it on fire than just give you a slap in the face! Nonetheless, both things are bad!

2) So just for the sake of the argument, it was not a car she got for her birthday. It was borrowed! Again: where is the point??? She was 16, that means she was no "little child" (at least I think, a 16-year old should know, that doing certain things has consequences)...and I guess she knows that driving a car without a license is somehow wrong...why THE HELL did she get the idea to borrow a car? And for what? And even worse: who the hell gave it to her? And still: the MOTHER stated, she liked speeding! Meaning? This happened before, right?!

So quote the letter of tha law all you like, call her a minor or whatever: everything in this case says CARELESS!!!

And if she regrets and learns something? We should be gentle with her? Right! We should!

Did she regret and learn?

As far as I know, "the driver of van was cutting in front of me" doesn't sound a lot like it!

Again: he could only cut in front of her, because she was THERE! Speeding, in a car, she wasn't allowed to drive!

That is a fact! (I guess...unless some unnamed sources tell you or other know-it-all's differently).

• Like 1

1) What kind of point are you trying to make by "it's not only like that in Thailand, but practically everywhere"? I don't get it! Does that make it any better? Just because you can always find an example that is as bad or worse elesewhere, does proove exactly...what??? It's worse to bath a dog in petrol and set it on fire than just give you a slap in the face! Nonetheless, both things are bad!

2) So just for the sake of the argument, it was not a car she got for her birthday. It was borrowed! Again: where is the point??? She was 16, that means she was no "little child" (at least I think, a 16-year old should know, that doing certain things has consequences)...and I guess she knows that driving a car without a license is somehow wrong...why THE HELL did she get the idea to borrow a car? And for what? And even worse: who the hell gave it to her? And still: the MOTHER stated, she liked speeding! Meaning? This happened before, right?!

So quote the letter of tha law all you like, call her a minor or whatever: everything in this case says CARELESS!!!

And if she regrets and learns something? We should be gentle with her? Right! We should!

Did she regret and learn?

As far as I know, "the driver of van was cutting in front of me" doesn't sound a lot like it!

Again: he could only cut in front of her, because she was THERE! Speeding, in a car, she wasn't allowed to drive!

That is a fact! (I guess...unless some unnamed sources tell you or other know-it-all's differently).

The bottom line is the lack of remorse and self centeredness. On her hand phone texting friends about how there are all kinds of dead people scattered about due to her car wreck shows how poorly taught by her parents she is

. Why people were merely observing her doing this and not smashing her phone and her teeth I'll never understand. Sooner or later her bad deeds and lack of regard for human life should catch up with her.

• 2 months later...

What punishment would be fair for a young girl of her age? Should she be put in prison for the rest of her life as an example for the other underage drivers around or should the one that gave the keys to that Civic go to jail?

Sorry to say that this sentence doesn't come as a surprise, just a confirmation.

The parents should be imposed to pay compensation to the victims, leaving them bankrupt if necessary and jailed for a term of at least 5 years, plus the 16-year-old girl given a lifetime driving ban.

Although the victims can never be really compensated for their pain and suffering, at least that would be real justice seen to be done in this case.

The outcome today is an insult to the memories of those who died and of others that has been affected and possibly lives ruined by this event.

I believed the UK was bad enough at being renowned for dishing out soft justice, but this really beats all. A total sham and injustice. If the situation weren’t so tragic, it would almost be laughable.

This is the best post on this topic so far and totally what should happen to her. The girl was 16 at the time. Yes, she made a mistake that resulted in a terrible accident BUT she was old enough to know the consequences of her actions and should pay the price. At the very least a life time driving ban. I mean come on seriously, letting this maniac back onto the road in 7 years time once she's 25 so she can kill another few people? This girl can't drive and she should suffer for the rest of her life knowing what she did. She should also spend a year or two in jail and be forced to pay 20% of her salary for the rest of her life to the victim's families and loved ones and/or a road victim's rehabilitation fund or road safety fund.

Killing 9 people, even by accidental means is NOT normal and NOT excusable, and there can never be any real forgiveness. Sad as it is, but the damage has already been done and can never be undone, which is something we can't forget here. The only thing that would help now is real justice. Unfortunately, the only justice the victims can get is that this girl will likely have to remain abroad, possibly for the rest of her life in order to avoid being killed by a family member seeking revenge for what happened.

• Like 2

In addition to my previous mail: there is a roadsign that says "80" - meaning that is the top-speed you are allowed to go- you check your meter.

If your meter says "120" and you are not slowing down...or you don't even bother checking it...it is no mistake, no error, not unintentional, no tragic accident!

It is careless (as in "I don't care"!) or negligent...to say the least!

Not enough that this whole family in question makes sad excuses for the tragic loss of innocent life- you do, too!

So, you have never accidentally sped? Wow.

I myself have been doing 120KM when the zone changed to 80KM and I DID NOT SEE THE SIGN. One brief moment of looking away, small distraction of any kind, and now I am speeding recklessly. Is it because I "don't care" as you seem to think? No, its not.

You don't really need a sign to tell you what is the safe maximum speed of a particular section of road. Proper training, experience and judgement are what is needed. Even though a sign may say 80kmph at certain times 40kmph may be the safe speed due to exceptional road conditions, fog, rain, heavy traffic etc. Just because the sign says 80kmph doesn't mean you have to drive at 80kmph.

In Thailand however I have witnessed many road signs showing max speeds that make no sense. Many I have encountered suddenly drop the speed but the road conditions are the same or even better. Don't notice the sign and carry on at your previously entitled max speed and a policeman jumps out to stop and fine you. Thai friends have told me that such signs as those are placed for money-making and have nothing to do at all with what is safe or not.

The road running parallel to the rail track in Pattaya has a general speed limit of 50kmph. However there is one section, a dangerous 'S' bend where the posted speed limit is INCREASED to 80kmph. I would love to know the Thai reasoning/logic behind that one.

Me too. And the other things you'll find on Thai roads (or won't find) are: well, speed limit signs! Compared to most other countries, they are fairly rare. And as you correctly stated, even when you see them they are either barely visible or illogical. The speed limit on say, Phahonyothin road under the Skytrain is generally 80km/h, which is way faster than you could ever hope to drive between 6am and about 10pm. Even if you could reach that speed, it's quite dangerous given the unpredictable nature of motorcyclists doing U-turns and the large number of traffic lights. 60km/h would make more sense on that road. In the same vein, the expressways all have speed limits of either 80 or 90km/h when 100-120km/h would clearly be more appropriate and only 10% of drivers (mostly trucks) stick to those ridiculously low speed limits anyway. On highways, it's 90km/h when perhaps 100km/h would be appropriate but many drivers do 150km/h (much too fast of course) yet on the safest roads (eastern outer ring road and Bangkok-Chonburi motorway, the only roads in Thailand with a 120km/h speed limit) strangely, many drivers don't even go anywhere near the speed limit but coast along at 100km/h in the far right lane. Conclusion: bizarre speed limits and perhaps even bizarrer driving habits displayed by Thai drivers.

So she gets two years imprisonment suspended for three years that's about about two and a half months imprisonment per person! And banned for a year per person!

If I remember correctly it was her fathers (who is a ranking military/police officer) vehicle? My reasoning is that he either gave her the keys, thus giving permission to drive without a license and insurance or she stole it!

Take your pick if he gave her permission then serious consideration should be given to prosecute him for aiding and abetting or she stole it, and she should be charged accordingly.

The ONLY good thing to come of this is that it has been made public and hasn't been swept under the carpet.

I wonder what the (Thai) 'man on the street' thinks about this? I think I know the answer!

The whole thing makes me want to bah.gif

• Like 2

Two-Year Suspended Sentence

seems pretty much swept under the carpet to me

I guess the Red Bull heir will only get one year suspended since he only killed one cop

I guess he is just gonna pay money under the table and nobody would even bother him ever again.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

Anyone who knows anything about Thailand knows that there has never been a rule of law in this country .

The rich and well connected can get away with anything, including cold blooded murder of a cop in front of dozens of witnesses.

and then become a shooting instructor for the Police?

• Like 1

Justice is a distant bell, rarely heard in Thailand!

Compensation ....is how Justice is interpreted here . The concept of "justice" based on principle or moral righteousness is alien and often the cause of misunderstanding and anger .

I wonder if more people have an issue with connected/wealthy folks 'getting away with it' or if it's more frustration and resentment at not having the same all access passes.

:)

My resentment is with them getting away with it as the law is all we have and if it is broken or unfair we have nothing and might decide to take justice in our own hands and then the problems start. In this case because she was a minor its hard to punish her. If can be proven her parents knew and did nothing they should be held accountable.

I know you got money Heng so you might see it different. I also dont know how i would react if i could bribe me out of big trouble. But that is the problem it should not be possible

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Not saying I don't get annoyed by some miscarriages of justice. I do think it's easy to criticize the game (like an armchair quarterback) when one isn't in the game or anywhere near the field though. How many people wouldn't hit that near omnipotent 'reset' or 'do over' button for their child if there was even the slimmest of margins that they felt it was justified?

I wonder if more people have an issue with connected/wealthy folks 'getting away with it' or if it's more frustration and resentment at not having the same all access passes.

My resentment is with them getting away with it as the law is all we have and if it is broken or unfair we have nothing and might decide to take justice in our own hands and then the problems start. In this case because she was a minor its hard to punish her. If can be proven her parents knew and did nothing they should be held accountable.

I know you got money Heng so you might see it different. I also dont know how i would react if i could bribe me out of big trouble. But that is the problem it should not be possible

Not saying I don't get annoyed by some miscarriages of justice. I do think it's easy to criticize the game (like an armchair quarterback) when one isn't in the game or anywhere near the field though. How many people wouldn't hit that near omnipotent 'reset' or 'do over' button for their child if there was even the slimmest of margins that they felt it was justified?

Heng, not saying i would not try the same. The problem is that it is possible.

smile.png

smile.png

Heng, not saying i would not try the same. The problem is that it is possible.

I hear ya.' I view all this more as an academic discussion (and of course I use the term academic somewhat loosely around here), and less of a vent for frustration like some folks.

@heng

Cant say i get frustrated over how much money someone has. More frustrated about justice, then again most of it will never affect me. Im happy as is make enough money for what i want. More is always nice but not always needed.

I love it here just see this as a problem. But even back in the netherlands there were plenty of cases i did not agree with.

Problem is around there parts, people with money set the moral code - they show that having money you can do anything....thus this explains why the majority of people strive to get money through any means possible. This is a Buddhist country? Don't make me laugh.....

Problem is around there parts, people with money set the moral code - they show that having money you can do anything....thus this explains why the majority of people strive to get money through any means possible. This is a Buddhist country? Don't make me laugh.....

Yep. There's a reason why those Buddhas are all gold folks.

The problem is that it perpetuates the very insidious idea that to have money automatically makes you in some way, smarter, better, worthy or competent.

It apparently entitles you to behave like you want with no fear of consequence. That is bordering on the start of chaos. It is then just a matter of time before everyone works that system out and says hang it all, if they can do it, why can't I?

Where in the world do people with money (and power) do NOT set the moral code?

smile.png

Thai morality summarized in a sentence .

absolute spot on - this IS how Thais view it as, largely, they have no moral compass. Well none that I have spotted, it is all simply 'can I do it'? YES you CAN (if you have the cash, connections etc.)

smile.png

Thai morality summarized in a sentence .

absolute spot on - this IS how Thais view it as, largely, they have no moral compass. Well none that I have spotted, it is all simply 'can I do it'? YES you CAN (if you have the cash, connections etc.)

They also don't have as much of a 'spin' trait to try to hypocritically convince themselves that they are morally correct no matter what the decision or outcome.... everything is justified if you rationalize it enough.

Just wanted to add my total and absolute disgust at the lack of justice for the families of the bereaved.

The only comfort I hope for is that the offender, due to the lack of punishment and therefore any belief that she has 'paid' [no pun intended] society for her crime is reduced to being deeply psychologically troubled for the rest of her miserable life.

Then again, when has being psychologically unbalanced ever stopped the maniacal hi-sos from giving the finger to the rest of society?

• Like 2