Do I Need A Letter From Bank If Doing A Retirement Visa With Part Pension Part Cash In Bank

And Khon Kaen last October who asked for a two month seasoning for my 9th succesive

yearly extension. This was the first time they had asked for the bank funds to be there for

two months before the extension application date.

We'll see early next month what new hoops they have this year.

Interesting. You were using what method? Bank account only or the combo method? In any case, that is really odd considering the national rule is three months seasoning (not two) for subsequent extension applications using the bank account method. Maybe they finally got the memo about seasoning (assuming you are using the bank account method) but are still figuring out the detail that the two months is for FIRST time extensions and three months for subsequent ones.

Of course we can't read their minds. Another possibility is that they decided to be suspicious of you specifically for some reason. Again, the national rule for bank account method is two months first time, three months subsequent times, and no seasoning needed for the combo method.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing,

Retirement extension, not marriage, and combination method. I have not given them any reason for suspicion, I don't

work, I dress in shirt and trousers, (I don't even own a pair of shorts or a singlet), and do my 90 day report on the day.

Married for 11 years, lived here quietly all that time except for two one-month holidays in UK.

Goody goody, that's me.

3 years ago when Khon Kaen office opened they gave me back the UK Embassy letter saying it was good for two

years as they know penions go up, not down. 2 years ago they refused the letter as they wanted a new one each year,

and it was the same officer who dealt with me. As I had applied early I had time to get a new letter, but it was close.

Then last year the new two month rule.

My wife grovelled to the female office boss there and I got the extension, but I was warned to make sure

the money was there two months before the next time which I have done. The extension's due early next month so we'll see.

Next year will be fine as two more pensions start January when I'm 65 and then I'll be well over the 65,000 per month requirement.

• Like 1

This must be a marriage extension of stay if only 2 months was the requirement for a 9th extension and there is no combination allowed for them.

You can use bank and pension if married, must be THB 480,000 or more, money in bank for three months.

Not according to police order 777/2551.

A combination of income and money is not allowed for extension based upon marriage to a Thai.

The only way it could be done is if your embassy/consulate used both when issuing your income letter.

Not according to police order 777/2551.

A combination of income and money is not allowed for extension based upon marriage to a Thai.

The only way it could be done is if your embassy/consulate used both when issuing your income letter.

I have been married and living here in Thailand for 16 years first in pattaya then central Thailand and now Chiang Mai, I have used a combination all the time, they ask for thb 40,000 x 12 ie thb 480,000.

Combinations are not accepted.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

• Like 1

From 2.18 of police order.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Your's is the only report of a combination of income and savings being accepted by any immigration office.

I think you are combining them yourself when you obtain your income document from your embassy/consulate not showing the income document and bank book with supporting bank letter that would be required if a combination of income and savings was allowed.

Edited by ubonjoe

applied for retirement visa 7 times now,and always use the income method,never been asked once about finances,good job too as i have very little capital in bank.(bring in cash when i do my yearly trip home) like the flexibilty it gives me.

You mean you apply for a new visa everytime you go home??

Or maybe you meant you've applied for an extension of stay (which is not a visa), 7 times?

Edited by Suradit69

There is no need to have the money in the bank for 3 months.

It just has to be there on the day you apply.

Although one or two Immigration Offices do not seem to understand this.rolleyes.gif

Which Immigration Offices do NOT understand this, please?

Different offices at different times, depends on what mood the officer is in.
  • Like 1

Jingthing,

Retirement extension, not marriage, and combination method. I have not given them any reason for suspicion, I don't

work, I dress in shirt and trousers, (I don't even own a pair of shorts or a singlet), and do my 90 day report on the day.

Married for 11 years, lived here quietly all that time except for two one-month holidays in UK.

Goody goody, that's me.

3 years ago when Khon Kaen office opened they gave me back the UK Embassy letter saying it was good for two

years as they know penions go up, not down. 2 years ago they refused the letter as they wanted a new one each year,

and it was the same officer who dealt with me. As I had applied early I had time to get a new letter, but it was close.

Then last year the new two month rule.

My wife grovelled to the female office boss there and I got the extension, but I was warned to make sure

the money was there two months before the next time which I have done. The extension's due early next month so we'll see.

Next year will be fine as two more pensions start January when I'm 65 and then I'll be well over the 65,000 per month requirement.

Hmm.......Wondering if this is the same Female Office Boss who this year told me that if I wanted to renew my next year extension a couple of weeks earlier than the norm, to make sure I bring a present for her.........I don't think she was joking, but she did have a strange smile!

Or was it a Smirk.

Edited by fishhooks

• 1 year later...

I suspect this is answered somewhere but I failed to find, so help please.

I know I require a bank letter to take to immigration when I renew my yearly visa with the combo of pension and money in the bank.

The question is: Does the letter have to be dated on the day of renewal or can it be done the day before?

I ask because my bank is in the opposite direction to where I have to go to immigration so not so easy as I also can have to wait up to 3 hours for the letter to be done at the bank..

I suspect this is answered somewhere but I failed to find, so help please.

I know I require a bank letter to take to immigration when I renew my yearly visa with the combo of pension and money in the bank.

The question is: Does the letter have to be dated on the day of renewal or can it be done the day before?

I ask because my bank is in the opposite direction to where I have to go to immigration so not so easy as I also can have to wait up to 3 hours for the letter to be done at the bank..

On a good day offices have been known to accept an updated bankbook, ATM slip or current internet printout. It's advisable to redact the latter as their handling/disposal of data will likely fall short of the standards applied elsewhere.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

You are saying your statement of income was less than 65k and you made up the remainder with bank passbook and copy of bank letter was not retained at Chiang Watanna? Just want to be positive on this.

My statement of income was much more than 65K, I think they just wanted to see the bank passbook (usually around Thb500K) as evidence of cash flow, and they did photo-copy it themselves.

They did not want to look at or retain the bank letter.

"My statement of income was much more than 65K ..."

And therefore you were using the income approach, not the combination method.

This last time when I applied at Jomtien my income also exceeded the Baht K65,000 needed for the income only method, but I always bring along photocopies from Thai bank account passbook and manager's letter certifying the balance and listing the foreign sourced deposits. They kept it all.

Edited by Suradit69

There is no need to have the money in the bank for 3 months.

It just has to be there on the day you apply.

Although one or two Immigration Offices do not seem to understand this.rolleyes.gif

Which Immigration Offices do NOT understand this, please?

Hua Hin Immigration is one such location.

Add Kap Choeng to the list as well.

A recent change in staff that seem to be oblivious to the contents of Police Order 777-2551blink.png

You are saying your statement of income was less than 65k and you made up the remainder with bank passbook and copy of bank letter was not retained at Chiang Watanna? Just want to be positive on this.

My statement of income was much more than 65K, I think they just wanted to see the bank passbook (usually around Thb500K) as evidence of cash flow, and they did photo-copy it themselves.

They did not want to look at or retain the bank letter.

My experience too at CW.

In the unlikely case a particular officer decides one is needed you can easily nip downstairs and have one typed up.

They have never made a photo copy of my bank book but indeed they do like to see it as evidence of cash flow.

But that's CW, I guess 'provincial' offices might follow their own rules.

If you are outside BKK it might be safer to get a bank letter the day before just in case. Be prepared for anything I guess.